Re: Jets had only 10 men on defense on Hester TD catch.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Dec 26, 2010, 11:29:25 PM12/26/10

"graybeard" <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:3p0gh6595j4jv0f9j...@4ax.com...
> As being reported by Newsday. This crap has gone on too often and too
> long. In my mind it is a persistent coaching problem.
> --
> graybeard

And I would say your mind is correct. That is absolutely inexcusable!

Beiselbub©

Dec 27, 2010, 12:15:48 AM12/27/10
Rex ran out of TOES to count.

MuahMan

Dec 27, 2010, 2:03:23 AM12/27/10
On Dec 26, 10:10 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> As being reported by Newsday. This crap has gone on too often and too
> long. In my mind it is a persistent coaching problem.
> --
> graybeard

Jets are cheaters. Always trying to field 10 players when the rules
clearly call for 11. Tripping and injuring players. Blech. Low class
organization.

yoyodog

Dec 27, 2010, 9:59:56 AM12/27/10

"MuahMan" <mua...@gmail.com> wrote in message

YAWN

Message has been deleted

(¯`·.¸®avNsfan®¸.·´¯)

Dec 27, 2010, 11:55:21 AM12/27/10

"yoyodog" <NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Wake up, assface.

Drew
`·.¸¸.·´¯)®åvÑsfån®(¯`·.¸¸.·´

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 12:52:43 PM12/27/10
On Dec 26, 10:10 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> As being reported by Newsday. This crap has gone on too often and too
> long. In my mind it is a persistent coaching problem.
> --
> graybeard

Sadly, the Jets defense is more poorly managed than the folklore
around the team. It is often in a state of confusion at key moments,
as I have tried to point ut several times here to no avail. Having 10
men on the field in this situation or in the goal line stand a couple
of weeks back is Herman Edwards- bad or even worse... in fact, I don't
remember that issue under Edwards, but it has been a recurring issue
under Rex Ryan. 10 men on the field in a critical situation? It has
happened on multiple oiccasions and is a red flag to us that the
coaching on game day is terribly disorganized on the defensive side
of the ball.

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 12:54:04 PM12/27/10
On Dec 26, 11:29 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "graybeard" <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

it has happened several times this season already. More recently on
a goal line stand. Rex has this defense disorganized on game day.

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 12:55:10 PM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 11:11 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL
>
> Gray has a point. These are problems that shouldn't be happening.
> What assistant is responsible for this as Pettine is in the booth?
>
> --

John... this is on Rex. He manages the defense from top to bottom.
Pettine is his assistant.

Message has been deleted

Beiselbub©

Dec 27, 2010, 2:22:11 PM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 9:11 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gray has a point. These are problems that shouldn't be happening.
> What assistant is responsible for this as Pettine is in the booth?
>
> --

Ummm....Westhoff? Westhoff and Rex.

(Westhoff is busy blaming the Pats; Rex has to take off his wife's
socks to count.)

papa.carl44

Dec 27, 2010, 4:29:55 PM12/27/10

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I have said this before, and had discussions with a few of you
individually...there is NO base defense apparent...nothing to build off of
and when that is the case bad things happen...when every defense is a
"Special" it creates tons of confusion....I worked with a guy once who kept
doing this...not only were the players confused, I was constantly...I had to
take aside key players and figure out what the guy was doing sometimes, then
I'd go back and make sure we had it all covered...sometimes people think
faster than they can communicate and for some reason they think other people
get it....that could be happening...but something is not working for sure.

Harlan Lachman

Dec 29, 2010, 11:15:19 AM12/29/10
In article <A4Gdnbm8dunOmITQ...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Papa, I don't know football like you do. I used to be knowledgable about
hoops. Even guys who mediaots claimed played one D (e.g., bobby knight)
had different defenses every night because they tailored their D to
their opponent (e.g., whether to go over or under screens, how much to
shade off a player, where to provide helpside and when to not do so,
etc.)

One could say man to man was the basic defense but that assertion was
semantics because how one guarded one's man or even if one did was
different each night.

I think the issue is not not having a base D. I think the problem is
likley having a system that is too complicated to be absorbed by all
players and absorbed quickly (especially safeties and LB), inadequate
practice by players in their roles, too many variations and sets to keep
straight, untimely max blitzes by poor blitzing players (esp, Cro, Dig,
Smith, Poole), and a system that has guys like Pace and JT playing
centerfield as opposed to generating a pass rush.

papa.carl44

Dec 29, 2010, 1:03:20 PM12/29/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Good analysis...could be semantics we are talking about....I'm thinking that
when you have a "base" you have some rules that everyone clings to, and you
build out of that and off of it...and in a time of "crisis" you can revert
back to the "base" to readjust...but if each opponent is treated like a
whole new scheme it compounds the confusion. I thought it was very telling
when Rex suggested they would go back to basics, besides doing basic
technique drills I'll bet they are going back to basic allignment assignment
drills and sight recognition stuff. I got to watch a pretty complicated pro
defense work and practice several years back...it was very cool, but they
always began a new adjustment by working off their base...that taught me a
lot seeing that...even experts need to be anchored in something, it's like
having a foundation....I think what you said is absolutely a
possibility....when you don't have a clear foundation you lose it all with
all the little specialties...but even so...with NO real pass rush and they
guys Rex thought could do it only marginal or less...they have problems, big
ones too.

