Re: Fake Punt

Message has been deleted

Michael

Jan 17, 2011, 10:39:26 AM1/17/11
On Jan 17, 9:23 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was surprised they would try that fake punt until I saw this.  I
> know BB takes chances but that one seemed like the risk reward was too
> great even for him.
>
> http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20110117chung_m...
>
> Patrick Chung miscalculates
> Ian R. Rapoport By Ian R. Rapoport
>
> FOXBORO — Patrick Chung did the math in his head, saw the Patriots
> [team stats] had a two-man advantage on the Jets on the line, and made
> one of the most crucial decisions he’ll ever make.
>
> The second-year safety, serving as the personal protector on a punt,
> called for a fake on fourth-and-4 from the Patriots 38-yard line with
> 1:14 left in the first half. He bobbled the snap and was stopped for
> no gain.
>
> The Jets capitalized four plays later with a Braylon Edwards 15-yard
> touchdown to give them a 14-3 lead at halftime in the 28-21 win.
>
> “We trust the decision Patrick makes,” punter Zoltan Mesko said.
>
> “It just didn’t work out in that particular occasion. That’s why the
> coaches trust him to run it, and that’s why they give him the green
> light, if he has it.”
>
> Coach Bill Belichick wouldn’t discuss the play in detail.
>
> “We just made a bad mistake,” he said.
>
> Chung, who declined comment after the game, counted eight Patriots
> against six Jets, giving the call for a fake.
>
> Had he caught it cleanly, who knows?
>
> “It was called on the field,” Mesko said.
>
> “There was a look, and if you had it, call it. It could have been
> called smart if it

the fake punt and a few of the other "creative" plays the pats ran
made it appear that bb felt his goose was cooked unless he got outside
the box. after the first quarter, brady did not look like brady. he
looked badly flustered

Ray O'Hara

Jan 17, 2011, 10:58:46 AM1/17/11

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 06:23:44 -0800 (PST), John C TX
> <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I was surprised they would try that fake punt until I saw this. I
>>know BB takes chances but that one seemed like the risk reward was too
>>great even for him.
>
> Yeah, all teams do it that way. The Jets had that one with Weatherford, a
> few weeks ago.
> They have to do it that way, because nobody knows what the formation will
> be, until the
> players are on the field & set. I just think the coaches need to educate
> players more on
> situational thinking. Chung chose a poor situation to attempt it. Even
> had they made it,
> they still would've had 50-60 yards in front of them... just like
> Weatherford.
> But, I think the Jets had the Pats players in an uncomfortable position,
> by challenging
> them, so, many of the Pats vapor-locked. I don't think I ever saw Brady
> have so many
> vapor-lock moments. The Jets really did a number on his head yesterday.
> Was pretty to see ;)
>

>>http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20110117chung_miscalculates/

>>Patrick Chung miscalculates
>>Ian R. Rapoport By Ian R. Rapoport
>>
>>FOXBORO - Patrick Chung did the math in his head, saw the Patriots

>>[team stats] had a two-man advantage on the Jets on the line, and made
>>one of the most crucial decisions he'll ever make.
>>
>>The second-year safety, serving as the personal protector on a punt,
>>called for a fake on fourth-and-4 from the Patriots 38-yard line with
>>1:14 left in the first half. He bobbled the snap and was stopped for
>>no gain.
>>
>>The Jets capitalized four plays later with a Braylon Edwards 15-yard
>>touchdown to give them a 14-3 lead at halftime in the 28-21 win.
>>
>>"We trust the decision Patrick makes," punter Zoltan Mesko said.
>>
>>"It just didn't work out in that particular occasion. That's why the
>>coaches trust him to run it, and that's why they give him the green
>>light, if he has it."
>>
>>Coach Bill Belichick wouldn't discuss the play in detail.
>>
>>"We just made a bad mistake," he said.
>>
>>Chung, who declined comment after the game, counted eight Patriots
>>against six Jets, giving the call for a fake.
>>
>>Had he caught it cleanly, who knows?
>>
>>"It was called on the field," Mesko said.
>>
>>"There was a look, and if you had it, call it. It could have been
>>called smart if it

Brady didn't have a bad game, the Jest DBs did a great job on coverage.
all the sacks were coverage sacks, and Brady did manage to throw for 200
yards in the second half.

Michael

Jan 17, 2011, 11:08:21 AM1/17/11
> looked badly flustered- Hide quoted text -

never mind... just found out that chung called the fake punt... my
bad... bb was not in panic mode. chung made a mistake

Husky

Jan 17, 2011, 11:29:00 AM1/17/11

Giants fan here.
His mistake was not cleanly handling the ball. If he did he would
have made some serious yardage.
IIRC, the Jets had a fake punt in the GB game. They missed that one
by about a yard. If you make it it looks great, but I think being
down by only 4 and getting the ball to start the second half would
have been the wiser choice.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Jan 17, 2011, 8:41:43 PM1/17/11
In article <s5u8j6da7safea91g...@4ax.com>,
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:58:46 -0500 "Ray O'Hara"
> <raymon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Brady didn't have a bad game, the Jest DBs did a great job on coverage.
> >all the sacks were coverage sacks, and Brady did manage to throw for 200
> >yards in the second half.
>

> Most of which was in garbage time when the Jets were in a soft defense
> and happy to let Brady pad his stats with numerous short passes in the
> middle of the field, thus helping to run down the clock. Needing to
> throw 45 passes to get 299 yards is not exactly lighting up the defense.

I hated the change. If either of those onside kicks had worked....