Will the NY Jets make the playoffs this year?

MacUser

Nov 9, 2011, 2:42:30 AM11/9/11
Yes the Jets are playing better, thank goodness. But I am still
wondering if the only way the Jets make the playoffs is to win the AFC
East? That being said, I am still not sure if a 10-6 record is enough
to make the playoffs this year in the AFC ( given all the tie breaker
scenarios). My gut feeling is the Jets need at least a 11-5 record.

The upcoming games against New England, Philly, and Giants really worry
me since the Jets already have three losses.

Thoughts.

John C TX

Nov 9, 2011, 8:43:25 AM11/9/11
The risk now comes from the

AFCE Buffalo & NE
AFCN Ravens, Steelers, Bengals
AFCS Texans, Titans (not really)
AFCW ???

Buffalo we can control. I think they their talent was a bit
overvalued. The Pats will be in there as AFC champ or wild card.
I think the Bengals have 4 games with the Steelers & Ravens as well as
the Texans & the Cardinals. TN has an easier schedule but has some
tough NFC games.The last day of the season is critical as many of
these teams play each other & if one or more have clinched it & roll
over we could have problems.

Michael

Nov 9, 2011, 9:49:05 AM11/9/11
a simplification that might be interesting to consider. forget about
the wild card. think of the jets as afc champs. i am going to rule
out the bills. i agree they are over valued. galey is a good coach,
but they dont have enough good football players yet. in a few years
of building, they will probably be a force... lets look at who the
jets and pats have left and estimate who wins the afc

Jets

Pats: W or L (i think the jets are on the right track and will take
this one. i could care less that the pats have not lost three in
countless seasons. Still, It is the Pats and they can do it.

@ Denver: W (no way do they blow this game)

Buff: W (same results)

@ Washington: W

KC: W

@ Philly: could be W or L

Giants: I REALLY REALLY want this game, but could be W or L

Miami: W

So...Given remaining schedule, Jets final record. Best case 13-6 (Win
Div)

Wost cast case: 10-6 (probable wild card)

Who the Pats have and my predictions

Jets(L)
KC (W)
Eagles (L)
Dolts (W)
Redskins (W)
Denver (W)
Miami (W)
Buff (W)

Final record 11-5

IMHO... The Key for the Jets is a W vs. Pats this Sunday (Most
important game of the year) and they have to pull off a win over the
Eagles or Giants. That would give them a 11-5 record and a better
record in the div than the Pats have becayse the Pats will have only
one div loss to the Pats and the Pats will have div losses to Jets and
Bills. 11-5 tie goes to Jets. That is how I think it will go down.

The Jets better come out Sunday night to kick ass and chew gum... but
forget to bring the gum

Harlan Lachman

Nov 9, 2011, 11:05:54 PM11/9/11
In article <j9dat5$hs6$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Why worry? Things are set up perfectly.

If we beat those teams, we win the division, we not only get in the
playoffs, we play at least one home playoff game. IOW, we deserve to be
in the playoffs if we beat those teams.

If not beat them, we don't don't belong in the playoffs more than any
other team. So who cares.

Being in the playoffs is like a night with your favorite hand. Being a
Division champ without tie breakers can be the start of something
special.

harlan

oldn...@mindspring.com

Nov 10, 2011, 12:45:58 AM11/10/11
Why worry about the three losses -- the other teams have three losses too.

The Jets are tied for first place and control their own fate. To control your own fate is all a team can really ask for.

If they are good enough they will. If they aren't they won't -- but then they aren't good enough.

One thing: very clearly there are no super teams in the AFC this year. The top record in the West is 4-4. The wild card slots look like they will be going to the East and/or North. That's OK for us. And with no super teams, every team that makes the playoffs will have a credible shot at making a run.

Papa Carl

Nov 10, 2011, 1:54:17 AM11/10/11

<oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I have a friend who is a die hard Packers fan...they tape all the games and
have the Direct TV package to do it...after watching those games...nobody is
going to beat them anyway. :-) I expect them to be the repeat SB winners.

Johnny Morongo

Nov 10, 2011, 1:26:48 PM11/10/11
On 11/9/2011 10:54 PM, Papa Carl wrote:

> I have a friend who is a die hard Packers fan...they tape all the games and
> have the Direct TV package to do it...after watching those games...nobody is
> going to beat them anyway. :-) I expect them to be the repeat SB winners.

