Sorry, not impressed with Jets FO so far this summer.

graybeard

Aug 1, 2011, 9:44:09 AM8/1/11
In a year with the best class of free agents in my memory, and while
teams like the Pats and Eagles have markedly improved their rosters, the
Jets lone significant acquisition is a 34 year old WR who hasn't played
football in 2 years. Where are the pieces the Jets so badly needed, like
the pass rusher and safety? I'm sorry, but someone has to explain to me
how this makes the team one iota better than they were last year.

I don't know why the Jets have developed an aversion to Braylon Edwards,
but I would have preferred re-signing him over bringing in Plaxico. This
has nothing to do with personalities or transgressions, but is based on
purely pragmatic reasons. Edwards is 6 years younger, was a key
contributor last year who made a number of important catches, and has a
good working relationship with Sanchez. Burress, when visiting the
Giants, Eagles, and Jets, DID NOT WORK OUT for any of them. For all we
know, the guy is a hamstring pull waiting to happen.

The Jets are really rolling the dice on this one. For all our sakes, I
hope the come-out comes up 7 instead of Snake Eyes.
--
graybeard

Papa Carl

Aug 1, 2011, 5:16:27 PM8/1/11

"graybeard" <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Gray...completely agree with you. I'd much rather stick with Braylon than
this situation. And they will go nowhere without a pass rushing threat.
That was the achilles heel of the defense down the stretch last year. I
don't get this at all. OMHO Papa Carl

JetsLife

Aug 2, 2011, 8:20:38 AM8/2/11

Relax, The sky is not falling. Remember, this team remains loaded and
hungry.

Message has been deleted

Tutor

Aug 2, 2011, 9:14:52 AM8/2/11
On Aug 1, 9:44 am, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Re: Pass rushers

What pass rusher FA would you have liked? Cullen Jenkins? Vastly
overrated. There just weren't that many out there. Haynesworth is a
4-3 DE that for 2 years has been a problem. Belichick is taking a no-
risk (5th rounder, I think) to see if he can use him on obvious
passing downs when NE changes up to a 4-3 type scheme. Wise move, but
he is costing $5 Million. Look, Belichick has proven he can reform
and tame malcontents and make them productive (Dillon, Randy Moss).
He now has the true test in Haynesworth. Other than him, there were
NO pass rushers out there in FA. They just drafted 2 DLs. Kendrick
Ellis to replace Jenks (Cullen's big bro) and Wilkerson. There's the
future. Edge pass rusher not available now and will have to wait for
next year. Meanwhile they should resign Shaun Ellis for one more
season.

As for Braylon:

First, I really wanted Braylon back. I was a big Edwards should
retrurn supporter. Thought he had a solid season. But nobody on this
team, players and coaches alike, it seems, wanted him back. Nobody.
Not one. In an interview with Jenkins last month (upon his retirement)
he alluded to Braylon as a chronic "complainer". During the entire
off season, comments from other players, such as Sanchez continually
referred to Holmes, not Braylon. Proof in the pudding that Braylon
was not wanted is not having Sanchez go to bat for him. Now, Arizona
sports radio is reporting that he is asking for $50M and 5 years. No
f-ing way. He'll be lucky to get $6M. Braylon has continual off the
field problems and one more infraction will put him in jail (let alone
suspension form NFL). His probation in Ohio was just extended by 1
year and now it is reported that his entourage was engaged in a big
fight where someone got slashed with a knife. He is a chronic fuck up
and will not change. Apparently, the Jets have had enough of his
sheet. His best friend is Kerry Rhodes, so that should tell you a lot
about him.

Overall, the Jets are not quite yet to the point where they were last
year. They could not possibly pay Brad SMith $15 million /4 years as
Buffalo did. That's too much for a Special Team guy, especially with
the new kickoff rules greatly limiting returns. The loss of Brad
Smith I hopew will be a plus in reducing or eliminating the wildcat
gadget stuff, which usually killed Sanchez's rhythm. LT is capable of
doing that anyway. Didn't need Brad Smith at $4+M per year for that
nonsense.

