Re: Clinton Portis weighs in on female reporters in the locker room.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Sep 14, 2010, 4:54:18 PM9/14/10
On Sep 14, 4:45 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> From DC Sports Bog:
>
> <quote>
>
> Which brings us to Tuesday morning, and Clinton Portis's 10:30 a.m.
> debut on The Mike Wise Show, in this case hosted by Holden Kushner and
> Brian Mitchell. The whole thing was great, but eventually, the topic of
> Ines Sainz -- the reporter whose treatment in the Jets locker room has
> become a national story  -- was raised. Portis, to be fair, wasn't
> familiar with the case, so he was offered a quick summary. Now, Mike
> Shanahan would have said something about one game at a time. Donovan
> McNabb's answer would have been league-approved. Here's what Portis
> said.
>
>     "You know man, I think you put women reporters in the locker room in
> positions to see guys walking around naked, and you sit in the locker
> room with 53 guys, and all of the sudden you see a nice woman in the
> locker room, I think men are gonna tend to turn and look and want to say
> something to that woman. For the woman, I think they make it so much
> that you can't interact and you can't be involved with athletes, you
> can't talk to these guys, you can't interact with these guys.
>
>     "And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53
> athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to
> spark her interest, or she's gonna want somebody. I don't know what kind
> of woman won't, if you get to go and look at 53 men's packages. And
> you're just sitting here, saying 'Oh, none of this is attractive to me.'
> I know you're doing a job, but at the same time, the same way I'm gonna
> cut my eye if I see somebody worth talking to, I'm sure they do the same
> thing."
>
> </quote>
>
> Words fail me.
> --
> graybeard

"I don't know what kind of woman won't, if you get to go and look at
53 men's packages"

i just pissed my pants

John C TX

Sep 15, 2010, 10:06:35 AM9/15/10

Hey he was the first one & speak up for Michael Vick.

I am not a member of the bar but this is entrapment. (g rated)

http://tinyurl.com/2dynawt

papa.carl44

Sep 15, 2010, 10:25:27 AM9/15/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/2dynawt

The "bar" ? I'll be she is...one with a pole on the stage too.

John C TX

Sep 15, 2010, 12:20:34 PM9/15/10

> I am not a member of the bar but this is entrapment. (g rated)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2dynawt
>
> The "bar" ?  I'll be she is...one with a pole on the stage too.

LOL

Michael

Sep 15, 2010, 1:44:51 PM9/15/10

the more i think about it, the more i think it is a very bad idea to
have women reporters in football locker rooms. of course the league
and owners WANT all coaches and players to act in a respectful and
professional manner at all times. they also expect that the reporters
are going to be serious professionals. they make a big mistake when
they replace the word WANT with EXPECT. no matter how hard they try
to to pass the word down the chain as far as decorum goes, there is no
way in creation that NFL policy is going to completely rid the world
of bone heads and tarts. idiots and tarts are going to be with us
always... like bad weather. the risk of a HUGE media embarrassment is
just too great. not a question of IF a woman reporter is going to get
upset and sound off when a hard-on stares at her dirty pillows a bit
too long for her liking... just a matter of when the next idiot is
gonna pop a rod over the next tart posing as a journalist

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Sep 15, 2010, 2:08:14 PM9/15/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

LOL

I am NOT saying that I ever frequented those kinds of places...but she sure
does look like someone who might work in one of those "Bada Bing" type
places in that picture.

IYM

Sep 15, 2010, 3:21:00 PM9/15/10
Michael wrote:
> On Sep 15, 12:20 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am not a member of the bar but this is entrapment. (g rated)
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2dynawt
>>> The "bar" ? I'll be she is...one with a pole on the stage too.
>> LOL
>
> the more i think about it, the more i think it is a very bad idea to
> have women reporters in football locker rooms.

Of course it is! But that wasn't up to the teams, coaches, management,
fans or anyone else. That was left up to the courts in the '70s when
female reporters filed a discrimination suit that they were at a
competitive disadvantage when a male reporter could access a player in
the locker room directly after a game, and they couldn't. The court
ruled in their favor in saying either everyone has access OR none do. I
don't see why teams just didn't/don't choose to just eliminate the
locker room access for everyone. I mean, why not let the guys take a
damn shower, get cleaned up, and change - then meet the press? I'm sure
players would appreciate the privacy and freedom (particularly those who
may have had a bad game and need to get their heads on straight before
saying something they might regret.) Nothing like feeling pissed, just
getting out of the shower, trying to get dressed and you have some jerk
(or bitch) with a mic shoved in your face, acting somber, saying "boy,
you really sucked today, how do you feel?"

