Is any CB worth it all?

JKConey

Sep 5, 2010, 12:01:15 AM9/5/10
I'm wondering about the value of players by position. Who influences and
changes game outcomes the most? A great QB... yes. A great rushing end or
LB? Yes. A legendary RB.... yes. I saw Deion, and Night train Lane, and all
the great CB's and DB the last 50 years. They can be avoided in a game plan,
and if not thrown at too much, you can still win a game. No one threw at
Deion, but he also was a great returner. Revis was awesome last 2 years but
it's not like the guy had 14 INT's and 6 TD's and 10 sacks. Don't get me
wrong, I love the guy and it's not my money, so I want him out there. But in
reality, he's not worth Manning $ for his position. JMHO
--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Shirley Digiorgio

Sep 5, 2010, 2:52:22 AM9/5/10

I'm with you. He was thrown on alot for a shut down cb last year. He
did great but why so many throws in his direction? If I were MT I
would give him the best offer with this ultimatem, sign now or we will
keep u for the remander of your contract. We will hold u to all the
contracual penaties. When u come in week ten every year we will put u
on extra points team only. At the end of three years how much do u
think your next contact will be.

RickyBobby

Sep 5, 2010, 11:56:39 AM9/5/10

"Shirley Digiorgio" <sddig...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The labor situation in the NFL is just intolerable. They need to throw the
entire CBA out and start fresh. Oh, wait, they have already done that.

The owners say that players get injured so they cannot have guaranteed
contracts. The players say that they might get injured so they need a large
up front payment just in case either they get injured or do not get injured.

The NFL gets paid all the same no matter if Revis and Roethlisberger are
playing or not playing. So it does not seem that the NFL can cry too loudly
about injuries.

On the other hand, Revis and Roethlisberger do not sell tickets. The teams
are what are followed.

So you wind up with an endless circle of debate under this current expired
CBA. They all need a new and better CBA.

Cornerbacks do not get paid like quarterbacks. Even good ones who get a lot
of press.

Ray O'Hara

Sep 5, 2010, 2:05:09 PM9/5/10

"RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote in message

yes the players do sell tickets. if the team sucks the stands will be empty.

JKConey

Sep 5, 2010, 9:49:29 PM9/5/10

"RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote in message

I think the system is fine. Why? We can't wait to watch the games. I
could care less about the players OR the owners. I do love the occasional
player on each years team.... Joe Willie, Harper, Leon, Kleco, Chrebet etc
etc, but when they get traded or hurt, I put on the green and still root
just as hard. Revis or not, I'm in it for the long haul.

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

JKConey

Sep 5, 2010, 9:53:21 PM9/5/10

"Shirley Digiorgio" <sddig...@gmail.com> wrote in message

He got thrown at because he was always guarding their best WR.
Threats don't work. Logic is the only thing that applies. If he was my
client or kid I'd tell him this. "You can't possibly play any better than
you have. They offered to tear it up. You sit however long you have to, you
have one chance to win the lottery, and it's now." He has very little to
lose at this point. Someone will pay him mega bucks now or next year.

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Shirley Digiorgio

Sep 5, 2010, 10:29:23 PM9/5/10
On Sep 5, 6:53 pm, "JKConey" <jkco...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Shirley Digiorgio" <sddigior...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> www.myconeyislandmemories.com- Hide quoted text -

Sanders did not get thrown at as much, who was he covering?. If he
holds out this year he lost 12m, lets say he gets 16m next year from
someone and it's a 4year contract. That's 64m, jets at 5yrs is 60m. So
he gets 4m more, however, if they hold him to his contract which from
this point on is much lower how much is he going to get 3 years from
now with no playing time?

papa.carl44

Sep 5, 2010, 11:03:57 PM9/5/10

"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Next year? Not if the Jets don't cave...it will be three more years...and
next year could easily be a wash...no season.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 5, 2010, 11:24:48 PM9/5/10
In article <i60m4p$ff8$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

worth it.

