Re: O'Connell cut... Clemens takes pay cut...

Message has been deleted

MZ

Aug 31, 2010, 1:49:02 PM8/31/10
buRford wrote:
> According to Cimini...
>
> "QB Kevin O'Connell is waived. That means Kellen Clemens makes the team as the No. 3 QB.
> Kellen Clemens says he took pay cut to ensure roster spot. "If I didn't, they were going
> to cut me." Clemens had been granted permission to speak to other teams. Decided Jets were
> still best option as No. 3 QB."
>
> Smart move by Clemens, & the Jets.

Really worked out well for the Jets. Usually players reject pay cuts
and take their chances on the market. Woody saved money here that he
can then use to sign or extend more players...err, I mean, that he can
use to buy another luxury car.

Message has been deleted

MZ

Aug 31, 2010, 2:34:51 PM8/31/10
buRford wrote:
> A bunch of Jets players have taken cuts to stay.
> Off the top of my head, Clemens, Gholston, Coleman, & I think at least one other, I can't
> think of right now.
>
> Reading the tea leaves, are the Jets are tightening their belts, in order to cave to
> Revis?
> Hope not.

I think Gholston's was just a restructure.

papa.carl44

Aug 31, 2010, 3:42:20 PM8/31/10

"MZ" <ma...@nospam.void> wrote in message

I think he took a cut...I think I heard him say it and Rex too. To me, this
looks like what I've suspected for a long time...Woody is cheap and a
typical control freak with anything that involves a dime of his money even
if he knows nothing about the subject. I also suspect this is some "team"
effort to come up with bucks to cave to Revis.

MZ

Aug 31, 2010, 3:45:12 PM8/31/10

I thought we discussed the Gholston thing in here and that the
conclusion was that it converted future salary to guaranteed money?

JKConey

Aug 31, 2010, 3:58:42 PM8/31/10

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

and they spent $2500 on the magician!

--
JK Sinrod
www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Harlan Lachman

Aug 31, 2010, 4:46:47 PM8/31/10
In article <TIednZjK07iBxuDR...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

> I also suspect this is some "team"
> effort to come up with bucks to cave to Revis.

I hope this is not the reason. Let him Retire.

harlan

Ray O'Hara

Aug 31, 2010, 5:36:06 PM8/31/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Smart move by Clemens, & the Jets.
>
> They are watching their dollars; first Coleman & now Clemens gets
> taken to the woodshed.
>
> What I don't get is what moron felt the need to trade a 7th rounder
> for this guy?

it helps explain Revis's motivation.

papa.carl44

Aug 31, 2010, 5:40:16 PM8/31/10

"JKConey" <jkc...@verizon.net> wrote in message

LOL...but the magician had a babe with him.

Message has been deleted

MZ

Aug 31, 2010, 6:49:00 PM8/31/10
buRford wrote:
> Rex said he took a cut.

I'm not sure I'd view it that way. I just looked it up. They
guaranteed a bunch of money in the form of a signing bonus and
effectively canceled his last two years in exchange.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d817cecb6/article/jets-rework-gholstons-deal-which-opens-door-for-release-in-2011

Message has been deleted

John C TX

Sep 1, 2010, 9:33:03 AM9/1/10
On Aug 31, 2:42 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "MZ" <m...@nospam.void> wrote in message

> > buRford wrote:

Papa, I think it is Tannenbaum. He saw first hand what bad cap work
did at the end of Parcell's regime. I think he is like a squirrel
picking up cap space every chance he gets.

John C TX

Sep 1, 2010, 9:49:43 AM9/1/10
btw I understand the logic of cutting O'Connell prior to the Raven's
game prep begins but does that meant the 1st team is already training
for the Ravens?
Message has been deleted

John C TX

Sep 1, 2010, 12:36:59 PM9/1/10
On Sep 1, 10:26 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> So, you're saying squirrels make the best capologists?
> Interesting hypothesis ;)

I didn't say he was good that will be determined with Harris & Revis
and what our cap space will looks like. Squirrels make good road
kill. Rats with god PR.

If I was in the player's union I would want two caps if they had one
for teams. I would have a 2nd on individuals. If I am a guard then I
don't want the tackles & QB eating up all the cap space.