Jets preview via PFR.com

Grinch

Sep 10, 2011, 8:32:21 PM9/10/11

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9248

The gist...

Upside: Defense looks more improved than most people think over last year's, which was plenty good to start with.

Downside: "In the pasisng game, 'third-year Mark Sanchez' should be better than versions 1.0 and 2.0. But what about his targets?

"Adding Holmes made the offense much more explosive in 2010, but replacing Edwards, Cotchery and Brad Smith with Burress, Mason and rookie Jeremy Kerley is the big wildcard. I view that as a noticeable downgrade, but the front offense and some fans seem to think the Jets got stronger at receiver. If the front office is right, the Jets' passing game will continue to improve and put the team in position to reach all of its goals.

"But I don't think Burress will provide the production that Edwards did last season, and it's hard to imagine Kerley contributing as impressively as Brad Smith has over the past few seasons. Derrick Mason had a better career than Cotchery, but Mason will be 38 before the Super Bowl. Is he going to be better than Cotchery was at ages 27 and 28?

"Simply put, the offensive line and the wide receiver group look worse entering 2011 than they did entering 2010, while the running game comes with more question marks.

"The only hope for the offense? An emergence by Mark Sanchez into an above-average quarterback. Considering Sanchez ranked 29th out of 32 quarterbacks in net yards per attempt in 2010, there is obviously lots of room for improvement..."

Papa Carl

Sep 10, 2011, 9:14:29 PM9/10/11

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm right on with this....totally. I think losing Edwards and Cotch and
getting Burress and Mason is a downgrade not to mention new targets for a
very shaky QB to develop with.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 10, 2011, 10:34:47 PM9/10/11

How many times will we have to concede that Sanchez has to improve? We
get that. Shut up already. But given that, when are you going to
concede that Schitty has to improve as a play caller too? And when are
you going to acknowledge that it was the DEFENSE that dropped the ball
as often as not, especially in the 1st half against the Steelers?

Papa Carl

Sep 10, 2011, 11:09:27 PM9/10/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message

Didn't you know Johnny? That first half defense against the Steelers was
Sanchez' fault.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 11, 2011, 12:31:13 AM9/11/11
In article
<093e1f07-fe46-4341...@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com
>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> and it's hard to imagine Kerley contributing as impressively as Brad Smith
> has over the past few seasons

Since Brad Smith would never be mistaken for a capable WR, I find it
hard to imagine that Kerely could not be more valuable to the Jets.

He actually looks as good at the Wildcat, but I dismiss the wildcat as a
gimmick we can use if Sanchez goes down.

harlan

Grinch

Sep 11, 2011, 12:32:44 AM9/11/11
On Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:34:47 PM UTC-4, Johnny Morongo wrote:
> On 9/10/2011 5:32 PM, Grinch wrote:
> >
> > http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9248
> >
> > The gist...
> >
> > Upside: Defense looks more improved than most people think over last year's, which was plenty good to start with.
> >
> > Downside: "In the pasisng game, 'third-year Mark Sanchez' should be better than versions 1.0 and 2.0. But what about his targets?
> >
> > "Adding Holmes made the offense much more explosive in 2010, but replacing Edwards, Cotchery and Brad Smith with Burress, Mason and rookie Jeremy Kerley is the big wildcard. I view that as a noticeable downgrade, but the front offense and some fans seem to think the Jets got stronger at receiver. If the front office is right, the Jets' passing game will continue to improve and put the team in position to reach all of its goals.
> >
> > "But I don't think Burress will provide the production that Edwards did last season, and it's hard to imagine Kerley contributing as impressively as Brad Smith has over the past few seasons. Derrick Mason had a better career than Cotchery, but Mason will be 38 before the Super Bowl. Is he going to be better than Cotchery was at ages 27 and 28?
> >
> > "Simply put, the offensive line and the wide receiver group look worse entering 2011 than they did entering 2010, while the running game comes with more question marks.
> >
> > "The only hope for the offense? An emergence by Mark Sanchez into an above-average quarterback. Considering Sanchez ranked 29th out of 32 quarterbacks in net yards per attempt in 2010, there is obviously lots of room for improvement..."
> >

> How many times will we have to concede that Sanchez has to improve? We
> get that. Shut up already.

Johnny, that's PRF.com, not me, about the whole Jets offense, only the last sentence about Sanchez (who is part of it), sorry you didn't like it.

In the future when there's analysis of the Jets somewhere maybe I'll just post the link instead of quoting any of it, to avoid offending.

> But given that, when are you going to
> concede that Schitty has to improve as a play caller too? And when are
> you going to acknowledge that it was the DEFENSE that dropped the ball
> as often as not, especially in the 1st half against the Steelers?

You talkin' to me?

During the last part of last year, who was going on here about how the Jets D had collapsed from the top to the bottom of the league in yards per catch, giving up one big play after another leading to the late losses?

E.g., when they blew the 4th Q 23-7 lead to Houston, and everybody was of course damning Schott up and downn for it, *who* futilely tried to remind all that it was the *defense* that blew the 23-7 lead in those few minutes (and the Schitty O that scored a TD with ten seconds left to pull the game out anyhow)?

And if you can find anywhere where I gave the D a pass while blaming Sanchez for the Pittsburgh game, feel free to show it to the world.

Hey, feel free to blast me for anything I've ever said -- but it would be nice if I actually said it.

