Re: Callahan Denied

Message has been deleted

Michael

Feb 11, 2011, 10:51:29 AM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 9:44 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To those of you that want anyone but Schott cheer up.
>
> Schott's contract is up.  There looks like a lockout and Schott is
> making $2MM so if there is a philosophical problem then I am sure that
> Woody would like to keep some of that $2MM-- he would have to get a OL
> coach.
>
>  I have been criticized for thinking money drives decisions on too
> many occasions but if there is a problem this could make sense.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/65ah639
>
> For the second time in less than three weeks, the Jets denied a team
> permission to interview one of their assistant coaches. Gang Green
> didn't allow the Titans permission to interview assistant head coach/
> offensive line coach Bill Callahan for their vacant offensive
> coordinator job, according to ESPN.
>
> New Titans coach Mike Munchak had Callahan on his short list to
> replace the recently fired Mike Heimerdinger. The Jets earlier denied
> the Raiders permission to interview defensive backs coach Dennis
> Thurman for its defensive coordinator job.
>
> Callahan, who is under contract, has helped build one of the best
> offensive lines in the league in three seasons with the Jets. Gang
> Green rushed for a NFL-leading and franchise-record 2,756 yards in
> 2009. The Jets finished fourth in rushing this season.
>
> Callahan, who coached the Raiders from 2002-2003, led Oakland to Super
> Bowl XXXVII, which it lost to the Bucs.
>
> HIP TO IT: Right guard Brandon Moore underwent successful hip surgery,
> according to a source. Moore said last month that he put off the
> surgery for a couple years. He will be ready for training camp,
> assuming the new collective bargaining agreement is reached.
>
> Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/02/11/2011-02-11...

imho, woody is the one that is benind shotty... money is not woody's
motive in this case. woody thinks schotty is a football brain trust.
there is no "phylosophical" problem between woody and schotty. woody
is hoodwinked. no problem

Message has been deleted

Michael

Feb 11, 2011, 1:01:06 PM2/11/11
On Feb 11, 11:40 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > imho, woody is the one that is benind shotty... money is not woody's
> > motive in this case.  woody thinks schotty is a football brain trust.
> > there is no "phylosophical" problem between woody and schotty.  woody
> > is hoodwinked.  no problem
>
> How would you know that Woody loves Schott?  Did he appear to make any
> football decsions during Hard Knocks?
>
> The philosophical issues is on the offense and I was implying it is
> between Schott & Ryan as Callahan was supposedly a West Coast Offense
> guy.

nothing i could take into court, but given all the bits and pieces of
the shotty drama, what makes most sense is that woody is enamored with
shotty.

1. it appears to me as if sanchez has on field issues with schotty

2.it appears to me as if shotty was marginalized after the miami
game... players were crediting cav and callanhan for play calling and
game play. the offense also changes quite a bit, with more set
passing plays, less line shifts, and more qb motion. woody would not
be the driving force behind that. it would be rex, sanches and some
of the assistants

3. when rex talks about shotty, my instincts tell me that it is bull
shit political lip servies.

4. mangold wanted the ability to change plays at the line. he was
denied by shotty. i heard the interview with him. mangold sounded
pissed off and frustrated.

5. Santonio Holmes boil over: "Ash Shottenheimer"

It appreas to me that everyone wants a rope around Schott's neck, but
yet they are gouing to retain him. Now where would that be coming
from ???

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Feb 11, 2011, 7:59:16 PM2/11/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I think you are reaching. Most of what you mention is your gut
feeling as is mine but mine is due to the changes made in the offense
since Ryan arrived & what he said. You arguments are fraught with
fallacies and none of them answer why you think he is Woody's guy but
all about you defending your thoughts on Schott;s talents. You don;t
know he is Woody's guy. I think Schott may be gone because of $ &

Schott's contract is up.

Mangold wanted to change the line calls & Schott said no, so?

On Callahan &some players complimenting him I disagree. It is a good
example of grabbing a compliment of one coach & using it to slam
another.

Holmes was referring to not playing in the first series. He then went
on to say they got away from the game plan referring to the fact they
fell behind and had "do what we do to survive." Some writer & editor
created a headline & then tried to make the story support the
headline. Here you go:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/01/24/2011-01-24_santonio_holmes_questions_brian_schottenheimers_playcalling_in_jets_2419_loss_to.html

Callahan is a West Coast offense guy, Sanchez is a West Coast offense
QB...Schott is not a West Coast offense guy....go figure. Woody spends a
lot of time with Schott's old man....anything else is conjecture or flat out
guessing.

John C TX

Feb 14, 2011, 9:19:00 AM2/14/11
"papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:db9b8594-4223-4585...@y4g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/01/24/2011-01-24...

