Great article re: Jets' screen passing game and a few other right on observations

Johnny Morongo

Mar 9, 2011, 2:07:21 PM3/9/11
Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
QB.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-screen/#more-37139

REAL good work by Bent.

Message has been deleted

Johnny Morongo

Mar 9, 2011, 3:25:27 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 11:24 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> > QB.
>
> >http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...

> > REAL good work by Bent.
>
> If he starts off admitting he is using data that includes all throws
> behind theline of scrimmageisn't all the data immediately in
> question?  How many times did Sanchez throw a quick pass out to Holmes
> & Edwards?
>
> Sanchez is entering his 3rd year.  Pennington hadn't started a game at
> this point of his career.

Your point being?

Do you really want to start saying that Sanchez IS THE MAN? The
Sanchize? I'm no longer so convinced.
Look, he just is flat out inaccurate. Look at his completion
percentage, fer chries sake.
He's too small for a scatter armed QB. (He's no Brees, a small but
accurate passer.) IMHO, he's not gonna be able to stand up to the
majority of snaps that a franchise QB would be expected to take. He's
a foreseeable shoulder injury away from leaving the team in the hands
of Brunell/Clemens/Ainge/Connelly(?).
Maybe we take a late round flyer on a big, if raw, QB?

Did you know that among all the cities in the country, Houston has the
most speed traps, something in excess of 600, in the US?
How many tickets have you managed to pick up, Mr. Gonzales?

Michael

Mar 9, 2011, 3:59:36 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 2:24 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> > QB.
>
> >http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...

> > REAL good work by Bent.
>
> If he starts off admitting he is using data that includes all throws
> behind the line of scrimmage isn't all the data immediately in

> question?  How many times did Sanchez throw a quick pass out to Holmes
> & Edwards?
>
> Sanchez is entering his 3rd year.  Pennington hadn't started a game at
> this point of his career.

when sanchez really blew it his first year... all those games with
multiple interceptions... it was almost always due to mistakes he made
in the short passing game. this is no big revelation. He was totally
behind the experience curve when he first started out. he has gotten a
lot better. especially in the play-offs. he did not lose a single
playoff game for them. he played adequate in all of their playoff
games. he won more playoff games than namath, o'brien, vinny, chad.
he did not lose the afc champ game to the steelers. the defense did.
he'll probably get better with the short game, but i dont think he
will ever be a consistent QB. He'll probably be a streak player with
ups and downs. If all he does his whole career is post shitty stats
on the way to the play-offs every year... where he plays his best
football and wins...so what ? o think every team that plays the pats
twice a year feels they dont run enough screen passes. sanchez's best
work is done school yard style. he's not a technician.

Johnny Morongo

Mar 9, 2011, 5:02:34 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 12:59 pm, Michael <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2:24 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> > > QB.
>
> > >http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...
>
> > > REAL good work by Bent.
>
> > If he starts off admitting he is using data that includes all throws
> > behind theline of scrimmageisn't all the data immediately in

> > question?  How many times did Sanchez throw a quick pass out to Holmes
> > & Edwards?
>
> > Sanchez is entering his 3rd year.  Pennington hadn't started a game at
> > this point of his career.
>
> when sanchez really blew it his first year... all those games with
> multiple interceptions... it was almost always due to mistakes he made
> in the short passing game.  this is no big revelation.  He was totally
> behind the experience curve when he first started out. he has gotten a
> lot better.  especially in the play-offs.  he did not lose a singleplayoff gamefor them.  he played adequate in all of their playoff

> games.   he won moreplayoff gamesthan namath, o'brien, vinny,chad.
> he did not lose the afc champ game to the steelers.  the defense did.
> he'll probably get better with the short game, but i dont think he
> will ever be a consistent QB.  He'll probably be a streak player with
> ups and downs.   If all he does his whole career is post shitty stats
> on the way to the play-offs every year... where he plays his best
> football and wins...so what ? o think every team that plays the pats
> twice a year feels they dont run enough screen passes.  sanchez's best
> work is done school yard style.  he's not a technician.

You're so right about his best work being done school yard style.
They used to say the same thing about Tarkington, often adding that
he'd never win the big game because of it. And he didn't. And he was
a midget too. And stats do say something about weather or not I would
want a guy with shitty ones as my franchise QB. Give my druthers, I
want good stats and size from that guy. Oh, you know, someone like
Brady or Manning. Them's franchise QBs.

