Potential Busts in 2010 First Round Draft

Michael

Feb 26, 2010, 4:04:50 PM2/26/10
Is there a Gholston in the 2010 draft ??? Thus far, I see two possible
busts.

1. Taylor Mays: Safety, USC. Physical perfection with massive speed.
Hits like a truck. Why he could bust... He's not a LB nor can he do
what an NFL safety should do. I saw a few USC games and I think his
coverage skills absolutely suck. So, you'll have a guy out there in
the box that is not quite a LB and has no hope to deal with
receivers. He'd be help in the box for sure on running downs, but
he'd be a liability against the pass most of the time. Care to get
carved up underneath ???

2. Golden Tate: WR Notre Dame. And... Some mocks have the Jets taking
him. Why he may bust. I've seen EVERY single ND game this year.
He's physical and has good hands. Why he may bust... I never... and
I do mean NEVER seen him get any real separation from the defenders.
And we are talking about college here. He'll be in big trouble, I
think going against NFL quality cover men.

Stay away from these two guys, IMHO

papa.carl44

Feb 26, 2010, 9:25:29 PM2/26/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Is there a Gholston in the 2010 draft ??? Thus far, I see two possible
> busts.
>
> 1. Taylor Mays: Safety, USC. Physical perfection with massive speed.
> Hits like a truck. Why he could bust... He's not a LB nor can he do
> what an NFL safety should do. I saw a few USC games and I think his
> coverage skills absolutely suck. So, you'll have a guy out there in
> the box that is not quite a LB and has no hope to deal with
> receivers. He'd be help in the box for sure on running downs, but
> he'd be a liability against the pass most of the time. Care to get
> carved up underneath ???

The thing these type guys can do is play in the seam really well, size
matters there big time and it is usually a TE they are matched up with.

> 2. Golden Tate: WR Notre Dame. And... Some mocks have the Jets taking
> him. Why he may bust. I've seen EVERY single ND game this year.
> He's physical and has good hands. Why he may bust... I never... and
> I do mean NEVER seen him get any real separation from the defenders.
> And we are talking about college here. He'll be in big trouble, I
> think going against NFL quality cover men.
>
> Stay away from these two guys, IMHO

To me....they are all potential busts...nothing is sure

Michael

Feb 27, 2010, 3:38:26 PM2/27/10
On Feb 26, 9:25 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message

agree.... still... with golden tate, he's getting a lot of media
attention as far as his potential to be a big star in the nfl. i have
not heard one single person yet say what i have about him. he gets no
seperation from the db's. in college, even average wr's are often
swimming in open field. average college cb's not goof enough to be in
the draft have been able to blanket him... as for taylor mays... if he
can be taught how to cover, he'll be awesome. if he never learns or
cant, he'll be good in a big nickle but that is about it.

Johnctx

Mar 1, 2010, 10:23:59 AM3/1/10

Papa, truer words have never been spoken and if the NFLPA wasn't
controlled by the agents-- to me the only explanation-- then the system
of paying players who have never done a thing would disappear. That
guys like Jonathan Sullivan probably made more money than Tedy B & Mike
Vrabel is why the system is a mess.

Michael

Mar 1, 2010, 1:57:00 PM3/1/10
On Mar 1, 10:23 am, Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
> papa.carl44 wrote:
> > "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Vrabel is why the system is a mess.- Hide quoted text -

john.. do you think it is possible to change things so guys that have
not gaind a a yard or made a single hit yet in the nfl dont get
bloated deals ???

still... one thing I always think about... if you decide to try to
play pro ball, you are pretty much signing your life over to it and
making a huge sacrafice in time and effort. the ones that make it to
first round in the draft are one in a million literally. like hitting
the lottery i guess... could you deny a one in a million guy that took
such a gamble his big pay off ??? just thinking out loud as usual...

