Re: Leon runs 2 KO's back for TD's in Seahawks win.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Sep 26, 2010, 9:59:49 PM9/26/10

"graybeard" <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:g7nv96tof5f2tbks2...@4ax.com...
> Including one that was a Seattle record for longest KO return. Nope,
> he'll never recover from that injury, right Harlan? How's that McKnight
> pick working out by the way?
> --
> graybeard

Amen.

Glenn Greenstein

Sep 27, 2010, 12:14:31 AM9/27/10
On Sep 26, 7:56 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Including one that was a Seattle record for longest KO return. Nope,
> he'll never recover from that injury, right Harlan? How's that McKnight
> pick working out by the way?
> --
> graybeard

McKnight did not replace Leon, LTII did and I'll take LTII over Leon
any day. To Burfs point, there is no way we would have kept Leon and
traded or LT. As far as Thomas, Greene made Jones expendable, that is
why he was let go.
BTW, Jones finally had a good game today against a horrible 9ers D. I
wouldn't want to be that woman they just hired to interview Singletary
right now.

Message has been deleted

MZ

Sep 27, 2010, 1:41:31 AM9/27/10

Didn't they spend a 4th on McKnight and send Leon away for a 4th?
Didn't they pull the trigger on the Leon deal immediately after they
successfully landed McKnight?

That tells me that McKnight replaced Leon.

Tutor

Sep 27, 2010, 9:09:01 AM9/27/10
On Sep 26, 7:56 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Including one that was a Seattle record for longest KO return. Nope,
> he'll never recover from that injury, right Harlan? How's that McKnight
> pick working out by the way?
> --
> graybeard

First, let me say that I am delighted Leon is doing well. Lee is one
of my favorite all time Jets and I wish him nothing but success. The
issue was the salary Leon was demanding combined with the risk from
the injury. I wish we could have kept him, but in the end, if Leon
was able to perform, there was no way the Jets could meet what would
have been his salary demands at the end of the 2010 season. Thus the
painful choice of sending him to Pete Carroll for just a 4th round
pick. It really hurts, but I understand it. It doesn't help that
McKnight has been a disaster from day one. But the decision to deal
Leon is completely understandable IMO. I don't like it, but I
understand it.

John C TX

Sep 27, 2010, 9:36:17 AM9/27/10

The Jets traded up to draft McKnight sending a 4th & a 6th to Carolina
for Carolina's 4th. We then traded Leon for a 5th & took Conner.

Glenn Greenstein

Sep 27, 2010, 9:49:18 AM9/27/10
On Sep 27, 12:36 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Actually, Connor replaces Leon, since he was the pick we got ;)

Burf, if we took a punter with that pick, would he be the guy that
replaced Leon as well?

Glenn Greenstein

Sep 27, 2010, 9:50:55 AM9/27/10

Leon was seen as a guy that was going to be a #1A RB for us. Did you
really think McKnight was going to get that role over Tomlinson?

MZ

Sep 27, 2010, 10:04:53 AM9/27/10

I don't know what 1A means because Greene was going to be the "starter"
regardless. The point is that bringing McKnight in allowed them to make
Leon expendable. Long before that, I believe, LT and Leon were
teammates and many folks envisioned them playing together.

Bottom line -- if another team selected McKnight before the Jets got the
chance, I think the chances are good that Leon would still be a Jet.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Sep 27, 2010, 10:39:16 AM9/27/10
In article
<d15cce9e-65d7-46ea...@i5g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

And I still like it.

More than $5 mil per year for a kick returner is too pricey. Brad Smith
is doing more for our team than that.

Leon was not going to play here for less $, he had demonstrated his
willingness to hold out and whine, and his wife was even worse.

If he becomes their leading rusher, I will admit I was wrong.

But, I am not holding my breath. [Right now he is the third RB on their
depth chart,
http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawks/depthchart?team=SEA]

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Sep 27, 2010, 10:42:38 AM9/27/10
In article <8KCdnbuG2YMRsz3R...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

Define replace.

