Braylon Edwards....the real deal

papa.carl44

Jan 8, 2011, 11:20:28 PM1/8/11
Not only does he make the catches, the hard ones...he blocks and makes a
huge difference out there. Without that last catch, Nick does not get the
chance to win it.....I love the way he plays. I also loved watching Peyton
so frustrated. Now...if Rex chewed out some guys (Cromartie) at half
time...I hope he does the same thing to whoever's idea it was to go for a
bomb on third and six in a situation that could win the game. That kind of
stuff with a QB who was obviously having serious shoulder issues was flat
out stupid. Still, even Sanchez's less than great play got it done when
needed. Very exciting game to watch, IMHO. Papa Carl

Harlan Lachman

Jan 8, 2011, 11:32:06 PM1/8/11
In article <1-qdnfoXy-sQqrTQ...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Ditto on the entire excellent post.

Enjoy the week Papa (et. al.). Our season ain't over. By Sunday night,
24 teams' seasons will be.

harlan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 12:04:27 AM1/9/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

It just feels good to root for a team that wins :-) I have never strayed,
always been a Jets fan since they became the Jets, even before Namath. I
never knew why either, I was a North Jersey kid who grew up, into high
school, rooting for the Giants. In high school the new league attracted my
attention. I used to watch Titans games with my next door neighbor who was
one of my football coaches in high school. When I went to college they
became the Jets and I was in a location where there were tons of Eagles and
Steelers fans...they hated NY'ers it seemed. So I started to follow the
Jets. Then my old coach pointed out to me when I came home after the season
that the "new league" did a much better job of playing defense (in his
opinion). And that the offense was wide open...the way he liked it but
could never run it at the high school :-) So...all those years. Then on
the day Namath won the thing, my wife was in the hospital, she had emergency
appendix surgery early in the morning. I spent time with her, and then went
home to clean up and get ready to go back, while at home I watched the Jets
beat the Colts...came to the hospital and she wondered why I was so happy.
At that point she had NO clue about the game at all, tonight she was
pointing out things to me and very accurately too. So...after a long, long
time with season's tickets after I quit coaching too, it is just nice to
see them win a meaningful game. Rex's D was very well designed
tonight...and I hope somebody recognizes that Eric Smith played really well,
along with Poole too. They may actually have found a position for Smith
that works for him, his reads on Manning inside were very good. Revis was
outstanding...and those others guys did a pretty good job inside. Cromartie
has some issues....but we have to give him some slack for that KO return to
set up the win. He does bring it when it counts. I am not counting them
out for next week either. This could be very interesting.

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 12:05:23 AM1/9/11

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> Yup, I agree about Braylon, as you see from my post after yours (which I
> didn't see).
> Sanchez finally had some time, in the 2nd half, after they focused more on
> rushing.
> I'll tell ya, it's so clear to me that this is the wrong O for Sanchez - -
> the offense
> that Schott opted for to start the game.
>
> Enjoy the win, hombre!

I think you could hear Jean screaming from way down the street at the
end...the dog ran and hid :-)

Still Roper

Jan 9, 2011, 12:35:49 AM1/9/11
On Jan 8, 11:20 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:

His blocking is the difference....been very noticeable the last few
games. Hell...my wife even noticed...

Percy Flage

Jan 9, 2011, 12:35:53 AM1/9/11

Great post Papa, thanks for sharing.

Makes me feel like the newbie Jets fan I am with a mere 25 years
suffering under my belt. You've at least seen a championship in your time.

--
Percy Flage
"Life is too short to have to explain everyday."

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Jan 9, 2011, 11:52:40 AM1/9/11
In article <_ObWo.59272$Dz5....@newsfe27.ams2>,
Percy Flage <percy.flage_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote:

Papa, my Dad took our Stamford, CT scout troop to the polo grounds to
watch Cookie Gilchrest crush Dick Wood Wahoo McDaniel and the entire
Jets team (a lot like that Marshawn Lynch run yesterday -- all game). We
had tickets to Namath's first start but our Stinkin Lincoln crapped out
on the Hutch and we missed it. Got season tix and saw the first AFC
Championship, the highest non-drugged high I ever experienced.

I think one forms attachments during formative years and for most folks,
that's all she wrote.

