Re: Interesting tidbit...

Message has been deleted

yoyodog

Oct 4, 2010, 10:26:11 PM10/4/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
news:3lkka6dmouq9oto8k...@4ax.com...
> From Lisa Zimmerman...
>
> "Speaking of offensive players playing defense, Ryan seems pretty high on
> Joe McKnight’s
> skills at cornerback. McKnight saw his first action last night after being
> inactive for
> the first three games. He held onto the football,which was the main goal.
> However, he’s
> been playing corner on the scout team in practice and has gotten the
> attention of Ryan and
> defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman."
>

> McKnight Island??

If Cromartie can become a stable cover corner opposite Revis we'd have Revis
Island and the Cro's nest :-)

Message has been deleted

John C TX

Oct 5, 2010, 5:19:10 PM10/5/10
On Oct 5, 7:51 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 22:26:11 -0400, "yoyodog" <NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >"buRford" <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> Cromartie's been playing better than I expected, but once Revis comes back & gets into
> game shape, that's when he'll be tested.

buRf this isn't shot at you but game shape is BS and drives me crazy.
He showed up unfit. Most of these guys are less fit in week 16 than
they are in week 2.

Message has been deleted

Ritchie

Oct 6, 2010, 2:39:47 AM10/6/10
> they are in week 2.- Hide quoted text -

Game shape isn't BS. I played during HS and college and after being
off due to injury it takes a couple of weeks to get used to playing
again. I always kept myself in excellent physical shape but after a
layoff due to whatever reason it does take some time to get into game
shape. Nothing prepares you for game play more than constant practice
and playing.

John C TX

Oct 6, 2010, 9:12:43 AM10/6/10

Are you are talking about reaction & playing the game or fitness?
Either way I think you are proving my point. You said when you were
injured & came back. He wasn't injured.

I am talking about fitness and being able to play the game. If it was
timing or a problem with coverage then I would say the lay off was the
problem. Sorry Revis' injury could have been bad luck but in all
likelihood he wasn't training properly. It happened in the 2Q so I
think it is fair fatigue can be ruled out. If it was fatigue then he
proves my point. You can actually get fitter by practicing & training
than you can in a game. He couldn't replicate what a CB has to do?
With his money I find that hard to believe.

Maybe it is semantics but players love saying "game shape" because
playing is more fun and less work mentally.

John C TX

Oct 6, 2010, 9:17:04 AM10/6/10
On Oct 6, 12:11 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Have you ever played?
> I did, whether football or basketball... obviously, far from a pro-level.
> Even a pick-up game of basketball, after not playing in the winter, but being in great
> shape... my bod needed a couple of weeks to really acclimate.
> Revis wasn't unfit... McKnight was.
> No matter how well-conditioned you are, nothing compares to actual competition.  You can
> try preparing for Moss accelerating by you, but it aint the same as the real thing, under
> pressure, when you really stress your bod.  No matter how fit you are, nothing prepares
> you for another guy hitting you, or defending you on the bball court.
> As for week 16, the players are just bruised & battle weary, not less fit.
> Even preparation for a marathon.  You can do all the work, but ya never know how your bod
> is going to respond to the competition. Somebody competing against you, taxes the bod...
> it's something ya just can't simulate in practice/the gym.
> So, maybe *game shape* is the wrong words... maybe better said as competitive shape.
>
> I actually think Revis' first game back, he should be playing the #2 or the slot.  Let him
> work into shape.  I'm really concerned he'll tweak his hammy again, because he hasn't
> really played since the Championship game.

Like I responded to Ritchie we are talking about semantics. If he
couldn't sprint down the field in the 2Q w/o pulling his hammie then I
wold have to argue he was unfit.

As for competition maybe for long distance running but hoop & football
-- a little harder because of talent disparities-- can be replicated &
actually derive more value from repetition in practice. Revis may
have been limited in some of what he could do but he certainly could
replicate the movements and actually surpass the intensity.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Oct 6, 2010, 1:39:22 PM10/6/10
On Oct 6, 1:11 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:19:10 -0700 (PDT), John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Have you ever played?
> I did, whether football or basketball... obviously, far from a pro-level.
> Even a pick-up game of basketball, after not playing in the winter, but being in great
> shape... my bod needed a couple of weeks to really acclimate.
> Revis wasn't unfit... McKnight was.
> No matter how well-conditioned you are, nothing compares to actual competition.  You can
> try preparing for Moss accelerating by you, but it aint the same as the real thing, under
> pressure, when you really stress your bod.  No matter how fit you are, nothing prepares
> you for another guy hitting you, or defending you on the bball court.
> As for week 16, the players are just bruised & battle weary, not less fit.
> Even preparation for a marathon.  You can do all the work, but ya never know how your bod
> is going to respond to the competition. Somebody competing against you, taxes the bod...
> it's something ya just can't simulate in practice/the gym.
> So, maybe *game shape* is the wrong words... maybe better said as competitive shape.
>
> I actually think Revis' first game back, he should be playing the #2 or the slot.  Let him
> work into shape.  I'm really concerned he'll tweak his hammy again, because he hasn't
> really played since the Championship game.- Hide quoted text -

i played baseball. i am positive that i could do the same thing
against the same pitching now at age 43 than i could do when i was
17-21 y/o. i could not "play" basebal now though. BUT... i had a one
year stretch between high school graduation and my first year of
college. even with the one year lay off, i still could have "played"
baseball after 20-40 minutes of stretching. that still means nothing
though. div 3 baseball is not cb in pro football. probably cb would
have the hardest time of any position getting back in form after a
short lay off due to a hammy. being 80-90 % at cb in the nfl is being
a piece of toast. i expect to see cromartie on moss. not revis

John C TX

Oct 8, 2010, 10:54:02 AM10/8/10
On Oct 6, 12:31 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> It's not about sprinting down the field, it's about a challenge to your body that can't be
> replicated in training.  Maybe this analogy can help ya... I'm not a big guy, but I was
> decently strong for my size.  I could do so much in the gym.
> I had a flat tire once.  It was up on the jack, when an 18-wheeler blew by, and the car
> shimmied a bit, and the jack got displaced.  I was terrified... I basically held the car
> up and kicked the jack back into position.  If I hadn't the car would've fallen down.
> No amount of fitness can replicate that.  It's the same for an athlete when challenged.
> The adrenalin kicks in during competition, and the bod responds. The challenge during
> training is totally different.

The adrenaline in the 2Q?

buRf, you are in Dark Ages when it comes to training. A good trainer
can replicate it as can a good program if the athlete or person is
motivated-- I am not one of those freaks. Like I have said previously
we are not talking about football skills but fitness. You absolutely
can replicate and I would bet for the sport of American football
surpass the intensity of a game. It is being done in similar sports
and even in football today. I posted something yesterday about Jerry
Rice who was doing it 20 years ago. In a high intensity program that
focuses on not only the physical hurdles but mental.

Most commentators use that term & I still insist it is total BS. Like
I wrote players talk about game shape because it is less taxing
mentally because it is fun & training hard is a mind f@@@. A
starting defensive player plays 55 downs a game so maybe 6 minutes of
running spread over three hours and you can't replicate that. Sorry
you can & it is done regularly.

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/