Johnctx

Mar 1, 2010, 3:27:27 PM3/1/10

I wish. The owner's like this system because it is cheaper & less
painful. I think they fear that the pay off to having a harder rookie
cap would be accelerated FA. cap mangement is much easy.

> still... one thing I always think about... if you decide to try to
> play pro ball, you are pretty much signing your life over to it and
> making a huge sacrafice in time and effort. the ones that make it to
> first round in the draft are one in a million literally. like hitting
> the lottery i guess... could you deny a one in a million guy that took
> such a gamble his big pay off ??? just thinking out loud as usual...

I don't begrudge anyone $ whether owners or players. I just want the
best football players on rosters & we don't always get that.

Michael

Mar 1, 2010, 3:51:11 PM3/1/10
> best football players on rosters & we don't always get that.- Hide quoted text -

what bothers me most about the jets... especially the jets of the
1980's. the jets always did have talented and high paid rosters.
they just always found painful ways to screw up. still ... back to
the original subject... with "cant miss" first round prospects going
bust, and late round guys becoming stars, i can see the problems with
a set market value for the first round guys. i guess you can look at
the draft as a poker game for the owners/gm's.

Remy McSwain

Mar 1, 2010, 4:01:06 PM3/1/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message
> Michael wrote:

>> john.. do you think it is possible to change things so guys that
>> have
>> not gaind a a yard or made a single hit yet in the nfl dont get
>> bloated deals ???
>
> I wish. The owner's like this system because it is cheaper & less
> painful. I think they fear that the pay off to having a harder
> rookie cap would be accelerated FA. cap mangement is much easy.

John, I'm not sure you know how the cap works. Once the NFLPA and
the owners agreed to a cap amount, then if the teams paid more money
to the rookies, there would be that much less money available to the
vets. Frankly, that'd be true even without a cap. Even without
one, teams would spend whatever they decided to spend on players,
and so more to one group would mean less to the others. But anyway,
with a cap, it's most definately true.

>> still... one thing I always think about... if you decide to try
>> play pro ball, you are pretty much signing your life over to it
>> and
>> making a huge sacrafice in time and effort. the ones that make
>> it to
>> first round in the draft are one in a million literally. like
>> hitting
>> the lottery i guess... could you deny a one in a million guy that
>> took
>> such a gamble his big pay off ??? just thinking out loud as
>> usual...
>
> I don't begrudge anyone $ whether owners or players. I just want
> the best football players on rosters & we don't always get that.

Do you think any really good football player is ever left out of the
NFL if he wanted to play? There's always some team out there
willing to pay anyone what he's worth. It's just that some players
think they're worth more than what the market would bear.

Johnctx

Mar 1, 2010, 5:24:11 PM3/1/10
Remy McSwain wrote:
> "Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message
>> Michael wrote:
>
>>> john.. do you think it is possible to change things so guys that
>>> have
>>> not gaind a a yard or made a single hit yet in the nfl dont get
>>> bloated deals ???
>> I wish. The owner's like this system because it is cheaper & less
>> painful. I think they fear that the pay off to having a harder
>> rookie cap would be accelerated FA. cap mangement is much easy.
>
> John, I'm not sure you know how the cap works. Once the NFLPA and
> the owners agreed to a cap amount, then if the teams paid more money
> to the rookies, there would be that much less money available to the
> vets. Frankly, that'd be true even without a cap. Even without
> one, teams would spend whatever they decided to spend on players,
> and so more to one group would mean less to the others. But anyway,
> with a cap, it's most definately true.

I do understand. What I am saying is that it is cheaper & less
problematic paying the Gholston's of the world than dealing with 4-7
Leon Washingtons every year. It is risk management and by having more
RFA it benefits the owners. Under teh current system underpaid players
that get hurt are cut.

