My man Cro Superior to Nnamdi

Michael

Sep 21, 2011, 4:50:27 PM9/21/11
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/7329/cro-im-better-playmaker-than-nnamdi

By Rich Cimini

"When Antonio Cromartie re-signed with the Jets, he was beseiged with
questions about Nnamdi Asomugha, the team's first choice to start
opposite Darrelle Revis.

That was nothing. If Cromartie had signed with the Raiders, Asomugha's
former team, the comparisons to the All-Pro cornerback would've been
non-stop. The Raiders, whom the Jets play Sunday in Oakland, were hot
for Cromartie during free agency. It came down to Jets and Raiders.

Frankly, Cromartie believes the Asomugha comparisons would've been off
base. Why? Because in one respect, Cromartie thinks he's better than
Nnamdi. Yeah, that's right, better.

"My style of play and his style of play are totally different,"
Cromartie told ESPNNewYork.com. "I feel I'm more of a playmaker than
he is."

Cromartie is confident, and why not? He's coming off one of the best
games by a Jets cornerback in recent memory, a two-interception game
against the Jaguars. So far, the Jets' four-year, $32 million contract
for Cromartie looks like a solid investment.

The Raiders, who lost Asomugha in free agency, went hard after
Cromartie. He's an Al Davis kind of player -- fast, freakishly
athletic and a man-to-man corner. For Cromartie, the decision came
down to a shot at the Super Bowl. Evidently, he didn't think the
Raiders are close.

"For me, it was about being able to win now, having a chance to win
the Super Bowl," Cromartie said. "Oakland is an up-and-coming team and
coach (Hue) Jackson is doing a great job. They're a team that, in the
near future, is going to be a great team.

"They were trying to sell me that I could be one of their No. 1
corners (with Stanford Routt), but here, with the Jets, I feel like we
have two No. 1 corners -- 1A and 1B.""

Still Roper

Sep 22, 2011, 12:18:43 AM9/22/11
On Sep 21, 4:50 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/7329/cro-im-better-pl...
I always liked Cro over Namdi(sp?)...we're talking 8M dollar
difference....that's nuts...he's not worth that...

Michael

Sep 22, 2011, 11:00:07 AM9/22/11
> difference....that's nuts...he's not worth that...- Hide quoted text -

I agree... I wonder who was behind that... Rex, Tanny or Woody ??? I
know Woody likes to make a splash...

MZ

Sep 22, 2011, 1:59:03 PM9/22/11
On Sep 22, 12:18 am, Still Roper <mark_edwards_2...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I always liked Cro over Namdi(sp?)...we're talking 8M dollar
> difference....that's nuts...he's not worth that...

I think the difference in their market value mostly comes from the
fact that it was always about potential with Cromartie, whereas
Asomugha had proven for several years that he was a top corner. But I
do feel that he was always a little overrated. I think people were
giving him bonus points because he was on the Raiders, which may or
may not be justified. We'll see if Cromartie can fulfill this
potential over the long haul.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 22, 2011, 2:51:02 PM9/22/11
In article
<c7064664-a68e-43c6...@j19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
MZ <for...@mdz.no-ip.org> wrote:

Mark, I do not know if you are an ESPN Insider (FWIW, I think it
provides good value).

There is an excellent article today that mentions Nnamdi and concludes:

"Three-hundred pass attempts ought to be enough to get past the low
sample size argument. Since the league average for yards per attempt
(YPA) is usually around 7.5, Asomugha's 7.0 YPA in this time frame means
he is somewhat above average but not anywhere near Revis' level.

Since this coverage trend has also continued through two games with
Philadelphia (86 yards allowed on six pass attempts), it is not a
stretch to say that Asomugha may be the most overrated player in the
NFL."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6999827/nfl-philadelphia-eagles
-far-dream-team

harlan

Steve Russo

Sep 22, 2011, 2:50:00 PM9/22/11
On Sep 21, 4:50 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/7329/cro-im-better-pl...
>
> By Rich Cimini
>

> Cromartie is confident, and why not? He's coming off one of the best
> games by a Jets cornerback in recent memory, a two-interception game
> against the Jaguars. So far, the Jets' four-year, $32 million contract
> for Cromartie looks like a solid investment.

I don't question his skills and his game against the Jags was
excellent but let's not forget he was beaten for two TDs in the
Cowboys game - one of which was just pulled out of his hands.

Michael

Sep 22, 2011, 4:21:20 PM9/22/11
cro had ideal coverage on both of those two td's. the end zone "TD"
ball fight really should have been an interception and touch back for
cromartie. cro had possession of the ball when he hit the ground in
the end zone and was contacted by the wr. the moment cro hit the
ground WITH POSSESSION of the ball while in contact with the WR the
play should have ended as a touch back. you do not "fumble" a touch
after you enter the endzone with possession. you do not fumble an
interception for a touch back in the end zone after you have been
contacted by an opposing player while in control of the ball on the
ground in the end zone. they didnt know what to do in that case, so
they swept it under the carpet... no review...

MZ

Sep 22, 2011, 5:50:26 PM9/22/11
On Sep 22, 2:51 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c7064664-a68e-43c6-8977-d19761529...@j19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
> http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6999827/nfl-philadelphia-ea...
> -far-dream-team
>
> harlan

I don't buy that that's a valid metric to rate CBs. (I don't like it
for QBs either) Suppose Revis gives up one catch for 18 yards next
week. His YPA will be awful. Bad game?

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2011, 5:08:54 PM9/23/11
In article
<f0f41f0d-e14d-435d...@cd4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Over 300 attempts? That is what the article used.

harlan

Papa Carl

Sep 23, 2011, 6:48:40 PM9/23/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Michael...can you send this explanation to the NFL...to the comissioner?
They need someone who can get it right. You are dead right too by the
way...even in HS football, once posession is established in the endzone it
is over.

Papa Carl

Sep 23, 2011, 6:50:40 PM9/23/11

"Steve Russo" <srus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Answer this...if a receiver catches a ball in the endzone...can a defender
pull it out of his hands and nullify the TD? NO, it can't happen...and the
reverse is true too. That should have been reviewed with the new rule about
reviewing stuff...and the bogus answer they gave about simultaneous
posession was not so....they blew it.

Michael

Sep 23, 2011, 8:51:47 PM9/23/11
On Sep 23, 6:48 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
goodell would burn the email :-)

it was hard to believe they blew that call... if the wr went to hand
the ball to the ref after the td and the db came over and grabbed the
ball, would they take the td off the board ??? of course not. same
deal with a touch back in the end zone. you dont strip the ball away
from the db after the fact. the play is over as a touch back as soon
as he downs the ball. what ever happens to the ball after that moment
is not part of the play. cro had the ball in full possession at the
time he hit the ground. the wr got to the ball after the fact. it was
not a simultaneous catch.

MZ

Sep 24, 2011, 9:37:13 AM9/24/11
On Sep 23, 5:08 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <f0f41f0d-e14d-435d-996a-1ad3a491b...@cd4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
I used an extreme example to illustrate a point. If Revis is
consistently preventing his receiver from making receptions, and when
he does make receptions it goes for league average, then his YPA stat
is going to be average.

This is one of the rare cases where I think total yards against is
maybe a more telling metric. Or, even better, receptions per QB throw
or yards per QB throw. TDs is important too, as always. These still
don't paint a good picture though.