Re: Have we seen the last of Leon Washington as a Jet?

Message has been deleted

Michael

Mar 4, 2010, 2:52:34 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 12:37 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> The Jets have tendered Leon at the 2nd round level, which means any team
> can sign him in exchange for a 2nd round pick, unless the Jets match the
> contact offer. I have to think that there would be a number of teams who
> would think he was worth a 2nd rounder if he can pass their physical.
> The Browns have 11 draft picks. Maybe Eric whispers a few things in
> Holmgren's ear.
>
> Is it possible that the Jets have put themselves in a position where
> last year's number 1 rushing offense in the NFL is reduced to Shonn
> Greene, who has a total of 108 carries in his career and more lost
> fumbles (3) than TD's (2)?
> --
> graybeard

what the hell are they doing ??? i dont get it... odd to say the
least... the jets have proven the past few years that they are willing
to make big moves, pay big money... they have been dynamic and epic...
what the hell has gotten into them ??? the jets are not a cheap or
conservative organization... why are they acting like they are now ???

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 9:00:53 AM3/5/10
buRford wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:37:15 -0500, graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The Jets have tendered Leon at the 2nd round level, which means any team
>> can sign him in exchange for a 2nd round pick, unless the Jets match the
>> contact offer. I have to think that there would be a number of teams who
>> would think he was worth a 2nd rounder if he can pass their physical.
>> The Browns have 11 draft picks. Maybe Eric whispers a few things in
>> Holmgren's ear.
>>
>> Is it possible that the Jets have put themselves in a position where
>> last year's number 1 rushing offense in the NFL is reduced to Shonn
>> Greene, who has a total of 108 carries in his career and more lost
>> fumbles (3) than TD's (2)?
>

> At the same time, the Jets tendered Braylon at the 1 & 3.
> Me... I think Leon's more valuable to the team, even with the risk from his injury.
> Braylon still hasn't proven he can play with consistency... or that he can be a team
> player (rather than a *me* guy).
> They gave Brad Smith the same tender as Leon. I actually think Brad's more valuable than
> Braylon.
> Lots of strange evaluations going on in Jetslandistan.
>

> From Leberfeld:
>
> The Jets announced all their tenders on Thursday and here they are - Braylon Edwards
> (first and third), Leon Washington (second), Eric Smith (third), Wayne Hunter (third),
> James Ihedigbo (right of first refusal), Brad Smith (second), Drew Coleman (sixth) and
> Kellen Clemens (second). The following players weren't tendered - Marques Murrell, Howard
> Green and Wallace Wright.
>
> I'd have tendered Murrell over Coleman, not that a six is anything much. At this point,
> it looks like Coleman has some compromising pics of Woody, since two coaching regimes have
> kept him around ;)

After they dropped Murrell several times form the game day roster you
knew he wasn't long. I like him & hate Coleman so who knows what that
is about but for the 1st time in 10 years our LBers look like a strength.

As for Washington, someone could wreak havoc with the Jets by
overpaying him & his agent is as your boy Rahm would say, retarded.

:)

Is the #2 this year or next?

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 9:01:28 AM3/5/10
graybeard wrote:
> I'm baffled as to how Coleman hangs on. I agree that Murrell has more
> upside, and Wright is one of our best ST players.

Wright?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 10:02:19 AM3/5/10
graybeard wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:01:28 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:

>> graybeard wrote:
>>> I'm baffled as to how Coleman hangs on. I agree that Murrell has more
>>> upside, and Wright is one of our best ST players.
>> Wright?
>
> I don't understand the question.

One of our best ST?

I guess I haven't seen him stand out. Is he a good tackler?

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 10:04:12 AM3/5/10
graybeard wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:00:53 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> As for Washington, someone could wreak havoc with the Jets by
>> overpaying him & his agent is as your boy Rahm would say, retarded.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Is the #2 this year or next?
>
> I'm pretty sure it's this year. If I am the Eagles, I'm thinking that
> Leon could be the perfect replacement for Westbrook.

I really didn't get that they didn't assign him a #1.

If I am the Pats he is a great choice to replace Faulk but BB has never
put any real $ into RB since he showed up in NE.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 10:23:04 AM3/5/10
graybeard wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:02:19 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> graybeard wrote:

>>> I don't understand the question.
>> One of our best ST?
>>
>> I guess I haven't seen him stand out. Is he a good tackler?
>
> Wright is one of the very best coverage men and tacklers on special
> teams.