Whether the Jets improved or not will depend on the 2011 draft picks,
and just as improtantly, the development of the 2010 1st and 2d
rounders. So far, the 2010 draft is a wreck, with zero contribution
from Wilson and Ducasse. I've been patient with them, but if they
don't step up this year, then last year's draft will have been a
colossal bust.

Meanwhile, The addition of Ocho (to replace Randy moss) on the Pats
was a solid move. But Revis eats Ocho for lunch. But Ocho will be
better with Brady as opposed to Palmer. Still, not too worried about
him. Haynesworth is a crap shoot. Slight improvement there. The
rest f their defense still is inferior to the Jets. Theuir running
game depends on the 2d and 3rd round picks from the 2011 draft.

Miami improved? Really? Reggie Bush? What else? Daniel Thomas?
we'll see.

At this point I'm ok with the off season in that Holmes and Cro are
returning. Plax can be a great stop-gap repalcement for the next year
or two for Edwards. 2 inches taller, better hands and a nose for the
end zone that Braylon will never have. And at $3million, not a bad
risk. Optimistic about the draft and the addition of our new tutor
for Schottenheimer, fresh out of retirement from Indianapolis, who is
attending camp this week. (He may be the BEST of our off season
additions).

Tutor

Aug 2, 2011, 9:36:08 AM8/2/11
On Aug 1, 5:16 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "graybeard" <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> don't get this at all. OMHO Papa Carl- Hide quoted text -

I agreed until it became clear that he had no support from any of his
teammates or from the coaching. Jenkins pretty much said he was a
locker room cancer (just like his good buddy Sherry Rhodes) in a
recent interview. Plus the latest brush with the law. Jets did not
feel he was worth $8 - $10 Mill per year when he is one more
infraction away from a jail cell (Ohio probabtion was just extended
one year due to the DUI in NY). Holmes no angel either, heis one toke
away from a 1 yr suspension. Hopefully there is financial preotection
built into his contract. But at least Sanchez and the team supports
him.

Michael

Aug 2, 2011, 9:57:27 AM8/2/11
On Aug 1, 5:16 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "graybeard" <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> don't get this at all. OMHO Papa Carl- Hide quoted text -

Well... They did get back the two pieces they needed most... Santonio
and Cro. I dont blame them for going after Nnamdi even though it did
not work out. Since Cro told them ahead of time he was gong to let
the market develop before he signed, Tanny knew he would still have a
good chance to get Cro even of Nnamdi fell through. To be honest... I
dont think Nnamdi would have helped that much more than Cro can. And
now Cro has a chip on his shoulder and wants to proove himself, so...
All good as far as Cro goes. The pass rush may very well improve even
without a new edge rusher...All the need is for Wilkerson to play well
or K. Ellis not to get deported. If either one of them can take up
two blockers, you'll see Pace, BLT and S. Ellis (if he returns) start
looking a lot better off the edge. As far as them ignoring Edwards...
When Santonio and Edwards came to the Jets they both had issues. The
Jets got a deal because of that. I am POSITIVE that Tanny-Rex-Woody
told them both they had a clean slate with the Jets and a second
chance... BUT... If you screw up in our uniform after we stuck our
necks out, we dont want you back. Santonio keep out of trouble,
Edwards screwd up again. That is why they dont want him back. They
will remind Plax and K. Ellis that they can go the way of Santonio
with a nice contract after representing the Jets in a good manner, or
they can piss off if they screw up again like Edwards. IMHO... Plax
wont come out of the box in good shape, but once he gets his sea leggs
under him, he'll be more valuable to Sanchez than Edwards was.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2011, 11:46:26 AM8/2/11
In article <38bd3758u3nukuqbr...@4ax.com>,
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Gray I disagree with your details but think your conclusion is correct.
This has been an horrific off season.

