Re: Anyone have a clue??

Message has been deleted

Michael

Jan 24, 2011, 9:32:15 AM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 9:14 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> The Jets as a team, have shown a lot of heart.
> They play tough, and have shown resiliency.
>
> That said, what the f**k happened yesterday, in the first half?
> How could they come out flat, as they did?
> As bad as the D was at points during the season, they never missed tackles like that, and
> were pushed around as they were.  As Revis said, *we didn't show up.*
> And when asked about it, none of the players had a clue why.
> How could a team not show up for a Title game?
> As for the O, while I always hope, I never expect anything for obvious reasons (OC).
>
> My only explanation, is that they were too involved with all the hype.
> You had all the Media interviews... I mean, players were being interviewed non-stop.
> And ya had two *pep* rallies.
>
> Other than that, it's baffling.
> If I were Rex, I'd cut back on player interviews before big games.  Let's say that after
> the Thursday before a game, the Jets don't grant Media access to players... only coaches.

it was a good old school ass kicking in the first half... the jets
could have off set the steelers points by opening up their offense in
the second quarter but they waited until the too late in the game to
let sanchez play. if they come away from this game with anything,
they should learn their lesson about sanchez. he does not have to be
protected or marginalized. let him play the game to the full.

EGK

Jan 24, 2011, 9:57:05 AM1/24/11
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:14:44 -0500, buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

>The Jets as a team, have shown a lot of heart.
>They play tough, and have shown resiliency.
>
>That said, what the f**k happened yesterday, in the first half?
>How could they come out flat, as they did?
>As bad as the D was at points during the season, they never missed tackles like that, and
>were pushed around as they were. As Revis said, *we didn't show up.*
>And when asked about it, none of the players had a clue why.
>How could a team not show up for a Title game?
>As for the O, while I always hope, I never expect anything for obvious reasons (OC).
>
>My only explanation, is that they were too involved with all the hype.
>You had all the Media interviews... I mean, players were being interviewed non-stop.
>And ya had two *pep* rallies.
>
>Other than that, it's baffling.
>If I were Rex, I'd cut back on player interviews before big games. Let's say that after
>the Thursday before a game, the Jets don't grant Media access to players... only coaches.

Maybe it's just hard to switch gears for the style of teams you're facing.
Both the Colts and the Pats are more finesse type teams while the Steelers
are smash-mouth. The Steelers had to play that same physical game in their
playoff victory over the Ravens. The Jets got to be the bully in their
games.

You could be right that all the hype surrounding the Jets affected how they
prepared. They just weren't ready to face another physical team again.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Jan 24, 2011, 10:22:02 AM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 10:15 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe it's just hard to switch gears for the style of teams you're facing.
> > Both the Colts and the Pats are more finesse type teams while the Steelers
> > are smash-mouth.   The Steelers had to play that same physical game in their
> > playoff victory over the Ravens.   The Jets got to be the bully in their
> > games.
>
> > You could be right that all the hype surrounding the Jets affected how they
> > prepared.  They just weren't ready to face another physical team again.
>
> Our DL sucks.  DeVito & Pouha wouldn't start on most teams. Ellis was
> limping the entire game.

i dont agree with you. pouha and devito make a nice first down line.
they were not the guys trying to make arm tackles yesterday. the jets
problem on in general defense is they dont have a good pass rushing
sub package to put in. they have plenty of db's and a good run
stuffing set. none of their defenders are very good pass rushers.
pace has had trouble getting off blocks, ellis only got sacks after
brady held the ball for seven seconds, jason taylor is no longer jason
taylor... their real problem yesterday on defense was just horrible
fundamentals and lack of focus and effort.