Michael

Mar 9, 2011, 6:20:09 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 5:02 pm, Johnny Morongo <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com>
wrote:
> Brady or Manning.  Them's franchise QBs.- Hide quoted text -

and the jets beat them both in playoff games with sanchez as their qb.
sanchez did not fuck either game up ala tarkington. he can behave
himself when it counts. along with being flawed, he's a winner. with
the jets current coach, qb, and gm we'll get plenty of entertainment
and surprises at least :-) the jets are a fantastic disaster.

Johnny Morongo

Mar 9, 2011, 7:09:45 PM3/9/11
> > want a guy with shitty ones as my franchise QB.  Give mydruthers, I

> > want good stats and size from that guy.  Oh, you know, someone like
> > Brady or Manning.  Them's franchise QBs.- Hide quoted text -

> and the jets beat them both inplayoff gameswith sanchez as their qb.

> sanchez did not fuck either game up ala tarkington.  he can behave
> himself when it counts.  along with being flawed, he's a winner.  with
> the jets current coach, qb, and gm we'll get plenty of entertainment
> and surprises at least :-)  the jets are a fantastic disaster.

That's just it, Michael...I don't want to spend my time, what little I
have left of it, watching ANY kind of a disaster. I want a Super Bowl
winner. I'll leave the disaster stuff to you as you seem to be
willing to settle for one. And you're right, Sanchez didn 't fuck up
either game...he just FAILED TO WIN THEM.

Michael

Mar 9, 2011, 8:47:17 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 7:09 pm, Johnny Morongo <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com>
> either game...he just FAILED TO WIN THEM.- Hide quoted text -

i think the jets have a very good chance at a lombardi now. a
superbowl would be ideal, but above all for me, is the entertainment
value i like. i like the current jets a lot. they are fun to
follow. i have been a fan since 1980, and it has been one shit
sandwich after another. walton, coslet, kotite, vinny t. blowing out
his tendon on the outskirts of the promised land and then the
preacher... when rex come on, it was fun again. we've taken our last
bite of the shit sandwich. the jets are a winning team now and a fun
team.

Johnny Morongo

Mar 9, 2011, 9:03:57 PM3/9/11
> > have left of it, watching ANY kind of a disaster.  I want aSuper Bowl

> > winner.  I'll leave the disaster stuff to you as you seem to be
> > willing to settle for one.  And you're right, Sanchez didn 't fuck up
> > either game...he just FAILED TO WIN THEM.- Hide quoted text -

> i think the jets have a very good chance at a lombardi now.  a
> superbowl would be ideal, but above all for me, is the entertainment
> value i like.  i like the current jets a lot.  they are fun to
> follow.  i have been a fan since 1980, and it has been one shit
> sandwich after another.  walton, coslet, kotite, vinny t. blowing out
> his tendon on the outskirts of the promised land and then the
> preacher... when rex come on, it was fun again.  we've taken our last
> bite of theshit sandwich.  the jets are a winning team now and a fun
> team.

I was home on leave at the end of the 1961 AFL Football year when I
became a Jets Fan So I've been frustrated for at least 19 more years
than you have been a fan of the team. Wait another 19 years, with
very little to show for it, and then come back and tell me then, after
19 more years of those shit sandwiches, that you're just happy with
the entertainment value that you've been provided with. Maybe that's
good enough for you, but not for me.

Michael

Mar 9, 2011, 9:24:43 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 9:03 pm, Johnny Morongo <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com>
> good enough for you, but not for me.- Hide quoted text -

1961 ??? was that still the pologrounds ???

Message has been deleted

Johnny Morongo

Mar 14, 2011, 1:41:32 PM3/14/11
On Mar 10, 7:24 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If he starts off admitting he is using data that includes all throws
> > > behind theline of scrimmageisn't all the data immediately in
> > > question?  How many times did Sanchez throw a quick pass out to Holmes
> > > & Edwards?
>
> > > Sanchez is entering his 3rd year.  Pennington hadn't started a game at
> > > this point of his career.
>
> > Your point being?
>
> My point being that I have been a big critic of Sanchez play and
> thinking which is often portayed as Schott loving.

