Sanchez: the much better and the not so much better.

Grinch

Oct 12, 2010, 6:26:51 PM10/12/10
Sanchez, huge obvious improvement: 0 picks in 147 attempts. If he
doesn't throw any over the rest of the year the Jetsies will be in
contention for the big prize all the way. Heck, he doesn't even have
to throw 0, just be among the half-dozen or so QBs who throw the
fewest.

Not so much improvement: Sanchez's completion percentage of 55% is
29th in the league, and his average yards per attempt of 6.1 is tied
for 28th-30th, both about the same as last year.

That's how one gets only 1 TD and 5 FGs in six scoring opportunities.

(And anybody who says "It's Schott's fault!" had better say the 0.00%
interception rate is Schott's fault too.)

It looks like Rex and Schott have well-taught the kid football rule
#1: Don't Beat Yourself.
Now he has to learn #2: How To Beat The Other Guy

But that's definite progress.

FWIW, Footballoutsiders' take on Sanchez after last night's game:
~~~~
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2010/week-5-quick-reads

Sanchez threw an interception every 18.2 attempts last season. That
was always going to improve this year, but he's now gone 147 attempts
without a single interception, which would be remarkable even if
Sanchez was a particularly accurate quarterback.

Not much else has changed -- he's completing 55.1 percent of his
passes after hitting 53.8 percent of them a year ago, and his yards
per attempt have gone from 6.7 a year ago to 6.1 this year. He's
throwing touchdowns once every 18 attempts as opposed to once every
30. His sack rate's improved from 6.7 percent to 4.7 percent. He's a
little better across the board, but the big change amounts to
interception luck. While he got some bounces in his favor (as well as
some drops from his teammates) on Monday night, the picks are coming.
He won't throw 20 or anything, but they're on their way.

Harlan Lachman

Oct 12, 2010, 10:44:21 PM10/12/10
In article
<7905c727-ecb0-4d0c...@t8g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

So if I am reading this correctly, while he is only completing 55.1% of
his passes, which is below average, he just about doubled his percent of
passes resulting in touchdowns from last year, reduced his sacks
percentage by almost a third, and eliminated turn overs in the first
five games (both picks and fumbles) after leading the league.

I must be missing something. Even Football Outsiders ranks him the 8th
Qb out of the 39 they rank in DYAR which they use to rank quarterbacks
according to their total value.

If he just doesn't regress we should be fine. If his receivers grow
hands and his accuracy improves a little, he could be dangerous.

Harlan

John C TX

Oct 13, 2010, 10:57:20 AM10/13/10
On Oct 12, 9:44 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <7905c727-ecb0-4d0c-868d-4404c7a84...@t8g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

As I said all summer if he just doesn't suck we are better. He is
playing well.

A J

Oct 13, 2010, 2:04:06 PM10/13/10
On Oct 12, 6:26 pm, Grinch <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Not so much improvement:  Sanchez's completion percentage of 55% is
> 29th in the league, and his average yards per attempt of 6.1 is tied
> for 28th-30th, both about the same as last year.

These numbers don't concern me yet, Grinch.

It seems to me that I've seen a couple of well thrown drops in each
game so far,
and we know that these stats are ultra dependent upon completing
passes.

If, for argument's sake, there have been 10 drops this year, and we
assume
a 10 yd gain for each of them, the result is:

comp % : 61.9% 16th

YPA : 6.8 12th : tie w/ Garrard

There ARE, however, a few drops that DO concern me, and they would be
the picks he threw to Min that weren't picked.

I'm expecting him to show well this week.

A J

Harlan Lachman

Oct 13, 2010, 8:47:48 PM10/13/10
In article
<4d8f11b2-5cd7-4d31...@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

I wonder who the OC is who is getting all this production during Sanchez
sophomore slump :-)

papa.carl44

Oct 14, 2010, 11:55:50 AM10/14/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

I would guess it's the OC who got his ass chewed out by the head coach, and
the same guy who still makes a lot of horrendous decisions.

Michael

Oct 14, 2010, 1:06:21 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 11:55 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:

> "Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

> > In article
> > <4d8f11b2-5cd7-4d31-b9ac-38a085b3f...@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
> the same guy who still makes a lot of horrendous decisions.- Hide quoted text -

exactly... i dont think the schott supporters consider the jets
offensive manpower. with the line and the weapons the jets have, even
a guy that calls bad plays can get production. also consider when
sanchez made his big turn around last year that continues to this day.
it started the week after rex "got more involved". the credit for
the jets running game goes to callahan and the quality of the guys on
