Gholston contract "restructured"

Michael

Apr 26, 2010, 9:47:13 AM4/26/10
1050 ESPN Reports Vernon Gholston has agreed to restructure his
contract.

I dont know the details, but I doubt the new deal pays him more :-)

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 26, 2010, 9:56:01 AM4/26/10

I also doubt he has given up any guaranteed money

Tutor

Apr 26, 2010, 10:27:15 AM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 9:47 am, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:

Are they restructuring his passion for the game and ability to learn
too?

Ian

Apr 26, 2010, 11:06:01 AM4/26/10

AIUI, he's dropped the guaranteed portion of contract down to $1.5m,
but has the ability to earn *more* than his original contract with
incentives and performance targets.

Paying him $0 basic and letting him earn $0.5m per sack ought to
ignite a little passion.

--
Ian

Michael

Apr 26, 2010, 11:13:51 AM4/26/10

i guess a backloaded contract with performance incentives is the best
thing that they can do in this case... i really hope he can do
somthing for himself and the jets now

Message has been deleted

Ray OHara

Apr 26, 2010, 11:29:16 AM4/26/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

why woould a player ever sign a backloaded deal.
as soon as they get ready to cash in they are offered a restructuring or be
cut.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Apr 26, 2010, 11:32:51 AM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 11:29 am, "Ray OHara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> cut.- Hide quoted text -

if you are in Gholston's shoes now, I think you just take the pen and
sign...

Conroy

Apr 26, 2010, 11:37:02 AM4/26/10
On Apr 26, 11:29 am, "Ray OHara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i guess a backloaded contract with performance incentives is the best
> thing that they can do in this case... i really hope he can do
> somthing for himself and the jets now

> why woould a player ever sign a backloaded deal.
> as soon as they get ready to cash in they are offered a restructuring or be
> cut.

I read that this may have actually been Gholston's idea...

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 26, 2010, 12:34:42 PM4/26/10

No heart is no heart. He is a disaster.

Harlan Lachman

Apr 26, 2010, 7:35:50 PM4/26/10
In article <76cbt55pfnpeq1mmm...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> He actually asked for the restructure. His base salary is less, with
> incentives.
> Does he feel guilty for takin' all that money, & producing nada ;)
>

> Gholston's deal restructured
> By Rich Cimini and Adam Schefter
> ESPNNewYork.com
> Sunday, April 25, 2010
>
> Turns out the New York Jets did more than change Vernon Gholston's position
> for 2010. They
> also took some money from his pocket.
>
> The Jets have restructured Gholston's contract, a source familiar with the
> situation said
> on Sunday. While the specific numbers weren't immediately available, the team
> lowered his
> base salary (originally $1.9 million), with a chance for him to recoup the
> money by
> reaching incentives, a source said.
>
> The important part of the restructuring is this: It ensures that Gholston,
> the
> disappointing first-round pick in 2008, will go to training camp with the
> team and will
> have a chance to earn playing time.
>
> Gholston appeared to be on shaky ground at the end of last season, as the
> organization
> deliberated on whether to give him another season or to cut bait. With it
> being an
> uncapped year, it would've been the ideal time to unload him without a
> salary-cap hit.
> They decided to retain him, but with a different position.
>
> After two seasons at outside linebacker, Gholston was moved recently to
> defensive end,
> where he will play behind Shaun Ellis. The change, first reported by
> ESPNNewYork.com, was
> cemented when they signed free-agent pass rusher Jason Taylor, formerly of
> the Dolphins.
>
> Rex Ryan, who confirmed the move Saturday in his post-draft news conference,
> said Gholston
> at defensive end "will give us the opportunity to be more athletic at the
> position." In
> reality, it puts Gholston one step closer to the door.
>
> Gholston was the sixth overall choice in 2008, and signed a five-year
> contract with $21
> million in guarantees. So far, it looks like one of the worst contracts in
> recent history.
> In two seasons, he has yet to record a sack.
>
> Update: According to HHH and HomeOfTheJets, Gholston, who appeared on the NFL
> Network,
> approached the staff about restructuring the contract. That being the case
> Vernon has
> realized he really hasn’t earned the money and is trying to reach a personal
> goal of
> earning his keep this season.

Another stupid article. The reason for the restructure and the reason
the NFLPA will go along was that it allows Gholston to recover the
incentives he already missed out on.

If he continues to s--ck we play him a lot less. If he plays OK, he does
OK. If he becomes the player he was supposed to, he recovers some of the
incentives he lost.

Both sides can win.

papa.carl44

Apr 26, 2010, 9:19:18 PM4/26/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

If he has a chance of becoming what he was supposed to be...I'm getting back
in shape, I have a chance then too.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Apr 27, 2010, 8:03:22 PM4/27/10
In article
<ae4854c0-1d86-4f23...@c21g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Michael <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote:

Michael, according to one article, one thing he did is take a little
more in salary and move money to incentives so if we cut him at the end
of this season and there is an upset and a next season, his cap hit will
be lesss.