1) The Eagles had the best off season of any team. They took a young QB
who could not make it on their team and turned him into a starting DB
and a second round pick. They got two better DL than they had. They got
the best DB on the market so that their DBs who got shredded by the Pack
are arguably the league's best, and upgraded at back up QB. OTOH, the
Pats did not arguably improve themselves at all. Tub-of-no-effort for Ty
Warren is not a significant upgrade. Mallett cannot help them short term
(only one Qb plays at a time). Unfortunately, as Rex admitted as his
presser, unless other teams start beating the Pats, they are still the
best team in the AFC.

2) Our areas of strength last year were RB, WR (but little depth), CB
(with lots of depth), and OL (with depth). Our weaknesses last year in
order of horrificness were Safeties (especially against passing TE and
WR covered over the top) and pass rushing OLB. DL was neither an obvious
strength or weakness. And we had no depth at QB.

3) How we Handled Positions of Strength:
a) We strengthened RB by relegating LT to a lesser role and adding
Powell.
b) We are weaker at WR since Plax is a gamble and Braylon had consistent
hands and blocked great. Brad Smith is addition by subtraction but we
don't appear to have anyone likely to step up.
c) We should be better at CB (Strickland for Drew C and another year for
Lowery and K Wilson).
d) We should be worse at OL. We lost Woody who relegated Hunter to the
bench and Hunter did not look great in the Championship game. Moore is
PUP. Unless Vlad steps up this could be become an area of need.
OVERALL: Some improvement but these were already strengths and OL could
bite us if Vlad or Hunter are not as consistently solid as Woody.

4) How We Handled Positions of Weakness:
a) We are much weaker at Safety: Leonhard who is small and slow and
hence has been victimized on passing downs is coming off a season ending
injury. Brodney Poole our inconsistent S who unfortunately for us was
our best cover safety is gone. Eric Smith who is so slow he commits
penalties and botches plays by being just a smidge late is re-signed. No
better safety was added to improve this area of need. DISASTER.
b) Pass Rushing OLB: It is sad to say that Jason Taylor may have been
our best pass rushing OLB (while he won two games for us that is not
saying much) and he is gone. Pace and BLT had lousy seasons in terms of
pressuring passers. No one of note has been added. Maybe Westerman steps
up. Maybe they sign someone. But right now:DISASTER.

5) How We Handled Other Areas
a) We did not add depth to Qb. If Sanchez goes down, so does our season
(unlike the Eagles who may not miss a beat). Maybe I am completely wrong
and McElroy will not be a wasted roster spot. But we have neither a Qb
to develop or someone I trust who might complete a pass if Sanchez gets
hurt.
b) DL would have to be considered improved for the future; however with
the absence of OTAs and the off season, we have no right to expect
improvement this year.
OVERALL: Yuck

No one can argue that we improved our areas of need. Improving your
strengths (maybe) and ignoring the things that got you beat is not a
prescription for success.

The amazing thing about the Eagles is they parlayed a worthless Kolb and
cash to strengthen their main area of weakness, their pass defense (both
on the line and in the defensive backfield).

The fact that no other AFC team has yet improved itself to the same
extent only means we are not much worse off than last year. But, I
thought the aim was to get better.

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2011, 11:51:32 AM8/2/11
In article <idKdnRGrW5owiqrT...@giganews.com>,
"Papa Carl" <papa...@verizon.net> wrote:

I think David's posts about Braylon have convinced me why he is not
back. While I might have preferred waiting until his, J. Jones, or M.
Floyd's cost came down, I am less worried about WR than I am regarding
our historical area of need at Safety since we lost Jim Hudson to
injury, at pass rusher, and even OL.

Maybe Matt Roth is not an answer though his stats were a lot better than
Pace and BLT last year according to Bent at the JetsBlog.com.

harlan

Message has been deleted

Johnny Morongo

Aug 2, 2011, 3:25:07 PM8/2/11

Pretty good take, David. I agree that it's very important that this
year's picks are what the FO thinks they can be.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 2, 2011, 3:29:51 PM8/2/11
This is an interesting thread to have jumped in on. There have been
cogent comments from all of you, starting with that old humbug, Gray,
although I'm not sure that Haynesworth will be of much help to the New
England roster.