> Callahan is a West Coast offense guy, Sanchez is a West Coast offense
> QB...Schott is not a West Coast offense guy....go figure.  Woody spends a
> lot of time with Schott's old man....anything else is conjecture or flat out
> guessing.

How many years did Schottenheimer work for Norv Turner?

I didn't know Schottenheimer was pals with Johnson. I saw he showed up
at camp. I couldn't find any reference to it. If they are pals then
it may be part of the issue. Whatever the dynamic Rex has to fix it.

Michael

Feb 14, 2011, 11:53:10 AM2/14/11
> it may be part of the issue.  Whatever the dynamic Rex has to fix it.- Hide quoted text -

I thought it was well known that Schotty was pals with Woody. That is
where the problem lies. That is why Schotty was recommended to Rex.
If Rex had the all clear, he would have picked a new OC when he came
to the Jets

Message has been deleted

Michael

Feb 14, 2011, 4:16:30 PM2/14/11
On Feb 14, 2:26 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I thought it was well known that Schotty was pals with Woody.  That is
> > where the problem lies.  That is why Schotty was recommended to Rex.
> > If Rex had the all clear, he would have picked a new OC when he came
> > to the Jets
>
> So well know you can't find it when you search?  Could it possibly be
> so well known because someone assumed it & ran with at a bunch Jet
> sites? It could also be true.
>
> Schott was already here when Ryan came in and I don't buy that Schott
> was crammed down his throat.  If it was a low cost or desperate for a
> job coach like Mangini, maybe, but Ryan was getting a job that year.

i'm not sure "crammed" is the right word. more like "recommended". i
dont think rex knew that schotty was going to be a problem. rex
probably did not see any reason to object. that is what i think. you
can also figure in that rex is a defensive minded coach and he
probably saw it as a huge pluss to keep continuity on the offensive
side of the ball. rex has come to know what jet fans have known.
schotty is not a very good OC. at the very least, schotty's offense
is far from an ideal for sanchez and far from an ideal for a team that
wants to run... or says it wants to run a no frills running game.
just my two cents

cd

Feb 14, 2011, 6:55:11 PM2/14/11

I took the loss to the Steelers pretty bad, thought this was the most
talented offensive team I could recall. Couldn't even bring myself up
to reading any posts, until the word crossed the wires that Callahan
was denied. There was finally hope, of a Schott free Jets. I think
competence can't be faked and Callahan has shown he can do it, as HC
and was able to swallow his pride to become a line coach. I wonder if
the Ryan twin conveyed something positive about Callahan from the
Raiders staff.

I heard that around the leage, Gruden wasn't thought to be brains of
the offense with Raiders or at Tampa; coordinators ran the show and
that is why Gruden is not getting calls for HC coaching positions.

Michael

Feb 14, 2011, 8:16:29 PM2/14/11
> that is why Gruden is not getting calls for HC coaching positions.- Hide quoted text -

I cant say I know much about Gruden, but Callahan has gotten great
results from the Jets O-line. I'd love to see him take over the Jets
offense.

cd

Feb 15, 2011, 8:26:38 AM2/15/11
> offense.- Hide quoted text -

When the Jets HC position was open, I thought for sure the Jets had
inquired about Gruden. Yeah, I was surprised to have heard the same
about Gruden.

Message has been deleted

cd

Feb 15, 2011, 6:53:42 PM2/15/11
> He was on the scrap heap that is why he he allowed such an onerous
> provision in his  contract, i.e.OL/asst head coach.  What makes you
> think he is a good OC?  He was failure as a head coach at Nebraska
> although the offense did score in an awful Big 12 north.
>
>   He is huge improvement over his predecessor at OL but he also has
> much more talent.  He could be much better than Schott but his track
> record doesn't show it.

> > I heard that around the leage, Gruden wasn't thought to be brains of
> > the offense with Raiders or at Tampa; coordinators ran the show and
> > that is why Gruden is not getting calls for HC coaching positions.
>
> So you are saying that Callahan carried Gruden in Oakland?  I think
> Gannon, Wheatley, Brown & Rison might have helped.  All vets and only
> Rison on the decline.  I never heard he is light on talent but that
> makes sense as he is out of work or his price may be set so high
> because he has an easy life?- Hide quoted text -

Which part of "I heard" leads to you believe this is authoritative and
not pure speculation about Gruden. As to Callahan over
Schottenheimer, seen enough of him with two different HC's and there
is nothing that leads me to believe he has any touch for playcalling,
maybe a a good technician. If the Jets retain Schottenheimer, I'd
rather the Jets give up on offense and become as dominant as the great
Raven or Bears defenses, capable of imposing their will on opponents
and winning a championship.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Feb 16, 2011, 2:41:35 PM2/16/11
> Well perhaps you missed the subtlety of the ? mark .
>
> OK, out of curiosity  where did you hear it?  It may be true.  I have
> no idea how good a coach Gruden is but I believe he went to Tampa w/o
> his assistants so that is why I placed a question mark at the end of
> my sentence.  Too many in here operate on legend.  Someone posts
> something or hears a moron on the radio spout out an idea & it becomes
> a fact.

