LaDainian Tomlinson may visit NY Jets

Johnctx

Mar 11, 2010, 4:16:39 PM3/11/10
HUH?

When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/tomlinson_may_visit_the_ny_jet.html

If veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson leaves Minnesota without a
contract on Thursday, he's scheduled to visit the Jets on Friday,
according to an report on ESPN.

The Jets are searching for a veteran running back to replace the
departed Thomas Jones and complement second-year pro Shonn Greene.

Tomlinson, a nine-year veteran, has been on the decline in recent years,
however. Last season, he rushed for 730 yards and 12 touchdowns on 223
carries (3.3-yard average). It was the first time in his career he
didn't reach the 1,000-yard mark.

I find the courting of Tomlinson a bit curious even though he played in
San Diego with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and knows
the offense.

First, I thought the Jets were looking for a between-the-tackles running
back to replace Jones. Although Tomlinson can do it (he's extremely
effective near the goal line), that's not his forte. He's more of an
open-field runner.

All I can think of is that perhaps Tomlinson would be insurance against
the Jets possibly losing restricted free agent running back Leon
Washington. Like Washington, Tomlinson is quick and can catch the ball
out of the backfield.

That said, Tomlinson has looked done over the past two seasons. Unlike
Jones, he had a ton of carries early in his career and his body is
obviously breaking down. I guess the Jets see something on film that I
don't see.

© 2010 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

MZ

Mar 11, 2010, 4:31:43 PM3/11/10
Johnctx wrote:
> HUH?
>
> When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?

<cue Johnny...>

Tutor

Mar 11, 2010, 4:47:37 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 4:16 pm, Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
> HUH?
>
> When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?
>
> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/tomlinson_may_visit_the_ny_j...

Me thinks they are using the Jets visit as leverage to get a deal done
today in Minnesota. Reports are that his agent is out there with him,
which tells me a deal is more likely to get done than not. Backing up
Adrian Peterson is more dignified than backing up Shonn Greene. If
Minny falls thru, I'd welcome here in a heartbeat. I'd like to see
what he can do behind Faneca, mangold and the right side of this line
as opposed to the crappy San Diego line over the past 2 seasons. Plus
he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Greene can not.

MZ

Mar 11, 2010, 4:52:48 PM3/11/10

That's what I was thinking. He might also be able to pick up the blitz
better than Leon, making him a better option as a 3rd down back.

I still like the idea of Lamont Jordan though. He's a poor man's Thomas
Jones these days. Could take over the short yardage role.

Ray O'Hara

Mar 11, 2010, 5:03:45 PM3/11/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

Yeah dump Jones for the washed up LT, please please sign him J.E.S.T.

Johnctx

Mar 11, 2010, 5:36:21 PM3/11/10

I forgot Jordan was in NE. 4 TD's in 8 games...The LT idea is appealing
as a receiver although Washington can catch the ball.

I am not sure what MN wants with LT as Peterson has improved each year
as a receiver although he, unlike LT spits the ball up.

Johnctx

Mar 11, 2010, 5:38:39 PM3/11/10

Never say a bad word about the Pats or BB or you become a pariah up
there forever.

Message has been deleted

Johnny Morongo

Mar 11, 2010, 9:04:10 PM3/11/10
Johnctx wrote:
> HUH?
>
> When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?
>
> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/tomlinson_may_visit_the_ny_jet.html
>

> If veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson leaves Minnesota without a
> contract on Thursday, he's scheduled to visit the Jets on Friday,
> according to an report on ESPN.

<snip>

In the first place, mention the author of the story, dunderhead.
(Dave Hutchinson)
Secondly, what's your take on Tomlinson coming to the Jets?

A running tandem of Green, Washington and Tomlinson (law firm?) sounds
very productive to me. I LIKE the idea, *IF*:
1. Green leaves behind his freshman fumbles and does not prove to be an
injury waiting to happen,
2. Washington heals back to his pre-injury skill set, and if
3. Tomlinson is used wisely and effectively for his diminished skills

Take away any one of the above caveats and the running game is in
trouble. HOWEVER, Jones was not all that he's been cracked up to be.
We tend to forget that he and LT managed the same 3.3 ypc, Jones'
yardage was further enhanced by a few long breakaways. So Jones or no
Jones, the Jets' running gamemight not be as fearsome as was last
years.' Remember, both Faneca and Woody are a year older and getting at
least a step closer to a step slower and a corresponding diminishment in
strength.

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2010, 9:22:23 PM3/11/10

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

what he can do behind Mangold and the right side of this line

as opposed to the crappy San Diego line over the past 2 seasons. Plus

he can catch the ball out of the backfield. GREENE CAN NOT.

Fixed it.

