Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.

Grinch

Oct 12, 2010, 6:47:43 PM10/12/10
But let's not commit suicide by it.

Last night the Jets D was shutting out and totally dominating Minny
well into the second half until trying two big blitzes on 3rd and long
that blew up into one-play TDs, putting Minny right back into the game
and what until then looked like a gimme win at risk.

3rd and 17: TD! 3rd and 19: TD!

I love Rex's big blitzing schemes, he does it better than anybody I've
ever seen, and it improved the quality of the D last season by the
most I've ever seen a D improve in one year.

But somebody tell him that it *is* permissible on 3rd and 17+ when the
clock is on your side to occasionally play contain.

(Especially when the alternative is leaving Moss in single coverage on
a fly pattern.)

Hammer

Oct 13, 2010, 2:46:49 AM10/13/10

Agreed...

CaptMyng

Oct 13, 2010, 6:19:00 AM10/13/10
On Oct 12, 5:47 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:

I'd rather they get burned on occasion than have them go back to the
Mangini all prevent all the time defense.

John C TX

Oct 13, 2010, 9:01:21 AM10/13/10
On Oct 12, 5:47 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:

He didn't leave the secondary in man to man in the 2nd half of the
Pats or vs. MIami.