Ellis

WaterBoy

Aug 7, 2011, 11:16:36 AM8/7/11
Looks like Shaun Ellis is going to sign with the *Pats*. I for one am not
happy with this move. This guy was consistant for the Jets... He may have
not been the best, but he was always out there...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6841262/shaun-ellis-new-york-jets-sign-new-england-patriots

The AFC East rivalry between New England and New York is getting an added
jolt as longtime Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis will join the Patriots,
pending a physical. Ellis and the Patriots reached agreement on a one-year
deal, according to a league source. The contract is pending a physical,
which is expected to be completed later Sunday. New England has been looking
to upgrade its pass rush and it believes it will do so with the 34-year-old
Ellis, who has played 11 seasons with the Jets after New York picked him
with the 12th overall pick of the 2000 draft.
The Jets had made a one-year offer for the veterans' minimum of $910,000,
according to Ellis' agent, Mitch Frankel.
Ellis has earned respect throughout a career in which he has piled up 72�
sacks, ranking third on the Jets' career list behind Joe Klecko (77�) and
Mark Gastineau (107�). Ellis has been a reliable player, missing just six
games since becoming a starter in 2001. His ability to play all along the
line made him a valuable part of Rex Ryan's aggressive Jets defense. The
Jets used their first-round pick to select Ellis' heir apparent, Muhammad
Wilkerson, who has been working with the starting unit in training camp.
Ryan has praised Wilkerson, saying he expects the former Temple standout to
be the opening-day starter. Ryan had said that he would have liked to bring
back Ellis, although he made it clear that his playing time would be
reduced.

WaterBoy

Johnny Morongo

Aug 7, 2011, 12:28:27 PM8/7/11
On 8/7/2011 8:16 AM, WaterBoy wrote:
> Looks like Shaun Ellis is going to sign with the *Pats*. I for one am
> not happy with this move. This guy was consistant for the Jets... He may
> have not been the best, but he was always out there...

I’m forced to believe that somewhere down the line there is a move
coming. There's too much $$ in untapped cap space for this not to
happen. It's not like with this ruling troika (TRW) to sit on that kind
of dough. I smell something in the air, and no, it's not John's stinky
feet or Burf's bad breath.

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6841262/shaun-ellis-new-york-jets-sign-new-england-patriots

Percy Flage

Aug 8, 2011, 4:22:53 AM8/8/11

Accordind to the Yahoo free agent tracker these are the top WRs available :-

Steve Smith
Randy Moss
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Terrell Owens

If Steve Smith was healthy, he'd have signed by now, same goes for TO.
T.J. Howzmacareer? I don't think so.

So it's going to be Moss.

--
Percy Flage
"Life is too short to have to explain everyday."

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Aug 8, 2011, 5:01:43 PM8/8/11

"JohnC(TX)" <johnct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message
> Johnny, I think we screwed the pooch here. Ellis was by far our best
> Dlineman last year and if they play him at 4-3 end he goes back to the
> position he had the most success at with us.
>
> Do we have $ available under the cap? If not then why didn't we use it on
> Ellis?

Good points....this will haunt them. I thought then and now that D line was
their weakness all last year and they just got rid of the best guy they had
on that line.

graybeard

Aug 9, 2011, 5:18:04 PM8/9/11
On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:16:36 -0400, "WaterBoy" <som...@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>Looks like Shaun Ellis is going to sign with the *Pats*. I for one am not
>happy with this move. This guy was consistant for the Jets... He may have
>not been the best, but he was always out there...

Man, are they ever counting a lot on a rookie from Temple.
--
graybeard

Johnny Morongo

Aug 9, 2011, 9:52:41 PM8/9/11

I hope you're not basing that on the "lack of a pass rush" comments that
are so frequently mouthed in the media, Papa. We weren't all that bad,
and as a matter of fact were ranked 10th in the league in QB sacks last
year. Our D-line was not as abysmal as some people seem to think.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 9, 2011, 9:57:02 PM8/9/11

Apparently everyone from Rex to the other D-linemen to Pettin to the
water boy seems to be VERY impressed with the kid. And Ellis was not
exactly a very good example of "playing like a Jet," or so the
scuttlebutt says.

graybeard

Aug 10, 2011, 10:11:00 AM8/10/11
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:57:02 -0700, Johnny Morongo <Mor...@Burf.com>
wrote:

JM, you are too old of a dog to fall for this kind of puffery anymore.
Maybe the kid is the next coming of Suh, and if he is I will be raising
more than one glass to the perspicacity of Tannenbaum and Ryan, but in
my experience, Suh notwithstanding, a defensive lineman almost never has
much of an impact in his rookie season. It's just too difficult a
transition from running around and through college level offensive
linemen to developing the techniques necessary to deal with pro
blockers.
--
graybeard

eric

Aug 10, 2011, 10:19:53 AM8/10/11
On Aug 7, 12:28 pm, Johnny Morongo <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote:

> I’m forced to believe that somewhere down the line there is a move
> coming.  There's too much $$ in untapped cap space for this not to
> happen.  It's not like with this ruling troika (TRW) to sit on that kind
> of dough.  I smell something in the air, and no, it's not John's stinky
> feet or Burf's bad breath.

