ESPNNY (Ciimini)- A closer look at Jets defensive breakdowns

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 5:20:37 PM12/27/10
Let's put Sunday in perspective: The New York Jets allowed more points
(38) to the Chicago Bears than they did in their final four games of
the 2009 regular season. Jay Cutler threw more touchdown passes
(three) in the third quarter than Mark Sanchez in his last 20
quarters.

After reviewing a tape of the Jets' 38-34 loss, here's an in-depth
look at the Bears' five touchdowns and what went wrong:

•Matt Forte, 22-yard run, first quarter -- The Jets, expecting a run,
put eight men in the box. S Brodney Pool was in the box as a
linebacker. They should've had him stopped for little or no gain, but
Pool was blown out of the hole by TE Greg Olsen, DE Vernon Gholston
get off his block, LB David Harris made a diving miss in the hole and
S Dwight Lowery failed to bring Forte down at the 6. Bottom line:
Terrible run defense.

• Jay Cutler, 2-yard run, second quarter -- One week after fooling the
Pittsburgh Steelers on a naked bootleg, the Jets got a taste of their
own medicine. They stacked eight players at the line of scrimmage, but
bit on play-action. Cutler, who hasn't won too many footraces in his
life, rolled right. OLB Bryan Thomas was supposed to have containment,
but he got caught in the trash. A walk-in touchdown for Cutler.

• Johnny Knox, 40-yard catch, third quarter -- One play after the ill-
advised fake punt, the Bears tied the game on this play. The Bears
went to an empty backfield, splitting Olsen wide to the right. CB
Darrelle Revis picked him up, but that's not the matchup the Jets
wanted. It's a waste to have Revis on a tight end. The speedy Knox was
in the right slot, covered by Lowery, who gave an eight-yard cushion.
Knox blew past Lowery.

The Jets rushed four, but couldn't get pressure on Cutler even though
he didn't have any backs or tight ends in protection. Cutler's throw
was actually behind Knox, but Lowery fell in the end zone. There was
no safety help. Where was Pool? The pass hung up long enough for him
to get there, but he didn't.

• Devin Hester, 25-yard catch, third quarter -- This was embarrassing
because the Jets had only 10 players on the field. They rushed five --
Calvin Pace, Shaun Ellis, Jason Taylor, Harris and Pool. They dropped
five into coverage -- Revis, Lowery, Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson
and Drew Coleman. Who was the 11th player? Hard to say. S James
Ihedigbo was injured moments earlier while trying to tackle Hester on
a punt return, so it's possible his absence caused some confusion with
the personnel packages. Maybe Marquice Cole was the 11th, or perhaps
LB Bart Scott. That falls on the coaches; it's their job to get the
right people on the field.

Anyway, this amounted to man-to-man coverage across the board, with no
deep safety. Cutler threw a back-shoulder pass to Hester, who easily
burned Coleman.

• Knox, 26-yard pass, third quarter -- Once again, the Jets got burned
in a blitz. They rushed six, including Lowery and Scott. There was one-
on-one blocking across the board (except for DT Sione Pouha, who was
double teamed), but no one could beat their man and apply pressure to
Cutler. Knox ran a stop-and-go on Cromartie, who did a nice job of not
falling for the move. But Cromartie failed to jam Knox, giving him a
free release. Cutler made a strong throw, seemingly fooling Cromartie
with the velocity, and Knox made a terrific catch.

Michael

Dec 27, 2010, 10:34:07 PM12/27/10

a lot of that could be cured with a real pass rusher. the jets do not
have a single pass rusher that needs to be double teamed or is very
good at getting off blocks quickly. blown coverage or mistakes in the
secondary dont show up so much if you have a real pass rush.

RickyBobby

Dec 28, 2010, 1:08:03 AM12/28/10

"Tutor" wrote in message

It is always funny to see an NFL team with about seventeen coaches on the
sidelines line up some number of players other than eleven.

RickyBobby

Dec 28, 2010, 1:10:49 AM12/28/10

"Michael" wrote in message

There are a lot of teams which have given up a lot less points than the Jets
through fourteen or fifteen games. I do not understand why the Jets are
considered to have a strong defense. I think the Jets defense is weak as
evidenced by getting lit up by the Bears.

Michael

Dec 28, 2010, 11:59:18 AM12/28/10
> evidenced by getting lit up by the Bears.- Hide quoted text -

i agree.... the jets defense is just not that good. i think it is a
manpower issue. lots of us thought with cromartie, the jets d would
be monsterous. ideal for the pressure-press that rex likes. pace,
ellis and BLT have not been productive in the pressure part of the
game. they are also in trouble without leonhard and poor coverage
range in general by their current safeties. at least pool has been a
lot better the past few games.

cd

Dec 28, 2010, 6:24:10 PM12/28/10
> lot better the past few games.- Hide quoted text -

Clearly Lowery doesn't have the speed for a corner, but I've noticed
that when the play is in front, he has very good instincts and breaks
well to the ball. I think they should consider him more in a free
safety role; he has come up with a number of timely interceptions.
Everytime I hear he is in the game, I'm looking for him to get a
pick. Don't think he gets that many chances, else his numbers would
be better. I think the Jets are missing Rhodes and his athleticism in
covering TE's, heard that and it makes total sense.

papa.carl44

Dec 28, 2010, 11:14:19 PM12/28/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Essentially what other teams have done is to attack the weakness of the Jets
D...NOT the stregnth which is Revis and Cromartie....they played the inside
game and did it really well....they exposed the fact that with a very weak D
line the LB's are the only hope for a pass rush without bringing the
safeties.....so everything inside and underneath is open...plus...they are
not that good against the run when they are outguessed....Rex designed a
defense for a particular type of game...and BB for one, got rid of that
game...don't you think that had a role in getting rid of Moss? Where things
seem to be going now is perhaps the end of the marvelous shut down corners
deal...so maybe Revis saw this all coming and wanted to get his big piece of
pie while he still could?????