Jenkins back

John C TX

Jun 16, 2010, 9:12:52 AM6/16/10
Good to see this but the end of this column is disturbing. If they
f*** up the off season by the Faneca release it is all on Ryan.

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/jets/jenkins_on_field_again_wNxNRcJzmZFMthCAR2NW2O

Jets' Jenkins on field again

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 4:12 AM, June 15, 2010

While various contract squabbles swirled around them, the Jets were
buoyed yesterday by nose tackle Kris Jenkins' return to the practice
field.

Jenkins, sidelined since last October by a torn ACL in his left knee,
participated fully in workouts for the first time since the surgery
and pronounced himself none the worse for wear.

"It's almost like a reward for everything that I've done so far and
all the work I've put in," Jenkins said of participating in the first
day of a three-day minicamp. "Now I know I'm on the right track and
should be ready to go when training camp rolls around."

Jenkins, who is competing in a weight-loss competition with coach Rex
Ryan and offensive lineman Damien Woody, also has gotten noticeably
thinner, but wouldn't reveal exactly how much. The team continues to
list Jenkins at 360 pounds.

Ryan said the Jets would proceed cautiously with Jenkins, who got some
breathers in the morning practice and didn't take part in 11-on-11
drills in the afternoon.

"We're just kind of breaking him in slowly," Ryan said.

*

Mark Sanchez went through a full practice yesterday morning and
pronounced his surgically repaired left knee good to go.

The Jets are proceeding cautiously by holding Sanchez out of 11-on-11
drills in the two afternoon practices of this minicamp, but they are
encouraged by his apparent progress.

Sanchez did not wear a knee brace and looked fluid.

*

The Jets might be having second thoughts about going with rookie
second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse at left guard in place of recently
released Pro Bowl vet Alan Faneca.

The team had second-year pro Matt Slauson working with the first team
instead of Ducasse, a native of Haiti, and a UMass product who has
only played football for eight years. He practiced with the second
team.

Michael

Jun 16, 2010, 9:24:55 AM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 9:12 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good to see this but the end of this column is disturbing.  If they
> f*** up the off season by the Faneca release it is all on Ryan.

<SNIP>

I'm taking a guess, but I dont think they felt Vlad could start. I'm
thinking they had him with the first team for a while to evaluate him
in with the other starters. If you watch any of Vlad's highlights, he
appears to have a lot of power and leverage, but he is very raw and
even clumsy. I cant imagine the Jets thought he would be a first year
starter. I'm also convinced that Slauson looked so good when he
started last season, the Jets felt good about sending Faneca on his
way. Given all of that, Vlad's move to the second team was an
expected part of an evlauation process. They had Slauson as the
starter all along. There was no real surprise dissapointment in Vlad
as this writer suggests.

papa.carl44

Jun 16, 2010, 11:52:09 AM6/16/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

<SNIP>

I think they are going to find out that they should have kept Faneca around
for a while longer, even if to just be the guy who knows how to do it play
execution wise.

Glenn Greenstein

Jun 16, 2010, 12:26:37 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 11:52 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
+1

Michael

Jun 16, 2010, 12:34:16 PM6/16/10
wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Papa... Faneca was on record saying that he was not asked to take a
pay cut. I think they felt Faneca was so bad they did not want him
back even if he took a 1mm pay cut and got his 2010 pay downt to the
6mm he walked off with. He could not move the pile and he was the
worst pass blocking RG in the NFL.

Do you think Faneca would have been worth keeping as a teacher and
emergency back-up for the extra 1mm if the kept him ?

papa.carl44

Jun 16, 2010, 12:42:31 PM6/16/10

"Glenn Greenstein" <lex...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Looking back, I knew when I was a senior in college that the kid behind me
was bigger and stronger. I also knew I was quicker at the moment and knew
what the Hell I was doing, and he didn't. I got sick before a big game,
really sick with a stomach thing. The kid started in place of me, he lasted
three plays, two screw ups in assignment and I played the rest of the way
and had the best game I ever had. Now, in Faneca's case it is just a
situation of a guy who "knows" what to do, he may have lost the skills to do
it or make it happen, but he can still show you how to do it and even get it
done most of the time in practice...that is huge in a team sport and it's
usually how the younger guys learn.

papa.carl44

Jun 16, 2010, 12:43:31 PM6/16/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Or, if they had asked him to take a cut...we shall see. If neither of these
guys gets the job done, you have your answer.

