Maybin back with Jets to help pass rush

paddy_nyr

Sep 29, 2011, 10:38:39 AM9/29/11
Is this a desperate/panic move ? Are things that bad that they have to
resign a guy they cut and no one picked up?

I would imagine he's brought in more for his speed than his pass
rushing ability.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/maybin_back_with_jets_to_shore_up_Mw60GtfMUj4jVJpsrTlAEK

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Sep 29, 2011, 2:35:41 PM9/29/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/maybin_back_with_jets_to_shore_up...
>
> Maybe to light a fire up Westerman or maybe Westerman is that bad.

Somebody is hurt and we don't know who...or how badly....that's my guess.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Sep 29, 2011, 2:50:01 PM9/29/11

>> > Maybe to light a fire up Westerman or maybe Westerman is that bad.
>>
>> Somebody is hurt and we don't know who...or how badly....that's my guess.
>
> That would be against the rules.
>
> :)
>
> Remember though they IR'd two players this week so that was two
> spots. They added Baker the TE to replace Cumberland so maybe it is
> just a matter of best available.

Wow...that is scary then..."best available" ? They are very thin....

graybeard

Sep 29, 2011, 6:19:39 PM9/29/11
Can he play Right Tackle?
--
graybeard

Ritchie

Sep 29, 2011, 7:17:11 PM9/29/11
On Sep 29, 6:19 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Can he play Right Tackle?

I was going to ask the same question!

Ritchie

Sep 29, 2011, 7:18:04 PM9/29/11
On Sep 29, 2:44 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That would be against the rules.
>
> :)
>
> Remember though they IR'd two players this week so that was two
> spots.  They added Baker the TE to replace Cumberland so maybe it is
> just a matter of best available.

Best available?...............Yikes!

Michael

Sep 29, 2011, 7:56:05 PM9/29/11
> http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/maybin_back_with_jets_to_shore_up...

i am curious to see if he gets on the field

Papa Carl

Sep 29, 2011, 8:40:55 PM9/29/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Look, before the season started, before training camp even...some of us were
saying they did nothing to improve the pass rush or even perimeter
protection...they have not had a serious D line threat yet under Rex....he
has gotten away with his schemes, and I said that...and I also said I
thought the chickens would come home to roost...it's happening. Schemes
only go so far without the solid players in the right places. It is still a
physical game and you can't simply game plan against passing and not lose it
all...they are in deep trouble if they need to bring guys like this back
in...I understand they have some space...but come on....who are they
fooling? Rex thought he could work a miracle with Gholston..now this
guy...same mistake over again. Why not bring back the kid from Germany...at
least he hustles and hits...more than I can say for some of what you see up
front.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Sep 30, 2011, 12:53:38 AM9/30/11
On Sep 29, 8:40 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
huh ??? pace and blt can not protect the perimeter ??? the jets
problem vs the raiders ground game was that they made mistakes. they
had plenty of manpower. they blew tackles and were out of position a
few times. as far as the secondary, against the run, leonhard and
smith are ideal equipment. they dont have manpower issues on defense
at all... their manpower problems are on the offensive line.

Papa Carl

Sep 30, 2011, 1:32:41 AM9/30/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
How many things do you want pieces of a unit to do...how the Hell did the
Raiders hit the perimeter so well.....since they don't get any real rush out
of the D line...they set up schemes to get it from the LB's...that by design
has to leave other things open...all I'm saying is the scheming comes to and
end at some point..and you need the pieces of the puzzle...they are missing
some. Why do you think Maybin go activated...what do you think will come of
this? He is quick, but not big or powerful...so will he be used to rush the
passer or what?

John C TX

Sep 30, 2011, 9:13:47 AM9/30/11
On Sep 29, 8:00 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:57:13 -0700 (PDT), John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is this a desperate/panic move ? Are things that bad that they have to
> >> resign a guy they cut and no one picked up?
>
> >> I would imagine he's brought in more for his speed than his pass
> >> rushing ability.
>
> >>http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/maybin_back_with_jets_to_shore_up...
>
> >Maybe to light a fire up Westerman or maybe Westerman is that bad.
>
> I've never understood the love-affair with Westerman.  What's he ever done?
> Maybin has the speed, & in the short time he was here, he showed little flashes.
> His problem is his size... he needs to add bulk to really be a LB.
> I always thought he might be interesting at safety ;)

At 240 he is small & I know you are joking but someone has to make up
Coleman's & Lowery's sacks.