When Deion changed teams, so did the SB. When LT roamed wild, the Jints
won some SB. When Reggie White hit his prime, the Packs should have won
two SB.

While it is easier for a Qb to be seen as winning a game, pass rushing
LB or DE, a DB who can cut the field in half, and a running back like
Jim Brown who cannot be stopped can all single handedly dominate a
season. I think it is harder for an OL, FB, WR and inside LB to
accomplish the same but it may be because of who gets assigned where or
because I cannot watch football anymore (being limited to TV and not
ball parks).

My problem with Revis is not that he is not worth being the top paid CB
but that he is reneging on a contract, we have lots of players we need
to keep, he only did it for one year, and that next year we may find the
$16 million CB does not exist (if Aso is really cut).

harlan

harlan

JKConey

Sep 6, 2010, 2:20:49 PM9/6/10

> My problem with Revis is not that he is not worth being the top paid CB
> but that he is reneging on a contract, we have lots of players we need
> to keep, he only did it for one year, and that next year we may find the
> $16 million CB does not exist (if Aso is really cut).
>
> harlan

Harlan wasn't this all initiated by the team? They came out and said
they'd tear up the old one. They should have shut up.

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Harlan Lachman

Sep 6, 2010, 3:37:14 PM9/6/10
In article <i63bfs$6sk$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote:

I don't think so. They did what they said. They said they wanted to
raise his pay. They did.

He and his agents were being pigs.

I find it fascinating that David (aka Tutor) is the only one who has
realized that if the deal is not front loaded with escape hatches (my
stated only concern), then Revis basically signed for an extra year for
$12 million over what he already had. All the mediaots, not a one, has
reported what a small difference in chump change this was from what he
had.

Plus, all the talk about guarantees, given the rules, must mean he
settled for a deal like Mangold with only injury guaranteed until they
are allowed to guarantee salary each year.

pretty sad reporting.

harlan

MZ

Sep 6, 2010, 4:10:38 PM9/6/10

How is $12M in guarantees (some of it up front) "chump change"?

papa.carl44

Sep 6, 2010, 5:28:13 PM9/6/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

Sports reporters today only write what the corporate boss tells them to
write, or what is "accepted"...or if they can spin something out of total
fabrication to create a story that then looks like a "scoop" for them...they
are not the least bit concerned about facts or details, they usually don't
really understand the game they report on, and often just repeat
gossip...but why should they be different than the rest of the news business
today?

papa.carl44

Sep 6, 2010, 5:36:48 PM9/6/10

"MZ" <ma...@nospam.void> wrote in message

YES...you got it. Something that really freakin bothers me is when I drive
down any of the former business districts around here where I live. All I
see is empty storefronts, Lease Signs, Gone Out of Business Signs, I see a
GM plant closed, a Navy base closed, and I personally know over a dozen
people between the ages of 22 and 40 who are out of work, were laid off when
jobs got shipped somewhere else (like India) and can't find work. My wife
is a nurse, she sees elderly people not able to afford the medications they
need, she sees more and more people trying to get Medicaid...but...we can
have a pig like Revis try and say he is only trying to take care of his
family....this guy would have gladly taken a huge deal (if the Jets had been
so stupid as to give it to him) and decimate the team, he does not care
about playing for a championship or what happens to anyone else on that
team. Actions speak, and the dribble he will come out with now means
absolutely nothing. I suppose it is good for the Jets to have him back, but
don't get fooled...he is NOT a team player and he never will be. How many
of you guys have gone to work sick because you didn't want to let a
co-worker down? How teachers and others have settled contracts for much
less than they wanted to keep others employed? I'm finding it very hard to
enjoy any of this crap anymore. I hope somebody tells Revis to just shut
his freakin mouth and play. I sure as Hell would never buy any product he
hyped and I really think someone smart should start marketing shirts and
jerseys with his number and a pig on the front of it.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted