Revis hold out is official

Michael

Aug 1, 2010, 7:19:15 PM8/1/10

Tutor

Aug 1, 2010, 7:24:52 PM8/1/10
On Aug 1, 7:19 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/darrel...

> How long you think it will last ??? Past the start of the season ???

He will be there on August 10th. Per this year's rules, if he is not
there 30 days before the first NFL game, he loses one year of
eligibility toward being an UFA AND loses his guaranteed money. He's
not stupid. That won't happen.

What we have here is a 9 day protest. Or tantrum.

Michael

Aug 1, 2010, 7:35:50 PM8/1/10

and if he shows up to play and blows out a knee ??? i can understand
why he wants a revision. in the long run, if he contract is not
changed, he stands to lose a lot more if he does not hold out if he
plays and gets injured

papa.carl44

Aug 1, 2010, 8:19:07 PM8/1/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Injury is part of the game and is always there. How many guys could have
been...would have been...and never got the chance because a senior year
injury took them out of it? It is just the way it is, if he plays to not
get injured or even begins to put that into the equation of things, he will
get injured. The best thing to fight off injury is being in shape, and
being ready to play, I don't think you accomplish that holding out. Then
again, I think without him the Jets' D is lost...so if they want to make the
big splash this year, they best figure out how to get him into camp.

Michael

Aug 1, 2010, 8:53:05 PM8/1/10
On Aug 1, 8:19 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message

not so sure i agree about the business end of it but i do agree the
jets d needs him badly. more than any other style of defense out
there, the rex defense MUST have good cb's or forget about it. the
jets defense can do with good to average players on defense at any
other position, but not cb... you need top notch talent and not jags

Hammer

Aug 1, 2010, 9:30:54 PM8/1/10
> other position, but not cb... you need top notch talent and not jags- Hide quoted text -

I hate to say this but I would not pay the guy a cent even if it means
the Jets have a losing season. It's a matter of principle, and also
what other players will learn from this.

Ray OHara

Aug 1, 2010, 9:30:26 PM8/1/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

he signed the contract , time to honor it.

papa.carl44

Aug 1, 2010, 10:25:00 PM8/1/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

What about this game could possibly give you the idea it's anything other
than a business? Do NASCAR drivers take a risk? Do boxers or MMA guys take
a risk? Damn, a kid in high school knows full well that he could blow out a
knee at any given point, and most likely would not have access to the kind
of surgery that gets him back playing by the following season..or parents
who would let him in some cases. They go into this knowing about the risk,
and if you aren't aware of it you are stupid or in denial as a player. With
their schedule, if they don't have Revis at full tilt for the first few
games...they can kiss their hopes goodbye, it's that simple, and Revis knows
it, that does not mean the management team will not remain
arrogant...because that too is part of the game.

Michael

Aug 1, 2010, 10:37:41 PM8/1/10
On Aug 1, 10:25 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
> arrogant...because that too is part of the game.- Hide quoted text -

yes...yes... but... why take a stupid risk... you play for 1,000,000
and you get 1,000,000. you play for 1,000,000 and blow out a knee and
you'll never get any more. a high scholl kid is unproven... a college
kid is unproven... revis is proven that he's probably the mvp
defender in the league now. his days of having to risk injury WHILE
proving himself are over. now his cashing-in days are here. so... if
he holds out, then he can still preserve his abilility to make SURE
tens of millions by giving up only one SINGLE million by not risking
his career for a poultry million. if he does not play this year, next
year teams will lign up to give him 30+ million guaranteed money.

Hammer

Aug 1, 2010, 10:41:31 PM8/1/10
> year teams will lign up to give him 30+ million guaranteed money.- Hide quoted text -

I don't believe that is correct. If he doesn't play this year, he has
to come back next year and play for the Jets for the same paltry $1
million.

If he doesn't come back the following year, he's in the same situation
until eventually he's too old to play anymore and gets nothing.