When in doubt, stick with the "child molesting fascist" stuff so you don't so misrepresent me. :-)

Harlan Lachman

Sep 11, 2011, 12:33:55 AM9/11/11
In article <ZfidnVplwYrplvHT...@giganews.com>,
"Papa Carl" <papa...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm right on with this....totally. I think losing Edwards and Cotch and
> getting Burress and Mason is a downgrade not to mention new targets for a
> very shaky QB to develop with.

I was disappointed with the decision to not sign Braylon. I think Cotch
and Smith were not valuable last year as WR. So, it is easy to imagine
either Burress or Mason equaling or bettering those two.

If Cumberland plays instead of giving another mulligan, we are better at
second TE and worse at one WR.

I don't think that will beat us.

Now our OL...

harlan

Michael

Sep 11, 2011, 1:17:03 AM9/11/11

this whole business can be made quite simple.

1. sanchez has problems throwing intermediate range passes (i think
due to his low release point)

2. shotty, no matter who his QB was, displayed the same flaw. to sum
it up, he can see a single play on the chalk board, but he cant grasp
the game real time. he knows the word, but not the song. real
simple.

conclusion. (please pay attention)

sanchez may or may not find a work around.

schotty will NEVER be able to "learn the songs."

michael has spoken :-)

Johnny Morongo

Sep 11, 2011, 1:50:19 AM9/11/11

Yes, you did say that, and I agreed with you, and the Houston game WAS a
good game for the offense, even though was a "pull it outta yer ass"
win as were several others, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's
your stubbornly holding that Schott is somehow a passable OC.

> When in doubt, stick with the "child molesting fascist" stuff so you don't so misrepresent me. :-)

You a fascist? I don't believe it.

Papa Carl

Sep 11, 2011, 1:22:40 PM9/11/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message
Won't argure with that. I liked Cotch because he played with
intensity...not as good as his promise once was, but playing hurt he gave it
his all. Burress is a problem I think, and Mason looks slow to me...from
what I've been able to watch which was not a lot.

Papa Carl

Sep 11, 2011, 1:25:14 PM9/11/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message
A team that can run the Wildcat well...get in to it, out of it...run plays
crisply etc...creates a situation where the defense has to totally change
it's scheme to properly defend it...hence, it is no gimmick.

Grinch

Sep 11, 2011, 5:23:27 PM9/11/11
On Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:17:03 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:

> On Sep 10, 8:32 pm, Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9248
> >
> > The gist...
> >
> > Upside:  Defense looks more improved than most people think over last year's, which was plenty good to start with.
> >
> > Downside:  "In the pasisng game, 'third-year Mark Sanchez' should be better than versions 1.0 and 2.0. But what about his targets?
> >
> > "Adding Holmes made the offense much more explosive in 2010, but replacing Edwards, Cotchery and Brad Smith with Burress, Mason and rookie Jeremy Kerley is the big wildcard. I view that as a noticeable downgrade, but the front offense and some fans seem to think the Jets got stronger at receiver. If the front office is right, the Jets' passing game will continue to improve and put the team in position to reach all of its goals.
> >
> > "But I don't think Burress will provide the production that Edwards did last season, and it's hard to imagine Kerley contributing as impressively as Brad Smith has over the past few seasons. Derrick Mason had a better career than Cotchery, but Mason will be 38 before the Super Bowl. Is he going to be better than Cotchery was at ages 27 and 28?
> >
> > "Simply put, the offensive line and the wide receiver group look worse entering 2011 than they did entering 2010, while the running game comes with more question marks.
> >
> > "The only hope for the offense? An emergence by Mark Sanchez into an above-average quarterback. Considering Sanchez ranked 29th out of 32 quarterbacks in net yards per attempt in 2010, there is obviously lots of room for improvement..."
>
> this whole business can be made quite simple.
>
> 1. sanchez has problems throwing intermediate range passes (i think
> due to his low release point)

No, dude.

Throwing the shortest passes, *behind* the line of scrimmage, Sanchez was dead last in the entire league last year across-the-board -- yeah, even behind Derek Anderson, Quinn, Clausen, and all the other cellar dwellers.

Behind-the-line pass attempts:

------- Comp% ... Yds/a ... Rating
NFL Ave 77.7% ... 5.23 .... 90.4
Sanchez 65.6% ... 2.78 .... 69.3

The guy has just been least-in-the-league at hitting a target. Period. No matter how close.

(He's was relatively better on long passes because he has the arm to air 'em out and, as a few people here noted last year, that enabled Santonio and Edwards to run under them.)

I downloaded all the QB splits from ESPN.com into a spreadsheet and had some fun playing with them.

I wasn't going to post any of those numbers here, because I knew I'd only be damned for using mere facts to dishonestly distract us from what we all know.

But damn, since I've alreadly gotten "F--- you, f--- you, you old, coward quitter of a mother beating, child molesting, commie, nazi, kitten-burner" in the usenet pre-season warmups, oh, what the hell?

Another Sanchez uniqueness: In the entire league he was the only QB who displayed this pattern last year...

Attempts ... Comp %
1 to 10 ... 62.0%
11 to 20 ... 55.3%
21 to 30 ... 51.5%
31 to 40 ... 45.5%

No other QB in the league had a completion % that steadily dropped as he attempted more passes during the game.

All of Sanchez's improvement last year, compared to his first year, came during his first 10 passes per game, when he pumped up his completion % to near the league average.

Looks to me like last year the coaches really worked hard at getting him off to a good start (as Sanchez himself said in the interview I quoted) with reasonable success ... but but after the script for those first passes ran out, it was down down down.

Let's see if he can make that improvement last further into the game this year ... and at least get himself out of the sub-basement in hitting the receivers standing the closest to him.