I don't think that their Defense is all that good. They'd be beatable
by a team with a strong Offense. Look at the Chargers game from last
week. Rivers & Co. were able to put up significant points on them.

Papa Carl

Nov 10, 2011, 5:14:24 PM11/10/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
I agree...you are correct...but I also think the way things are going few
have the true balanced approach and The Pack can outscore most O's around
and a team with a D to stop them probably does not have the O to
match...that's an issue...you can't just go with a super D...at that level
you have to be able to score points and to keep your own D off the field by
moving the ball etc...I just don't see that mix in the AFC right now...could
be totally wrong.

Johnny Morongo

Nov 10, 2011, 6:28:23 PM11/10/11
On 11/10/2011 2:14 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo"<Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
>> On 11/9/2011 10:54 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
>>

>>> I have a friend who is a die hard Packers fan...they tape all the games
>>> and
>>> have the Direct TV package to do it...after watching those games...nobody
>>> is
>>> going to beat them anyway. :-) I expect them to be the repeat SB
>>> winners.
>>>

>> I don't think that their Defense is all that good. They'd be beatable by
>> a team with a strong Offense. Look at the Chargers game from last week.
>> Rivers& Co. were able to put up significant points on them.
>
> I agree...you are correct...but I also think the way things are going few
> have the true balanced approach and The Pack can outscore most O's around
> and a team with a D to stop them probably does not have the O to
> match...that's an issue...you can't just go with a super D...at that level
> you have to be able to score points and to keep your own D off the field by
> moving the ball etc...I just don't see that mix in the AFC right now...could
> be totally wrong.

Now I know this is pie in the sky, but the Jets offense looked very good
to me last Sunday. If it gets going and if, as someone else has said,
Schott will dump the cutesiness, the trick plays and the 'I'm smarter
than anyone else' calls (that he's been pretty much avoiding lately,
btw) which have pretty much been a staple in his offense for the last
5.5 years, the we have the POTENTIAL to become one of those good scoring
offenses that, and along with the stout D that we're seeing of late,
then WE could take Mr. Rogers & Co.

Please. Before I die.

Hammer

Nov 10, 2011, 7:13:14 PM11/10/11
On Nov 10, 6:28 pm, Johnny Morongo <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 2:14 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
>

> > "Johnny Morongo"<Moro...@Burf.com>  wrote in message
> Please.  Before I die.- Hide quoted text -

In which half of the game did they look good?

oldn...@mindspring.com

Nov 10, 2011, 7:18:35 PM11/10/11
On Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:14:24 PM UTC-5, Papa Carl wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
> > On 11/9/2011 10:54 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
> >

> >> I have a friend who is a die hard Packers fan...they tape all the games
> >> and
> >> have the Direct TV package to do it...after watching those games...nobody
> >> is
> >> going to beat them anyway. :-) I expect them to be the repeat SB
> >> winners.
> >>

> > I don't think that their Defense is all that good. They'd be beatable by
> > a team with a strong Offense. Look at the Chargers game from last week.
> > Rivers & Co. were able to put up significant points on them.
>
> I agree...you are correct...but I also think the way things are going few
> have the true balanced approach and The Pack can outscore most O's around
> and a team with a D to stop them probably does not have the O to
> match...that's an issue...

You are entirely right there, they probably are the clear best team in the league.

But still all their eggs are in one basket. They are all passing O. That means one bad day or one unlucky day with the passing O, one key injury, one day when the opposing DC innovates some surprise, they can lose. (They sure didn't look like supermen squeezing by the Chargers last week -- if Rivers hadn't thrown so many picks...)

All one-dimensional teams are vulnerable. Think how super the Pats looked during the first few weeks this year as an all-passing team. Not so much now.

You and I are old enough to remember when good teams were good on both sides of the ball, if one unit had an off day the other was good enough to carry through.

There are no teams like that this year, so everybody's vulnerable and it's all a bit of a craps shoot.

But you are right, among the teams as they are, the Packers look like the best so they have to be the favorites.

