thomas jones released....HUH???

Big Balls Billy

Mar 2, 2010, 2:33:52 PM3/2/10
after his best season, he gets released. this is another asshole move
by management.

big question is....who do you replace his production with?

ONLY LT would satisfy me. tomlinson a jet...hmmmm.

Ian White

Mar 2, 2010, 3:25:11 PM3/2/10

Jones was banged up from 10 games in. He wasn't practicing with the
squad during the week for at least the last three regular season games,
and he was certainly used sparingly in the playoffs - hence Shonn
Greene's post-season increase in production.

LT is past it. I think Shonn Greene's proved his worth to the Jets and
that's who'll be carrying the Jets next year.

--
Ian

Ritchie

Mar 2, 2010, 5:07:23 PM3/2/10

TJ was not practicing at full tilt during the season and his
production dropped towards the end and in the playoffs. Shonn Greene
proved he can produce yardage and will be teamed with Washington.

Johnctx

Mar 2, 2010, 5:12:23 PM3/2/10

Maybe we timed it right this time as opposed to Curtis Martin but I
don't like it. $3MM seems like cheap insurance. I have nightmares of
Leon failing to pick up the blitz for the 100th time and getting
Sanchez clobbered.

yoyodog

Mar 2, 2010, 6:03:00 PM3/2/10

"Big Balls Billy" <majje...@news.com> wrote in message
Let the human bowling ball loose! Let the human bowling ball loose!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9PAm2J1hu8

yoyodog

Mar 2, 2010, 6:05:20 PM3/2/10

"Big Balls Billy" <majje...@news.com> wrote in message

I would ask the question: Is Tony Richardson coming back?

Johnny Morongo

Mar 2, 2010, 7:59:29 PM3/2/10

Are you the same guy who, for years, has said that DaBrickOShit is the
greatest thing since sliced bread? I'd worry a good deal more about
Faneca whiffing on a pass block that Leon were I you.

Grinch

Mar 2, 2010, 9:50:29 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:07:23 -0800 (PST), Ritchie
<ritch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2:33�pm, Big Balls Billy <majjest...@news.com> wrote:
>> after his best season, he gets released. this is another asshole move
>> by management.
>>
>> big question is....who do you replace his production with?
>>
>> ONLY LT would satisfy me. tomlinson a jet...hmmmm.
>
>TJ was not practicing at full tilt during the season and his
>production dropped towards the end and in the playoffs.

Will we be cutting Jenkins too?

> Shonn Greene
>proved he can produce yardage and will be teamed with Washington.

OK, Jones is gone.

Washington is coming off a very bad injury. Who knows about him?

Greene during the regular season last year had all of three games with
12 or more carries. Yes, he had a couple of good playoff games
(though not the last one.)

It seems they're dropping whole lot on him -- for what Rex says is
going to be a run run run to set up the pass team. What if he gets
injured -- can Leon carry the ball 25 times a game for a month as the
only RB? Greene's not a particularly big guy, can he average 20
carries a game through the whole season and playoffs too?

Or maybe Rex thinks Sanchez has grown up and can carry the O with his
arm!

Jones over the last two years had 2700+ yards, 27 TDs and carried the
ball 20 times a game. He also has been an asset in the locker room,
etc., the sort of player one wants on a team.

I understand he's 32 and so must be expected to be on his downside,
and that the bonus was due.

OTOH, it sort of looks like he earned the bonus, and this is an
uncapped season, so cutting him doesn't "free the team" to sign
anyone else -- unless Woody is feeling a $$$ pinch, in which case the
team is going to have other problems.

For a "run heavy" team in "win now" mode, with no cap constraint, this
looks like a strange move.

Glenn Greenstein

Mar 2, 2010, 11:23:51 PM3/2/10
On Mar 2, 9:50 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:07:23 -0800 (PST), Ritchie

It comes down to the Jets playing the percentages. RB's this old have
more times than not fallen off a cliff at this age. Do you recall the
year Martin and Alexander were going toe to toe for the rushing title.
Anyone recall how Martin and Alexander followed that year up? LT 2
years ago was the greatest RB the NFL ever saw, this season he got cut
before camp. How was Emitt Smith once he went past 30? Terrell Davis
was another guy who disappeared.
Personally think Jones would have started the year fine but after
this past season, I think this could have been the season he breaks
down on us around game 10. or 12.
I really don't like the move but it may have been the right one
especially if you are a trend follower.
One thing that was mentioned by a Jet in the Daily News I totally
agree with. How do you cut TJ and keep VG on the team. That said I
think this was more to do with getting younger than money.

Glenn Greenstein

Mar 2, 2010, 11:25:00 PM3/2/10
On Mar 2, 6:05 pm, "yoyodog" <NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Big Balls Billy" <majjest...@news.com> wrote in messagenews:htpqo5p51l7inbbmt...@4ax.com...

> > after his best season, he gets released. this is another asshole move
> > by management.
>
> > big question is....who do you replace his production with?
>
> > ONLY LT would satisfy me. tomlinson a jet...hmmmm.
>
> I would ask the question: Is Tony Richardson coming back?

I doubt it.

papa.carl44

Mar 3, 2010, 12:06:14 AM3/3/10

"Ian White" <newsgrops_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote in message

So....when Greene went belly up in the next to the last game...and TJ came
in and made the plays to win the game...that didn't count? This is a HUGE
mistake.

Ritchie

Mar 3, 2010, 12:23:50 AM3/3/10
On Mar 3, 12:06 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> mistake.- Hide quoted text -

I agree that it is mistake but the Jets are playing the "age factor"
with Jones. I would definitely keep him one more year and see if he
can be the one to defy the 30 year old RB rule.

Ian

Mar 3, 2010, 6:12:06 AM3/3/10

I think Greene will be fine. RB is one of those positions where you
can start to see real production in the 2nd year. I think Jones is
banged up more than has been reported and those plays to win the game,
*whilst important*, weren't gamebreaking plays, they were "get the
yard" plays.

I think it's a gamble letting Jones go and it only comes down to
dollars, but it's not a HUGE mistake. He's been productive for us, but
I suspect he's got worn out this year and won't prove the exception to
the "30+ rule". LT as a replacement? No thanks. I'd rather keep Jones
any day, but Greene, a fit Washington + A.N.Other and I'd be happy
with that.

What I've not seen clarified is whether letting Jones go frees us up
to sign another UFA. Anyone seen any info on that?

--
Ian

Johnctx

Mar 3, 2010, 7:17:20 AM3/3/10

Yo, it seems questionable.

Johnctx

Mar 3, 2010, 7:30:10 AM3/3/10
Find that post, as we would say in the Bronx, STUPID.

I think he is good. Is he Walter Jones? No, but LT's even when they are
good will eventually look bad. They are like relief pitchers & kickers
as they are in tough situations on every passing play.

Roos at TN is considered one of the studs and I'll bet he has let in
more sacks than D'Brick. He like ytour other whipping boy as also dealt
with 4 QB's in 4 years. All I know is that Sanchez wa steh least
touched QB this year.

I'd worry a good deal more about
> Faneca whiffing on a pass block that Leon were I you.

He gets blown up at times but makes up for it on the running plays.

Johnctx

Mar 3, 2010, 7:40:09 AM3/3/10

Papa, when you & I agree they should be listening.

:)

The only wild card here is who do they pick up?

Johnctx

Mar 3, 2010, 7:51:07 AM3/3/10
Johnctx wrote:
> Johnny Morongo wrote:
>> Johnctx wrote:

>>> Maybe we timed it right this time as opposed to Curtis Martin but I
>>> don't like it. $3MM seems like cheap insurance. I have nightmares of
>>> Leon failing to pick up the blitz for the 100th time and getting
>>> Sanchez clobbered.
>>
>> Are you the same guy who, for years, has said that DaBrickOShit is the
>> greatest thing since sliced bread?
> Find that post, as we would say in the Bronx, STUPID.
>
> I think he is good. Is he Walter Jones? No, but LT's even when they are
> good will eventually look bad. They are like relief pitchers & kickers. They are in tough situations on every passing play and will eventually look bad

> Roos at TN is considered one of the studs and I'll bet he has let in
> more sacks than D'Brick. He like your other whipping boy, Schott, as he has dealt
> with 4 QB's in 4 years. All I know is that Sanchez was the least

papa.carl44

Mar 3, 2010, 8:10:15 AM3/3/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

Yup.....it seems to me they are assuming a lot and taking a huge gamble. I
wonder how they will feel if the Pats pick him up and he runs rough shod all
over them?

Message has been deleted

Johnctx

Mar 3, 2010, 9:28:29 AM3/3/10

My guess is that his agent has already been promised more money than the
Jets offered so the chance of him coming back are probably zero.

papa.carl44

Mar 3, 2010, 4:24:05 PM3/3/10

"Johnctx" <j...@spamtx.net> wrote in message

Me thinks that once again they had their brush with lady fame, a moment in
the spotlight after coming back from the brink and yet again they will now
engineer things back to mediocrity at best. His production and what he
meant for the team was too great to assume they will replace it. I don't
think they will.

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:40:50 PM3/5/10
In article <f1gro5l403lf1es43...@4ax.com>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Let's see how it plays out:

1) We have $6 million in funny money to play with. That is what keeping
TJ would have cost.

2) TJ might test the market and decide to settle for a loser team like
Detroit or come back as a Jet for half of the six and have a chance to
stay with his buds and win.

3) If TJ moves on for bigger bucks, there are several other available
backs who were cut, hence the rule of 8 no longer applies so we may get
someone better or at least cheaper.

Paying six million dollars to an old, declining back-up seems stupid to
me.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Mar 5, 2010, 6:42:45 PM3/5/10
In article
<d67f07f6-c078-4d37...@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Ian <spuorg...@ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote:

No because we did not pick up his option and let him walk.

Not the same as losing a FA to a higher bidder.

Harlan

papa.carl44

Mar 7, 2010, 7:44:59 AM3/7/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

One question. Who did they give the ball to when the outcome of the game
was on the line? This kind of thinking is what continually kills the
Jets....all these "smart" moves.

Harlan Lachman

Mar 7, 2010, 8:49:02 AM3/7/10
In article <Oo2dnfjRGqRTAg7W...@giganews.com>,
"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Papa, since the answer to your question is not on the roster right now,
it is really a straw man fallacy. No response is possible or necessary.

Were the season to start in a month, I too would be concerned.

Let's see how this plays out.

Right now, it looks like we could lose Leon and TJ, the tandem that made
the Jets a running threat. All we have to show for it now is a six
million dollar savings and not having to deal with Leon's stupid agent.

If we lose them both and only save money, although I don't see how we
lose the second round pick, I will agree with you. OTOH, FA is not over,
the draft is not over, and the trading season is not over.

After the draft, I may agree with you. But, for now, I like both of
these moves. A lot.

Harlan

papa.carl44

Mar 8, 2010, 2:38:57 AM3/8/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

I give it to you and wish I could be like you. When it comes to the Jets I
am not an optimist. I tend to look at their track record for replacing
running backs, keeping good ones and choices in general. I do not think it
will be easy if even possible to get the same kind of production with
whoever they bring in, and I do not see the QB stepping up to produce a
passing game that doesn't make the running game a necessity. I hope I'm
wrong. But I think history is what makes me feel the way I do. The
situation with Leon is exactly why I would have kept TJ in the fold.

Big Balls Billy

Mar 15, 2010, 1:39:47 PM3/15/10
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:33:52 -0500, Big Balls Billy
<majje...@news.com> wrote:

>after his best season, he gets released. this is another asshole move
>by management.
>
>big question is....who do you replace his production with?
>
>ONLY LT would satisfy me. tomlinson a jet...hmmmm.

and two weeks later, the jets sign LT!!!! WOOT!!!!!!