Jets can't deactivate Edwards

Keith Keller

Sep 21, 2010, 11:29:11 PM9/21/10
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/18629/rules-stop-jets-from-deactivating-edwards

http://tmi.me/1BdfX

(if that's the real Greg Aiello)

So I guess the most the Jets could do is not play Edwards at all for as
long as they think he should be punished.

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Sep 22, 2010, 10:16:25 AM9/22/10
In article <7p9om7x...@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>,
Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/18629/rules-stop-jets-from-deactivat

> ing-edwards
>
> http://tmi.me/1BdfX
>
> (if that's the real Greg Aiello)
>
> So I guess the most the Jets could do is not play Edwards at all for as
> long as they think he should be punished.
>
> --keith

As one of the older members of this NG (age and not participation), and
yet one still łin the throws of parenting˛ (c.f., General Sternwoodąs
line in The Big Sleep), I will raise a different way at looking at
discipline. One I have trouble accepting even as I acknowledge that my
better half is correct.

Braylon Edwards does not need the Jets or Ryan to discipline him. There
are natural consequences to his actions, that will hurt him more than
being suspended or sitting out plays:

He is playing out a one year deal. There is no protection against a lock
out. Whenever the next season is played, he will be a FA. Who is going
to give this guy a very pricey long term deal with guaranteed money? He
will have the potential for being suspended four games if he is caught
drinking, getting in trouble, or taking any drugs. A trifecta of risk of
a guy who could not abstain in a contract year.

In spite of the fact he is the only receiver on the Jets (i.e., until
Holmes gets back) who can create separation, his history of dropsies,
stupid penalties, and taunting penalties mitigate at least to some
extent against his talent.

Regardless of what the Jets do, Braylon will receive (or in this case
not receive) the natural consequences of his actions. IOW, there is no
need for artificial punishment (although as a hard assed man, I love the
humiliation of extra laps, or making others run the laps while the
offender sits).

Harlan