the line. it is their execution that wins the day, not the play
calling. the play calling mix IMHO holds them up to the tune of about
14 points a game. no matter how badly schott got stuck with QB
changes: Pennington to Favre to Sanchez and QB's with limitations: pop
gun and a rookie... there is no excuse or reasonable explanation for
pulling plays out of your ass or calling plays that dont match the
context

MZ

Oct 14, 2010, 1:11:32 PM10/14/10

Yup. Where would the Jets be right now if Tomlinson wasn't a pleasant
surprise? Or if Braylon was continuing where he left off last year with
his dropsies and mistakes? Really, their production on offense seems to
me to mostly be a case of having a pretty bulletproof starting lineup
for the first time in who knows when. Even last year, when they had the
strong running game/OL, there were issues at WR. Or two years before
that, when the OL was a nightmare. Finally everything's come together.
They've put together a very strong team that can go far if Sanchez
doesn't become the weak link, or the injury bug doesn't strike at some
of the more vulnerable spots (e.g. RB).

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Oct 14, 2010, 7:14:06 PM10/14/10
In article
<e6156664-d871-49c6...@h7g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will start off by saying you are all out of your mind but will
> concede your point. Schott sucks. OK so now b, Carl, Michael, Johnny
> & you can shut up & watch the season & not post ten posts ea during
> the game how he sucks.
>
> :)
>
> I could write a long list of issues Schott has dealt --again--with
> different QB's, no RB's, no OL, etc. I won't waste everyone's time as
> some of you just ignore it.
>
> Michael you have lost your mind on this one. He sucks when he can't
> scheme around the problems even if the problems are the players.
> Then, when he gets players & even with a very green QB have enormous
> success, it is because of the players. Well if it is the result of
> the players when it works then logic tells you they carry the s***can
> when they fail.
>
> Some of the criticism is not in line what actually happens in the game
> and some of the critics are in conflict with each other. Like a bunch
> of pre-revolutionary Russians with different axes to grind they are
> only united by their hatred of the Czar, in this case Schott. If I
> can't call Johnny a Bolshevik once a week I will lose touch and some
> of these guys are not Commies. they are worse, some are Democrats :)
>
> eg.
>
> Mark you said a game plan that hoped to run on Baltimore is stupid.
> You are probably right. Then I read by others that Schott is stupid
> for not running more against the Vikings who are also very, very stout
> against the run. Huh?
>
> In both the Baltimore & Vikings games they are a walk in the park if
> we catch our passes. HelI, against Buffalo MZ's criticism of Schott
> was not running it at the goal line & passing it instead. It is
> probably fair, but Sanchez had a wide open TE that he mentioned
> immediately post game. I hear about context, flow, which sounds like
> MSNBC or Fox. Schott makes mistakes but every time the play doesn't
> work isn't his fault. Sometimes it is because the players screw up.
> If the criticism is of the play calling don't ignore the players'
> failure. Don't ignore multiple 1st-15s, 2nd 11 & wiping out a 3rd &
> inches or a 1st down because inexperienced OL go offsides. If
> Callahan gets credit don't we drop him in the grease when the line
> messes up.
>
> I stand by my theory that OC's are similar to QB's. They take too much
> credit & too much blame. The key is the QB. The other pieces help but
> you need to look no further than the Pats to see what drop off occurs
> when a great QB goes down. Cassel had what 4 training camps under his
> belt & surrounded by talent there was a huge drop off with a very good
> OC-- Denver scares me.
>
> So again, Schott sucks, but I am glad we are arguing this with 4-1
> record & not 2-3.

Give it up, John. It is pointless.

papa.carl44

Oct 14, 2010, 7:21:36 PM10/14/10

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

And we agree. I still have friends and contacts "in the game"...guys who
were very active in the college game, and even one who scouted in the pro
game...none of them think very much of Schott...what bothers me the most is
it is extremely boring and unimaginative stuff...but, it has gotten a little
better. The biggest issue is when he is in a jam he reverts back to bad
decisions.

papa.carl44

Oct 14, 2010, 7:24:14 PM10/14/10

"MZ" <ma...@nospam.void> wrote in message

My son and I were just talking about this...the same thing. Technically,
these guys are loaded, have tremendous talent, and Schott seems to negate a
lot of it, or what should happen. I think he keeps putting Sanchez in bad
situations too. With the WR's they have there are some relatively safe pass
plays for first down...so they are not always in a second and long
situation. Then with the running game they have making plays becomes a lot
easier.

papa.carl44

