Jets shopping list

1 view

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 12:44:26 PM10/10/11
MUST HAVE

(In this order of priority)

1. A new OC
2. Right Tackle
3. A Bona Fied NT
4. A safety with range that is able to cover
5. An OLB that is big enough to play 3 downs but can also pass rush.
6. A punter than can net more than 15 yards

SHOULD HAVE

1. A better ball carrier
2. A speedy wr that can work routs past ten yards

Not too many teams trade away good offensive tackles or safties, so I
assume the Jets will be drafting one of those two positions with their
first pick next year depending on what is available. They can
probably get a good RB in round 3 or 4.

Any way you slice it, the Jets have a lot of needs. The dont have that
much talent. Given the past few drafts, they may want to look for a
new GM too.

Papa Carl

Oct 10, 2011, 2:04:45 PM10/10/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Michael....agree, all your points are good ones. One area I would sort of
disagree on is what a lot of people expect of a safety. Right now, what
looks like lack of range and no coverage is being caused by bad play up
front. LB's are letting a TE off the ball too easily and there is NO
interior pass rush without some kind of game on...when you see a D lineman
pressuring the QB it is not because they made the play, it is part of the
scheme and is giving up something else. IF, IF...they had a serious down
lineman threat, a guy that forced double teams they would not have as many
of these problems because a LB could be in the shallow seam and the safety
could be a real safety. They way they are running it now forces the
safeties to play run...and really look at what is going on upfront. If the
O line sells a run block and there is any kind of fake or play action they
are screwed...they are alligned so far back they HAVE to commit to that run
fake...the scheme is to cover the inadequacies they have never addressed.
And for what it's worth, the gamble with Jenkins proved they don't seem to
think it is that big of a deal.

On the other hand...BB is ahead of the curve all the time...and he figured
out if you build a superior offense today you can get by with a half assed
defense talent wise...it is not the same league anymore...but I doubt he
would do that without the power he has on offense.

I think they definitely want a new GM....some really bad decisions have been
made. All that "want to come play for Rex" stuff will fade in a hurry now
too.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 2:12:28 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 2:04 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> too.- Hide quoted text -

makes sense... chris jenkins (one guy) made the jets defense a whole
different affair when he was in the game.

above all the need TOP QUALITY guys for their O-line... like we were
talking before... a great line makes average skill position players
look like pro-bowlers... in this day and age, 1/3 of your team is the
offensive line.

MZ

Oct 10, 2011, 2:56:29 PM10/10/11

I thought the OL was mostly good yesterday. It's probably a big deal
when you get your center back, even for teams that don't have
Mangold. Depth has always been an issue with that group, so I think
they'd be doing themselves a favor to pick up a tackle in the
offseason and do a better job in the middle and end of the draft.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 3:30:16 PM10/10/11
> offseason and do a better job in the middle and end of the draft.- Hide quoted text -

could be... as far as the depth goes, two things cost them. ducasse
cant play football and turner got hurt. baxter appears to be a fiar
back-up center and turner should be back from his injury in good shape
next year. i still think they really need an elite RT. I have no
objections to drafting one if avaliable. they also need an elite d-
line guy that can penetrate and disrupt things. wilkerson is looking
like he can take up space, but not impact a game.

MuahMan

Oct 10, 2011, 3:33:26 PM10/10/11

Top of your list should be a QB.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 3:43:21 PM10/10/11
> Top of your list should be a QB.- Hide quoted text -

a bunch of jet fans think he's the bottle neck. i tend to think he can
be a good qb once he's under a real oc. i'd agree with you if sanchez
never put together more than one good game, but he has been very good
in all of their playoff games. a fluke only happens once... not six
times. the real problem is the oc

Tutor

Oct 10, 2011, 3:48:16 PM10/10/11
> times.  the real problem is the oc- Hide quoted text -

tend to agree with you Michael, however, Sanchez still does not scan
the entire field and still locks on. He has shown little change with
respect to this (not to mention throwing the ball away when
appropriate). Still, I'd like to see what he could do with a sensible
system and game plan. Any strengths he has are masked by Schitty. He
has performed his best in no-huddle situations when he was allowed to
improvise.

OC is top concern along with the other 6 on your list.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 3:52:24 PM10/10/11
> OC is top concern along with the other 6 on your list.- Hide quoted text -

i think he does good in the no huddle because he's got set plays. it
is actually a more simple offense to run. less thinking and more
playing. his arm and legs are never the problem. his football qb
brains dont work fast enough. perhaps he has bad teachers, or may be
he's a cement head.