I am suggesting that the obvious trade off with a rookie cap is
accelerated emancipation

>>> still... one thing I always think about... if you decide to try
>>> play pro ball, you are pretty much signing your life over to it
>>> and
>>> making a huge sacrafice in time and effort. the ones that make
>>> it to
>>> first round in the draft are one in a million literally. like
>>> hitting
>>> the lottery i guess... could you deny a one in a million guy that
>>> took
>>> such a gamble his big pay off ??? just thinking out loud as
>>> usual...
>> I don't begrudge anyone $ whether owners or players. I just want
>> the best football players on rosters & we don't always get that.
>
> Do you think any really good football player is ever left out of the
> NFL if he wanted to play? There's always some team out there
> willing to pay anyone what he's worth. It's just that some players
> think they're worth more than what the market would bear.

Rookies that are cap issues don't get cut. They keep players out of the
league. What they take out as % of cap space keep good players out of
the league as well.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Mar 2, 2010, 3:05:13 AM3/2/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

Absolutely. I think it is a case of far too many easily manipulated young
men not realizing the quick money is killing their chances at a stable
career if they should be one of the good ones....and potentially, a lot more
money in the end.

papa.carl44

Mar 2, 2010, 3:06:31 AM3/2/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Signing your life over to it, making huge sacrifices....sounds like being a
nurse, teacher.....oh, but they don't get the bucks

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 8:50:28 AM3/2/10
graybeard wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:27:27 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>> john.. do you think it is possible to change things so guys that have
>>> not gaind a a yard or made a single hit yet in the nfl dont get
>>> bloated deals ???
>> I wish. The owner's like this system because it is cheaper & less
>> painful...
>
> Not so sure about that John. The owners have proposed a rookie pay scale
> several times, only to have the players union shoot it down.

Gray, now don't go shooting down my conspiracy theory with of all
things,FACTS!

:)

I would love to know the context of the negotiations. Even Gene Upshaw
must have been able to see that getting more money to productive players
is the only fair way.

Hey its 7:50 AM I was due to be incorrect.

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 8:54:45 AM3/2/10

Anyone can teach.

That was a joke but I know I got Johnny's attention.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 10:26:03 AM3/2/10
graybeard wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:54:45 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> papa.carl44 wrote:
>>> Signing your life over to it, making huge sacrifices....sounds like being a
>>> nurse, teacher.....oh, but they don't get the bucks
>>>

>> Anyone can teach.
>>

>> That was a joke but I know I got Johnny's attention.
>
> John, I believe the correct saying is:
>
> "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
>
> ;-]
>
> (Actually, I have great respect for teachers - at least the competent
> ones).

"& those that can't teach, teach Phys Ed."

I think the last part was woody Allen.

:)

I am with you on the teachers. Women screwed it up when they jumped in,
like they did with the vote, as it at one time was a well paying job.

Again for the dunderheads or those that don't know me the first part was
a joke.

They really need to teach parents but don't get me going.....

Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 11:11:15 AM3/2/10
graybeard wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 09:26:03 -0600 Johnctx <j...@spamtx.net> wrote:
>
>> I am with you on the teachers. Women screwed it up when they jumped in,
>> like they did with the vote, as it at one time was a well paying job.
>
> I believe in some districts being a voter can still be a well paying job
> ;-)

LOL

>> Again for the dunderheads or those that don't know me the first part was
>> a joke.
>>
>> They really need to teach parents but don't get me going.....
>

> Me either. I know that I will just be accused of getting old, but my
> disenchantment with some of the parents of today grows every time I
> encounter them with their children in public places.

Johnny Morongo

Mar 2, 2010, 11:21:16 AM3/2/10
> Anyone can teach, but non can trech ne hwo to tpye.

Fixed.

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 1:50:20 PM3/2/10

As Geo Foreman said in Zaire to Muhamad''s taunts, "Is that all you got
George?"

"Yeah, that's about it?"

I still HATE when you are funny!

:)

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:55:56 PM3/5/10
In article
<b8817fc1-a249-4664...@d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Michael <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote:

I agree. Juan Pierre is another risky pick. And others climbing up the
board because they look better in shorts than they do on film.

harlan