Miami Defense

BicketyBam

Sep 21, 2010, 10:33:26 PM9/21/10
I've watched both of their games and I still have a hard time deciding
whether they have a top tier defense or not. I can not take anything from
the Buffalo game. They are just putrid on offense. Against GB they managed
186 net yards of offense. 62 net passing yards. Awful. They did manage 20
more yards than the 166 they put up against Miami. Props to them -
improvement! But I can not use them as a barometer to measure an NFL
defense.

So that leaves us with Minn. 10 points against and the TD drive started at
the 1 after a fumble. But the other stats do not say they are the steel
curtain some people think they are. 364 net yards surrendered, 156 rushing
against. And they got a huge assist from Minn when they decided to run it 4
straight times from in close. Minn has no receivers and Favre looks every
like a QB closing in on 40 who missed training camp.

I don't think the Jets will be a good test for them either, but as crazy as
it sounds I think it will be the best offense they will have faced so far.
I think we will know a lot more after they play Brady and the Pats. Green
Bay will also be a good indicator.

I will also go on record as saying that I don't think the Jets defense is
the next coming of the steel curtain. I think they are an above average
defense (but not great) that tends to break at the most inopportune times.

What are your thoughts on the Miami defense?

Michael

Sep 21, 2010, 11:27:24 PM9/21/10

i only saw highlights of their first two games... it appears that the
best way to attack them is on the ends. I'd guess the jets will try
to get LT around the corner. i don't think play action will work well
because the style they seem to play there looks more controlled rather
than attacking and over committed. the guys on the d-line are said to
be stout and the lb's are good at gap control. just an odd guess on
my part, but their defense has settled into that cautious gap control
style partly because they go against their own offense in practice.
the wild cat stuff creates additional gaps, so the defense gains in
patience and discipline against that sort of running attack. the fact
that they are weak on the edges is strictly a manpower issue. the way
the secondary plays, they try to take away the deep stuff by means of
a lot of safety help over the top rather than the way the jets do it
with pressure and man. though, there has been a lot of recent talk
that davis can play man on his side of the field. again.. i have not
seen much of it for myself, so i cant say for sure.

as far as the Miami offense... i could be wrong, but i think they way
to play them is the opposite way the jets defense plays in general.
I'd play gap control. much like the fish defense plays. i guess i
must be crossed up about that, because rex did his best work against
the wild cat with his "BTF" blitz this formation doctrine. it is goint
to be interesting to see what miami does on offense and what the jets
do on defense. IMHO, the coach that can keep ahead of the other one
will get the win. My money is on Rex :-)

.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Sep 22, 2010, 6:54:08 AM9/22/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> I'm figuring the 'Fins are gonna come out throwing. The Jets are gonna be
> challenging
> Henne to throw, and I figure Henning'll be happy to oblige, with Revis
> out.
> They've had a week, and the preseason, to study how Rex likes playin' it
> without Revis.
> The key to me, is if Rex has gameplanned this possibility, so he can make
> a quick
> adjustment, if Henning's successful.
> As for our O, I haven't a clue which Schott will show up. I'm
> apprehensive, since when we
> play a good D, the gameplan takes low scoring as a given (without ever
> testing the
> opposing D), and we do the *play not to lose* O... which to me, is a
> heckuva a lot more of
> a gamble, than playing aggressive O. Those close games can go either way,
> and all ya need
> is one mistake, to blow the game. You may as well take your shots, at the
> very least, you
> may get a few PI calls.
> I'd like to see Keller out wide, with another TE playing, er, TE ;)

If I were going to decide what to do against Rex's 46 and especially that
bunch of guys standing up out of position look, I'd come out quick in
wildcat and race horse the offense. That forces that kind of defense to get
out of what they do best and into some vanilla scheme to make
adjustments...that worries me a little....then they would start to throw. I
just haven't seen enough of Miami's D to evaluate the situation really.

John C TX

Sep 24, 2010, 3:14:15 PM9/24/10
On Sep 22, 5:54 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "buRford" <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:27:24 -0700 (PDT), Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net>

Minnesota dropped 5 passes & shoudl have scored 2 more TD's. The bad
Favre also turned up.

It will be curious to see how tis goes. Nolan should know Ryan & vica
versa.

papa.carl44

Sep 25, 2010, 12:06:13 PM9/25/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'm looking forward to a good game, and I need a little diversion around
now.