FOers rates the Henne-Sanchez duet.

Grinch

Dec 14, 2010, 3:32:28 PM12/14/10
QB performances of the week rated and ranked:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2010/week-14-quick-reads

[rank, name, yards produced compared to the number expected from a
replacement-level quality QB]

#28 Chad Henne, -105.

Henne did a wonderful job of keeping the Jets in the game on Sunday.
After throwing a touchdown pass to Brandon Marshall, Henne threw an
incomplete pass and then had a five-yard completion. He followed that
with three consecutive sacks, including one lost fumble. He completed
a pass for 28 yards to Anthony Fasano, then lost the ball again on an
aborted snap.

Obviously frustrated by the whole endeavor, he threw seven straight
incompletions, took a sack, had another incompletion, and was sacked
again to finish the day.

It's not like he was throwing bombs, either; outside of a 36-yard
incompletion to Marshall, each of those eight incompletions at the end
traveled eight yards or less.

#29 Mark Sanchez, -108

On one hand, you have Santonio Holmes dropping a perfectly reasonable
pass in the end zone in the second quarter. Unlucky. On the other
hand, the Jets recovered three of Sanchez's four fumbles on sacks,
including both of his fumbles on the final drive.

He ended up with just one interception on the day, a testament to the
trickiness of catching footballs when you're not paid to do so. Sean
Smith could have had three picks alone.

Through the first ten weeks of charting, Sanchez had 10 dropped
interceptions, more than anyone in the league (the other 31 teams
averaged 3.5 dropped picks). If he can play as poorly as he did today
and still be lucky, how bad is it going to be if he plays like this
and isn't lucky?

It's not that Sanchez is incompetent, because he's perfectly capable
of making great throws. It's that his variance is downright
incredible; he can look like the best quarterback in the league on one
play and look like a college freshman on the very next one.
~~~~~

FWIW

papa.carl44

Dec 14, 2010, 4:53:56 PM12/14/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Well, for what it's worth....that analysis would, should only point to one
thing. When you have a "perfectly capable" QB who can make "great throws"
but is incredibly inconsistent it usually points back to the coaching. Of
course I expect an argument here, but once again, I can only respond from my
experience. That was my experience for a long time, seeing players who were
perfectly capable and doing great things not perform because they had poor
coaching and poor design of the things they were being asked to do. I don't
care how you cut it....if a player is capable of doing it....it is the JOB
of the coaching staff to get him to do it on a consistent basis. Isn't it
interesting that seeminly none of the Jets play well on a consistent basis.
Some more than others, but that, to me at least, appears to be an issue with
the team. I really wish someone would design a scheme that plays to
Sanchez's stregnths and not try to fit a square peg into a round hole. For
his own sake, I hope he gets traded and has a good career with a coach who
knows how to use him. Now Henne....I don't think there is too much there to
work with...he showed some signs at one point, not much anymore.

Grinch

Dec 16, 2010, 8:30:27 PM12/16/10
Advance NFL Stats now rates weekly performance:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstatsWeek.php?week=14&pos=QB

Uh, oh .... FOers was kind.

This gives both QBs enough negative credit to lose the average game
each all by his own self.

Well, I guess that's why we use competition to sort these things
out. :-(

==========

papa.carl44

Dec 17, 2010, 8:59:24 PM12/17/10

Advance NFL Stats now rates weekly performance:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstatsWeek.php?week=14&pos=QB

Uh, oh .... FOers was kind.

This gives both QBs enough negative credit to lose the average game
each all by his own self.

Well, I guess that's why we use competition to sort these things
out. :-(

Henne has played poorly enough now, not even showing a hint of something
good to come, he should be done I would guess....I would like to have seen
how Pennington would have finished their season for them.