Papa noted the lack of a proven pass rusher, and I agree.

That loco Bronx exile threw out Ellis, Warren and Harris, who Tanny has
so far ignored for the most part (they have reached out to Ellis though)
and he also noted that we've had some cap limitations, which seems true
to a point (although I read somewhere that we're actually some 8 mil
UNDER the cap at the moment). And he's even right that we didn't rent
Cromartie & Holmes for draft choices. But he's still a company man, and
so can be safely ignored.

David pointed out a couple of reasons that sound like Bray wasn't all
that desirable to management. Not that I would doubt you Tut, but what
are your sources for the Jenkins comment? And how do you know that
Sanchez and the team wouldn't have supported Edwards?

Michael paints a best case scenario, which I can get behind, but for his
high hopes regarding Plax. Old is old. Old slows and breaks down.
Can't never get them years back. An easy injury to see coming, IMHO.
He'll NEVER play a full 16+ games.

Harlan has concerns at safety. I do, and I don't. Leonard and Smith
seem to be similar sorts of players, good against the run, marginal
against the pass. But then there's Lowery, newly heavier, who is a
proven ball hawk. Sounds like a pretty solid rotation, even if there's
no Reed or Polamalu back there.

I'm gonna be positive about this year. And Rex is right: some other
teams are going to have to step up and beat the Pats besides us. If
they do, I think we make it to the Dance.

MZ

Aug 2, 2011, 3:48:19 PM8/2/11
On Aug 1, 9:44 am, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

I assume money is the main reason. They've spent a lot of money the
past couple years. The spending can't continue forever. What does
jetscap say?

Harlan Lachman

Aug 2, 2011, 4:11:22 PM8/2/11
In article
<4dc9800d-77a8-4ce8...@q2g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
MZ <for...@mdz.no-ip.org> wrote:

Actually, Jason has written extensively about this. Just by converting
salary money to bonus money for Sanchez, finishing Harris' deal and
jettisoning BLT, They could have between another $10 - $20 million.

It might be Woody is being cheap with out of pocket dollars. It might be
there is no one Tanny and Rex think is worth paying dollars towards (it
is not like others are throwing the big bucks at Floyd, Jones, Braylon
and Matt Roth), or it just could be bad judgement.

harlna

graybeard

Aug 3, 2011, 10:47:21 AM8/3/11
On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 06:14:52 -0700 (PDT), Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Tutor, you make a number of well reasoned points, but they depend on
many if's and hopes. Rookie D Lineman rarely contribute much in their
first year (after all, it's not like we drafted Suh here). Burress may
or may not return to some semblance of his previous form. The Jets have
been very lucky the last two years to avoid any catastrophic injuries to
key personnel. Sooner or later the odds are going to catch up with us,
yet we still have little depth at a number of positions.

I am delighted that we re-signed Holmes and Cromartie and locked up
Harris. I was annoyed at the dalliance with Asomugha, because I thought
it was ludicrous to tie up that much of your cap on two CB's. Very few
teams in the NFL can boast of fielding 2 CB's with the talent of Revis
and Cromartie, and I thought the extra money that Asomugha would have
commanded would have been better spent elsewhere (and hopefully will
be).

The Pats won 14 regular season games and the division title last year
and have arguably gotten better. The Jets won 11 regular season games,
had to play 3 tough playoff games on the road, and I don't see how
anyone can reasonably say that their roster is better this year. You
keep knocking the Pats' defense, and yet they only gave up 9 more points
than the Jets all of last year, while averaging almost 10 more points
per game.

