PFT: Giants want to "send a message" to the Jets

Rich - ® ©

Aug 13, 2010, 12:14:26 AM8/13/10
Giants want to "send a message" to the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2010 11:57 PM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Lately, the Jets have tried to attract attention based less on their
accomplishments and more on their words. And that doesn't sit well with the
other New York team, which has accomplished very recently that which the
Jets claim they'll do this year -- win a Super Bowl.

With the two teams squaring off Monday night in their mutual preseason
opener at the new stadium they'll share, some Giants want to show that they
still own New York.

"There's a lot going on right now with the Jets claiming New York and that
it's their town," Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas said, according to Ralph
Vacchiano of theNew York Daily News. "We're not feeding into that. But at
the same time we want to send a message to them that it's still our town.
And it's going to be our stadium."

Not every member of the Giants feels that way. "[I]t ain't about the
supremacy of the Jets and the Giants," defensive end Justin Tuck said.
"That doesn't matter. We could come out of this game and beat them 40-0,
but if they go out and win the Super Bowl and we don't make the playoffs,
then who cares?"

Tuck is right. But we've got a feeling that Jets coach Rex Ryan will be
telling his guys that, before they can own the league, they need to own New
York -- and that since the two teams don't face each other this year, the
only way to do that is to kick the Giants' asses in the preseason.

And, yes, there will be an "F" word or two. Or two hundred.