A great "win" today...

montygraham

Dec 26, 2010, 4:36:52 PM12/26/10
...because Sanchez demonstrated he can win in bad, cold weather.
Also, it's clear that the defense has huge problems, so hopefully they
can figure some things out before the playoffs and stop kidding
themselves that they have a "great" defensive unit. Obviously,
"backing into" the playoffs is a nice gift.

Glenn Greenstein

Dec 26, 2010, 4:44:52 PM12/26/10

How do you back in with a week left in the season?

Saycoda

Dec 26, 2010, 4:46:12 PM12/26/10

You didn't win to get, someone lost, hence "backed in"

Glenn Greenstein

Dec 26, 2010, 4:53:45 PM12/26/10

We won 10 games and there is a week left in the season. All things
considered, that was enough to get in. Would you feel better if the
Jets had 9 wins this week and win against the Bills to get in? You
back in the last week of the regular season, not before then.

Harlan Lachman

Dec 26, 2010, 6:36:11 PM12/26/10
In article
<f51d5b4f-8564-45ac...@30g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,
Glenn Greenstein <lex...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Glenn this is an excellent point and clear and compelling logic. Thanks
for the pick me up.

harlan

papa.carl44

Dec 26, 2010, 6:53:32 PM12/26/10

"Glenn Greenstein" <lex...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Absolutely correct. They Jets can only play for themselves and are not
responsible for what other teams do at all...hence you look at the
record...they are IN the playoffs, no backing in crap.

Keith Keller

Dec 26, 2010, 7:12:23 PM12/26/10
On 2010-12-26, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:

> Glenn this is an excellent point and clear and compelling logic. Thanks
> for the pick me up.

If you want further cheering up, recall that they got the win last week
in Pittsburgh, which made this game a lot less crucial. (I wonder if
there was a bit of a letdown after such an emotional victory.)

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Message has been deleted

Beiselbub©

Dec 27, 2010, 3:10:27 PM12/27/10

Same way you back in anytime, by losing. But wait, there's more. The
Jags, remember them? The Jets, 2-3 in their last five games, needed a
loss by the Jags to get in.

Harlan Lachman

Dec 28, 2010, 10:21:50 AM12/28/10
In article
<4d31c44e-3d83-4496...@r19g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Beiselbub� <yank_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:

BB, the flaw in your thinking is that we were talking about our 15th
game in a 16 game season. We did not need the Jags to lose to get in. We
only needed their loss to get in a week early. Even had they won and we
win versus Buffalo, we are still in.

So, no, we did not back in.

Case closed.

harlan

Beiselbub©

Dec 28, 2010, 5:16:05 PM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 8:21 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <4d31c44e-3d83-4496-8306-4f9cfcd57...@r19g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

Unless you lose this week, in which case there can be no denying the
truth of how you got there then.

Tutor

Dec 28, 2010, 6:29:41 PM12/28/10
> truth of how you got there then.- Hide quoted text -

incorrect again. The Jets, having clinched, may rest the starters.
Once clinched, the rest of what they do is wholly irrelevant. The
best you can do is hypothesize about how the Jes would have done vs.
the Bills if they were in a win or out position.

Grinch

Dec 28, 2010, 7:55:35 PM12/28/10
> the Bills if they were in a win or out position.- Hide quoted text -

If a team starts 12-0, wins the 12th in a 1pm game, and mathematically
locks up a playoff spot when somebody else loses that day in a 4pm
game, the trolls in its group will say it "backed in".

Next.

papa.carl44

Dec 28, 2010, 9:20:27 PM12/28/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Next.

Like the Pats backed in because somebody else lost that day....the reality
is, at this point in the season a lot of "clinches" are because someone
lost...so they are all backing in so to speak.

Harlan Lachman

Dec 29, 2010, 11:04:18 AM12/29/10