CaptMyng

Oct 10, 2011, 3:57:14 PM10/10/11

Please tell me you never spawned.

MZ

Oct 10, 2011, 3:57:45 PM10/10/11

Sanchez, with regard to this thread, is irrelevant. They can't
replace him at this point. First, he's shown too much promise. And
second, he'd be too expensive to cut, I believe. So they can't go
shopping for a replacement unless they strike gold and find a late
round guy who pushes him.

The Jets, for better or for worse, need to build around him for at
least the next two years (or whatever he's signed to).

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 4:04:55 PM10/10/11
> Please tell me you never spawned.- Hide quoted text -

huh ??? that was a reasonable post...

CaptMyng

Oct 10, 2011, 4:13:52 PM10/10/11

My apologies, that was meant for Pratt.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 4:17:09 PM10/10/11
> least the next two years (or whatever he's signed to).- Hide quoted text -

dont forget... if rex pulls him, sanchez will of course want to duke
it up with his coach.

the all encompassing factor has to be who is going to be the OC next
year. that shadows all else. i cant imagine woody j. has no idea
what fans are saying... even if he is pals with daddy shotty, would he
risk fans cancelling psl's and season tickets ??? i think it will come
to that. callers to the local talk radio shows are on the edge over
schotty.

Michael

Oct 10, 2011, 4:41:23 PM10/10/11
> My apologies, that was meant for Pratt.- Hide quoted text -

lolz... yes... i know... it was reasonable for him to suggest the jets
still dont have the right qb. other fans think so also...

MuahMan

Oct 10, 2011, 6:00:00 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 3:57 pm, CaptMyng <dfu...@gmail.com> wrote:

You're my son. I used to be a milk man in your parents neighborhood.

Papa Carl

Oct 10, 2011, 7:22:03 PM10/10/11

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The only way he can scan the whole field is with a parascope from his
back....way too much pressure on a regular basis.

John C TX

Oct 11, 2011, 8:17:12 AM10/11/11
On Oct 10, 6:22 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Tutor" <dcat4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Whatever issues there are with the offense when he HAS time he often
locks on one receiver. He did that several times on Sunday and he has
done it to the detriment of many big plays & 1st down this year. How
many of his int's, when not under pressure this year, clearly showed
one & often two receivers open? Bitch about the coaching & I still
think it isn't all Schott but also Rex but he is a 3rd year player and
needs to improve and you know what ? The sad part is he has but just
not enough.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Oct 11, 2011, 12:53:30 PM10/11/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Watch other teams, watch top tier QB's....they usually have way more
breathing room than MS does....albeit I saw Cutler put on a real show last
night. He was awesome at dealing with no protection. So...MS is not that
type of guy, he can't do it with pressure...and if they are not going to get
rid of him, the only solution is to create a situation where he can better
deal with it. He appears to do rather well in play action situations and he
does well in hurry up situations...now, what does this tell me? It tells me
that in many other designed plays he is being coached to look for and go to
a particular guy because whoever designed that play is damn certain this guy
will be open. What goes on doesn't fit anything else frankly...he does not
lock on in play action, or in hurry up...but in drop back he either does or
checks down almost immediately. He can throw the ball too so it is not a
weak arm situation. I don't think anybody knows if he is that good or not
and maybe we'll never know. I live where there are a lot of Eagles
fans...so I watch some with them, my impression is something similar goes on
there. Andy Reid ruined Donovan McNabb with no freakin line in front of
him, and all the passes started going into the ground...now he is doing the
same thing with Vick. To get a guy to feel really good and develop in the
right direction you need O line....plain and simple. Damn the Lions looked
good last night.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Oct 11, 2011, 6:57:34 PM10/11/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sanchez was the least touched QB in the league his rookie year. This
year 9 more QB's have been sacked more & I know that is not the entire
story but I don't have any number on QB pressure/ hurries.

What I am talking about is when he has no or little pressure & has
multiple choices & makes the wrong decision. I can think of many times
that he threw into coverage when he had guys open or threw to a
player, completed the pass when he had a more open receiver.

>albeit I saw Cutler put on a real show last
> night. He was awesome at dealing with no protection. So...MS is not that
> type of guy, he can't do it with pressure...and if they are not going to
> get
> rid of him, the only solution is to create a situation where he can better
> deal with it. He appears to do rather well in play action situations and
> he
> does well in hurry up situations...now, what does this tell me? It tells
> me
> that in many other designed plays he is being coached to look for and go
> a particular guy because whoever designed that play is damn certain this
> guy
> will be open.

