WAY OT: Fusion reactor development

Michael

Nov 22, 2010, 1:08:38 PM11/22/10
Since there have been a few threads in here about energy policy and
the evils of fossil fules...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329611/2-2bn-superlab-scientists-creating-star-Earth.html

I have been following this one. It has some real promise. I'd expect
that we'll probably have fusion reactors inside of twenty years.
This would be even better than SBSP

Grinch

Nov 22, 2010, 3:35:09 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 1:08 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Since there have been a few threads in here about energy policy and
> the evils of fossil fules...
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329611/2-2bn-superlab...

> I have been following this one.  It has some real promise.  I'd expect
> that we'll probably have fusion reactors inside of twenty years.
> This would be even better than SBSP

It is a thing to be greatly desired.

But you know the old joke about fusion reactors: They've been 20 years
from ignition for 50 years.

Michael

Nov 22, 2010, 3:37:47 PM11/22/10

yes... but... now we've got some real progress... not just theories
and stories. this could remake the world.

Message has been deleted

eric

Nov 22, 2010, 5:42:15 PM11/22/10

> I read about this last week.
> When I was taking physics classes in the 70s, I always hoped I'd be around to see fusion.
> The unfortunate thing, is with the economy the way it is, & there being such an
> anti-intellectual, anti-science sentiment in this country, I hope this & other research
> dollars won't be cut.  What's great, is that with all the anti-America, America is
> becoming a 3rd-world nation crap, we're still at the frontiers of everything
> future-oriented.

The Chinese will build it. They have the biggest energy problems in
the world, and are graduating the most engineers. It stands to reason
that they will do fusion first.

Michael

Nov 22, 2010, 5:46:59 PM11/22/10

they are too busy eating cats and dogs... fuck them

Message has been deleted

Michael

Nov 22, 2010, 7:28:22 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 7:19 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Despite all of our politicians' claims that green energy technologies
> will provide the jobs for America's economic recovery, the fact is that
> last year China spent more money on green energy research and
> development than the U.S. did.
> --
> graybeard

they ate more cats and dogs too. they like them best if they are
first bludgeoned to near death and put into their grocery bag in
agony. i could really care less if that whole totalitarian shit hole
went up in smoke.

Message has been deleted

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Nov 22, 2010, 9:27:32 PM11/22/10
On Nov 22, 1:08 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Since there have been a few threads in here about energy policy and
> the evils of fossil fules...
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329611/2-2bn-superlab...

> I have been following this one.  It has some real promise.  I'd expect
> that we'll probably have fusion reactors inside of twenty years.
> This would be even better than SBSP

Fusion is dangerous!

What if criminals and prison parolees get a hold of fusion???

There will be massive con-fusion!!!

mr dude (try the veal, please remember to tip your waitress)

RickyBobby

Nov 23, 2010, 3:04:36 AM11/23/10

"buRford" wrote in message

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:08:38 -0800 (PST), Michael <mjd...@verizon.net>
wrote:

I read about this last week.
When I was taking physics classes in the 70s, I always hoped I'd be around
to see fusion.
The unfortunate thing, is with the economy the way it is, & there being such
an
anti-intellectual, anti-science sentiment in this country, I hope this &
other research
dollars won't be cut. What's great, is that with all the anti-America,
America is
becoming a 3rd-world nation crap, we're still at the frontiers of everything
future-oriented.

This has always been our future. I never really thought SBSP terribly
practical... but
that's just me ;)

That global warming fraud has turned a lot of people against science.
Everybody knows that the temperature is controlled by the sun and nothing
else.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Nov 23, 2010, 9:39:50 AM11/23/10
On Nov 23, 3:04 am, "RickyBobby" <nasca...@cox.net> wrote:
> "buRford"  wrote in message

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:08:38 -0800 (PST), Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net>

> wrote:
>
> >Since there have been a few threads in here about energy policy and
> >the evils of fossil fules...
>
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329611/2-2bn-superlab...

