Maybe too obvious to notice?

1 view

Señor Patriots

Oct 17, 2011, 8:06:17 PM10/17/11
Maybe it's too obvious to notice that a QB (Alex Smith) whom the
consensus picked to be a bust years ago has suddenly become a model
citizen in a new system with a HC with whom he has developed
chemistry. I think the story is quite interesting because it makes me
wonder how many Alex Smiths we've seen over the years who failed
because they never got the right support.

Contrary to popular belief a good QB cannot carry a team on his
shoulders. The team has to provide support for the QB and then he can
act like he's carrying the team. But nobody is going to overcome a
bad HC (Singletary, et al) and perhaps a bad OC or bad OL.

Yes, no?

I find it interesting that a supposed bust is now at the helm of
perhaps the best team in the NFC. It sort of flies in the face of
football 101. I think the lesson is that a QB with a particular style
needs a HC/OC with a matching style or a complimentary style. They all
have to work as a unit and the success of one cannot be separated from
the success of the others. To me that's what is pathetic about people
who rate QBs according to their rings. So Brady has three and he must
be lesser than Montana because Montana had four, and he must be better
than Marino because Marino had none? I don't think it works that way
at all. There's a much bigger picture there.

Anyway, not to belabor the point but I think that there is a reason
why there are threads of discussion on the great QB-HC tandems in NFL
history. I think maybe it's a good idea to not separate them from one
another so quickly.

Ray O'Hara

Oct 17, 2011, 8:31:44 PM10/17/11

"Señor Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Contrary to popular belief a good QB cannot carry a team on his
> shoulders. The team has to provide support for the QB and then he can
> act like he's carrying the team. But nobody is going to overcome a
> bad HC (Singletary, et al) and perhaps a bad OC or bad OL.
>
> Yes, no?

Peyton Manning shows a QB can carry a team.
the Same Dolts team which has been a treat to win it all now can't win
without Manning..
he clearly was that whole team.

Percy Flage

Oct 17, 2011, 11:54:33 PM10/17/11
... and in the process they'll probably Luck out on finding a franchise
replacement.

--
Percy Flage
"Life is too short to have to explain everyday."

Señor Patriots

Oct 18, 2011, 2:36:41 AM10/18/11
On Oct 17, 7:31 pm, "Ray O'Hara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Señor Patriots" <roamin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
You cannot be serious. This is a team sport. There is no such thing
as a QB carrying the team. The QB can rise above the rest with his
level but he'll always need the team support. They have had an
outstanding OL and receivers for how many centuries? I'd like to see
how far he'd have carried them without that OL.

The guy is a QB, not Superman. He's smart but he's not Einsshteen.

JohnC(TX)

Oct 18, 2011, 9:27:46 AM10/18/11

"Señor Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I think it is largely the QB that drives it. I think a good (great) OC can
make an average QB serviceable on the right team.

A great QB (Brady, Manning, etc.) can make a coaches career.

Tutor

Oct 18, 2011, 12:09:37 PM10/18/11
On Oct 18, 8:27 am, "JohnC\(TX\)" <johnctxjetss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Señor Patriots" <roamin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A great QB (Brady, Manning, etc.) can make a coaches career.- Hide quoted text -

so true.

RävNsfän ®

Oct 18, 2011, 11:52:46 PM10/18/11

You cannot be serious. This is a team sport. There is no such thing
as a QB carrying the team.

Classic "Ricky Bobby speak". The very same lame opinionated BS you belched
out last season in the Indy Colts forum.
--
~Drew
"Talk is cheap ...lets just play"

Harlan Lachman

Oct 19, 2011, 12:25:59 AM10/19/11
In article
<94bc3f91-8dc1-45fb...@f16g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Everyone is entitled to have a incorrect opinion. The facts prove the
point that a QB can and has carried a whole team. While Peyton, being he
best Qb in the game, is the best example, there are others of a team
losing a Qb and falling completely apart. We had such a Qb and team a
thousand years ago.

harlan