The RB are now Shonn Greene and LT.

The KR is Brad Smith

The PR is now Leonhard and Wilson ( who better learn to just turn in up
and go).

McKnight is not on the active roster.

So while your facts are accurate, and I would wager the Jets hoped to
get as much value from brain dead as they got from Leon, the money they
saved by not signing a stupid deal with Leon (and not paying TJ his
salary) was needed to sign other players.

Harlan

MZ

Sep 27, 2010, 10:57:39 AM9/27/10

Why would they have to sign Leon to a stupid deal? They held his rights.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Sep 27, 2010, 12:50:49 PM9/27/10
In article <8KCdnbeG2YN4LT3R...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

See what happened in SD with Vincent J and McNeil for the answer.

Leon expected more from the Jets. Between his disappointment, his agent
and his wife, there was no assurance that holding his rights would mean
much.

Moreover, having an upset player who is limited but liked does not help
in the lockerroom.

MZ

Sep 27, 2010, 1:31:58 PM9/27/10
On 9/27/2010 12:50 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:
> In article<8KCdnbeG2YN4LT3R...@giganews.com>,

McNeil just showed up. And so have all the other RFAs aside from
Jackson and Mankins. I don't think a LW coming off a major injury was
going to hold out like those guys.

Message has been deleted

Tutor

Sep 28, 2010, 12:39:51 AM9/28/10
On Sep 27, 12:12 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:09:01 -0700 (PDT) Tutor <dcat4...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sep 26, 7:56 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >> Including one that was a Seattle record for longest KO return. Nope,
> >> he'll never recover from that injury, right Harlan? How's that McKnight
> >> pick working out by the way?
> >> --
> >> graybeard
>
> >First, let me say that I am delighted Leon is doing well.  Lee is one
> >of my favorite all time Jets and I wish him nothing but success.  The
> >issue was the salary Leon was demanding combined with the risk from
> >the injury.  I wish we could have kept him, but in the end, if Leon
> >was able to perform, there was no way the Jets could meet what would
> >have been his salary demands at the end of the 2010 season.
>
> Funny, that didn't seem to be an issue with the other players we signed
> who are going to be looking for big contracts next year if they have
> good seasons.

> >Thus the
> >painful choice of sending him to Pete Carroll for just a 4th round
> >pick.
>
> It was a 5th round pick, and I believe we sent them a 7th rounder along
> with Leon for it.
> --
> graybeard

ouch. that makes it worse. But I still understand it and don't have
a problem with it. Maybe they knew they were going to get LT to
compliment Greene. I wish Washington well.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

MZ

Sep 28, 2010, 10:01:56 PM9/28/10
On 9/28/2010 5:02 PM, graybeard wrote:
> Tutor, several of your statements above lead me to believe that a number
> of supporters of this trade are basing their opinion on a faulty memory
> of events.
>
> 3/14 - Jets sign Tomlinson to a 2 year contract
> 4/15 - Leon signs 1 year contract
> 4/24 (NFL Draft) - Jets trade 4th& 6th Round picks for Carolina's 4th
> to draft Joe McKnight
> 4/24 (NFL Draft) - Jets trade Leon + 7th Round pick to Seattle for 5th
> Round pick
>
> So you see, they had already signed LT more than a month before they
> traded Washington away. In addition, Tannenbaum was quoted as saying
> that it was "a fair assumption" that they would not have traded Leon if
> McKnight had not been available.
>
> In other words, instead of the current personnel being:
>
> Shonn
> LT
> McKnight
> 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Round draft picks
>
> It could have been:
>
> Shonn
> LT
> Leon
> 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th Round picks

Are you sure that he signed is tender? If so, then that means he wasn't
going to hold out. Jackson and Mankins never signed their tenders, and
therefore aren't under contract. This is why they're holding out
without penalty.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted