Re: Torry Holt, Pats

MZ

Apr 20, 2010, 3:05:53 PM4/20/10
Johnctx wrote:
> Good signing for Pats. He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/veteran_wr_torr.html
>

> Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the
> first 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87
> catches per season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he
> recorded five grabs.
>
> Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> it in New England.
>
> In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.

He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands. I think
this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft. Tate/Holt will
battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will
play in the slot. Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE
from this draft.

Johnctx

Apr 20, 2010, 3:01:34 PM4/20/10

Michael

Apr 20, 2010, 6:18:42 PM4/20/10
On Apr 20, 3:05 pm, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> Johnctx wrote:
> > Good signing for Pats.  He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> >http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/v...

> > Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> > the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> > deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> > Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> > with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the
> > first 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87
> > catches per season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he
> > recorded five grabs.
>
> > Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> > it in New England.
>
> > In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> > quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.
>
> He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands.  I think
> this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft.  Tate/Holt will
> battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will
> play in the slot.  Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE
> from this draft.- Hide quoted text -

retread

Michael

Apr 20, 2010, 7:00:04 PM4/20/10
On Apr 20, 3:05 pm, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> Johnctx wrote:
> > Good signing for Pats.  He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> >http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/v...

> > Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> > the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> > deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> > Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> > with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the
> > first 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87
> > catches per season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he
> > recorded five grabs.
>
> > Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> > it in New England.
>
> > In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> > quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.
>
> He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands.  I think
> this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft.  Tate/Holt will
> battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will
> play in the slot.  Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE
> from this draft.- Hide quoted text -

dont forget... they need a new hc too... the current guy has seen his
best time come and go...

Ray OHara

Apr 20, 2010, 9:26:35 PM4/20/10

"MZ" <ma...@nospam.void> wrote in message

also insurance against Welker not being ready.
the AFC East will be a dogfight among the Pats, J.E.S.T and Fish

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 21, 2010, 7:14:33 AM4/21/10
On Apr 20, 9:26 pm, "Ray OHara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "MZ" <m...@nospam.void> wrote in message

> > Johnctx wrote:
> >> Good signing for Pats.  He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> >>http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/v...

> >> Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> >> the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> >> deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> >> Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> >> with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the first
> >> 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87 catches per
> >> season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he recorded five
> >> grabs.
>
> >> Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> >> it in New England.
>
> >> In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> >> quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.
>
> > He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands.  I think
> > this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft.  Tate/Holt will
> > battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will play
> > in the slot.  Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE from
> > this draft.
>
> also insurance against Welker not being ready.
> the AFC East will be a dogfight among the Pats, J.E.S.T and Fish

Holt can't do what Welker does.

Johnctx

Apr 21, 2010, 8:50:16 AM4/21/10

He caught 51 balls for Jacksonville. Cotchery caught 57.

He isn't Welker but Brady was fine before Welker. Holt is 4x the WR
Gaffney was and can actually catch more than one pass and is still a
deep threat.

Tutor

Apr 21, 2010, 9:19:28 AM4/21/10
On Apr 20, 3:05 pm, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> Johnctx wrote:
> > Good signing for Pats.  He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> >http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/v...

> > Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> > the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> > deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> > Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> > with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the
> > first 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87
> > catches per season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he
> > recorded five grabs.
>
> > Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> > it in New England.
>
> > In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> > quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.
>
> He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands.  I think
> this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft.  Tate/Holt will
> battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will
> play in the slot.  Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE
> from this draft.- Hide quoted text -

This is a very good pick up for 2010 for New England. It gives Brady
and Moss someone who can move the chains and help let Moss get free.
Since Welker and his replacement usually in the slot, this finally
gives the Pats somene opposit Moss who can be a threat. Sure Holt is
old and only has a year left, but he can and will be productive. Last
year he had 700 yds and a very good YPC.

MZ

Apr 21, 2010, 10:20:35 AM4/21/10

No, but Edelman will. Holt would then take the role as 3rd receiver
that Edelman would usually have. Unless Tate beats him out.

It's not that big of a deal. It's not like they're relying on Holt to
carry the offense. He's coming in competing for the 4th/5th WR spot.

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 21, 2010, 12:27:43 PM4/21/10

Holt will not run Welker's routes over the middle or absorb the kind
of hits Welker takes.

MZ

Apr 21, 2010, 12:29:11 PM4/21/10

Holt will be an outside receiver.

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 21, 2010, 12:30:21 PM4/21/10

He won't have those numbers in NE unless Welker can't play which is
very possible. I think this sort of tells you that NE thinks they need
a plan B for Welker.

MZ

Apr 21, 2010, 12:35:24 PM4/21/10

Welker was out catching passes from Brady at UCLA two weeks ago. He'll
play this year. The Pats need outside receivers ever since they let
Gaffney go. They tried to draft one last year with Tate, but he got
hurt. Holt is insurance for Tate, not for Welker.

Johnctx

Apr 21, 2010, 1:22:06 PM4/21/10

>> He won't have those numbers in NE unless Welker can't play which is
>> very possible. I think this sort of tells you that NE thinks they need
>> a plan B for Welker.
>
> Welker was out catching passes from Brady at UCLA two weeks ago. He'll
> play this year. The Pats need outside receivers ever since they let
> Gaffney go. They tried to draft one last year with Tate, but he got
> hurt. Holt is insurance for Tate, not for Welker.

He is useful in that you can draft someone and hope to win the lottery.
If Tate or a rookie are better he is great reserve. When was teh last
time Moss got hurt?

Michael

Apr 21, 2010, 3:45:02 PM4/21/10
On Apr 20, 3:05 pm, MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> Johnctx wrote:
> > Good signing for Pats.  He hasn't dropped off much.
>
> >http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/v...

> > Torry Holt, a 12-year veteran receiver whose best days were as part of
> > the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," will sign a one-year, $1.7 million
> > deal with New England, according to a league source.
>
> > Listed at 6-feet, 200 pounds, Holt spent last season with the Jaguars,
> > with 51 receptions for 722 yards (14.2 yards per catch). During the
> > first 10 seasons of his career, all in St. Louis, Holt averaged 87
> > catches per season; in the Super Bowl XXXVI loss to the Patriots, he
> > recorded five grabs.
>
> > Soon to be 34 years old, Holt provides more depth to a position needing
> > it in New England.
>
> > In March, Holt told NFL.com that he wanted to play with an elite
> > quarterback. He now has that in Tom Brady.
>
> He'll be their new Jabar Gaffney, hopefully with better hands.  I think
> this move tells us they don't like the WRs in the draft.  Tate/Holt will
> battle for the outside spot across from Moss, and Welker/Edelman will
> play in the slot.  Pretty good offensive group, but they still need a TE
> from this draft.- Hide quoted text -

i dont like the wr's in the draft either... i expect golden tate will
be a bust... he cant get away from marginal college db's. how's he
gonna do against revis, cromartie, etc ???

Glenn Greenstein

Apr 21, 2010, 4:36:26 PM4/21/10

Makes sense then.