Happily though they are in the other conference so we don't have to worry about them. All we have to do is get to the SB against them, let Rex innovate some surprises for the one game, then put trophy on the shelf. :-)

Tutor

Nov 12, 2011, 1:13:26 AM11/12/11
On Nov 9, 8:43 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wasn't sure who to root for yesterday. If the Jets are a tight
squeeze for a wildcard, you'd rather the Raiders take that division
and us beat San Diego in a tie breaker. The Jets winning the East but
finishing with the same record as Oakland could mean losing a bye but
I can live with losing a bye easier than missing the playoffs
entirely. I want a home game dammit.

Tutor

Nov 12, 2011, 1:18:01 AM11/12/11
On Nov 10, 5:14 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo" <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote in message
The packers are a scoring machine without a running game.

Tutor

Nov 12, 2011, 1:20:13 AM11/12/11
On Nov 10, 6:28 pm, Johnny Morongo <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 2:14 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
>

> > "Johnny Morongo"<Moro...@Burf.com>  wrote in message
> Please.  Before I die.- Hide quoted text -

Someone had to say it. Add a Jets Championship to the bucket list.
Always figured that meant immortality.

Tutor

Nov 12, 2011, 1:26:21 AM11/12/11
> In which half of the game did they look good?- Hide quoted text -

I like having Burress when the Jets get in the red zone. He is very
hard to defend.

oldn...@mindspring.com

Nov 12, 2011, 6:00:53 AM11/12/11
On Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:18:01 AM UTC-5, Tutor wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:14 pm, "Papa Carl"
> wrote:
> > "Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
Or a defense.

Ritchie

Nov 12, 2011, 11:38:34 AM11/12/11
And a team w/o any defense!

Papa Carl

Nov 12, 2011, 12:11:04 PM11/12/11

"Ritchie" <ritch...@gmail.com> wrote in message
My only point was the League is becoming an offensive program...with the
rules, and the decisions favoring the offense the team that can score at
will can win.

oldn...@mindspring.com

Nov 12, 2011, 8:01:12 PM11/12/11
On Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:11:04 PM UTC-5, Papa Carl wrote:
> "Ritchie" <ritch...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 12, 1:18 am, Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 10, 5:14 pm, "Papa Carl"
> wrote:
> >

> > > "Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
It's becoming a passing league for sure.

But scoring is not up a whole lot. (The scoring explosion at the start of this season ended after week 4, since then it's dropped back down to the same level as the last 10 years.)

Teams have substituted passing for running, they are passing when they used to run on a very large scale.

But passing is up much more than scoring.

Heck, I just looked it up, as is my wont. Average scoring per team per game...

2011, weeks 6 to 9: 21 pts

2006 to 2011: 21.6

1981 to 1985: 21.1

and for that matter...

1961 to 1965: 22.2

Johnny Morongo

Nov 12, 2011, 9:29:58 PM11/12/11
>> then WE could take Mr. Rogers& Co.
>>
>> Please. Before I die.- Hide quoted text -

> In which half of the game did they look good?

Were you not watching the first drive? Twas a thing of beauty, up to
the bone head's interception. And did you see a lot of flaws in the 2nd
half?

Johnny Morongo

Nov 12, 2011, 9:31:09 PM11/12/11
>> then WE could take Mr. Rogers& Co.
>>
>> Please. Before I die.- Hide quoted text -

> Someone had to say it. Add a Jets Championship to the bucket list.
> Always figured that meant immortality.

Well, for some of us anyway.

Hammer

Nov 12, 2011, 11:04:12 PM11/12/11
> half?- Hide quoted text -

I watched the whole game. My point was that in the first half they
weren't so good. The first drive could have been great but. The Jets
for the past couple of years have had trouble getting the O started.
Against a really good team that won't cut it.

Johnny Morongo

Nov 13, 2011, 12:04:36 AM11/13/11
Sorry, we have a difference of opinion about the O, in particular about
the 1st half. Not only did it produce a couple of nice drives but it
was it considerably smoother, less herky jerky, which, AFAIC, has been a
Schott trademark lo these many years.

And what really good team, aside for maybe the Giants, do the Jets face
after New England? And when we do get together, do you think that Eli
has what it takes to defeat the Jets top flight DBs in a 4th Q comeback?
Keep in mind who the Pats were running out there. Be a big
difference, IMHO.

If only...