> >As to Callahan over
> > Schottenheimer, seen enough of him with two different HC's and there
> > is nothing that leads me to believe he has any touch for playcalling,
> > maybe a a good technician.  If the Jets retain Schottenheimer, I'd
> > rather the Jets give up on offense and become as dominant as the great
> > Raven or Bears defenses, capable of imposing their will on opponents
> > and winning a championship.
>
> CD, I am not going to fight the Schott battle.  I have problems with
> Schott as well.  I just happen to think many of the negative comments
> that come out about him aren't reflective of the game or the problems.
>
> I watch Big 12 football so I saw what Callahan did.  The Big 12 at
> that time had few good passing teams and the Big 12 north had even
> less-- witness the success of Chase Daniel in Missouri.  I woudl be
> curiou sto see how many DB's made it onto teh NFL from that era.
>
> If you are one of those guys that has a problem with Schott hammering
> a square peg into a round hole with his talent then talk to some
> Husker fans. Callahan could be a huge improvement over Schott as I
> think there is a problem between Schott/Callahan & Ryan.  I am not so
> sure you will fix it it by replacing Schott's offense with Callhan's
> version.  You have  a head coach who wants to pound the ball so you
> bring in a West Coast offense advocate?- Hide quoted text -

the old "square peg in a round hole" tendency is one of shotty's
problems, but it does not mean it would be callahan's problem even IF
callahan himself has his "ideal vision". in this case... say a "west
coast" style of offense. all coaches have an ideal, but only the bad
ones are not creative or flexible enough to alter their bioler plate
to take advantage of the players they have. if you remember the
49'ers walsh west coast, they had PLENTY of power sets with rathman
and craig and their offense was very ballanced. I think fans have to
take rex's promoting of "ground and pound" out of the context of
today's game. rex is not saying he wants to be the 1920 chicago
bears. he is saying he does not want to be the 2010 colts. he wants
to be sure his team can run first and run when needed. 50-50 to 60-40
run/pass would be his idea, i'm sure. sanchez is also a west coast
qb. schott's system would be better for manning or brady. in this
case, the devil i know sucks, and i want a change.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Feb 16, 2011, 6:50:24 PM2/16/11
> It was in Nebraska.

> >in this case... say a "west
> > coast" style of offense.  all coaches have an ideal, but only the bad
> > ones are not creative or flexible enough to alter their bioler plate
> > to take advantage of the players they have.  if you remember the
> > 49'ers walsh west coast, they had PLENTY of power sets with rathman
> > and craig and their offense was very ballanced. I think fans have to
> > take rex's promoting of "ground and pound" out of the context of
> > today's game.  rex is not saying he wants to be the 1920 chicago
> > bears.  he is saying he does not want to be the 2010 colts.  he wants
> > to be sure his team can run first and run when needed.  50-50 to 60-40
> > run/pass would be his idea, i'm sure.
>
> Ryan took the team from 60-40 run pass to 50-50

> >sanchez is also a west coast
> > qb.
>
> Yes, he did play 14 games in that system and he can move.  He is also
> short and has tendency to get passes blocked and he was very
> inexperienced.  I would largely agree wit you that he seems to have
> the agility t  be a small Steve Young.  He was also very green the
> last two years.

> >schott's system would be better for manning or brady.  in this
> > case, the devil i know sucks, and i want a change.
>
> OK, I'll bite,  why?- Hide quoted text -

not so much that the schotty offense is complicated... and it is...
but it does not have many "set plays" (excluding the red light green
light yellow light) version that they put in for a rookie qb). the
idea is, and i'm sure you know as well as i do... all the motion and
line shifts during a protracted snap count is designd to let the qb
look for clues given off by the defense. with the qb, of courser
maximizing the tactic by waiting until the last second to snap the
ball and suck up all the data he can. all that cerebral voodoo bs.
sanchez is a polished and slick schoolyard player, not a brady or a
manning who's strenght is qb brain power. yeah, manning and brady
have good arms, but their biggest asset is reading and decision
making. borh brady and manning would thrive on that schotty stuff.
of course schotty would still obstruct them with horrendous continuity
in the play calling, but in the main, that scotty system is not for a
guy like sanchez. you want a walking computer like manning or pre snap
tactician like brady for schotty's schtick. as for sanchez... IMHO, he
is always going to be a QB with some up's and downs... mostly ups and
at the most important times, but you gotta let this kid play football
from the heart not the head.