Very Interesting Thing About Jets Team "Personality"

Michael

Sep 28, 2011, 10:47:29 AM9/28/11
Although the Jets are known as "talkers" mostly due to the coach, the
type of talk that you hear is idle boasting. There is never any real
"content". Just bluster. There are a few other key things about the
Jets team "personality". You rarely if ever hear any of the Jet
players or the coaches whine or bitch about bad calls, tuff breaks or
illegal hits. Also... Even though Ryan talks up the Jets as wanting to
be a "physical" team and Bart Scott with his "knock someone the hell
out" type commentary the Jets are one of the cleanest teams on the
field. You don’t see any cheap shots from the Jets, low shots, or
"boarder line" head shots on opposing players. For all the boastfull
type smack "talk" that the Jets do, they are actually a very classy
and professional team on the field. A lot of the flags that got
thrown on them in Oakland were BS calls. Especially on Cromartie...
They were very disciplined in their first two games as far as
infractions. It is a sign of good general coaching. If you really
give it some thought, the Jets real personality is quite a bit
different from the media façade. They aren’t a pack of buffoons. Far
from it.

Papa Carl

Sep 28, 2011, 10:52:56 AM9/28/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Honestly...I don't think any team in the NFL is a "pack of buffoons"...it
just isn't the case and I think most players you meet are nice guys for the
most part.

Michael

Sep 28, 2011, 11:05:08 AM9/28/11
On Sep 28, 10:52 am, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Although the Jets are known as "talkers" mostly due to the coach, the
> type of talk that you hear is idle boasting.  There is never any real
> "content".  Just bluster.  There are a few other key things about the
> Jets team "personality".   You rarely if ever hear any of the Jet
> players or the coaches whine or bitch about bad calls, tuff breaks or
> illegal hits. Also... Even though Ryan talks up the Jets as wanting to
> be a "physical" team and Bart Scott with his "knock someone the hell
> out" type commentary the Jets are one of the cleanest teams on the
> field.  You don t see any cheap shots from the Jets, low shots, or
> "boarder line" head shots on opposing players. For all the boastfull
> type smack "talk" that the Jets do, they are actually a very classy
> and professional team on the field.  A lot of the flags that got
> thrown on them in Oakland were BS calls.  Especially on Cromartie...
> They were very disciplined in their first two games as far as
> infractions.  It is a sign of good general coaching.  If you really
> give it some thought, the Jets real personality is quite a bit
> different from the media fa ade.  They aren t a pack of buffoons. Far
> from it.
>
> Honestly...I don't think any team in the NFL is a "pack of buffoons"...it
> just isn't the case and I think most players you meet are nice guys for the
> most part.

papa... there are a lot of teams that have guys that habitually play
to the extent of the rules and then past the extent. there is smoke
from fire and before that there is a the guy that always lights the
match. there are also teams that dont control players well. consider
the titans (cheap shot artists), steelers (head shot and low shot
artits), patriots (ruffing call whiners), cowboys (divas), bengals
(off the field stuff) and so on...

the jets are really a class team once you get past the "strategic"
distractions :-) it also appears to me that they take player conduct
seriously. they will take on a problem case, but if you screw up
after you made your agreement with the team, you are gone. say what
you want about money or production, but i think edwards was gotten rid
of because he continued to act out after he promised managment that
he'd be a good boy if they took a chance.

RävNsfän ®

Sep 28, 2011, 9:20:30 PM9/28/11
--
One thing the Ravens organization has always done was to crush bad-apples
spoiling the locker-room barrel. I'm certain that is a philosophy that Rex

"Talk is cheap ...lets just go play"
Johnny Unitas - Baltimore Colts

Michael

Sep 29, 2011, 1:18:32 PM9/29/11
>             Johnny Unitas - Baltimore Colts- Hide quoted text -

i did not know that mason was a problem... i always thought he was a
class guy... then again, i dont know the ravens too well...

RävNsfän ®

Sep 30, 2011, 5:25:22 PM9/30/11
i did not know that mason was a problem... i always thought he was a
class guy... then again, i dont know the ravens too well...

--
For the most part over the majority of his career in B'more Derrick was a
class guy. Derrick got what he wanted contractually and was content.

Ray Lewis & Ed Reed received potent reworked contracts to lock them up for
the remainder of their careers the year before Derrick's contract was to
expire. Ongoing efforts to renegotiate Mason's own contract through his
agent were not bearing the kind of fruit Mason believed he was due. In the
offseason of that same year Mason's Tennessee neighbor and good friend,
Steve McNair, was murdered. Mason's agent began to release misinformation
which included Mason planning on quitting the NFL to take care of McNair's
family, and then..., that Mason needed to dedicate more time to his own
family as just another reason for his considerations toward retirement.
Finally, ...his agent posted that Mason felt unappreciated by the Ravens and
especially by new HC, John Harbaugh. Harbaugh stated that he had not been
able to even contact Derrick, his messages toward same with Derrick's agent
and at his home had failed to provoke a single response.

This went on for several weeks into Camp the next season before Derrick
personally contacted Harbaugh by showing up to Camp. The Ravens soon
thereafter did manage to negotiate a respectable one year contract that at a
minimum got Derrick into uniform and Camp. That contract did not impress
Mason enough to hide his bitterness toward the organization for failing to
concede a long term contract similar to Lewis and Reed. His discontent often
filled the Ravens locker room mostly directed toward the rookies who were
the only players willing to listen to his constant bitching. Derrick
eventually received a contract adequate enough to retain him up to his being
cut. Ravens management will not comment on what happened beyond the teams
need for youth at the position, however, his closest friends in Ray Lewis
and Ed Reed, would only offer that they would miss him.

Mason was a favorite of mine since his days with the Titans. We went against
him 2-3 times a season when they were still in the AFCN. Mason did bring
everything he had to the Ravens which was greatly appreciated by fans and
management alike. All was well until McNair's murder. Mace was obviously
impacted however, his agent's contract tie in to same toward negotiations
soured many fans when Mason failed to separate himself from his agents
actions. If Mason's issue was the seeming lack of loyalty for what he had
done for the Ravens, and I think that is it, as a Mace fan I would have been
the first to back him. However, this flavor of the NFL is a business and he
like every player has benefited from that shift away the original game.

For what I have to pay for PSL's and anything carrying an NFL logo, my
loyalty remains with the team and the players that played their hearts out
every Sunday to bring a championship home to my city every Sunday during
football season. They were real people that sat down with us to dine and
drink a few beers in local dinners and pubs around town be that after
practice, after a home game win or loss, or during the offseason when they
came home from the job that actually supported them and their families
during the offseason of the game they loved. I really feel for fans that
will never know of such an experience.