I will watch more closely.

I have noticed Smith's tackling. Maybe because their numbers are close
I was attributing Wright's efforts to Smith.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 5, 2010, 11:58:15 AM3/5/10
buRford wrote:
> I don't get what they're doing with Leon. I guess they're willing to gamble that they'll
> be able to match.
> As for Rahm, didn't like him with Bubba, and that hasn't changed ;)

a poor man's Cheney... my favorite with Rahm & this isn't partisan issue
but a reflection of how both sides could care less what we think-- is
that a guy with a degree in dance leaves the WH for 2 years enters
investment banking. He makes $16 MM & returns to politics.

>> :)
>>
>> Is the #2 this year or next?
>

> I'd imagine this year.

I'd lose Smith & Washington for 2 #2's.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Mar 5, 2010, 1:12:32 PM3/5/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

How do you take a team that was constantly improving, heading in the right
direction, and get rid of two players who contribute for totally unknowns?
I'm seeing a regression on the horizon, lose some guys who contribute,
change the chemistry and wind up with some busts. I can not understand how
you take the number one rushing offense and get rid of the people who made
it happen.

papa.carl44

Mar 5, 2010, 1:14:00 PM3/5/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> I'd keep them both, and find an OC that can maximize their talents ;)

Maybe that's it....no need for more than one RB on the team because the OC
doesn't know what to do with more than one anyway. OH...here comes all the
mature folks with their 4th grade Schott crap.

Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Mar 5, 2010, 6:14:26 PM3/5/10
buRford said:

> From Leberfeld:
>
> The Jets announced all their tenders on Thursday and here they are -
> Braylon Edwards (first and third), Leon Washington (second),

Edwards tendered at first and third? Huh? What are they smoking?

MartyB in KC

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:17:38 PM3/5/10
In article
<f121ddf4-c8d6-4d8a...@e1g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Michael <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote:

Do you too really want to deal with Leon's stupid agent.

This was a perfect move.

If no one offers to take him at a higher salary, let Keels explain to
Leon why his strategy at turning down the $4-5 million was so smart.

If someone offers him something higher than our tender but less than the
$4-5 million Keels turned down last year, match.

And if someone does a Bungle and signs him to a Coles like contract, get
the second round pick.

Love this move. Only way to deal with a bad agent.

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:18:58 PM3/5/10
In article <A6GdnVDooPINkwzW...@giganews.com>,
Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:

> Is the #2 this year or next?

John, has to be this year unless we trade instead. If a team without a
#2 signs him and gets him, it escalates to a one.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:33:05 PM3/5/10
In article <gridnQGbjI4P1AzW...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Papa, I have to admit, for the first time in a long time, I don't get
you.

Both were brilliant moves.

1.) Neither player was a full time starter. Leon, much like Miller
before him and even Smith after him was a good KR. And, like Brad Smith
he had a couple of plays (screens and flares) where he was sometimes
very scary for D's that did not prepare. Smith never made it as a WR. He
was a good special team player who ran the Wildcat well and a decent KR.
However, as Sanchez develops, we will need to rely on this gimmick O
less.

2) A second round pick can be very valuable. But more valuable is
letting the marketplace set the value. If these two sign contract offers
with another team, we can match and they cannot complain. If no one
offers them more because Leon is a gamble and Smith a talent but not a
player, we get them for cheap and they cannot complain. They were not
worth money and only a second round pick. This is even more important
with a player like Leon whose agent is a moron and has already cost him
millions. Letting the marketplace teach Leon that Keels is a moron is
likely the only way he gets the message.

3) And if another team wants to overpay a KR and Special teamer,
End-Arounder, and Wildcat QB or a KR third down back, we still get one
or two second round picks. That would allow us to trade up and get the
right player in the first round.

4) Not paying TJ $6 million was also smart.

5) Ditching Lito and Strickland were no brainers.

I just don't get your frustration. All of these moves improve our team.

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:35:43 PM3/5/10
In article <98d2p5trjaii5m4bv...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> Yup. I 2nd Gray's opinion.
> Wright's great on STs.

But would you pay this special teamer the million plus dollars to ensure
you got a third round pick (because we have two already tendered at #2s)
that is the limit (unless the fact that we have two thirds means we only
get a fourth).

