Re: Funny article about the Jets...

Message has been deleted

MZ

Aug 26, 2010, 12:52:49 AM8/26/10
buRford wrote:
> Funny, because the analysis is so factually incorrect. Like this gem...
> "They had Alan Faneca, another great vet who decided to go elsewhere."
> Or this:
> "They also possess one of the best offensive lines, but the rest of their offense is
> pretty much a joke." Yeah, Cotchery, Braylon, Holmes, Greene, Keller, LT are all JAGs ;)

I don't think the second comment is as silly as it appears at first.
Cotchery and Keller are established. We know what they can do in this
system. But there's a hell of a lot of question marks with the rest of
the group, and it starts with the guy throwing the ball and his coach.
I honestly have no frickin' clue how the Jets will fare on offense this
year. We know the defense is going to be good -- top 5 guaranteed. But
offensively, I wouldn't be shocked if they were in the top 10 or the
bottom 10. And if they're in the bottom 10, it won't be because of the
line.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 26, 2010, 1:29:55 AM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 9:00 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> [...]

> If you look back at last season, you will noticed that they mainly ran the ball, and a
> large sum of their yards came from the ground game. They didn't have exceptional running
> backs either. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington were good, and Shonn Greene was emerging as
> an every down back, but none of them were among the crop of the league's best.
>
> Yet they had one of the deadliest ground games in the league. Why?
>
> It was all because of those five big guys who controlled the whole offense. The offensive
> lineman are nearly always overlooked when a team succeeds. If Mark Sanchez was drafted by
> a team like the Buccaneers, who have a pretty weak offensive line, success would have been
> much harder to come by.
>
> It is tough for a rookie quarterback to make accurate throws and good decisions when the
> defense is in the backfield nearly every play. The protection Sanchez had helped him to
> become a better, more comfortable quarterback. He did throw 20 picks last season. So
> imagine how many he would have thrown if he had a bad offensive line and was pressured to
> make a lot more throws.
>
> This season, the Jets added more weapons to the table by adding veteran running back
> Ladainian Tomlinson, safety Brodney Pool, wide receiver Santonio Holmes, and cornerback
> Antonio Cromartie. This could make the Jets a little more of a threat this season.
>
> To be perfectly honest, the Jets are very much overrated due to their playoff success last
> season. I'm not saying that they are bad, but too many people are shooting the gun and
> calling them a surefire playoff contender. They have yet to prove themselves this season.
>
> They are bringing back a very strong defense, one which can keep them in a lot of games.

> They also possess one of the best offensive lines, but the rest of their offense is pretty
> much a joke. It's really hard to imagine a team with these kind of offensive options being
> called one of the best teams in the league.
>
> They also possess one of the worst special teams units. They have the absolute worst
> punter in the league and a pretty mediocre kicker. They do have a decent return man in
> Brad Smith, but he isn't anything special.
>
> They also have a somewhat overrated coach in Rex Ryan. He did a great job to help them get
> in the playoffs, but other than that, what great things has he done so far in New York?
>
> Honestly, the offensive and defense lines are the real Jets. Mainly, the offensive line
> that allows the Jets offense to function decently.
>
> The defense also keeps a lot of points off of the board, and gives the offense multiple
> opportunities. The Jets are a prime example of how a team that lacks star power on the
> offensive end can still be a very good team when they perform well.
>
> I'm interested to see the outcome of the Jets season this year. They can very easily be
> 6-10 or 11-5. It should be a team that you should keep an eye on.

Having read more 11th grade essays than I care to remember, I can
pretty much peg this one to that level of writing skills and
analysis. As a matter of fact, the whole site (The Bleacher Report)
smacks of junior high amateurism. As always, consider he source.

And you're right. Glenn has disappeared. I too hope he's OK and that
he'll be back, at least when the live bullets start flying.