John C TX

Sep 30, 2011, 9:26:23 AM9/30/11
On Sep 29, 1:50 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:c67e3823-27ac-4ebe...@t11g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
Best available based on their needs. The only place that there is a
bigger need is OL. Maybe based on what they need sunday that isn't
the biggest worry.

I wish we had more depth on the line but based on what Ellis has shown
the Pats I am probably wrong on that one although like Faneca last
year he would be nice to have on the bench.

John C TX

Sep 30, 2011, 9:30:12 AM9/30/11
>He is quick, but not big or powerful...so will he be used to rush the
> passer or what?

I think that is all he is there for as outside of Pace we don't have
much in the front 7 to accomplish that goal.

Papa Carl

Sep 30, 2011, 11:27:56 AM9/30/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
And we agree....and that is just as big of a problem as the depth in the O
line...for some reason or reasons they had to let a lot of fairly obvious
things slide.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 30, 2011, 12:26:31 PM9/30/11
On 9/30/2011 6:13 AM, John C TX wrote:

>>> Maybe to light a fire up Westerman or maybe Westerman is that bad.
>>
>> I've never understood the love-affair with Westerman. What's he ever done?
>> Maybin has the speed,& in the short time he was here, he showed little flashes.
>> His problem is his size... he needs to add bulk to really be a LB.
>> I always thought he might be interesting at safety ;)
>
> At 240 he is small& I know you are joking but someone has to make up
> Coleman's& Lowery's sacks.

You know, from the little I saw of him he looked to me to have the speed
of a safety.

John C TX

Sep 30, 2011, 1:56:53 PM9/30/11
On Sep 30, 10:27 am, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:5bb39f3c-ada8-4c3e...@b6g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...
They bet on Jenkins last year but this year really had o plan.
Perhaps they thought that Mo & Rippppppppppoioipoi[opipoupupoup would
help but I would have chased one big body.

John C TX

Sep 30, 2011, 1:57:43 PM9/30/11
He did get back there. Does he look better playing with 1st string
vs 1st string?

Papa Carl

Sep 30, 2011, 6:01:19 PM9/30/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I know you are closer to Mexico and some good weed...but slow down on that
stuff :-) That betting on Jenkins last year was a bad decision...and now a
worse one on top of it. I'm really feeling like Rex sells his ability to
scheme well...they buy into it...and it can work a little...but not
ultimately...they need the bodies that can produce...I don't see it
happening now. Despite how in love Michael is with the two inside
guys...they are just OK...the big threat does not exist at all...we will see
how they can stop an inside run this week...I don't think they can.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 30, 2011, 6:43:33 PM9/30/11
I don't know, but couldn't you use him as a cover safety, especially as
neither Smith or Leonard are known for their cover speed?

Papa Carl

Sep 30, 2011, 8:50:31 PM9/30/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
I have seen quite a number of times when some kid who was a serious track
star came out for football...couldn't catch real good so they made him a D
back...and found he couldn't find the ball or follow it either...Maybin
should have more football skills that that...but speed will not make him the
cover guy...now, if he was a good basketball player and fast...and he can
hit...we are really into something.

Michael

Oct 2, 2011, 3:32:32 PM10/2/11
On Sep 30, 8:50 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo" <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote in message
During the preseason, maybin looked so fast and effective, I was
wondering if the jets hit pay dirt. Since he was not retained, I
gathered that he was not capable of doing anything at practice vs the
jets top of the line guys. Probably his lack of size and inability to
handle contact vs a guy that had a good pro skill set was obvious at
practice. Very much like clowney. Looks great but only vs scrubs. I'd
guess that is why maybin was let go. He can't do anything vs Bona
fied pros. Now I'm wondering why he was resigned. No way would they
have let him go in the first place if he was able to perform vs first
string talent. I think the resigning represents desperation.

Papa Carl

Oct 2, 2011, 7:47:23 PM10/2/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

They've been building this team from the outside in....with high skill
position players and no foundation....they are desparate.

Michael

Oct 3, 2011, 12:35:18 AM10/3/11
On Oct 2, 7:47 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
> They've been building this team from the outside in....with high skill
> position players and no foundation....they are desparate.- Hide quoted text -

papa... keep in mind... the jets drafted wilkerson, k. ellis, and
ducasse... the problem is... none of those guys can do much... well at
least ducasse can do somthing... get your qb killed. IMHO, the jets
have done a very bad job drafting post mangini.