Insanity: Jets, OT

JetsLife

Sep 28, 2011, 9:44:16 PM9/28/11
I was talking with my wife the other day about "radicalism," radical
politics.

And I realized: so if turning away from your conscience and acting on
it is "radical" - that means doing otherwise is "normal"?

Point being: I think that most folks myself included who act normal,
follow rules, pay taxes, etc etc - in fact we're the radicals. We
allow our youth to go off and fight in foreign lands far away from
their loved ones - and for what?

Is that normal? To me *that* is radical, abnormal, utterly nuts. And
at that - the way we go about our lives pretending people aren't being
semi slave-waged worked to death for our comfort conveniences?

So who is "radical," really? What is normal? The prevailing culture,
slotting oneself in to it and pretending nothing's wrong with doing
so?

As for the Jets: two points.

- When I dare mention that desire, the outfit that wants it the most
being critical to victory:

Thus far unless I've missed some posts most responses have largely
been: 'desire doesn't matter' etc.

Which couldn't be furthest from historical truth. It's an axiom as old
as time: you only get what you really want.

The examples in sports/general history are as numbered as the days:
'85 Bears - yes great talent but that defense was infused with fire.
Same thing '00 Ravens.

Do you think the Steelers didn't come out more fiery, desirous revved-
up than the Jets beginning the AFC Championship? Or the Raiders
offense last week from whistle to whistle?

All of these winners - coaches and players alike - wanted it more than
the other side.

Yet seemingly at the first mention of desire being a key part to
victory for the Jets or any outfit - people say talent this, something
that.

Historical perspective: as anyone knows Nazi Germany had the will to
fight - England & France didn't, Hitler knew they were weak. Germany
was hungry for some payback.

Pearl Harbor, 9/11 attacks: those folks had a burning desire - as
wrong as they were - to do it. And they ignited wars.

And on and on through history. Desire and aggression force results
sometimes victorious. The opposite: weakness invites attack, and never
wins.

I feel Rex knows as much.

- Why is it some folks in here start going, well, semi insane three
games in to the campaign?

That's why I say "O Ye of Little Faith."

Every NFL campaign is a week-to-week event. All of us would've
preferred to be 3-0 waltzing in to Baltimore.

To me be we 0-3, 1-2, 2-1, 3-0: these are the regular-season games you
live for. It's a chance at payback for those fuckers beating us at
home last year.

Papa Carl

Sep 29, 2011, 12:11:53 AM9/29/11

"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message
Take a break...seriously...you think about this crap way too much. It's a
game...just a game.

Michael

Sep 29, 2011, 1:21:40 PM9/29/11
On Sep 29, 12:11 am, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "JetsLife" <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote in message
> game...just a game.- Hide quoted text -

yes, but it is usually more fun to think about than other things :-)

Papa Carl

Sep 29, 2011, 2:34:38 PM9/29/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
OH...I quite agree...I admit my error on that one...but don't obsess about a
team you can't control...watch it, criticize it, praise it...but we don't
play the game and honestly, today, they don't play it for us either....it's
all about the money. I'll give you they play for themselves as a team but I
don't really think they worry too much about what any of us think. Could be
wrong...

oldn...@mindspring.com

Sep 30, 2011, 3:42:14 AM9/30/11
I don't believe that for a minute.

> Yet seemingly at the first mention of desire being a key part to
> victory for the Jets or any outfit - people say talent this, something
> that.
>
> Historical perspective: as anyone knows Nazi Germany had the will to
> fight - England & France didn't, Hitler knew they were weak. Germany
> was hungry for some payback.
>
> Pearl Harbor, 9/11 attacks: those folks had a burning desire - as
> wrong as they were - to do it. And they ignited wars.

Desire only goes so far.

Yeah, the Japanese were full of desire and will to fight at Pearl Harbor.

Do you think they were any less full of them at Midway? And at every other defeat they took all the way back until US battleships sailed into Tokyo Bay?

There is no doubt about it, in a *real* war, not pretend war like football, the Japanese fought with FAR MORE desire than US troops did all the way through. Americans have never made suicides stands to the very last man, one after another, again and again, like the Japanes did -- all the way backward to utter defeat.

American troops never once did *anything* like pull out their bayonets and swords and suicide charge straight into barbed wire and machine guns screaming "For FDR!!! Banzai!!". Or fly suicide planes into enemy ships. Yet they wound up surrendering prostrate before us in Tokyo Bay.

So exactly what did all that extra desire and will to fight get the Japanese?

How did they get so destroyed by an enemy that fought far less furiously?

Simple: They were stupid enough to let their desire lead them into attacking an enemy that was literally 20 times bigger than them -- that could materially crush them pretty much as a sideline while directing three-quarters of its war effort to Europe and also sending enough supplies for a major war to Russia.

If the Japanese hadn't let their great desire and will to fight overcome their brains, they wouldn't have gotten NUKED. Twice.

And the Germans, oh, yeah, they had great desire for payback too!

And if they hadn't let it overcome their brains, they wouldn't have ended up with their entire country in rubble -- and half of it occupied by their mortal enemy Russian Communists for 45 years.

Yes, the Germans had far more desire for victory and will to fight than anyone else in Europe, certainly in 1940 that was true. But all that extra desire couldn't get them across that little strip of water to attack their enemy -- because they didn't have a navy and their enemy did.

Which meant .... they picked an enemy they couldn't beat, no matter what its deficiency in desire to fight. Oooops. That's called *bad game planning*. A little while later, Berlin is being divvied up four way by its "desire deficient" enemies. Well, deficient game planning trumps superior desire right there.

Maybe there's a lesson in these examples of history: When your desire becomes so great that it blocks your brain from working, your desire starts making you act *stupid*, you are going *to lose*. It's better to keep your brain controlling your desires.

So, desire can get you into a fight, sure -- but does it make you win? Think again.

Napoleon said: "God is on the side of the big battalions".

And so it is in football.

> And on and on through history. Desire and aggression force results
> sometimes victorious. The opposite: weakness invites attack, and never
> wins.

Dude, you are confusing "desire" with "strength" and "lack of desire" with "weakness".

That is a BIG MISTAKE, as the Japanese, Germans, and a whole lot of others have found out via very painful lessons.

Strength wins, weakness loses -- that is *true*.

But desire and weakness often travel hand in hand. Bear Bryant said: "Nobody wants to win more than a loser".

Being weak and so desiring to win that you can taste it doesn't make you strong.

Being strong and taking it for granted doesn't make you weak.

Combining desire and agression against the stronger winds up with you having a foot pressing down on your throat. Ask Tojo and Adolf about that.

> - Why is it some folks in here start going, well, semi insane three
> games in to the campaign?
>
> That's why I say "O Ye of Little Faith."
>
> Every NFL campaign is a week-to-week event. All of us would've
> preferred to be 3-0 waltzing in to Baltimore.
>
> To me be we 0-3, 1-2, 2-1, 3-0: these are the regular-season games you
> live for. It's a chance at payback for those fuckers beating us at
> home last year.

Now these four thoughts I agree with entirely.

(Though what they have with to do with all the "desire and aggression" stuff I don't know).

Johnny Morongo

Sep 30, 2011, 12:24:05 PM9/30/11
Nice riff,G, most of it anyway. But by any name you still are an
oldnastyfuk.

RävNsfän ®

Sep 30, 2011, 5:37:32 PM9/30/11
"Papa Carl" <papa...@verizon.net> wrote in message
:
: "Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message
...and if you are wrong I will never consider an oceanic cruise for fear of
falling off the face of the cube.
--
~Drew

"Talk is cheap ...lets just go play"