As for Mark's none too subtle Jets hammerings, I'd consider the
Patophile slant to all his, ahem, even handedness. He's a B & B troll
boy all the way. ;)

Message has been deleted

MZ

Aug 26, 2010, 9:35:28 AM8/26/10

As recently as one year ago, I was telling you guys that you were all
nuts for thinking the Jets wouldn't be any good. I was one of the only
"pro-Jets" people here. I predicted a winning season and playoffs -- I
don't think any of you guys did. Now that the media boat has tipped in
the entire opposite direction, proclaiming the Jets to be the second
coming of Jesus himself, I remain grounded in reality while the rest of
you guys' visions of sugarplums will come crashing to earth in about 6
weeks. I can't wait, because the doom and gloom posts are gonna be
waaay over the top this year. Those posts will interact with JetsLife's
posts and create a tornado.

John C TX

Aug 26, 2010, 9:37:40 AM8/26/10

Sanchez is a worry. What gives me hope is that he picks were just
stupid & not bad throws although in game 1 he threw a pick & game 2
nearly threw a pick.

The Faneca departure leaves a hole that may or may not be filled.
Maybe the surge in the line that the new guard provides will offset
anything that Faneca brought to the table.

John C TX

Aug 26, 2010, 9:38:12 AM8/26/10

> Having read more 11th grade essays than I care to remember,

I aspire to that lofty goal one day.

Michael

Aug 26, 2010, 9:51:12 AM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 12:00 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> at tackle and Vladimir Ducasse will most likely start at guard.
> Ducasse is the only guy on the line who isn't exceptional.

Ducasse ?!?!? The likely starter ?!?!? Good example of a commentator
that has not been following thigs very closely.

John C TX

Aug 26, 2010, 11:55:59 AM8/26/10

Did you have to do that? Really, is this you or has Beiselbub got on
your computer? You are just a mean man. Next you will call me a
projectionist & although I go to movies I never worked in one. I did
however bump into Johnny & buRf sitting in raincoats next to Paul
Reubens.

Our season is in the hands of our defense & Sanchez. If he can be
average our offense will be good.

MZ

Aug 26, 2010, 12:06:48 PM8/26/10

The season draws nigh. AFC East sportsmanship must begin. Gloves are off.

Nah, I'm totally on the Dolphins bandwagon this year.

Copp

Aug 26, 2010, 11:08:57 AM8/26/10
In article <m5pb76dq1a3jq4fha...@4ax.com>

buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> "They also possess one of the best offensive lines, but the rest of their offense is
> pretty much a joke." Yeah, Cotchery, Braylon, Holmes, Greene, Keller, LT are all JAGs ;)

Last year, the Jets offense finished:

Yds/game 5136 20th
Pts 348 17th

That's *below* average in both categories. So that means
they aren't even as good as JAGs.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 26, 2010, 1:26:40 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 6:38 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having read more 11th grade essays than I care to remember,
>
> I aspire to that lofty goal one day.

And here I thought that you had already gotten your GED.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 26, 2010, 1:30:24 PM8/26/10

It wasn't me. I only have a poncho, not a raincoat. And BTW, what
were you doing in that theater?

Johnny Morongo

Aug 26, 2010, 1:33:30 PM8/26/10

You're just working off your Parcells hangover from back in his Pats
days. Get yourself a cup of coffee and some Midol. Should take care
of the problem.

Michael

Aug 26, 2010, 2:56:20 PM8/26/10
> posts and create a tornado.- Hide quoted text -

huh ??? did you read any of my posts ??? the moment the jets hired
ryan i have been saying it would be a rebirth. i called him the best
man on the planet to be the jets coach. and.. since then... and
recently too... i have also been saying that i'm not sure the jets
will winn so many gams, but i am sure they will be lots of fun and
entertaining. i'd imagine they will win between 9 and 11 games. the
only thing i am POSTIVE about is that they are gonns sweep the
dolphins.

John C TX

Aug 26, 2010, 3:27:17 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 12:30 pm, Johnny Morongo

I was sitting in front dressed like Abe Lincoln.

MZ

Aug 26, 2010, 3:31:19 PM8/26/10

I don't remember what you said last year. My point was that last year I
was one of the most positive ones here in a sea of negativity, but no
one thought THAT was a Patophile slant. :)

It's ok. I'll embrace my Patophilia. Pats will take the division.
Dolphins put up a fight and finish 10-6. Jets go 9-7. Have at it!

Michael

Aug 26, 2010, 3:39:41 PM8/26/10
> Dolphins put up a fight and finish 10-6.  Jets go 9-7.  Have at it!- Hide quoted text -

i'm expecting the pats to win the div. i'm expecting the jets to get
one of the wc spots. im expecting the fish to go 8-8

Johnny Morongo

Aug 26, 2010, 4:21:27 PM8/26/10

My two cents: I'll flip your predicted finish, Patophile, i.e., the
Jets win the division,via tie breakers, the Fins next at 10-6 and the
Pats trail at 9-7.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Copp

Aug 27, 2010, 9:12:50 AM8/27/10
In article <fc97f4ee-b622-44a3...@l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>

Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:

> i'm expecting the pats to win the div. i'm expecting the jets to get
> one of the wc spots. im expecting the fish to go 8-8

I expect Miami to be the surprise this year.

Miami 10-6
Pats 9-7
Jets 7-9

The schedule is brutal this year. The Pats defense is so
bad, it might be worse than 9-7.

MZ

Aug 27, 2010, 9:35:03 AM8/27/10

Pats D is better than they were last year, and they went 10-5.

Michael

Aug 27, 2010, 10:44:16 AM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 9:35 am, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> Copp wrote:
> > In article <fc97f4ee-b622-44a3-a64a-99c0f863c...@l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
> Pats D is better than they were last year, and they went 10-5.- Hide quoted text -

pats defense looked to me like it improved. spikes looked as good as
he did in college. the three guys the got up front looked to do a
nice job stuffing things up even without ty warren. other than
getting caught behind his assignment in shallow routs, mccourty looks
like he's the full skill set. biggest surprise was chung. i'd all
but wrote him off as anything other than a 1st down ss or big nickel.
he was one of the best looking db's on the field. when the first team
was in, as usual, they called the perfect set at the right time. not
exciting, but quietly efficient and logical. of course the big
problem was the outside pressure. olb is the only weakness. though,
i'm betting bb secretly covets ryans mojo and plans to overload it a
bit for himself every now and again to make up for his dull olbs

MZ

Aug 27, 2010, 11:01:07 AM8/27/10

Mostly agree, but I think the other big problem is the defensive line.
In particular, the interior pass rush is bad. This isn't any different
from last year though. But it definitely exacerbates the problem at
OLB. This is probably why we're seeing so much blitzing this year.
Last year they had the same problems at OLB and interior rush, but
didn't quite have the secondary to pull off the blitzing thing.

Michael

Aug 27, 2010, 11:11:37 AM8/27/10
> didn't quite have the secondary to pull off the blitzing thing.- Hide quoted text -

well.. there is gonna be more blitzing, i'd guess... i cant imagine
how they would make up for the lack of talented rush guys. i'd like
to know if bb is gonna try economical zone blitzing or if he is gonna
make like rex and spool up an 8 man melee

Johnny Morongo

Aug 27, 2010, 12:35:15 PM8/27/10
On Aug 26, 8:21 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:30:24 -0700 (PDT), Johnny Morongo
> He said he bumps into people... think Larry Craig ;)

I knew it was JC in that other stall. Gets around, that one does.

Copp

Aug 27, 2010, 9:47:44 PM8/27/10
In article <XO-dnWuVlPKVIurR...@giganews.com>
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

> Copp wrote:
> > I expect Miami to be the surprise this year.
> >
> > Miami 10-6
> > Pats 9-7
> > Jets 7-9
> >
> > The schedule is brutal this year. The Pats defense is so
> > bad, it might be worse than 9-7.
> >

> Pats D is better than they were last year, and they went 10-5.

You are joking, right? The Pats D couldn't even stop the Rams
(*the 1-15 Rams*) second stringers last night!

euphy

Aug 27, 2010, 10:02:36 PM8/27/10

How are your guys doing against those 4 - 12 Redskins?

MZ

Aug 27, 2010, 11:57:28 PM8/27/10

Oh. A preseason game. Good point.

Copp

Aug 28, 2010, 9:11:09 AM8/28/10
In article <BsKdnYl7XNW3FOXR...@giganews.com>

MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

> > You are joking, right? The Pats D couldn't even stop the Rams
> > (*the 1-15 Rams*) second stringers last night!
>
> Oh. A preseason game. Good point.

The Jets, in a preseason game against the Giants, gave up 362
yds to them. The Patriots, in a preseason game against the RAMS
and a ROOKIE qb, gave up 462 yds to them.

MZ

Aug 28, 2010, 9:34:45 AM8/28/10

I'm trying like hell to draw a meaningful conclusion from this, but I
just can't. So the Jets '10 defense is the Pats '09 defense, is that
what you're saying?

Copp

Aug 29, 2010, 1:11:43 PM8/29/10
In article <BsKdnYt7XNXqjeTR...@giganews.com>

MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:
> > The Jets, in a preseason game against the Giants, gave up 362
> > yds to them. The Patriots, in a preseason game against the RAMS
> > and a ROOKIE qb, gave up 462 yds to them.
>
> I'm trying like hell to draw a meaningful conclusion from this, but I
> just can't. So the Jets '10 defense is the Pats '09 defense, is that
> what you're saying?

Ok, I'll spell it out for you: The Jets, in their FIRST preseason
game (the one where you have the least practice playing) held
the Giants, a much better team with experienced quarterbacks,
to fewer yards than the Patriots did to a team that was 1-15
the year previous, and they could stop neither the rookie qb
or the second stringer on that team. What it means is: the Pats
defense isn't very good. It will be adequate against a lot
of teams in the league, but they won't be going to the SB. Okay?
The Jets aren't going anywhere either because of their lack
of skill on the offensive side of the ball, but that's another
thread.

MZ

Aug 29, 2010, 1:28:36 PM8/29/10

So, let me get this straight. You compare the Pats defense to the best
defense in all of football, and you conclude that the Pats D "isn't very
good." Then you compare the Jets offense to one of the best offenses in
all of football, and you conclude that the Jets O isn't very good?

That means, according to your logic, 31 teams in the league have
offenses that aren't very good, and 31 teams in the league have defenses
that aren't very good.

So I guess no one will be going to the super bowl.

MZ

Aug 29, 2010, 1:32:32 PM8/29/10

Also, it's worth pointing out that the Pats D fared well against the
Falcons offense. So, again using your logic, the Rams O must be a lot
better than Atlanta's O.

Dude, don't worry about preseason so much.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 29, 2010, 3:51:19 PM8/29/10
In article <GsCdnb6eNtQvBOfR...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

> Dude, don't worry about preseason so much.

Mark, you ruined my Iverson paraphrase comment. Man, you're talkin about
preseason. Preseason.

Harlan Lachman

Aug 29, 2010, 3:51:51 PM8/29/10
In article <GsCdnb-eNtRaBefR...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

LMAO

Copp

Aug 29, 2010, 9:42:17 PM8/29/10

MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:
> So, let me get this straight. You compare the Pats defense to the best
> defense in all of football, and you conclude that the Pats D "isn't very
> good." Then you compare the Jets offense to one of the best offenses in
> all of football, and you conclude that the Jets O isn't very good?

The Jets are in the discussion because this is the Jets newsgroup.
I wasn't comparing strictly Jets to Pats or Pats to Jets. The Jets
offense sucks by any measure.

> That means, according to your logic, 31 teams in the league have
> offenses that aren't very good, and 31 teams in the league have defenses
> that aren't very good.
>
> So I guess no one will be going to the super bowl.

I'll try one more time. Here are the yards given up by teams in
the preseason:

SD gave up 552 yds to NO

Jac gave up 496 to Philly

NE gave up 462 to St. Louis<-----****

Indy gave up 430 to GB

Sea gave up 421 to GB

Rams gave up 414 to Minn

Det gave up 414 to Cle

Den gave up 409 to Cinc

Hou gave up 409 to NO

Do you see how those numbers make sense, except for one? NO is
on the list twice, GB twice, Philly, Minn? What doesn't fit is
NE giving up 462 to the ST LOUIS RAMS!!!