Out of curiosity, are male reporters allowed free access and reign to a
all womans teams locker room (like the old NY liberty basketball team,
or US womans soccer match) after a game? If so, I'd have trouble
believing any guy could stand there looking her directly in the eye
asking her questions...actually, in he case of woman's basketball, most
male reporters would have their face in the players tits! lol

John C TX

Sep 15, 2010, 4:33:44 PM9/15/10

> > The "bar" ? I'll be she is...one with a pole on the stage too.
>
> LOL
>
> I am NOT saying that I ever frequented those kinds of places...but she sure
> does look like someone who might work in one of those "Bada Bing" type
> places in that picture.

No you just wrote it!

:)

John C TX

Sep 15, 2010, 4:36:16 PM9/15/10

What is most comical is that she didn't even file the complaint. I
wonder if she filed the complaint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9shOfWkMY

papa.carl44

Sep 15, 2010, 6:26:10 PM9/15/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

In principle, the idea sounds like it should work. You have professional,
college educated players and a professional, literate journalist and we
would think they could somehow find a way to keep it all under control.
But, this is the real world. The woman in question does not dress in attire
that would be considered "business appropriate" in any major corporation.
Then, she wants to take her "act" into a room with a lot of naked men who
have just finished playing a brutal contact sport and are pumped with
adrenaline and testorsterone. I don't think I need to go further. It's a
bad idea if the "players" on both sides don't color inside the lines.

papa.carl44

Sep 15, 2010, 6:31:34 PM9/15/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

IF...IF....any player sees Inez walk into their locker room dressed the way
she does and they don't react with the "cat calls" and such....maybe that's
why they don't play so well on the field, they are suffering from "Low T"

papa.carl44

Sep 15, 2010, 6:33:24 PM9/15/10

"graybeard" <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I have to wonder what the players' wives and girlfriends think about
> females, especially attractive ones, being in the locker room.
> --
> graybeard

Here is the key to it all....do male reporters get to go into the locker
rooms of women sports teams? Do male reporters get to go stare at women in
the shower? Why hasn't this issue been addressed?

IYM

Sep 16, 2010, 7:45:30 AM9/16/10

I asked this in earlier in this thread and personally to people, and I
got this answer: The woman's teams have chosen the other court option
and bar ALL reporters, regardless of gender, from the locker room. The
ratio of male to female reporters (female sport reporters are still very
much the rarer) is so great, that no one makes a big deal about it.
Now, where it would make the news is if it was a 20:2 ratio at a US
womans World Cup event (20 guys/2 women reporters) and those 2 woman
were granted access to the locker room, thereby "out-scooping" the 20
guys standing outside? I wish this would happen, as it would bring this
whole thing to a head and probably eliminate the locker room
interview/access in all sports. Th problem is though, the male
reporters DON'T want to give up this access. They want to be able to
catch the players in a high emotional euphoric state after they win the
super bowl, and not after an hour and things have calmed down, or catch
a player off guard after a shitty game, hoping he says something
newsworthy they can write a couple pieces on. So they are willing not
to rock the boat. Mens sports - All access, womans sports - No one
accesses. This has been accepted as status quo as interest in womans
sports although gaining, is far, far, behind men's sports.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 16, 2010, 8:37:21 AM9/16/10
In article <i6svko$jts$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

Thanks for this information. Did not know.

I wonder if sports reporting would be more research based, factual, and
sports journalists would have to research their stories, if this access
was denied everyone in football?

Harlan

Message has been deleted

IYM

Sep 16, 2010, 11:06:37 AM9/16/10
buRford wrote:
> Actually, you're not correct... check this out: http://bit.ly/ckDKRb

Well - was going on what I was told, so I guess some allow it. It is a
team by team choice... But it still has to be a all or none access....

papa.carl44

Sep 16, 2010, 12:03:48 PM9/16/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Very good point, and I think it would make a difference.