MZ

Jun 16, 2010, 12:50:05 PM6/16/10

My feeling, and this is based on zero evidence, is that they figured
Slauson is not Adrien Clarke and that Ducasse is a very very intriguing
prospect. So, I think Michael is right in the sense that they probably
have some faith in Slauson, and can count on him to start and not be a
sieve.

But I think their hope all along has been (and still is) that Ducasse
would win the job. I don't buy that they were using Ducasse just to
give him reps. Teams generally don't do that. In fact, rookies often
start low on the depth chart this early because they don't know what the
hell they're doing. Even the first round guys are running with the
scout team a lot of times.

Also, I find it interesting that they waited until they drafted Ducasse
before cutting Faneca. I think they had every intention of keeping him
if they weren't able to land Ducasse.

Michael

Jun 16, 2010, 12:57:57 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 12:43 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
> guys gets the job done, you have your answer.- Hide quoted text -

I dont know if you can say that Faneca got the job done... Slauson was
seen in limited action, so you cant really be sure of him. Still...
Slauson did play well when he was in and Faneca was poor all season.
Faneca threw a few very visable blocks down field, but he is not a WR,
he is a RG. He was poor to awful on the line. I really think they
felt that just about any prospect was a guaranteed advance on Faneca.
I also think that Sanchez life was also a consideration. 6 + Sacks
from a guard is too much.

Michael

Jun 16, 2010, 1:04:19 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 12:50 pm, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> if they weren't able to land Ducasse.- Hide quoted text -

Mark... I would agree with you for sure that they would have liked
Vlad to win the job if not for the Vlad highlights. As much upside as
he has, I cant imagine they felt he could be trained up in such a
short time. I'm not a coach and I did not play organized football but
I a have been watching for a long time and I concentrate on the
lines. Vlad has all the physical tools but he needs a lot of work
before he can play as a starter even as a guard. I cant imagine the
Jets coaches did not see that when they watched him. I think Vlad was
on their minds as the heir apparent to Woody's job. To my eyes, he's
best fit will eventually be as a RT. Again... All just guess work.

MZ

Jun 16, 2010, 1:07:17 PM6/16/10

You might be right that he's raw, but it sure wouldn't be the first time
that a raw rookie lineman won the starting job. Linemen more than
anyone else can contribute as rookies if they work hard and play hard.
Saw it on the Pats last year with a very raw Sebastian Vollmer... also a
2nd rounder.

Glenn Greenstein

Jun 16, 2010, 1:20:35 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 12:42 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Glenn Greenstein" <lexa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Like I said when it happened, for 2 million in an uncapped year, this
made no sense.

Michael

Jun 16, 2010, 1:23:02 PM6/16/10
> 2nd rounder.- Hide quoted text -

I saw Vollmer's early games. Vollmer was green but he was not
awkward. Vlad actually looks awkward. His power below the waist and
leverage in his arms are impressive but for right now, he will get
eaten alive by pro quality d-line guys. When Slauson played, he
looked very clean and had classic movement. Again... It would be
ideal if Vlad can make big strides, but I dont think Vlad played much
into getting rid of Fancea... I think Slauson convinced them that they
coud. Vlad was taken I think to replace Woody in a few years. They
have the time to prep Vlad for that job in may be two more years.

John C TX

Jun 16, 2010, 5:03:42 PM6/16/10
> Like I said when it happened, for 2 million in an uncapped year, this
> made no sense.

Less than $2MM because someone had to replace him.