The Pats are also continuing another bad trend from last year, where
they play great at home and mediocre on the road.

The NE defense hasn't gotten better. It could quite possibly be
worse than last year.

MZ

Aug 29, 2010, 10:57:28 PM8/29/10
Copp wrote:
> Do you see how those numbers make sense, except for one? NO is
> on the list twice, GB twice, Philly, Minn? What doesn't fit is
> NE giving up 462 to the ST LOUIS RAMS!!!

How many yards did they give up to New Orleans? To you, it's ok when
San Diego gives up 552 yards to New Orleans, but when New England shuts
them down it doesn't count. Have you heard the phrase "cherry picking"?

Anyway, it's only preseason.

> The Pats are also continuing another bad trend from last year, where
> they play great at home and mediocre on the road.

Research research research. They played St. Louis in Foxboro.

It was a preseason game.

> The NE defense hasn't gotten better. It could quite possibly be
> worse than last year.

It could be. But probably not. They appear to have upgraded some key
spots. Just about every journalist who covers them agrees.

It's preseason, junior.

Copp

Aug 30, 2010, 9:31:19 AM8/30/10
In article <0KWdnYSSvfOGg-bR...@giganews.com>

MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

> Copp wrote:
> > Do you see how those numbers make sense, except for one? NO is
> > on the list twice, GB twice, Philly, Minn? What doesn't fit is
> > NE giving up 462 to the ST LOUIS RAMS!!!
>
> How many yards did they give up to New Orleans? To you, it's ok when
> San Diego gives up 552 yards to New Orleans, but when New England shuts
> them down it doesn't count. Have you heard the phrase "cherry picking"?
>
> Anyway, it's only preseason.

They gave up 305 yds and won by only 3 points.

> > The Pats are also continuing another bad trend from last year, where
> > they play great at home and mediocre on the road.
>
> Research research research. They played St. Louis in Foxboro.
>
> It was a preseason game.

Omigod, the defense played so poorly I assumed they were road games,
and I was looking right at the box score. If they are doing this at
home...THEY TOTALLY SUCK!!!!!!!

> > The NE defense hasn't gotten better. It could quite possibly be
> > worse than last year.
>
> It could be. But probably not. They appear to have upgraded some key
> spots. Just about every journalist who covers them agrees.

Ooooh, every journalist. The same ones who didn't think they
had a chance in SB 36, and who thought the Carolina defensive line
would overwhelm the Pats in SB 38?

> It's preseason, junior.

Checkaroonee, Bonzo.

MZ

Aug 30, 2010, 9:36:32 AM8/30/10
Copp wrote:
> In article <0KWdnYSSvfOGg-bR...@giganews.com>
> MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:
>> Copp wrote:
>>> Do you see how those numbers make sense, except for one? NO is
>>> on the list twice, GB twice, Philly, Minn? What doesn't fit is
>>> NE giving up 462 to the ST LOUIS RAMS!!!
>> How many yards did they give up to New Orleans? To you, it's ok when
>> San Diego gives up 552 yards to New Orleans, but when New England shuts
>> them down it doesn't count. Have you heard the phrase "cherry picking"?
>>
>> Anyway, it's only preseason.
>
> They gave up 305 yds and won by only 3 points.

They gave up 7 first half points. Then came the scrubs.

>>> The Pats are also continuing another bad trend from last year, where
>>> they play great at home and mediocre on the road.
>> Research research research. They played St. Louis in Foxboro.
>>
>> It was a preseason game.
>
> Omigod, the defense played so poorly I assumed they were road games,
> and I was looking right at the box score. If they are doing this at
> home...THEY TOTALLY SUCK!!!!!!!

Yeah, oops.

>>> The NE defense hasn't gotten better. It could quite possibly be
>>> worse than last year.
>> It could be. But probably not. They appear to have upgraded some key
>> spots. Just about every journalist who covers them agrees.
>
> Ooooh, every journalist. The same ones who didn't think they
> had a chance in SB 36, and who thought the Carolina defensive line
> would overwhelm the Pats in SB 38?

Nope. Not the same ones.