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2010, 9:24:19 PM3/11/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:16:39 -0600, Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>>HUH?
>>
>>When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?
>
> It's complement, son, not complacent ;)

I didn't even try to figure out what he meant......glad you could see it.

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2010, 9:26:27 PM3/11/10

"Johnny Morongo" <j.mir...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote in message

Oh shit...let's get rid of the O line then too...what the Hell, if they
aren't at least second year players they're probably too old. :-)

Harlan Lachman

Mar 11, 2010, 10:06:20 PM3/11/10
In article <k42dnY59XonJOwTW...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Papa, whether we get rid of some of the older OL guys or not, I really
hope we draft a stud G or replacement for Woody with one of our first
two picks. Faneca whiffed a lot last year. Woody is older and grooming
an OT makes sense.

MZ

Mar 11, 2010, 10:47:13 PM3/11/10

They need depth all the way across. Have they resigned Hunter yet?

Still Roper

Mar 11, 2010, 11:20:47 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 4:16 pm, Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
> HUH?
>
> When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?
>
> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/tomlinson_may_visit_the_ny_j...

I love the idea.

Johnctx

Mar 12, 2010, 9:13:30 AM3/12/10
buRford wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:16:39 -0600, Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> HUH?
>>
>> When did the word complacent get linked with Greene?
>
> It's complement, son, not complacent ;)

Now I can''t read.

Johnctx

Mar 12, 2010, 9:28:59 AM3/12/10

I am still reeling from reading complacent instead of complement. I
really shouldn't do this & work at the same time.

RB's are generally toxic after 30. They fall off & fall off hard so if
you always dump them when their contract is up after 30 you would
usually be making the right decision. Having said that we need another RB.

LT 's numbers

http://www.nfl.com/players/ladainiantomlinson/profile?id=TOM683150

Thomas Jones

http://www.nfl.com/players/thomasjones/profile?id=JON755755

Jones got his avg up to 4.2 by the end of the year. His numbers suck
when he touches the ball >20 times a game. So that is another argument
to support changing him out as how do you waste Greene & Washington to
accomplish that.

LT can catch the ball out of the backfield as can Washington which is
something Jones couldn't do or Schott didn't trust him doing it. We
know Schott likes screens so there is a use there. Line up Washington &
LT in the backfield, put Smith in motion, move one or both into the slot
may make up for having only one TE that can catch.

Then again he could suck.

Johnctx

Mar 12, 2010, 9:36:30 AM3/12/10

I have written about this kid before. He has great feet and is probably
a LT so he would give depth at 3 maybe 4 positions. We have been lucky
on the line with injuries. Hell maybe he replaces Hunter as the extra
guard as this kid was a great hoop player and I mean dribbling the ball
at 6'6" to break the press.

http://www.nfl.com/players/danielloper/profile?id=LOP465682

Harlan Lachman

Mar 13, 2010, 8:34:09 AM3/13/10
In article <yOSdnXpvOqib0QfW...@giganews.com>,
Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:

But if you could, you might find the analysis, football outsiders I
think, that shows LT has recently been very, very effective in short
yardage situations.

He actually may be more appropriate for this team than TJ if he can
cover both TJ's main asset, getting short yardage in touch situations
and Leon's ability to break one -- while LT may not be LT anymore, I
suspect he is at least as quick and fast as TJ was last year. He started
quicker and faster.

It looks to me, in contrast to how it looks to Papa, that the team is
trying to fill as many holes as possible with possible solutions:
Cromartie, Poole, LT, et. al.

If they see a player in the draft they want, they can then move without
fear of an unadressed hole. If someone signs Leon to a unreasonable
deal, they can settle for the second round pick.

Am I sure Poole, Cromartie, LT and whoever we draft will be better than
Rhodes, Lito/Strickland, TJ/Leon, and Douglas.

Nope.

But it appears that is the thinking in Floral Park.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Mar 13, 2010, 8:35:08 AM3/13/10
In article <LaSdne1--o3eJATW...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

Tendered equal to a third.

Tutor

Mar 13, 2010, 11:17:12 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 8:34 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article <yOSdnXpvOqib0QfWnZ2dnUVZ_v8AA...@giganews.com>,

>  Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
> > buRford wrote:

> > > It's complement, son, not complacent ;)

> Harlan- Hide quoted text -

Florham Park. Floral Park is in Queens.

papa.carl44

Mar 14, 2010, 3:16:51 AM3/14/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Harlan...don't say I said something I didn't. I made a remarks about TJ...I
had NOTHING to say about any of the other guys you bring up. Learn how to
read. I don't like the TJ deal, and LT sure as hell isn't here yet.
Specifically I said that with TJ gone, if Leon does not return or comes back
and is not able to perform...the Jets screwed themselves with their
slickness...I don't care if you agree with me...but get it right OK?
Reading your spin up above is like listening to some clown from Congress.
:-)