I have too hard a time admitting Smith played decently as a positional
player. I like the perfection that is Revis or the only two bad plays by
Cro. I saw too many times Eric could not stone a small RB to prevent a
first down, but he did not lose us this game. And, Poole did only blow
one obvious play and Rex' tirade made it clear who he blamed.

Harlan Lachman

Jan 9, 2011, 11:53:48 AM1/9/11
In article <dpfii6tbhqean01fq...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> I mentioned yesterday, I'm not ready for the season to end.
> We'll be in the champeenship game... then we'll see ;)

That would work for me.

just seeing how the mediaots explain how they got it wrong about this
team so many times would be fun.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 1:27:20 PM1/9/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

The Poole over coverage was not really that bad..he should have been there,
in the over with the angle, but the position he started from made it
difficult to recover...I can see where that happens...but it was Cro all the
way who blew it in the PRIMARY read...all support coverage almost always
comes from a secondary read. I started to focus on Smith, and he played
very well in that short coverage / LB role...he even hit harder..much
harder...maybe he is just not good in space...and I'm not saying he is an
answer...but the answer to good coaching is to figure out how to use who you
have, and Rex did that this time.

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 1:30:28 PM1/9/11

> Smilin'... give her a congrats for me ;)

A forced by marriage football and Jets fan....she was off the chain when our
son played...when he was playing strong safety in high school it was "Get
him, hit him. kill him." And then he got converted to a running back in
college and it was holding her breath and saying it was a penalty to hit him
so hard. Fortunately, I never sat with her through the high school years
because I was coaching :-) And in college I could tell her to calm down.
She has more Jets clothing than I ever thought of having...she even puts
bandanas on the dogs.

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 1:30:57 PM1/9/11

"Still Roper" <mark_edw...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

:-) mine too...ain't that cool?

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 3:48:49 PM1/9/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

I never got to see the Jets live till the Meadowlands move. My wife's
cousin did a lot of work with them and would get us tickets when I could get
to a game. Still....my son got his first football uniform when he was about
four years old...a Jets one. At that time we lived in Westchester Co.
NY...then we moved to Central Jersey and he was the only kid around who was
a Jets fan. It never bothered him, he has stuck with them...now he has
three kids of his own, lives outside of Philly, works in Philly and is still
Jets fan...but, his son wants an "Eagles shirt"....I'll work on him :-) His
daughter is trying to teach her little brother to say "J E T S Jets Jets
Jets"...he's not quite 3 so we have some time to overide his Mom's family
influence. But...I do really enjoy watching Vick play...from an old coaches
position, he is a wonder to watch now..not the old Vick...the new reinvented
one who has incredible mechanics at QB. I wish Sanchez had some of that
speed. :-)

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 5:58:34 PM1/9/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

H...do you remember when Wahoo called out Sam Huff? And Cookie
Gilchrest...what memories that brings back. Remember how big he seemed then
for a RB? Not so anymore. I think he wound up going to prison or something
too....He was a huge power back then. Lots of good memories. And you even
made me remember many days spent on the Hutch....once with a flat tire in an
old Ford in a pouring down rain storm...that was no fun at all. My wife's
family lived near Stamford and we would go up there on weekends...lots of
memories from your post. PC

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 6:50:59 PM1/9/11

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 13:30:28 -0500, "papa.carl44"
> Yup... nothin' like a woman's passion ;)

LOL.....the "other" blonde, the one you met, has a ton of Eagles stuff...we
tried to "correct" her but no deal.

Harlan Lachman

Jan 9, 2011, 6:56:51 PM1/9/11
In article <L7ednf1exYyUY7TQ...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Agreed. And the especially nice thing was that this was the first time
Rex went against tendency when it worked and Shott let someone other
than him call a big play and it worked. The former gives me a little
more hope. The latter is a model for future success.

PS: I loved being aggressive at the end. I hated the run play at the end
and think the pass probably led to Folk making the FG.

papa.carl44

Jan 9, 2011, 7:52:44 PM1/9/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

The pass to Braylon definitely made the FG work. I had this thought,
watching the games today with my son. The fact that Sanchez seems so much
better in crisis time says something. My son reminded me of someone we both
knew who played that way...and the key to getting him better was to get a
particular coach out of his face and mind. When that change occurred he let
it all fall into place. Sometimes when the "teacher" is always right on top
of it all you just don't perform as well. Whatever, they need to find the
button on MS and push it...the one thing that lets him relax and just
play...react and do it rather than think about it too much.