> He drives the offense and he showed up w/o much college playing time.
> For a reference Brady threw 2X as many passes & played in more than 2X
> the games than Sanchez did.  His numbers thus far are comparable to
> some good company:  Elway & Aikman.

> > Do you really want to start saying that Sanchez IS THE MAN?  The
> > Sanchize?  I'm no longer so convinced.
>

> I think he is good.  He is tough and can play a stinker & still show
> up one the last drive.  Will he be great?  I am not there yet.

> > Look, he just is flat out inaccurate.  Look at his completion
> > percentage, fer chries sake.
> > He's too small for a scatter armed QB.  (He's no Brees, a small but
> > accurate passer.)   IMHO, he's not gonna be able to stand up to the
> > majority of snaps that a franchise QB would be expected to take.  He's
> > a foreseeable shoulder injury away from leaving the team in the hands
> > of Brunell/Clemens/Ainge/Connelly(?).
> > Maybe we take a late round flyer on a big, if raw, QB?
>

> His height worried me from day one and he does get some passes knocked
> down but that seems to happen early & he adjusts.  Yes, I am worried
> about his shoulder but I am worried about his knee as he is so elusive
> & if he looses that....

> > Did you know that among all the cities in the country, Houston has the
> > most speed traps, something in excess of 600, in the US?
> > How many tickets have you managed to pick up, Mr. Gonzales?
>

> I am not surprised as the city is 500 square miles.  People driving
> across country or state have to go through it.  Me, I drive 15-20
> miles a week unless I am going out of town and when I drive I drive
> the speed limit or stay with traffic.  I haven't gotten a speeding
> ticket in 25 years.

" His numbers thus far are comparable to some good company: Elway &
Aikman."

Both of them were much bigger and sturdier than Sanchez too. I just
don't think he'll be able to take the lickin' and still keep tickin'.
And, BTW,

"...often portayed as Schott licking."

Fixed.

"He is tough and can play a stinker & still show up one the last
drive. Will he be great? I am not there yet."

"Great" would be not HAVING to show up in the final minutes of a game
so often. And that, my bald-headed ejit friend, only happens so
frequently because both the QB and his OC make so many mistakes.
Maybe they deserve each other. I do have to say though that on
occasion when they get it right on the same Sunday or portion thereof,
the O can look really sharp.

"... I am worried about..."

Sam Bradford might have been a better prospect than Mark coming out,
but he has missed significant time due to injury and may never have
what it takes to avoid injuries. Too bad for Detroit. And really too
bad for the Jets if Sanchez gets hurt anywhere near badly, which we
both seem to think is a possibility. He might get hit less than
Bradford, but the fact is is that he DOES get hit - and it only takes
one good one. I think that they really have to get a SOLID backup.
Someone like the next Kolb. And AFAIC, it ain't Brunell.

"I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 25 years."

Ah. A true conservative. No guts, no glory... neither Sammy or I can
drive 55!

Just like the nice conservative

Message has been deleted

JetsLife

Mar 19, 2011, 3:28:29 AM3/19/11
On Mar 9, 3:07 pm, Johnny Morongo <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com>
wrote:

> Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> QB.
>
> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...

> REAL good work by Bent.

They don't grow winning QBs on trees. Sanchez has demonstrated a
winner.

There is nothing more any fan could desire in a QB.

Franchise QB or not, I can't say. I can say and know this: I would be
hard pressed to take him over anybody else. He is a great Jet.

JetsLife

Mar 19, 2011, 3:39:10 AM3/19/11
wrote:
> Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> QB.
>
> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...

> REAL good work by Bent.

Only a fool would read into anything in to this article, and your
foolish comment.

QBs are judged by winning percentage including the postseason.
Everything else is bullshit.

Sanchez IS a franchise QB because he wants to win, has won, and has
almost won on the very biggest stage of all. God willing he and the
lads will win it all this season.

I for one am going to stick by this guy. Statistics mean nothing.

JetsLife

Mar 20, 2011, 3:34:28 PM3/20/11
On Mar 19, 3:39 am, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 3:07 pm, Johnny Morongo <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Among other things, puts another dent in Sanchez' image as a franchise
> > QB.
>
> >http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/03/09/bga-weekly-hitting-the-big-scre...
>
> > REAL good work by Bent.
>
> Only a fool would read into anything in to this article, and your
> foolish comment.

I apologize for my inane, overly aggressive language here.