Harlan Lachman

Jun 9, 2010, 6:27:06 PM6/9/10
In article <33fv06hj2guh0873p...@4ax.com>,
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:09:32 -0700 (PDT) John C TX
> <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Since this is an uncapped year because the collective bargaining agreement
> >> has expired,
> >> Revis could jeopardize the $20 million owed for the final two years of his
> >> deal should he
> >> hold out during minicamp or training camp. So, the Jets do have some
> >> leverage in this
> >> situation.
> >
> >All in line with what Tutor posted yesterday.
> >
> >My question is if he hold out is he still under contract at a lower
> >amount?
> >
> >Thanks buRf
>
> My understanding is that Revis is under contract this year for $1
> million. If he holds out he can be fined against that salary. His
> contract expires at the end of the year unless the Jets buy back their
> option for 2 more years, and that would cost them a guaranteed $20
> million.

There is a performance clause in there that could lower the two year
salary by $5 or $6 mil but somehow I find it hard to believe that
whatever it was Revis has not met it.

Frankly, I don't mind paying Revis for three years and losing him for a
third round pick or even franchising him for one year and getting
nothing. The odds that he will be as dominating in five years are
miniscule. Look at other CB stars over time -- even Deion who in my mind
was the best. To be that good then, Revis will have to perform at the
highest level for five years. That is asking a lot.

He signed the deal he did. At the time, he thought it was fair.

And, in the last two years he will make about what the top 5 CBs in the
league make.

I am tired of complainers and the useless greed of pro athletes. After
so many millions, the only way one would have to work again would be to
be completly profligate or blow it on drugs or high priced hookers.

harlan

MZ

Jun 9, 2010, 6:41:32 PM6/9/10

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Harlan. Look no further than
Woodson. Champ Bailey, Ty Law, and many of the other top tier corners
were still productive into their 30s. Asomugha's played 7 seasons.
Aaron Glenn played with the Jets for, what, 8 years?

> He signed the deal he did. At the time, he thought it was fair.
>
> And, in the last two years he will make about what the top 5 CBs in the
> league make.
>
> I am tired of complainers and the useless greed of pro athletes. After
> so many millions, the only way one would have to work again would be to
> be completly profligate or blow it on drugs or high priced hookers.

With you on this one. My wishlist for the next CBA includes stricter
penalties for holdouts. I'd like to see them required to show up for 16
games to accrue a season.