Tutor

Jan 24, 2011, 10:23:25 AM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 10:15 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe it's just hard to switch gears for the style of teams you're facing.
> > Both the Colts and the Pats are more finesse type teams while the Steelers
> > are smash-mouth.   The Steelers had to play that same physical game in their
> > playoff victory over the Ravens.   The Jets got to be the bully in their
> > games.
>
> > You could be right that all the hype surrounding the Jets affected how they
> > prepared.  They just weren't ready to face another physical team again.
>
> Our DL sucks.  DeVito & Pouha wouldn't start on most teams. Ellis was
> limping the entire game.

well if that's the case then why the fuck did Rex defer on the coin
toss? Sorry, but that decision was flat out wrong for this game.
Sure, let's get this travel worn defense tired against a real rushing
threat (unlike the Pats or the Colts)before it was necessary. Yeah...
that's a great fucking idea on the road in the playoffs. Neither the
Pats nor the Colts challenged the middle with a running threat.
Pittsburgh with Mendenhall sure did and that's what killed them in the
first half.

I really think that all the travel wore them down. Need home field
next time.

FInally, with all that said, this team lost the game for two reasons:
a tired and undermanned defense that was forced to be on the field way
too long in the first half, partially by Rex's stupid decision to
defer and because Schottenheimer is an idiot and has no idea what to
do out there.

Hammer

Jan 24, 2011, 10:30:23 AM1/24/11

What's the other reason? :)

Message has been deleted

javaman91

Jan 24, 2011, 11:35:12 AM1/24/11
On Monday, January 24, 2011 10:23:25 AM UTC-5, Tutor wrote:

> well if that's the case then why the fuck did Rex defer on the coin
> toss? Sorry, but that decision was flat out wrong for this game.
> Sure, let's get this travel worn defense tired against a real rushing
> threat (unlike the Pats or the Colts)before it was necessary. Yeah...
> that's a great fucking idea on the road in the playoffs. Neither the
> Pats nor the Colts challenged the middle with a running threat.
> Pittsburgh with Mendenhall sure did and that's what killed them in the
> first half.

Gotta agree there - didn't know from the outset why they chose to defer. All things considered, take the ball and try to put some damn points on the board.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Parker Race

Jan 24, 2011, 12:04:13 PM1/24/11

:
[...]

Do you think your D line and backers may have hit a wall? Aren't many of
them getting along in age in football years?
Funny thing I clicked on the Pats group thinking I was in your group. It
took me a while to figure out as the Pats group is so troll infested.
I thought I was seeing the troll invasion here. : )

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Beiselbub©

Jan 24, 2011, 12:20:02 PM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 7:14 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> The Jets as a team, have shown a lot of heart.
> They play tough, and have shown resiliency.
>
> That said, what the f**k happened yesterday, in the first half?

Simple. The Jets never truly got past New England. That loss was the
cost they paid emotionally getting past New England. In effect, we
won.

papa.carl44

Jan 24, 2011, 1:24:38 PM1/24/11

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> The Jets as a team, have shown a lot of heart.
> They play tough, and have shown resiliency.
>
> That said, what the f**k happened yesterday, in the first half?
> How could they come out flat, as they did?
> As bad as the D was at points during the season, they never missed tackles
> like that, and
> were pushed around as they were. As Revis said, *we didn't show up.*
> And when asked about it, none of the players had a clue why.
> How could a team not show up for a Title game?
> As for the O, while I always hope, I never expect anything for obvious
> reasons (OC).
>
> My only explanation, is that they were too involved with all the hype.
> You had all the Media interviews... I mean, players were being interviewed
> non-stop.
> And ya had two *pep* rallies.
>
> Other than that, it's baffling.
> If I were Rex, I'd cut back on player interviews before big games. Let's
> say that after
> the Thursday before a game, the Jets don't grant Media access to
> players... only coaches.

Remember when Rex said they needed to go back to some basics? And
apparently they did for a few days or something and actually started
tackling again? Well, the old habits came back and at a very bad
time.....they did not play tough and looked very sloppy with the basic
fundamental skills of football on defense especially. I focused on the
difference between a Steeler hitting on a tackle and how most of the Jets
were doing it...Steelers kept balance and drove their bodies and legs...Jets
lunged and hoped the hit would take the guy down...all basic stuff that is
an uncommon skill and needs to be drilled on and when you don't things get
sloppy. They got their asses kicked by guys who played harder...especially
when the Jets were on defense, I actually think the O, in general, played a
little harder and with some effort....the front unit of D looked very
tentative and got pushed all over. The O line did not get the edge on any
of the surges.....it just looked like sloppy play and people did not finish
things.

papa.carl44

Jan 24, 2011, 1:25:50 PM1/24/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Maybe it's just hard to switch gears for the style of teams you're facing.
> Both the Colts and the Pats are more finesse type teams while the Steelers
> are smash-mouth. The Steelers had to play that same physical game in their
> playoff victory over the Ravens. The Jets got to be the bully in their
> games.
>
> You could be right that all the hype surrounding the Jets affected how
> they
> prepared. They just weren't ready to face another physical team again.

Our DL sucks. DeVito & Pouha wouldn't start on most teams. Ellis was
limping the entire game.

You're right...they wouldn't. They are average at best.....none of them
looked sharp.

papa.carl44

Jan 24, 2011, 1:27:12 PM1/24/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Michael...I saw Pouha make arm tackles several times...just reaching, no leg
drive or lunging...the entire defense seemed to be into this lunge
thing....they looked like guys who had not worked on basics in quite a
while.

papa.carl44

Jan 24, 2011, 1:28:09 PM1/24/11

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You may be very right...the travel continuously could just have done them
in....that was a Hell of a schedule.

papa.carl44

Jan 24, 2011, 1:30:12 PM1/24/11

> > > Maybe it's just hard to switch gears for the style of teams you're
> > > facing.
> > > Both the Colts and the Pats are more finesse type teams while the
> > > Steelers
> > > are smash-mouth. The Steelers had to play that same physical game in
> > > their
> > > playoff victory over the Ravens. The Jets got to be the bully in their
> > > games.
>
> > > You could be right that all the hype surrounding the Jets affected how
> > > they
> > > prepared. They just weren't ready to face another physical team again.
>
> > Our DL sucks. DeVito & Pouha wouldn't start on most teams. Ellis was
> > limping the entire game.
>
> well if that's the case then why the fuck did Rex defer on the coin
> toss? Sorry, but that decision was flat out wrong for this game.
> Sure, let's get this travel worn defense tired against a real rushing
> threat (unlike the Pats or the Colts)before it was necessary. Yeah...
> that's a great fucking idea on the road in the playoffs. Neither the
> Pats nor the Colts challenged the middle with a running threat.
> Pittsburgh with Mendenhall sure did and that's what killed them in the
> first half.
>
> I really think that all the travel wore them down. Need home field
> next time.

If they start winning at home I will agree but we struggled all week.

> FInally, with all that said, this team lost the game for two reasons:
> a tired and undermanned defense that was forced to be on the field way
> too long in the first half, partially by Rex's stupid decision to
> defer and because Schottenheimer is an idiot and has no idea what to
> do out there.

You might be right but Sanchez has some work to do as well. If this
is what I thought we would get I would be very pleased two years ago
but he has to improve his accuracy & he has to see the field better.

The fact he is so much better on play action and in quick stuff tells me the
problem is somewhere else...in design of some things somehow....he sees
things when he's on the move it seems or when it is quick.....it seems to me
they have receivers in the same area too often...could be wrong.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

- Rob -

Jan 24, 2011, 4:26:17 PM1/24/11
On Jan 24, 12:30 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:51c3e3e9-f7e1-4440...@i13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...

I completely agree. Sanchez is so noticeably better in the no-huddle/
hurry-up offense that the root of the problem in the passing game has
to be elsewhere. I suspect that, thanks to Schotty, it's more of a
"too much gimmicky crap to think about at the line" issue. I'd love to
see a statistical breakdown of Sanchez's passing numbers in the no-
huddle vs. "normal" offense.

As for why the Jets lost...I immediately sensed imminent disaster when
I heard about the "send-off" given to the team in Florham Park on
Saturday. Although reaching the AFC title game is obviously a sign of
progress, it's not the ultimate goal (of winning the Super Bowl). So
the "hero" treatment, combined with the emotional win over the Pats,
was bound to leave the team flat. The first half showed that in
spades.