JetsLife

Dec 29, 2010, 2:48:17 PM12/29/10

You have some inaccuracy here - specifically you're first statement.
Making such a sweeping statement ignores facts. Can such a poorly
managed team be 4th and 11th in yards and points allowed,
respectively?

The Jets defense has been excellent in some games, good in a few, and
good enough in still others. Baltimore, Pats game 1, Buffalo,
Minnesota, Denver, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Miami game 2,
Pittsburgh, Cincy: points allowed ranged from 9 - 20. Several 10
pointers in there and a 9 pointer. Not bad. That leaves the clear
clunkers: Pats game 2, Houston 4th quarter meltdown, Chicago. I'll
throw in Miami game 1 since the Fins scored 23, almost 30 and moved
the ball.

No defense is perfect and makes mistakes. I agree the Jets have made
too many, and disorganization issues have cropped up too often. But
let's not cherry pick the bad and ignore the good, and indict the
entire defensive performance this year.

papa.carl44

Dec 29, 2010, 6:24:29 PM12/29/10

"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message

Life...he is only referring to how it is "managed"....not the defense
itself. When you have some of the caliber players on it that they have, it
should be better than average...but the hype around it is way beyond the
reality....that is all he was saying. It is poorly managed, they have had
to call timeouts, had 10 guys on the field and all kinds of other
issues...Rex admitted in his recent comments that they had to go back to
some basic management and skills practice.

Tutor

Dec 29, 2010, 6:51:43 PM12/29/10
> entire defensive performance this year.- Hide quoted text -

You are missing the point. The sloppy play, lack of full effort in
tackling and disorganization in getting the right defensive personnel
on the field for each play is reflective of the entire culture of the
team under Rex. There is little discipline on and off the field. Not
sure if and how Rex can turn this around, but it's not good. Not good
at all. I'm not suggesting he turn himself into a tyrant out there,
but his "players coach" persona, putting him in common with Herm,
Kotite, and Pete Carroll, is not necessarily better for the team.

papa.carl44

Dec 29, 2010, 9:41:42 PM12/29/10

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Tut...some people think tackling comes naturally...and it doesn't....not
even to the best. It is an unnatural skill and needs to be practiced over
and over to be able to do it correctly...of course, guys who have mastered
it do it better and muscle has memory, but if you do not keep practicing the
basics you lose it. You could make a comparison to playing golf, even the
very best keep working on their swing, their putts etc. It's the same
thing. And from what we see and from what Rex seems to have said, they have
been very lax at doing this stuff. That can be understood when they are
always implementing a very complex defense that changes all the time. There
is a limited amount of practice time and some things get let go. The key to
good coaching if finding the right balance in all of that. You nailed it
though....the discipline is an issue.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Dec 30, 2010, 10:43:32 PM12/30/10
In article <wtidnbG2SYNx6obQ...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

And Rex implied that he has a base defense from which all else springs
in his 12/29 press conference. So, you ware right that there needs to be
a base. And I am right that it, or its derivatives may be so complicated
and hard to learn that you don't even see that there is a base.

Ravnsfan²°¹¹®

Dec 30, 2010, 10:42:12 PM12/30/10
"(¯`·.¸®avNsfan®¸.·´¯)" <rustyl...@ravenot.com> wrote in message

Don't tell us your mom dropped her price again... no way she can support
your cowardly sissy ass on 35 cents per dick. You are going to have to go
back to kneeling in the back alleys mini-me wannabe.

papa.carl44

Dec 31, 2010, 12:21:56 AM12/31/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Exactly ! Well said. And when time takes over, the teaching tends to
assume that everyone is still grounded in the base, but you have new guys
coming in due to injuries and stuff just gets lost....I really think Rex saw
it in that presser you are referring to. I once heard a really good coach
say that even with long time pros, you never assume they understand it all,
part of the skill of a good O coach and scheme is to make a team change a
lot of stuff to play you so that being grounded becomes even more
important...we shall see, I sure wish Leonhard was still around though.

Harlan Lachman

Jan 1, 2011, 10:10:15 AM1/1/11
In article <uqCdnVlsio3p9YDQ...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Actually, Papa, I wish Rex would modify his defense so safeties had an
easier time learning it, that one of the taller, faster players on our
team mastered the position so Leonhard became the PR and depth, or they
drafted or signed as a FA a better player who quickly picked up the
position(s) and sat everyone down.

Safety has been a weakness on this team since Jim Hudson got hurt.