Edwards/Holmes/Cotchery/Keller - How do they rate?

BicketyBam

Oct 18, 2010, 7:44:17 PM10/18/10
I started watching the Jets in 1986. I know may of you go back long before
that. I was thinking about the current Jets receivers (including the TE)
and trying to figure out if the Jets have had a better group since I've
been a fan. In 1986 they had Toon, Walker and Shuler. How do you think the
current group compares to them? Toon had some of the best hands I have ever
seen, and Walker was a tremendous deep threat. Shuler was a very good pass
catching TE back when TE's usually were known for their blocking. But I
think as an overall group, Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery and Keller are more
explosive...if not for the fact that Keller is more dangerous than Shuler
and we have one extra wideout. That '86 team team did use McNeil as Hector
as receivers, but Tomlinson is more than capable.

The only other team that I could think of that might be on par was the '98
team with Keyshawn, Cherbet, Ward and Kyle Brady. But I think both the '86
group and the current group were/are better.

So unless I missed something, I'd say this is the most explosive set of
receivers since the mid 80's. I can't speak for any team before that.

Thoughts?

JKConey

Oct 18, 2010, 8:26:56 PM10/18/10

"BicketyBam" <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote in message

> Thoughts?

Maynard-Sauer-Lammons.... best of all time!

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Message has been deleted

BicketyBam

Oct 18, 2010, 8:32:28 PM10/18/10
"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in news:i9iokl$86h$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

> "BicketyBam" <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote in message
>

>> Thoughts?
>

> Maynard-Sauer-Lammons.... best of all time!

That was long before my time, but I will take your word for it :)

Message has been deleted

JKConey

Oct 18, 2010, 8:42:03 PM10/18/10

"BicketyBam" <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote in message

That's what oldtimers are for! Maynard was a short skinny and fast as
hell white guy, that even Joe Willie couldn't overthrow. Sauer was as
precise a route runner as ever lived. He ran patterns like a fly could zig
zag. Lammons was a clutch over the middle great hands guy, that could also
go deep. For kicks they also had Bake "one hand catch" Turner, and Bill
Mathis too.

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Keith Keller

Oct 18, 2010, 11:14:35 PM10/18/10
On 2010-10-19, buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2010 00:32:28 GMT, BicketyBam <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote:
>>
>>That was long before my time, but I will take your word for it :)
>

> Long before your time... hey, I take offense to that... you callin' me old??

You *are* old! My first Jets QB was Richard Todd. :)

Wait...does that make *me* old too?!?! DOH!

--keith

(technically I was alive when Namath was QB, but was too young to even
remember whether I knew who he was or not.)

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Message has been deleted

JKConey

Oct 19, 2010, 12:02:16 AM10/19/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> I wouldn't call Maynard short, he was probably at least 6 ft. For back
> then, I'd say he
> was an average to tall WR ;)

6', 180lbs and the really amazing and scary stat..... born 1935!!!

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

yoyodog

Oct 19, 2010, 11:08:01 AM10/19/10

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:32:28 -0400, graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:

>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:03:40 -0400 buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:42:03 -0400, "JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>

>>>I wouldn't call Maynard short, he was probably at least 6 ft. For back
>>>then, I'd say he
>>>was an average to tall WR ;)
>>>Sauer had some of the best hands I've ever seen... rarely dropped
>>>anything near him. Was
>>>a graceful, but slow mutha. Always liked Bake, especially singin' in
>>>those *Four Jets*
>>>Score Hair Goop commercials.
>>>I have gotta dust of those reel-to-reel tapes I have. I have that
>>>commercial on tape.
>>>It would really be a hoot to hear it again. I guess first, though, I
>>>gotta find a
>>>reel-to-reel tape recorder. Ebay here I come ;)
>>
>>Reel-to-reel tape? You're not old - you're antediluvian! If you can't
>>put it on an iPod, some of the guys here probably have no idea what you
>>are talking about ;-)
>

> What's an iPod ;)
>
> If I recall, I also have the Supe year "highlights" broadcast with Merle
> Harmon, on r-t-r
> tape. Got some priceless stuff... like evidence that I've never grown up,
> was a wiseass
> my whole life... some phoney phonecalls I made, &, the night we landed on
> the Moon,
> afterwards, I called a radio talkshow (Leon Lewis or Alex Bennett?).
> Something like:
> "To add a little levity to the night, what do you call a Moon Monster?"
> "I don't know, what?"
> "A Moonster."
> Promptly cut off the air ;)

I've got an old R-T-R tape recording of myself getting on an AM morning
radio show in Montreal. It was 1974. CKGM top 40. My alarm clock was set
to it. One morning I woke up to "we'll take the 10th caller". Not even
knowing why they were taking the 10th caller, I dialed... I WAS the tenth
caller! Half asleep, off-air, I was told about a game I was about to play
and described how it worked. They explained that would tell me what the
category was, they would give a clue and I'd have to take a guess at the
answer. If I guessed right I'd win the prize which was the answer. For
example, they would say something like "the category is 'in the house' and
the clue is 'what follows tea?'". If I guessed "Vee" I would win a new TV.
I was about to be on the air within a minute of waking up and was able to
get my good ol' R-T-R ready to capture my moment of fame! As soon as they
came back from commercial break I pushed the record button... "We're back!
time to play our 'You Guess, You Get' game!. We have Pierre on the phone
from Beaconsfield, he goes to St-Thomas High School in Pointe-Claire... the
category is 'where do you want to go?'... are you ready to go?" I said,
"ummmm... I guess..." The DJ followed with "the clue is 'Home on the
range'... you have ten seconds!" The classic tick-tock audio came on air
and I mumbled a few more ummms, and uhhhs (I thought for sec, and sang in my
head "Home on the range, where the...) and said...Ummm... Buffalo??? (in a
bemuzed way, as in, who the hell wants to go to Buffalo?) BUZZZZZZZ!!!!!
"Nooooooo!!!!" the DJ yelped! The studio laughed loudly in the background,
fun was had by all!!! "The answer is ROME! as in 'where the buffaloes
roam!" They got me but good...

But that was nothing, you should have seen the endless embarassement I had
to endure when I got to school that morning... "BUFFALO????

My humility was complete.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

yoyodog

Oct 19, 2010, 2:59:28 PM10/19/10

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:08:01 -0400, "yoyodog" <connarc...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> Vous etes Quebecois?
>
> That's a cool story... I woulda said Range, as in I'd be getting a new
> stove, especially
> if I had just woken up ;)

Oui, Tabarnak! But growing up 100% bilingual in the West Island of Montreal
requires to also say "Fuck, yeah!"

Harlan Lachman

Oct 19, 2010, 3:01:45 PM10/19/10
In article <Xns9E15C8CAA4047...@209.197.15.254>,
BicketyBam <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote:

Older Fans would remember that Maynard, Sauer and Lammons were were OK
but that only that Sauer was a short route runner and Maynard for the
most part like Moss, a go guy.

This group has not proven itself to me yet. I agree they are better run
blockers than any group of WR that I remember but Braylon had the
droppsies and still does not come back for the ball strong, Dustin does
not consistently beat other teams, and Holmes is too new.

Keysawn Q, Ward and Brady were the most over hyped and over paid group.
Key was never the elite receiver he thought he was or we thought when we
wasted the high pick on him. He is not in the same league as a Andre
Johnson, Fitzgerald, and even Detroit's C Johnson. Q was not as
dangerous or problematic as Welker and Brady was a wasted pick.

I think the best WR this team has had since Dick Wood was the Toon,
Walker and Shuler group. Albeit, this was in the days where teams only
needed two WR, but I think Walker was the best WR I remember and Toon
ran over the middle routes until he got woozy that were the best I
remember. And, I remember Shuler with the fondness Jint fans remember
Bavaro but we didn't win the big ones so none of these guys got the
props (or QB for that matter) that they deserved.

Harlan Lachman

Oct 19, 2010, 3:03:26 PM10/19/10
In article <Xns9E15D0F59BDCF...@209.197.15.254>,
BicketyBam <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote:

Don't. They were not as dominating as the Shuler, Toon, and Walker
triumverate. And Sauer played only one dominating year.

Sauer left costing us a second SB run (KC took maynard out of the game
and Bake Turner could do nothing).

Harlam

Harlan Lachman

Oct 19, 2010, 3:05:17 PM10/19/10
In article <s1fvo7x...@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2010-10-19, buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> > On 19 Oct 2010 00:32:28 GMT, BicketyBam <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>That was long before my time, but I will take your word for it :)
> >

> > Long before your time... hey, I take offense to that... you callin' me old??
>
> You *are* old! My first Jets QB was Richard Todd. :)
>
> Wait...does that make *me* old too?!?! DOH!
>
> --keith
>
> (technically I was alive when Namath was QB, but was too young to even
> remember whether I knew who he was or not.)

Imagine how old someone must be who watched Dick Wood QB the team in the
Polo Grounds.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

yoyodog

Oct 19, 2010, 3:22:55 PM10/19/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:08:01 -0400, "yoyodog" <connarc...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> That's a cool story... I woulda said Range, as in I'd be getting a new
> stove, especially
> if I had just woken up ;)

I might have said Range too except that the category was 'where do you want
to go?' Maybe if a was a gun shootin', gum chewin' redneck Canajin' I
would want to go the the range ;-)

yoyodog

Oct 19, 2010, 4:23:30 PM10/19/10

> I used to go up there a lot (& Quebec City), in my late teens & early 20s.
> Loved the local stock of femmes... was easy to delude myself that I was
> actually a
> sophisticated world traveller, meeting Renaissance women ;)

... and drinkin' lots of Brador I bet ;-)

Message has been deleted

Keith Keller

Oct 19, 2010, 4:52:46 PM10/19/10
On 2010-10-19, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:

> Imagine how old someone must be who watched Dick Wood QB the team in the
> Polo Grounds.

Triple digits? ;-O

--keith

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

BicketyBam

Oct 19, 2010, 8:19:04 PM10/19/10

> On 19 Oct 2010 00:32:28 GMT, BicketyBam <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote:
>

>>"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in
>>news:i9iokl$86h$1...@news.eternal- september.org:
>>

>>> "BicketyBam" <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote in message

>>> Maynard-Sauer-Lammons.... best of all time!
>>>

>>That was long before my time, but I will take your word for it :)
>

> Long before your time... hey, I take offense to that... you callin' me
> old??
>

> Those guys were great, but it was such a different era.
> Maynard would probably be broken into numerous parts, if he was hit by
> some of the defenders these days.
> Then again, with the advances in training... who knows.
> I do know Namath would've had a longer, & more productive career...
> but I digress ;)

I was bor born in 1967, so technically I was around :)

BicketyBam

Oct 19, 2010, 8:22:27 PM10/19/10
Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in

I agree that MeShawn was severly overrated. I was happy to see him go.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Oct 20, 2010, 11:46:40 AM10/20/10
In article <o50sb6pk7818h5sen...@4ax.com>,
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:03:26 -0400 Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com>
> wrote:
>
> >And Sauer played only one dominating year.
>

> Not sure what your definition of dominating is.
>
> 1966: 63 receptions (2nd in AFL) / 1079 yds
> 1967: 75 receptions (1st in AFL) / 1189 yds
> 1968: 66 receptions (2nd in AFL) / 1141 yds
>
> Pro Bowls: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969
>
> For a guy who only played for 6 six years, those aren't bad credentials.

Fair enough. But it was 1970 that killed us.