Hugh Douglas: "Jets Are Fearless"

JetsLife

Sep 8, 2011, 11:15:40 PM9/8/11
*Finally* someone more eloquent than me summing up what I always try
to get at with these Jets.

And Hugh Douglas's comments were specifically regarding Rex & Sanchez:
they're fearless, they have swagger. When they got knocked down it
doesn't bother them. They get right back up.

I've been harping on "toughness" for the past year or two ... Hugh
summed it up better than me:

The Jets are fearless and got swagger.

And to me that's another way of saying: they want it. And want to,
true desire and passion to get something, have always been at the root
of achievment.

Grinch

Sep 9, 2011, 1:37:30 AM9/9/11
On Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:15:40 PM UTC-4, JetsLife wrote:
> *Finally* someone more eloquent than me summing up what I always try
> to get at with these Jets.
>
> And Hugh Douglas's comments were specifically regarding Rex & Sanchez:
> they're fearless, they have swagger. When they got knocked down it
> doesn't bother them. They get right back up.
>
> I've been harping on "toughness" for the past year or two ...

Yup. And when "toughness" finally gets our QB ranked higher than 27th by rating and 29th by completion pct, let us know. So far, toughness and swagger haven't proved much of a substitute for being able to read the D and accurately hit the open man.

Personally, I'd feel a lot better if Hugh had said the Jets had the *smartest* QB and HC around, and the toughest linemen in the league.

I mean, Rex, gee, is he still over 300 pounds after the operation? "Tough"? Really??? I suppose he could roll himself up off his back if knocked down, but it's not really a job requirement as he has a whole staff of assistants who'd lift him up quickly enough -- but *brains* is a requirement!

> Hugh summed it up better than me:
>
> The Jets are fearless and got swagger.
>
> And to me that's another way of saying: they want it. And want to,
> true desire and passion to get something, have always been at the root
> of achievment.

Every team in the league is loaded with toughness and swagger. Everybody has to be full of that to be just competitive, to be there. To win takes a lot more: Talent, brains, fast thinking, poise under pressure, professionalism.

All across the league this week tough, swaggering players have been mocking Sanchez over his ever-so-tough GQ profile.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82204d24/article/packers-rodgers-calls-sanchezs-gq-spread-embarrassing

Well, maybe it was "tough", in a certain way, for Mark to say he wanted to go over and punch out Rex for thinking about benching him, and to fight in the huddle against Rex's giving Brunell extra reps, for no other reason than that his own play was sucking. And that it took Schott to stop him. (Hey, and youze guys say Schott doesn't earn his pay. He stopped a mutiny and civil war!)

But was it *smart* (poised? professional?) to act that way -- and then tell the whole story in GQ? I'm trying to imagine another QB saying, in GQ, "That bastard was thinking of sitting me, and was actually cutting my reps, just because my play was stinking. So I was headed over to punch out Parcells/ Cowher/ Shula/ Noll/ ..." :-)

Yet Rex humored the spoiled baby about the whole incident, both when it happened and when it hit print. Looks to me like Rex is a lot more smart than tough -- which is the way it *should* be. Good for him.

~~~~~
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/15/mark.sanchez.rex.ryan.ap/index.html

"In the GQ article, Sanchez also discusses ... the challenges of dating and his appreciation for Justin Bieber and the TV show 'Glee.'

"Sanchez, who enjoys Broadway performances, sees a comparison between being on stage and playing on the football field."
~~~~~

Wow, that will sure put fear of his toughness into opposing blitzing linebackers!

But I don't care if it does or it doesn't.

He could spend the next summer dressed up in a Tinkerbell suit prancing across the stage in a West Village musical and *if* it was after he'd hit 65% of his passes during this season he'd be my main man, I'd be his biggest fan.

But if after a third season with a 27th-ranked passer rating and under-55% completion pct he spends the summer winning the Ultimate Fighting World Championship, I'll tell him to use it to go get a job as a male model.