Cap room? I really don't think the Jets have any substantial cap room
left.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=66898&page=2

Papa Carl

Aug 10, 2011, 11:09:12 AM8/10/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message

I'm only basing it on what I saw...guys moving backwards and in the clutch
very poor run defense. The sacks come from Rex's schemes...the entire
defense is predicated on his ability to scheme. I'm not saying that is a
bad thing, he's good...but it would be great if he had some serious D
linemen. There is no substitute for the right players.

Michael

Aug 11, 2011, 1:46:05 PM8/11/11
On Aug 10, 11:09 am, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo" <Moro...@Burf.com> wrote in message

> > On 8/8/2011 2:01 PM, Papa Carl wrote:
> >> "JohnC(TX)"<johnctxsj...@gmail.com>  wrote in message

> >> Good points....this will haunt them.  I thought then and now that D line
> >> was
> >> their weakness all last year and they just got rid of the best guy they
> >> had
> >> on that line.
>
> > I hope you're not basing that on the "lack of a pass rush" comments that
> > are so frequently mouthed in the media, Papa.  We weren't all that bad,
> > and as a matter of fact were ranked 10th in the league in QB sacks last
> > year.  Our D-line was not as abysmal as some people seem to think.
>
> I'm only basing it on what I saw...guys moving backwards and in the clutch
> very poor run defense.  The sacks come from Rex's schemes...the entire
> defense is predicated on his ability to scheme.  I'm not saying that is a
> bad thing, he's good...but it would be great if he had some serious D
> linemen.  There is no substitute for the right players.- Hide quoted text -

papa... agree 100 %. take a look at the 85 bears defense... yeah,
there was the 46 scheme, but look who played in that defense...

Richard Dent, Steve McMichael, William Perry, Dan Hampton, Wilbur
Marshal, Singletary, Dave Duerson, Gary Fensic.

That group would be able to wipe the floor with any offense regardless
of what sceme you put them in...

Same deal with the Buckaneers defense that won the superbowl. The
"Tampa 2" defense is over rated as a scheme... It was their players
that had the speed and instincts to make a virtual cover 3 work so
well. espeially the safeties and the mlb that they had behind a line
that had guys who were explosive and aggressive.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 12, 2011, 1:33:04 PM8/12/11
On 8/10/2011 8:09 AM, Papa Carl wrote:

>> I hope you're not basing that on the "lack of a pass rush" comments that
>> are so frequently mouthed in the media, Papa. We weren't all that bad,
>> and as a matter of fact were ranked 10th in the league in QB sacks last
>> year. Our D-line was not as abysmal as some people seem to think.
>
> I'm only basing it on what I saw...guys moving backwards and in the clutch
> very poor run defense. The sacks come from Rex's schemes...the entire
> defense is predicated on his ability to scheme. I'm not saying that is a
> bad thing, he's good...but it would be great if he had some serious D
> linemen. There is no substitute for the right players.

Listening to Rex, he's making sounds like he really thinks that they've
put together some key elements in a roster of "right players." If he's
right, and they have repaired the D-line this year as well as they did
with the back end last year, they'll be more than solid on D. Another
half like the first against Pitt last year is not likely to happen to
the Jets this year.

Yep, I'm drinkin' the Kool Ade. And I'll have the Sunday Ticket for the
first time. Time to relax in the shade. ;)

Johnny Morongo

Aug 12, 2011, 1:50:14 PM8/12/11

Not with standing the fact of my old dogness, I don't know for sure that
Wilk is even going to turn out to be a marginal 1st round pick, but I'll
let Rex make the call. If, considering his experience as a well
respected D-line coach, he had thought that the kid might not cut it on
a line that HAS TO BE Super Bowl quality or bust, and if he thought for
a split second that Ellis would be able to stake out a place on that
line ahead of Wilk, then he would have acted differently.

As to the effectiveness of rookie D-linemen, in this case, all I can say
is, we'll see. I'd like to think that what the players are saying about
not only Wilk but also the other Ellis, Kenrick, is an accurate
reflection of what they're actually capable of.

Papa Carl

Aug 12, 2011, 2:19:38 PM8/12/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message

Is this really you????? Come on, tell the truth...you went to see the
doctor as guys our age often do and he gave you some Zoloft of something
right? We're Jets fans....something has to go wrong :-)

Johnny Morongo

Aug 12, 2011, 2:38:07 PM8/12/11

Right. Sanchez goes down, and the kid from "bama steps in and becomes a
star. :) :)

Papa Carl

Aug 12, 2011, 9:48:49 PM8/12/11

"Johnny Morongo" <Mor...@Burf.com> wrote in message