I like this move too.

If no one offers Wallace big bucks, like brandon moore we get him back.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Mar 6, 2010, 3:16:16 AM3/6/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

I'm only referring to TJ and Washington...how do you let them go and not
have solid replacements? Washington is a play maker, the fact that the Jets
couldn't figure out a way to use him is a problem, not having him is a
bigger one. That's my only concern. How many times in the past have you
seen this franchise make "good moves" only to not replace the moves they
made? I am not sold on Greene at all. I think he looks like a guy who will
constantly be out hurt...I hope I'm wrong. But if you are going to be a run
power type team...you need a variety of RB types. I should have been more
clear in my comment...my concerns are losing their two starting RB's with no
real replacement for them.

Harlan Lachman

Mar 6, 2010, 12:02:42 PM3/6/10
In article <8f83p5tnn383sgeoo...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> Not exactly sure what yer saying, H... I'm kinda braindead at the moment...
> but, I'd've
> maybe tendered him a 4. A 3 is too high to me.

Burf, there is no such a tender for someone not drafted in the 4th round.

The tenders I know about are first and third, first, second, and round
of drafting. Only two players can qualify for a second round pick (hence
Kellen only nets us a third in spite of being tendered high and having
been a second round pick). Eric Smith and Wayne Hunter got tendered at
their draft pick status which were both third rounders.

Wallace was not drafted so we cannot tender him anything other than the
first and third, first, or second and get anything for him. Those
tenders involve a lot of money. He is not worth it.

In other words, our options were limited and we will either get Wallace
cheap next year or we won't.

Harlan Lachman

Mar 6, 2010, 12:08:47 PM3/6/10
In article <0YqdnUzh2eHSkg_W...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

I think he was used fine when healthy. We cannot control who he selects
and listens to as an agent. Again, this move is brilliant because Keels
gets exposed and Leon has no gripe. Do you really think he gets a high
tender we will be unwilling to match? Really?

> How many times in the past have you
> seen this franchise make "good moves" only to not replace the moves they
> made?

Let's see how this plays out. I think most Jet fans will be satisfied
with our 2010 RB. There are enough guys on the market and enough in the
draft that this should shake out fine.

> I am not sold on Greene at all. I think he looks like a guy who will
> constantly be out hurt...I hope I'm wrong. But if you are going to be a run
> power type team...you need a variety of RB types. I should have been more
> clear in my comment...my concerns are losing their two starting RB's with no
> real replacement for them.

Again, this is only the second day the Jets could make a move. For $6
mil, we can replace TJ. Maybe with a better back. Maybe with him.

And, we have not lost Leon and cannot lose him if we don't want to.
Again the brilliance of the Leon tender is that Keels gets exposed. The
market sets the price and if it doesn't, then Leon's low tender does.

Thank god.

papa.carl44

Mar 6, 2010, 12:37:29 PM3/6/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Lots of IF's....still, IF they lose both TJ and Washington...not have either
of them on the 2010 team, they will not replace them with an equal or better
pair of RB's....good backs are not that easy to find. OMHO, I do agree that
the agents are the problem and that speaks to an even broader issue.....how
do you create a "team" and play a "team sport"...when all of the pieces have
absolutely no concept of team and are almost always individuals first and
foremost?

Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 8, 2010, 7:42:38 AM3/8/10

Smith, who I have been the biggest fan among any regular is probably
never going to be a first line receiver. He is a good special team
player and does cause match up problems for the defense. I think we get
not only the pick but we can sign someone of equal amount, correct? It
isn't the end of the world if he leaves.

Washington for all his flaws in pass blocking was maybe the dumbest
thing I ever wrote.

:)

Johnctx

Mar 8, 2010, 7:45:07 AM3/8/10

I would look to point out who started the 4th grade Schott crap.

papa.carl44

Mar 8, 2010, 9:15:51 PM3/8/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

So who did? I didn't...if you are going to say making a judgement about
good coaching is fourth grade behavior..go for it...you aren't making any
sense.

papa.carl44

Mar 8, 2010, 9:17:57 PM3/8/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

I simply can't decipher what you are saying....Washington is the dumbest
thing you ever wrote?????? I was talking about losing TWO of the starting
running backs at the same time.