JetsLife

Sep 9, 2011, 2:00:29 AM9/9/11
On Sep 9, 1:37 am, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> "In the GQ article, Sanchez also discusses ... the challenges of dating and his appreciation for Justin Bieber and the TV show 'Glee.'
>
> "Sanchez, who enjoys Broadway performances, sees a comparison between being on stage and playing on the football field."
> ~~~~~
>
> Wow, that will sure put fear of his toughness into opposing blitzing linebackers!
>
> But I don't care if it does or it doesn't.
>
> He could spend the next summer dressed up in a Tinkerbell suit prancing across the stage in a West Village musical and *if* it was after he'd hit 65% of his passes during this season he'd be my main man, I'd be his biggest fan.
>
> But if after a third season with a 27th-ranked passer rating and under-55% completion pct he spends the summer winning the Ultimate Fighting World Championship, I'll tell him to use it to go get a job as a male model.

Oh Grinchy, you are a classically stupid idiot. Hiding behind your
classic lawyer cowardice, unwilling to your risk Jets fan emotion.
Unwilling to go to the game Sunday cause you're a coward.

It's okay. You have made your self plain by now. Me, I'm a wild
businessman where feircelessness, on a physical and thinking level
does come in to play. It's why I'm retired at 35 - or did that escape
you.

One week you love the Jets the next you tear them down.

All you can do is cite stats. If we went by you're approach, Mangini
would still be our head coach.

You're a foolish fool who hides behind stats and wouldn't know a good
Jets team if it smashed you in the face. You reside in a world of
cowardice and fear. If you disagree I will be happy to meet you any
time in the parking lot so we can share a beer and end your arrogant
war - on us all in here.

ALL YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IS NITPICK, FIGHT & HATE UNTIL YOU'RE OWN SON
SEES A GREAT VICTORY OVER HOUSTON LAST YEAR. AND THEN UR ALL HUNKY
DORY OH MAYBE THE CURSE IS BROKEN!!

And then you are seen for what you are.

Fuck you Grinch: you ARE the curse, the ingrained negativity infecting
the positive vibrations.

Most of all, you are a coward Jets fan. You don't have the $, balls or
belief to go nuts at the game Sunday. If so prove me wrong: show up
loud with me and I'm buying. I altered a biz trip just for it. You -
all you do is talk shit. No, you don't want the Jets to win - all you
want is for you to win argument.

Typical scumbag lawyer. I know you're type and I walk over you. You're
bark is always WAY bigger than bite when we hit you back so hard you
never it was coming. Keep your evil negative lawyer shit to yourself
would ya.

The rest of us have a game to play Sunday. FUCK YOU GRINCH

Drumrboy

Sep 9, 2011, 5:50:21 PM9/9/11
> Typical scumbag lawyer. I know you're type and I walk over you.
You're
> bark is always WAY bigger than bite when we hit you back so hard you
> never it was coming. Keep your evil negative lawyer shit to yourself
> would ya.
>
> The rest of us have a game to play Sunday. FUCK YOU GRINCH

What position do you play? What's your jersey #?

Grinch

Sep 10, 2011, 2:07:23 AM9/10/11
On Friday, September 9, 2011 2:00:29 AM UTC-4, JetsLife wrote:

Hmm... so along with toughness,, toughness, toughness, do "poise" and "self control" appear on your list of winners' attributes anyhere?

Just asking. :-)

> Most of all, you are a coward Jets fan. You don't have the $, balls or
> belief to go nuts at the game Sunday. If so prove me wrong: show up
> loud with me and I'm buying. I altered a biz trip just for it. You -
> all you do is talk shit. No, you don't want the Jets to win - all you
> want is for you to win argument.
>
> Typical scumbag lawyer. I know you're type and I walk over you. You're
> bark is always WAY bigger than bite when we hit you back so hard you
> never it was coming. Keep your evil negative lawyer shit to yourself
> would ya.
>
> The rest of us have a game to play Sunday. FUCK YOU GRINCH

Dude, why angry at me? I'm not the one who said The Sanchize's GQ spread was "embarassing".

That was Aaron Rodgers and the guys on the Cowboys and the other players who said that.

But you don't have to take their word for it. See for yourself. Here's a GQ video on it:

http://www.gq.com/video/videos/mark-sanchez-new-york-jets-gq-interview

And here's a part of the part of the article that's online:
~~~~

Maybe the most striking thing about Sanchez's home is what's on the DVR. Holding a white towel around his waist, heading for the shower, he flips through his saved shows. A documentary about Justin Bieber? Episodes of Glee? The quarterback of the New York Jets is a Gleek and a Belieber?

Yes, he says, failing to notice the tone of incredulity.

The DVR squares with Sanchez's unabashed love of show tunes. It seems too perfect that the successor to Broadway Joe is a fan of Broadway musicals, but there you have it.

While you're likely to bump into other New York athletes at Scores, you're more likely to find Sanchez at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. He's seen just about every show out there, many of them multiple times. His truck is cluttered with cast albums. So ubiquitous is Sanchez in the theater district that he was a presenter at last year's Tonys.

Aside from just enjoying the music, Sanchez says he feels a kinship with Broadway performers. "Their life is so regimented—like mine. They have eight shows a week. They have to take care of their bodies, stretch, eat right, take care of their voices. You know, their voice is like my arm."

Pants and sneakers by Nike. Hat by Noff. Necklace by Cartier. Watch by Rolex at Tourneau.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201109/mark-sanchez-gq-september-2011-cover-story#slide=3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tough! Tough! Tough! Tough! Tough! Tough! Tough!

:-)

Harlan Lachman

Sep 10, 2011, 12:17:56 PM9/10/11
In article
<c592f475-aca8-4ac6...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com
>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Grinch, while I agree with you that Life (generally and in this post)
is too optimistic/simplistic and with most of what you write, I think
you too are missing something.

The truth is that the Mangini/Herm Jets have been transformed to a team
that went to two consecutive AFC championship games. Last year, they
were the one of only two teams to beat the Pats and they did so twice.

While I am so old it is not likely I will see the team for which I root
win a ring, it is also true that this team is better, better prepared,
and prepared/committed to win enough that they have been more successful
than they have been in decades (absent the all too brief Parcells years).

harlan

Señor Patriots

Sep 10, 2011, 3:00:42 PM9/10/11
On Sep 10, 11:17 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c592f475-aca8-4ac6-b02f-0558f9109...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com
>
> this team is better, better prepared,
> and prepared/committed to win enough that they have been more successful
> than they have been in decades (absent the all too brief Parcells years).

Definitely a vast improvement.

Getting over the hump reminds me of being just to the left of the top
of the Bell Curve. It's easier rising to near the top, but harder to
actually get over the top, or on the top.

In the end I'm convinced that *everything* has to go right for a
playoff team to go over the top. Timing of all those high points for
the main players, and the coaches, and even a lot of *luck* has to be
there to make it all happen. How else could it be with maybe 6 teams
all capable of winning it? Some very good teams must lose. In fact,
they all must lose except for one.

That being said, the '68 Jets came out of nowhere .... like the 2001
Patriots. It wasn't the vaunted Colts or Rams that won those
games.

Maybe luck is not the right word though. Maybe destiny is? It seems
to me that certain teams do have a sense of destiny around them. How
to prove that? You can't but just look back at the 2007 Giants, and
really study what they did starting with that loss to the Patriots in
week 17. Watch what they did in Green Bay in the freezing cold. That
just doesn't happen without some destiny in the mix, me thinks. I
found it disconcerting to see them win that game in Green Bay because
that type of win can really propel a team's sense of destiny. OTOH,
if GB had won it, ho hum, sorta, that Brett in the cold could not be
beaten, etc.

I'll take luck or destiny any day. All the half dozen teams are good
enough to rate the trophy, but only one can be destined.