Michael

Aug 1, 2010, 10:51:18 PM8/1/10
> until eventually he's too old to play anymore and gets nothing.- Hide quoted text -

he will be to old in two years ??? and remember... the jets get
nothing from him if he does not play... it is in their interest to
work a new deal for revis

papa.carl44

Aug 2, 2010, 12:17:11 AM8/2/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

First four weeks out...Baltimore and three Division teams, Pats and Dolphins
two of them...I'll give them The Bills...without Revis I say they lose those
three games perhaps...very good chance of it. I also say if it is because
they did not have Revis, he is sitting out...I do not want him when he does
decide to show. This team is making a statement about going for it now. If
Revis plays this game he will be the Defensive counterpart to T.O. bouncing
from team to team looking for the rainbow...he has the rainbow in front of
him now and the same is true for what the Jets' management has to do....they
NEED him...this is supposed to be a team sport...somebody better start
recognizing that real soon. If Revis is going to blow a season for a team
he claims to support 100% because he is afraid of an injury before he gets
his money....he will never be the star he is capable of....he will be
another self serving could have been like TO and many others and another
prime reason why this game is killing itself.
OMHO, Papa Carl

papa.carl44

Aug 2, 2010, 12:21:08 AM8/2/10

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

Some more....remember I'm old school..literally...if he holds out for the
season....I would, as a player, not want to line up alongside of him...if he
is willing to sacrifice the teams chance of winning for his own....he is not
the guy I want with me...but I'm sure they all look at it differently these
days, this game gets less and less attractice to follow. BTW...he is still
under contract to the Jets...he does what they tell him to do before he
plays anywhere else.

Hammer

Aug 2, 2010, 1:28:44 PM8/2/10
> work a new deal for revis- Hide quoted text -

I said eventually. What I mean is that if the Jets hold firm, Revis
has 2 choices: 1) Play for the Jets for $1 MM, or 2) never play in the
NFL again. At least that's how I understand it.

And given that, I am not sure whether or not I agree that it's in
their best interests to work him a new deal, but even if it is, I
wouldn't do it.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2010, 2:27:14 PM8/2/10
In article <6h1e569otj0622oms...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:19:15 -0700 (PDT), Michael <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/darrelle-revis

> >-will-hold-out-from-new-york-jets-training-camp/1
> >
> >How long you think it will last ??? Past the start of the season ???
>

> This one is payback for Rex, & his mouth. It's one thing to be positive
> about a player,
> but Rex was Revis' PR machine last season. I wish he'd temper down his
> accolades about
> players, or we'll be seeing more of this.
>
> I suspect the holdout won't be too long, if Revis cares at all about the
> team, and
> winning. If he's all *ME* it'll be a while.

Burf, I completely disagree and think you should think about this more.

Revis is probably listening more to his uncle than his agent. If Revis
had accepted any of the deals offered to him, Schwartz immediately makes
more money. But Gilbert sat out a year just to prove a point.

If you listen (check out today's mike and mike tapes), the deals Revis
camp rejected were all predicated on meeting halfway. Revis is having
none of that.

Rex has nothing to do with the kid being a greedy, ungrateful pig, or
his uncle the type of guy who would sit out a year to prove a point. And
Schwartz has proved to have the integrity of bowl of sh_t.

If the Jets do the right thing, it is likely we get to see how Rex
coaches without Revis. I don't want this team endangering many seasons
to save one. Revis could still get hurt (he is worried enough about it
to not sign a performance based guaranteed deal). If we are out $15 mil
per year for several years for a hurt player...

Frankly, I hope Tanny shifts his attention to Mangold and Harris. Lock
them up to reasonable deals. Piss Revis off even more because with his
attitude there will be no reasonable compromise.

As you sow, so shall you reap. Revis and his camp are acting like jerks
and deserve to find out what getting nothing with no guarantees is like.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2010, 2:29:17 PM8/2/10
In article
<a69e7774-6c31-48b9...@p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I disagree. Revis was willing to sacrifice $20 million guaranteed. He is
making his stand now. The only leverage he has is to let the season
start and have our Dbs suck enough to lose two or three games.

I fully expect a long holdout. I hope he sits out the season and we win
a SB. Because if Tanny caves, he could be endangering several future
years for one now.

harlan

Hammer

Aug 2, 2010, 2:36:41 PM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 2:27 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article <6h1e569otj0622oms1jsbhrsfuj63nf...@4ax.com>,
>

>  buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:19:15 -0700 (PDT), Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > >http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/darrel...
> Harlan- Hide quoted text -

Agree completely.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2010, 2:38:35 PM8/2/10
In article
<58a4b0fb-dfe8-444e...@l25g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
Michael <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote:

Once again you are completely wrong. And once again it is because you
are thinking as a fan rather than rationally.