I guess I think of it this way: if the Jets were an investment firm
entrusted with my life savings, I would prefer that they buy a mix of
proven stocks and higher income opportunities, and not just be high risk
commodity traders.
--
graybeard

graybeard

Aug 3, 2011, 10:57:20 AM8/3/11
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:29:51 -0700, Johnny Morongo <Mor...@Burf.com>
wrote:

>I'm gonna be positive about this year. And Rex is right: some other
>teams are going to have to step up and beat the Pats besides us. If
>they do, I think we make it to the Dance.

Johnny, I'm going to have to take exception to this argument. The Pats
didn't stop us last year, we stopped ourselves by allowing Pitt to score
24 points in the first half. My opinion is that it was because of the
lack of a pass rush, which we are depending on a rookie from Temple to
solve.
--
graybeard

graybeard

Aug 3, 2011, 11:01:27 AM8/3/11
On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:48:19 -0700 (PDT), MZ <for...@mdz.no-ip.org>
wrote:

Ryan has said publicly that the Jets wanted Braylon back, but that he
was asking for too much money. My issue with that is that nobody else is
throwing cash at him either, so how hard did the Jets negotiate?
--
graybeard

graybeard

Aug 3, 2011, 11:07:37 AM8/3/11
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:46:26 -0400, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com>
wrote:

>No one can argue that we improved our areas of need. Improving your
>strengths (maybe) and ignoring the things that got you beat is not a
>prescription for success.
>
>The amazing thing about the Eagles is they parlayed a worthless Kolb and
>cash to strengthen their main area of weakness, their pass defense (both
>on the line and in the defensive backfield).
>
>The fact that no other AFC team has yet improved itself to the same
>extent only means we are not much worse off than last year. But, I
>thought the aim was to get better.
>
>harlan

My point exactly. Parcells used to tell his players, "You are not just
competing against other guys on this team who play your position, you
are also competing against anyone I can find who I think could play it
better than you." I would like to see a little more of that attitude
from this front office and coaching staff.
--
graybeard

Johnny Morongo

Aug 3, 2011, 3:30:25 PM8/3/11

You know Gray, the Steelers steamrolled us in the first half because we
weren't ready for them. The second half was much different. That is
pretty much on the Rex/Pettin duo. So was the 2nd half turnaround. The
lack of a pass rush didn't bite us until that last drive when Ben pulled
no fewer than two amazing completions out of his ass.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 3, 2011, 9:47:50 PM8/3/11
In article <ahoi375k0os7c5qns...@4ax.com>,
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

No one can know until he signs. Then we can look at the numbers and have
at least some idea.

It ain't over till its over.

I like Rex' invitation because if Braylon settles for a one year deal in
the desert for peanuts, he will look like a fool now.

Papa Carl

Aug 3, 2011, 11:29:46 PM8/3/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

If the team doesn't like him...that is it...he shouldn't be there.
Something isn't right and it can't be all of them and he's the one who has
it. I still liked how he plays, he blocks.

Papa Carl

Aug 4, 2011, 7:25:44 PM8/4/11

"graybeard" <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Gray...you win the prize for the correct answer. Thinking that "someone
else" is going to have to do something to win it is an admission of failure.
Nobody else is going to win it for you. If you go into the season that way
you are covering your ass ahead of time because you know it is not going to
happen. You are also correct in your analysis that NO pass rush killed them
and will again.
OMHO, Papa Carl

Parker Race

Aug 5, 2011, 7:31:53 AM8/5/11

"Harlan Lachman" wrote in message

I'm hoping the Giants will consider offering him a one year deal given the
uncertainties in our WR corps.
Imagine the pre game hype of this years Giants Jets game if that happened!

graybeard

Aug 5, 2011, 7:55:46 AM8/5/11

Edwards has signed with the '49ers for 1 year at $3.5M. Only $500,000
more than the Jets paid Plaxico.
--
graybeard

Parker Race

Aug 5, 2011, 11:40:31 AM8/5/11

"graybeard" wrote in message

Yes, I missed it. I don’t know if the Giants could have paid him based on
their cap situation and Smith still unsigned.
I really hope Smith can come back and Nicks can stay healthy a full year.