Oh, ye of little faith ...

Percy Flage

Sep 11, 2011, 11:44:17 PM9/11/11

... phew!

Great come from behind win. Of course, we shouldn't have been that far
behind, but well played all round, O, D, ST and Crowd!

Great win.

--
Percy Flage
"Life is too short to have to explain everyday."

Papa Carl

Sep 11, 2011, 11:48:09 PM9/11/11

"Percy Flage" <percy.flage_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote in message
They took way to long to adjust to the Dallas D scheme...spread it
out...make them cover, So now I'll blame Moore for not consulting quick
enough on that.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 12, 2011, 12:47:33 PM9/12/11
In article <1Y-dnekeqbxkHfDT...@giganews.com>,
Frankly, I was so upset, I turned off the game.

How can a knowledgable Jet fan think this was a great win? We played a
team with a very inexperienced OL and weak CB due to injury.

Yet, for most of the game, our experienced OL could not sustain a
running game or great protection, our CB got beaten for too many long
plays (and had balls taken away from them), their offense scored too
many points, our WR had hard times getting separation, and in spite of
having almost all of six months to get ready, our team looked like the
one unprepared.

Counting on blocked punts and mistakes by opposing QB's is not a scheme
to get a team to the post season.

Shott should be fired. The OL has to be fixed. Shonn has to be in there
and and they cannot go away from the run after he gains 5 yards. They
cannot afford pass plays for little or no gain.

Yuck!!!

Harlna

Johnny Morongo

Sep 12, 2011, 1:36:04 PM9/12/11
HARLNA, huh? You are really loosing it, old man! I'll beg to differ
with you. It was a great WIN, if not a great game.

Papa Carl

Sep 12, 2011, 4:31:29 PM9/12/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
I'll go with the SOJ's would not have won that game...never.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 12, 2011, 11:28:58 PM9/12/11
In article <YL-dnSu-4bK88fPT...@giganews.com>,
But the Jets will not win a SB with a performance like that most weeks.
Brady and Company showed tonight how Champions are supposed to play with
a season to prepare against a weaker team.

Jets v. Dallas might be a great win. But it was not football to inspire
fans.

harlan

Grinch

Sep 13, 2011, 12:53:41 AM9/13/11
On Monday, September 12, 2011 11:28:58 PM UTC-4, Harlan Lachman wrote:
> In article <YL-dnSu-4bK88fPT...@giganews.com>,
> "Papa Carl"
> wrote:
>
> > "Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message

Well, their offense did.

Chad Henne had 475 yards against their defense. Chad Henne.
Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Sep 13, 2011, 6:51:26 PM9/13/11

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
But maybe you can make a good argument that this is what football is
becoming. The rules are changed to make this stuff happen, and it is where
the PR selling of the league wants it to go perhaps...not much defense but
always enough offense to win it. If you keep scoring at will the toughness
of the D almost becomes irrelevant.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 13, 2011, 11:28:54 PM9/13/11

And by the way, it seems to me that there was significantly more contact
between the DBs and WRs than is usually allowed, not that I mind. Revis
and Cro were in hand to hand combat all night. Plax was interfered with
at least once and there was an absolute dearth of flags. What gives?
VERY unusual to go the whole game with not one PI on either side.

Grinch

Sep 13, 2011, 11:30:10 PM9/13/11
On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:51:26 PM UTC-4, Papa Carl wrote:
> "Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > On Monday, September 12, 2011 11:28:58 PM UTC-4, Harlan Lachman wrote:
> >> In article <YL-dnSu-4...@giganews.com>,

Why not for us?! :-)

> The rules are changed to make this stuff happen, and it is where
> the PR selling of the league wants it to go perhaps...not much defense but
> always enough offense to win it. If you keep scoring at will the toughness
> of the D almost becomes irrelevant.

The rule changes have sure opened the passing game at the cost of the "boring" running game, to the joy of the ESPN highlights people, but they haven't increased scoring much ... yet.

Today D still matters. Here's what I liked about Rex's Jets D even during an unimpressive performance when they gave up a lot of stuff...

4th Q, down 7, in a game they've been losing almost all the way, time running down, Romo hits the big 60-yard bomb against them to an open Witten. The SOJ's D lets him run it in for a 14-pt lead, game over. Who'd blame the D for that? Nobody.

Oh, the D would be blamed plenty for letting Witten get open and catch a 60-yarder to lock the game. But for not running him down? I doubt it. You don't expect and NFLer who's way ahead of the field to get run down from behind, and by the time he got to the 2 the game was effectively over anyhow, so why run him down? Or blame anyone for not doing it.

But Rex's D ran him down on the 2. The game should still be over -- the Boys *should* get a TD from there, and if they don't they certainly should get a FG which probably would lock it -- but they *screwed up* and got nothing.

Yes, Romo screwing up so horribly then and on that last pick was largely luck for the Jets -- but by being relentless on D even after *they* had screwed up the Jets gave themselves the chance to be lucky. Those last 2 yards made a *huge* difference. Winning a couple games a year by being relentless in a way that sets up good fortune, even when you should already be dead, makes a big difference in the final standings and playoff seedings.

IMHO, that's the difference between SOJ and not. Top teams play one-sided wins they have no chance of losing, plus close games they have at least a shot at winning. They don't play one-sided losses. They do have screw-ups and bad days just like everybody else -- but their combination of talent and always playing hard down to the last 2-yards keeps them close even when not playing well. And if a team plays only one-sided wins and games it can win, it figures to do dang well and be a contender all the way through.

Winning when playing poorly is something only *good* teams can do, that's why I feel encouraged by the Boyz outcome instead of upset about the team not playing better.

I looked up 72 Fins' 17-0 record today. Against opponents who had little better than a 40% W-L record (only 37% during the regular season, yuck!) they had six one-score wins including a 1-pt win over a 4-9-1 Bills team, 2-pointer over the 7-7 Vikes, 4-pointer over the Jets, etc. They did *not* always play well ... but they did OK.

To win 6-of-6 one-score games takes a good bit of luck. But to *never* be behind so you can't win with luck *ain't* luck. Add the two together: greatest team in history!

So as long as the Jets are playing to that formula, winning or having the chance to win, they'll be "SOJ -- not!", and I'll be happy.