Play of the game?

Grinch

Oct 12, 2010, 6:56:36 PM10/12/10
"Last night Minnesota opened with a reverse pass from Randy Moss to
Brett Favre, gaining 9 yards but overturned by a penalty -- as drawn
up, the play was illegal.

"Set aside that the Vikings have 26 coaches yet none of them knew, or
bothered to check, the rule governing passing back to the quarterback.
(The rule quirk is that to be an eligible receiver, a quarterback must
line up at least 1 yard off the line of scrimmage; Favre lined up
under center.)

"What was the point of having Moss throw a rinky-dink short pass to
Favre, who is 41 years old and must stay uninjured for the Vikings to
post a big season?..."

TMQ gives his opinion of what "the point" was:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101012_tuesday_morning_quarterback

Be that as it may, it says something about somebody: The coaching
staff of 26 (literally) spends a week or more drawing up a special
trick play to open a MNF game, and the play as they design it is
illegal.

papa.carl44

Oct 12, 2010, 7:51:18 PM10/12/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Well....I do think it was a stupid play and idea. But you can make a good
argument that if the ball is the line of scrimage, then being behind a 6'5"
300 pound man is about a yard off of it. The play is legal in college and
high school. The penalty that called the play back was a lineman down
field, not Brett not being a yard back. The actual play has been around a
long, long time and is no big deal at other levels of the game. I do
believe the only accurate issue reported was probably the reason they
attempted it, also the timing thinking that the Jets would not respond to it
at all. As for the allignment, he is off the line of scrimage...if he were
not then every formation would be illegal...that analysis does not wash. I
love it when these guys who only think they understand the game because they
have watched it for a few years come up with this stuff. Stupid
play...absolutely, illegal as drawn up, it was not.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

A J

Oct 13, 2010, 1:39:17 PM10/13/10
On Oct 12, 6:56 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "Last night Minnesota opened with a reverse pass from Randy Moss to
> Brett Favre, gaining 9 yards but overturned by a penalty -- as drawn
> up, the play was illegal.
>
> "Set aside that the Vikings have 26 coaches yet none of them knew, or
> bothered to check, the rule governing passing back to the quarterback.
> (The rule quirk is that to be an eligible receiver, a quarterback must
> line up at least 1 yard off the line of scrimmage; Favre lined up
> under center.)
>
> "What was the point of having Moss throw a rinky-dink short pass to
> Favre, who is 41 years old and must stay uninjured for the Vikings to
> post a big season?..."
>
> TMQ gives his opinion of what "the point" was:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101012_tu...

> Be that as it may, it says something about somebody:  The coaching
> staff of 26 (literally) spends a week or more drawing up a special
> trick play to open a MNF game, and the play as they design it is
> illegal.

My first reaction to that play was that the pass was an ad lib.

It seemed to me to be Moss' reaction to the Jets D stringing out to
the sideline.
Moss saw Brett and seemed to shot put it to him.

Not saying I'm correct, this was just my initial reaction.

A J

Grinch

Oct 16, 2010, 5:14:59 PM10/16/10
On Oct 12, 6:56 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "Last night Minnesota opened with a reverse pass from Randy Moss to
> Brett Favre, gaining 9 yards but overturned by a penalty -- as drawn
> up, the play was illegal.
>
> "Set aside that the Vikings have 26 coaches yet none of them knew, or
> bothered to check, the rule governing passing back to the quarterback.
> (The rule quirk is that to be an eligible receiver, a quarterback must
> line up at least 1 yard off the line of scrimmage; Favre lined up
> under center.)
>
> "What was the point of having Moss throw a rinky-dink short pass to
> Favre, who is 41 years old and must stay uninjured for the Vikings to
> post a big season?..."
>
> TMQ gives his opinion of what "the point" was:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101012_tu...

> Be that as it may, it says something about somebody:  The coaching
> staff of 26 (literally) spends a week or more drawing up a special
> trick play to open a MNF game, and the play as they design it is
> illegal.

FootballOutsiders goes over this play in detail, with a nice diagram.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2010/walkthrough-clear-communication
Third item: "Burn this play"

~~~
...Moss takes the reverse handoff, then things go awry.

Moss wants to throw to Visanthe Shiancoe (81), but Shiancoe is
covered, and as is often the case on option-reverse passes, he's the
only eligible receiver running a pattern. Luckily for Moss, one
ineligible receiver runs a pattern, and Moss hits Favre racing along
the sideline as if they've been practicing that play together all
their lives...

...but you would think that after 20 years, [Favre] would know that he
cannot catch a pass, cannot run downfield to block, cannot do anything
when he's under center -- except hand off and throw.

Let's give Childress the benefit of the doubt and say that he didn't
draw up an illegal play: Favre wasn't supposed to run a route or block
down the field, he was just supposed to lead block if Moss decided to
run.

Brett Favre. Lead Blocker on a sweep. First play of the game. Against
the Jets.

On second thought, let's give Childress the benefit of the doubt and
say that he drew up an illegal play instead of sending a 41-year old
man on a suicide mission.

On third thought, let's just burn this play!.

Deadmeat

Oct 16, 2010, 6:42:02 PM10/16/10

Long ago, and it may have been 1982 (the year that will never be
forgotten by jet fans) David Woodley caught a TD pass after handing off
to Tony Nathan, I believe, who threw it back to him.

Message has been deleted

Deadmeat

Oct 18, 2010, 4:30:14 PM10/18/10
On 10/16/2010 10:29 PM, buRford wrote:
> Anyone here know any Jets fans, that pay any mind to 1982?
>
> Yes, we get you imagine this boogie monster (circa: 1982).
> You're beating a dead,& mummified horse, bro.

Harland brings it up all the time, and so do others. Search if you
have the time.

Deadmeat

Oct 18, 2010, 4:37:22 PM10/18/10

Just in case you don't believe me, I decided to find one for you, merely
three weeks ago by H.

"Just like Parcells gave them the chance to be winners after all those
> > SOJ years and the only previous choice I remember was when Shula
took it
> > away by disregarding the league rules and getting away with it scott
> > free, Rex and Tanny have clearly assembled a unit that gets to decide
> > tonight if they are losers or winners."

Now, what do you think that referred to?