> >I have been following this one.  It has some real promise.  I'd expect
> >that we'll probably have fusion reactors inside of twenty years.
> >This would be even better than SBSP
>
> I read about this last week.
> When I was taking physics classes in the 70s, I always hoped I'd be around
> to see fusion.
> The unfortunate thing, is with the economy the way it is, & there being such
> an
> anti-intellectual, anti-science sentiment in this country, I hope this &
> other research
> dollars won't be cut.  What's great, is that with all the anti-America,
> America is
> becoming a 3rd-world nation crap, we're still at the frontiers of everything
> future-oriented.
>
> This has always been our future.  I never really thought SBSP terribly
> practical... but
> that's just me  ;)
>
> That global warming fraud has turned a lot of people against science.
> Everybody knows that the temperature is controlled by the sun and nothing
> else.

not true... we have had drastic temperature/climate changes throughout
the history of the planet and they had nothing to do with solar
cycles. some of them had to do with the production of oxygen, some
were caused by ocean currents/conduction being changed by continental
drift and even some by volcanism (Siberian Traps)

Message has been deleted

Grinch

Nov 24, 2010, 12:18:27 AM11/24/10
On Nov 23, 8:53 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That's because nothing, especially funding research is going to get done, until the public
> > notices that the GOP will block anything in the Senate Obama wants, even when they're
> > policies normally supported by the GOP.  Look at the Start Treaty.  Normally the GOP
> > support this type of thing, but they are now blocking it, for political purposes... who
> > cares if we can't verify the nukes anymore, as long as we can make Obama look bad.  Heck,
> > even Cap & Trade, that's a GOP idea... yet, now that Obama wants it, it's Tax & Trade.
>
> It was Reigel & the Dems that killed the supercollider in TX.  We did
> that while building Seawolf submarines in CT -- Lieberman was the last
> vote on Clinton's tax increase.  So we built 4 submarines that has to
> be manned 2000 sailors-- a sub  that were killed by old man Bush
> because it was Cold war relic-- & we killed the a project that had
> unknown value long term.
>
> As for START, Obama is trying to avoid paying the political price the
> GOP will hit him with once the new Congress sits.  Unfortunately that
> is the way of Washington.
>
> Stupidity has no partisan boundaries.

Al Gore just said ethanol subsidies are bad for the economy and bad
for, yes, the environment, and that he supported them as a politician
-- even cast the tie-breaking vote creating them! -- because "I had a
certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was
about to run for president“.

So the man who won the Nobel Prize for Protecting the Environment sold
out the environment for a few marginal votes in Iowa (that he didn't
even get).

Political self-interest has no partisan boundaries. Apparently no
boundaries at all.

The greatest partisan deceit in politics is: "The *other* party's
people are greedy, stupid, dishonest, evil".

It's the deceit partisans use to fool themselves.

Message has been deleted

Johnny Morongo

Nov 24, 2010, 11:13:06 AM11/24/10
On 11/24/2010 6:23 AM, John C TX wrote:

>> Al Gore just said ethanol subsidies are bad for the economy and bad
>> for, yes, the environment, and that he supported them as a politicianeven cast the tie-breaking vote creating them! -- because "I had a

>> certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was
>> about to run for president“.
>>
>> So the man who won the Nobel Prize for Protecting the Environment sold
>> out the environment for a few marginal votes in Iowa (that he didn't
>> even get).
>>
>> Political self-interest has no partisan boundaries. Apparently no
>> boundaries at all.
>>
>> The greatest partisan deceit in politics is: "The *other* party's
>> people are greedy, stupid, dishonest, evil".
>>
>> It's the deceit partisans use to fool themselves.
>
> Don't get me going about ethanol. It can't be put in a pipeline so it
> moves by barge down the MIssissippi to Houston to blended in with our
> gas to make it cleaner. That grey energy is awful& will never die
> because we are now beholden to farmers and worse ADM.
>
> If energy consumption is the issue then tax it. It would have the
> added benefit of revitalizing our cities as suburban life would be
> made more costly.
>
> If we had only listened to John Anderson.
>
> :)

I actually voted for the man in '80. Write-in, of course.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted