this for a late 5th rounder

Tutor

Apr 14, 2010, 9:41:38 AM4/14/10
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlD.LPrjCujhMLdKweDPRQtDubYF?slug=jc-directsnap041310

"As good friend, Steelers fan and statistical analyst Dutch Wydo
pointed out shortly after Holmes was dealt Sunday, Holmes was one of
the best receivers in the league at truly moving the chains.

Last year, Holmes accounted for 63 first downs out of his 79
receptions. That 79.7 percent mark of creating a first down was the
second highest among the NFL’s top 50 pass catchers (the San Diego
Chargers’ Vincent Jackson(notes) was first at a stunning 85.3 percent
of his 68 catches).

Even if you take away Holmes’ five touchdowns (touchdowns count as
first downs), he was a master of creating a fresh set of downs. To
break that down further, there were only seven of the top 50 in the
league who topped the 75 percent mark. By comparison, the NFL’s
leading receiver, Wes Welker(notes), created 71 first downs. But
Welker did that on 123 receptions, meaning that only 57.7 percent of
his catches went for first downs"

What Holmes provided was a quick receiver who never quit on plays even
as they broke down. His willingness to work to get open all the way to
the last moment can’t be overstated. When combined with
Roethlisberger’s pump-faking, extend-the-play-to-the-last-second
style, Holmes’ ability was maximized.

JMac

Apr 14, 2010, 9:47:29 AM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 9:41 am, Tutor <dcat4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlD.LPrjCujhMLdKweDPRQtDubYF?sl...

And if Schott ever learns to use the roll-out to Sanchez' advantage,
we should be in the very same position to benefit from his style of
play. Given the strengths (and weaknesses) of our O-line, and
Sanchez' skill at throwing while in motion, it amazes me that we don't
move the pocket more.

JMac

Grinch

Apr 14, 2010, 12:02:07 PM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

This we get for 12 games for a late fifth rounder. There's one year
left on his contract and he's suspended for the first four games of
it.

Hammer

Apr 14, 2010, 2:42:51 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 12:02 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Tutor <dcat4...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlD.LPrjCujhMLdKweDPRQtDubYF?sl...
>

> >"As good friend, Steelers fan and statistical analyst Dutch Wydo
> >pointed out shortly after Holmes was dealt Sunday, Holmes was one of
> >the best receivers in the league at truly moving the chains.
>
> >Last year, Holmes accounted for 63 first downs out of his 79
> >receptions. That 79.7 percent mark of creating a first down was the
> >second highest among the NFL’s top 50 pass catchers (the San Diego
> >Chargers’ Vincent Jackson(notes) was first at a stunning 85.3 percent
> >of his 68 catches).
>
> >Even if you take away Holmes’ five touchdowns (touchdowns count as
> >first downs), he was a master of creating a fresh set of downs. To
> >break that down further, there were only seven of the top 50 in the
> >league who topped the 75 percent mark. By comparison, the NFL’s
> >leading receiver, Wes Welker(notes), created 71 first downs. But
> >Welker did that on 123 receptions, meaning that only 57.7 percent of
> >his catches went for first downs"
>
> >What Holmes provided was a quick receiver who never quit on plays even
> >as they broke down. His willingness to work to get open all the way to
> >the last moment can’t be overstated. When combined with
> >Roethlisberger’s pump-faking, extend-the-play-to-the-last-second
> >style, Holmes’ ability was maximized.
>
> This we get for 12 games for a late fifth rounder. There's one year
> left on his contract and he's suspended for the first four games of
> it.- Hide quoted text -

I'm hoping we get him for 15 games this year.

Tutor

Apr 15, 2010, 7:53:43 PM4/15/10
On Apr 14, 12:02 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Tutor <dcat4...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlD.LPrjCujhMLdKweDPRQtDubYF?sl...
>
> >"As good friend, Steelers fan and statistical analyst Dutch Wydo
> >pointed out shortly after Holmes was dealt Sunday, Holmes was one of
> >the best receivers in the league at truly moving the chains.
>
> >Last year, Holmes accounted for 63 first downs out of his 79
> >receptions. That 79.7 percent mark of creating a first down was the
> >second highest among the NFL’s top 50 pass catchers (the San Diego
> >Chargers’ Vincent Jackson(notes) was first at a stunning 85.3 percent
> >of his 68 catches).
>
> >Even if you take away Holmes’ five touchdowns (touchdowns count as
> >first downs), he was a master of creating a fresh set of downs. To
> >break that down further, there were only seven of the top 50 in the
> >league who topped the 75 percent mark. By comparison, the NFL’s
> >leading receiver, Wes Welker(notes), created 71 first downs. But
> >Welker did that on 123 receptions, meaning that only 57.7 percent of
> >his catches went for first downs"
>
> >What Holmes provided was a quick receiver who never quit on plays even
> >as they broke down. His willingness to work to get open all the way to
> >the last moment can’t be overstated. When combined with
> >Roethlisberger’s pump-faking, extend-the-play-to-the-last-second
> >style, Holmes’ ability was maximized.
>
> This we get for 12 games for a late fifth rounder. There's one year
> left on his contract and he's suspended for the first four games of
> it.- Hide quoted text -

If Holmes produces and keeps his nose clean, he may get a contract
from the Jets. Same for Edwards. But probably not both. I would
like them to extend Cotchery. Not sure when JCo's contract expires.