On a side note...it's been years since I posted here. Where the hell
did Bob Jensen go? I fully expected to see the master apologist
espousing his love Herm Edwards...er....Schotty. lol

Message has been deleted

JKConey

Jan 25, 2011, 1:25:15 PM1/25/11

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> The Jets as a team, have shown a lot of heart.
> They play tough, and have shown resiliency.
>
> That said, what the f**k happened yesterday, in the first half?
> How could they come out flat, as they did?

How can they be so unprepared so many times? The pats blowout, the
shutout, the Ravens and Miami games? "Let's go with the kids idea of the
hurry up". "Let's let him throw it to Braylon once instead of a 50 yard FG".
Mismanagement of goal line choices and time issues right before halfs. It's
all about coaching. Schott is awful and the blame has to be placed square on
Rex for being too loyal. Sanchez impressed me with this game, but what might
have been if they had Woodhead or used McKnight more as a changeup like Leon
this year? They got lucky for awhile with LT, but strayed from Greene as the
feature back this year.

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

papa.carl44

Jan 25, 2011, 5:37:42 PM1/25/11

"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ALL very good points. LT should have been the change up guy...Shonn needed
to max the carries and he is a much more punishing runner. Rex will go to
his NFL grave if he hangs in with Schott....Rex will become somebody's DC
and never again get a "shot."

- Rob -

Jan 26, 2011, 2:59:04 AM1/26/11
On Jan 24, 9:05 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Hey, Rob... Jensen's been gone since the Preacher years.  He was seen on some Jets boards,
> but now... who knows?
>
> Not only the Florham Park thing, but there was also one at Times Sq, not to mention all
> the radio/tv appearances by players.
>
> Don't stay a stranger to the NG ;)

Thanks for the welcome back.:)

I hadn't heard about the Times Square event. Yikes! Hopefully team
brass will realize that *almost* making it to the mountain top isn't
the same as viewing the world from its apex and will thus resist any
future temptation to celebrate the former at the (apparent) cost of
the latter -- although Rex's ringing endorsement of Schotty doesn't
exactly give me confidence about that. Granted, I'm still solidly in
the pro-Rex camp, but his blind loyalty and/or cluelessness about
offense bothers me. As I don't want this team to turn into the 2000's
Eagles.

Message has been deleted

JKConey

Jan 26, 2011, 2:19:45 PM1/26/11

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

It's an honor to have you agree with me!

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

- Rob -

Jan 26, 2011, 6:28:49 PM1/26/11
On Jan 26, 12:48 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Yup, there's time for rallies & parades after.  Before they're just distractions.
> I'd bet one reason the Jets do it, is to sell stuff... everything is about money.
>
> I think loyalty is part of it, with Rex, but I also get a sense that he just doesn't want
> to deal with it.  I mean, the offense tips its plays beforehand, and Rex being a D guy,
> should be involved enough with the O, that he can pick up the flaws & inform Schott.
> He just doesn't get it yet... if he ever will.

That latter point is something which continues to befuddle me. Basic
logic would indicate that a so-called defensive guru such as Rex
should easily be able to spot an offense's failings. After all, that's
precisely what defenses exist to do: stop offenses by diagnosing their
weaknesses. So while it's probably a stretch to think he could come up
with a scheme and/or plays that would work on offense, there's really
no excuse for why he seemingly refuses to identify what isn't working
and isn't taking action to address it.

papa.carl44

Jan 26, 2011, 7:28:08 PM1/26/11

"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I think I do most of the time :-) I was really disappointed about
Woodhead...I've always felt a short back like that can cause problems in
certain situations.

Message has been deleted

JKConey

Jan 26, 2011, 10:53:45 PM1/26/11

>> It's an honor to have you agree with me!
>>
> I think I do most of the time :-) I was really disappointed about
> Woodhead...I've always felt a short back like that can cause problems in
> certain situations.

For me a lot of it was Hard Knocks. Remember the game where he was
benching everyone that fumbled, and Woodhead was the only guy left. He was
running and catching the ball all over the place, and I said to myself,
"this kid just made the team". Rex was bubbling about him.

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

papa.carl44

Jan 27, 2011, 7:55:35 PM1/27/11

"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in message

:-) And that's how he looked playing for NE too.