Jets offensive line over five eras... Which was best ???

1 view

Michael

Dec 10, 2010, 3:08:36 PM12/10/10
It would seem as if the Jets have had some very good offensive lines.
Especially at center. Here are five of their starting lines from past
QB eras. Which one ranks as the best over all ???

Joe Namath era (1968)

LT: Winston Hill
LG: Bob Talamini
C: John Schmidt
RG: Dave Herman
RT: Sam Walton

Richard Todd era (1982)

LT: Chris Ward
LG: Stan Waldemore
C: Joe Fields
RG: Dan Alexander
RT: Marven Powell

Ken Obrien Ear (1986)

LT: Jim Sweeney (moved to center later in the era)
LG: Ted Banker
C: Joe Fields
RG: Dan Alexander
RT: Reggie McElroy

Vinny Testeverde Era (1998)

LT: Jumbo
LG: Todd Burger
C: Mawae
RG: Matt O'Dwier
RT: Jason Fabini
(Randy Thomas also part of this era)

Sanches Era (current)

LT: D'brickashaw Ferguson
LG: Matt Slauson
C: Nick Mangold
RG: Braodnon Moore
RT: Damian Woody

IMOH... Of all of those starting units, I rank them as follows. And,
NO, I NO NOT have to rank the Namath era first because of the
Superbowl and Winston Hill

1. Todd Era (best over all starting the line the Jets ever had. The
could pass block VERY well. Both power run block, pull, trap and
counter. Fields, Powell and Alexander made the right side of the Jet
line the best I have ever seen.)

2. Namath Era
3. Current Line
4. Testiverde Era
5. O'Briend Era

OK...lemme have it....

Grinch

Dec 10, 2010, 4:42:01 PM12/10/10
On Dec 10, 3:08 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> It would seem as if the Jets have had some very good offensive lines.
> Especially at center.  Here are five of their starting lines from past
> QB eras.  Which one ranks as the best over all ???
>
> Joe Namath era (1968)
>
> LT: Winston Hill

One of the great injustices is that Hill isn't in the HoF. Eight
times Pro Bowler, including four straight in the combined league after
the merger, four times 1st team All AFC.

The price of spending the last half of his career on one crappy team
after another.

OK, take this:

IMHO you're right. Powell and Ward were the true proverbial bookends,
and Fields could really play center.

Michael

Dec 10, 2010, 6:36:54 PM12/10/10
> and Fields could really play center.- Hide quoted text -

some interesting stuff to consider about the usually malligned 0-lines
during the obrien era... many felt that the line had a hard time of it
no matter how good the quality because O'Brien could not move. The
management and coaching did try to build a pass blocking line around
him with draft picks like Mike Haight, Dava Cadagan and Jeff
Criswell. Haight never lived up to expectations, Cadagan was always
out due to injury and Crisswell took off as soon as he learned to stop
jumping off sides. at any rate... some felt that no line would ever
look good with obrien holding on to the ball and waiting to get his
head stoved in the same spot each and every time

Harlan Lachman

Dec 10, 2010, 11:35:16 PM12/10/10
In article
<5f114226-1679-4d00...@v17g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Grinch, I always felt that Dave Herman was the guy who should get
something in the hall for the job he done on Bubba. A RG who moved to
Tackle to tackle the monster. Now, there was a player.

harlan

Grinch

Dec 11, 2010, 1:47:17 AM12/11/10
On Dec 10, 11:35 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <5f114226-1679-4d00-9cd2-1351db92b...@v17g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
> harlan- Hide quoted text -

IMHO you're right too, Harlan.

I don't know if he gets a niche in Canton for switching positions to
block Bubba for one game, but he sure deserves one in the Jets' Hall.
That was one of the critical performances that made that win possible.
Namath didn't really have one of his best days in the SB, solid but
not great. Herman went above and beyond the call of duty. He probably
had a better game. I don't know if was one of the greatest athletes in
the world, but he sure always did what needed to be done.