If you listen to the deals turned down, all were turned down because
Revis did not get exactly what he wanted -- a new deal paying him top
dollar now, fully guaranteed. He cares not a whit that he signed a
contract or got paid up front with this as a low year. He has turned
down a few million extra to sweeten the deal and to make sure he is not
making less than the Colemans and Smiths or Cromarties. He has turned
down a long term deal based on the Brick approach with a similar
sweetner.

Face it, this pig is sitting out, hoping to hold the Jets hostage until
he gets his 30 pieces of silver. He cares not a whit about the salary
cap, the various rules impacting the Jets (the 30% rule and rule
limiting guaranteed contracts for teams that spent to the cap last
year). If, as Papa suggests, we lose three games, he hopes Tanny and
Woody are forced to cave.

Frankly, I hope Rex can make do with Cro and Wilson and Lowery. We
cannot afford to blow our cap on a CB who played one amazing year and
unlike others on the team, care not a whit for their teammates.

Better Tanny should take care of Harris and Mangold.

We lose with Revis not playing and being paid. But, so does Revis. Let
him lose his season, his year against being qualified for a pension, and
having to face the same thing all over again.

F --- him if he cannot accept the consequences of his uncle's decision.

harlan

Michael

Aug 2, 2010, 2:47:47 PM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 2:29 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a69e7774-6c31-48b9-828b-5b35a47d6...@p22g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,

you know... im all but sure tanny wont cave... when tanny came on the
radio and made a statement that they made several offers that were
rebuffed, there was a message there. tanny said to the public the
jets had been fair. he put the jets cards on the table and left it
for revis and his agent to be the bad guys. tanny and woody wont
cave. not this time. may be they may give him an extra million in
guaranteed as a was for revis to safe face and sign before the season
stars, but no way are they gonna give revis a blank check. remeber...
last year jenkins was the jets mvp on defvense and leon the mvp on
offense. they lost both and were 30 min from the superbowl. i love
revis as a player but if he and his uncle and his agent want to jeark
the jets off then let him sit his career away.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2010, 5:31:58 PM8/2/10
In article
<98c60250-b980-4de9...@u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
Hammer <stuart.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

U da man Stuart.

Message has been deleted

Beiselbub©

Aug 2, 2010, 8:43:59 PM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 11:57 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> This one is payback for Rex, & his mouth.  It's one thing to be positive about a player,
> but Rex was Revis' PR machine last season.  I wish he'd temper down his accolades about
> players, or we'll be seeing more of this.

I completely agree, Rex brought this on himself. He pumped that kid
up, calling him the "best defender in football" to ANYONE who would
listen. He argued that Woodson shouldn't have won defender of the
year. Come on, you don't blow smoke up his ass all year and then
expect Revis not to notice.

Welcome to "Revis Island," the reality show coming to the JETS
television network this fall. ;)

--
"I wasn't going to comment on it, but I would like to congratulate the
people that voted for Darrelle Revis. These guys obviously really know

Harlan Lachman

Aug 3, 2010, 11:03:46 AM8/3/10
In article <h5ke56dvfsn0nnoij...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> Revis will get what he wants... somewhere, but it aint like this is his FA
> year.
> He'll have a long sit-out, to get there.

I don't think he does unless Woody caves or Revis does.

It is 3 years he has to wait.

If he sits out even one year, his market value declines somewhat, moreso
if he sits out two or three.

If the Jets hang tough, both sides lose. Revis is gambling that Jets
fold. If they don't he has no leverage and no options. He is done
because no team will give the Jets equal value and trading him for less
than a 1 and a 2 will create a new strategy for stars dealing with the
Jets.

Schwartz and Uncle are obviously counting on the Jets folding their
hand. They gave up sure millions and the guarantee of $20 million more
with their all in strategy.

Time will tell.

Harlan

Message has been deleted

Hammer

Aug 3, 2010, 1:48:27 PM8/3/10
On Aug 3, 11:03 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article <h5ke56dvfsn0nnoijv2rnosvem9ok6s...@4ax.com>,

Again, I don't think that is correct. He can wait 3 years or 10 years
and still be under contract to the Jets for $1 million for the first
year that he decides to play.