Is he being coached or is that what he does?

>What goes on doesn't fit anything else frankly...he does not
> lock on in play action, or in hurry up...but in drop back he either does
> or
> checks down almost immediately. He can throw the ball too so it is not a
> weak arm situation. I don't think anybody knows if he is that good or not
> and maybe we'll never know.

That has been my point it is either him or Schott (Rex) & we can't
ditch Sanchez. In fairness to both of them losing Mangold was big &
has caused Sanchez to get hit more.

>I live where there are a lot of Eagles
> fans...so I watch some with them, my impression is something similar goes
> on
> there. Andy Reid ruined Donovan McNabb with no freakin line in front of
> him, and all the passes started going into the ground...now he is doing
> the
> same thing with Vick. To get a guy to feel really good and develop in the
> right direction you need O line....plain and simple. Damn the Lions looked
> good last night.

Papa, not quoting stats but other good QB's have been hit more. I
don't blame him when he is hit I blame him when he makes the wrong
decision.

Read what I said...he seems OK in play action....he seems OK with hurry up
offense...or at least better in these two situations and he does look stuff
off. So what makes him zero in when he is in drop back...to me, it has to
be because he is being told to expect something to happen..."look for..."
type deal....it does not make sense to be able to do it under other
circumstances.

John C TX

Oct 12, 2011, 9:10:16 AM10/12/11
On Oct 11, 5:57 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:6fe34640-5588-42c3...@v38g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
Papa I did read it but that isn't the case. He has thrown stupid
passes & made poor choices rolling out & also off play action.

Listen I think in year's past Schott has done some good, you disagree,
some years he has been dealt horrible talent but for whatever reason
whether it is lack of ability, knowledge or Rex; he obviously can't
fix this guy. You generally get back to Schott but if you look at his
dumb throws they have come off a variety of situations. Look at
Jacksonville the 2nd pick was off a play action & roll out. The 1st
pick was off a roll out. Part of his problem this year has been the
play action became less effective when Mangold because we couldn't run
the ball.

As I have written before we won't know who is fully to blame until
Sanchez, Schott & Ryan are separated.

Michael

Oct 13, 2011, 5:04:10 PM10/13/11
> Sanchez, Schott & Ryan are separated.- Hide quoted text -

you mean YOU wont know.... The rest of the world already knows...

John C TX

Oct 13, 2011, 5:20:20 PM10/13/11

Grow up.......

STUPID

Johnny Morongo

Oct 13, 2011, 5:56:12 PM10/13/11

>>> Papa I did read it but that isn't the case. He has thrown stupid
>>> passes& made poor choices rolling out& also off play action.

>>> Listen I think in year's past Schott has done some good, you disagree,
>>> some years he has been dealt horrible talent but for whatever reason
>>> whether it is lack of ability, knowledge or Rex; he obviously can't
>>> fix this guy. You generally get back to Schott but if you look at his
>>> dumb throws they have come off a variety of situations. Look at
>>> Jacksonville the 2nd pick was off a play action& roll out. The 1st

>>> pick was off a roll out. Part of his problem this year has been the
>>> play action became less effective when Mangold because we couldn't run
>>> the ball.
>>
>>> As I have written before we won't know who is fully to blame until
>>> Sanchez, Schott& Ryan are separated.- Hide quoted text -

>> you mean YOU wont know.... The rest of the world already knows...
>
> Grow up.......
>
> STUPID

Why, Mrs Schitt! Temper. Temper. Temper. Shame on you. Ladies mustn't
speak that way.

Michael

Oct 13, 2011, 8:12:50 PM10/13/11
> STUPID- Hide quoted text -

Other than the fool within the Jets oganization that is sustaining
that charlatan you are the only one that refuses to make sense out of
the facts where Schotty is concerned. I cant for the life of me
understand how a seemingly intelligent person is so badly self deluded
in this case. Will you please get sane already ?!?!?!

Message has been deleted

graybeard

Oct 14, 2011, 2:15:52 PM10/14/11
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:02:17 -0700 (PDT), John C TX
<johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why, Mrs Schitt! �Temper. Temper. Temper. �Shame on you. �Ladies mustn't
>> speak that way.
>

>How about this?
>
>eat me!
>
>:)

You wish you knew ladies who spoke *that* way ;-)
--
graybeard

John C TX

Oct 14, 2011, 3:06:29 PM10/14/11

> You wish you knew ladies who spoke *that* way  ;-)
> --
> graybeard

I did but too often they didn't look very appetizing.