Oct 14, 2010, 7:27:36 PM10/14/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I will start off by saying you are all out of your mind but will
concede your point. Schott sucks. OK so now b, Carl, Michael, Johnny
& you can shut up & watch the season & not post ten posts ea during
the game how he sucks.

:)

I could write a long list of issues Schott has dealt --again--with
different QB's, no RB's, no OL, etc. I won't waste everyone's time as
some of you just ignore it.

What?????? NO RB's????? some of the best last year and this year

eg.

The expected party line BS...Schott couldn't use Penny or Favre
either....I'd love to see him with P. Manning or Brady...he'd screw it up.

Michael

Oct 14, 2010, 8:28:14 PM10/14/10
On Oct 14, 6:18 pm, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MZ <m...@nospam.void> wrote:
> I will start off by saying you are all out of your mind but will
> concede your point.  Schott sucks.  OK so now b, Carl, Michael, Johnny
> & you can shut up & watch the season & not post ten posts ea during
> the game how he sucks.
>
> :)
>
> I could write a long list of issues Schott has dealt --again--with
> different QB's, no RB's, no OL, etc. I won't waste everyone's time as
> some of you just ignore it.
>
> record & not 2-3.- Hide quoted text -

it could have been 5-0

the ravens game... how can you have pass catchers like keller,
edwards, cotch, LT along with a QB that moves to avoid pressure as
well as steve young and let them sit around like a bunch of dicks in
ice water ??? piss away short fields, downs and drives against a tight
defense without the application of at least JV brainpower in the
passing game??? you might as well take on rooks, bishops and knights
with your pawns. no proof that schott was the mastermind, but that
was miserable. the jets had the juice but they didnt pour it.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Michael

Oct 15, 2010, 10:31:02 AM10/15/10
On Oct 15, 10:20 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So again, Schott sucks, but I am glad we are arguing this with 4-1
> > > record & not 2-3.- Hide quoted text -

> > it could have been 5-0
>
> > the ravens game... how can you have pass catchers like keller,
> > edwards, cotch, LT along with a QB that moves to avoid pressure as
> > well as steve young and let them sit around like a bunch of dicks in
> > ice water ??? piss away short fields, downs and drives against a tight
> > defense without the application of at least JV brainpower in the
> > passing game??? you might as well take on rooks, bishops and knights
> > with your pawns.  no proof that schott was the mastermind, but that
> > was miserable.  the jets had the juice but they didnt pour it.
>
> Really, 14 penalties for 130+ yards, two fumbles & multiple dropped
> passes but it was all Schott.  How about Pettine?
>
> The game plan could have been better but the players lost that game.
> They came out tight. Who do you blame Ryan or Schott?

look at the game score... the defense did good enough to win in spite
of the penalties. the offense had multiple oppertunities starting
out drives on the ravens side of the field. stalling once or twice is
one thing... not being able to do a single thing with a short field
each and every time is somthing else. the defense caused problems
*some* of the time due to penalties. they over came them and still
kept the score low. the pass catches caused problems *some* of the
time by dropping balls. that did not negate their great field
position and oppertunities on all the following drives. the offensive
play calling caused problems *all* of the time. and yes... i agree...
the jets came out too tight... like they were brainwashed to think
that the ravens defense was going to be coming out on the field
carrying guns. was that rex ??? pride of authorship perhaps ???

Message has been deleted

John C TX

Oct 15, 2010, 11:33:28 AM10/15/10
On Oct 14, 8:47 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Schott is the constant.
> Players changed... coaches changed... there was a head coach change... throughout it, I've
> seen the same problems...  No sense of a series' flow/rhythm, thus, a play will be chosen,
> just for the helluvit, with no aforethought to what's working; the defensive weaknesses;
> the particular down; field position; weather conditions; etc.   Also, he fails to take
> into account momentum.  After a turnover, or good ST play, it's always business as usual.
> Rather than taking that momentum, & using it as a spark for a big play/score, a possible
> turning point is wasted.
> Difficulty utilizing the talent he's been given, whether it was Leon, Brad Smith, Keller,
> Cotch, etc, thus, not putting players in a position to make plays... or even be on the
> field.
> Too much focus given to presnap motion & formations, thus often confusing the players,
> while the D would just wait for the movement to stop, & just play football.
> The cuteness factor... just outsmarting himself.
> Clock management issues.  We saw some last week.  Yes, Sanchez should've waited to snap
> the ball, but Schott needed to communicate that to him.  Often, in crucial minutes of the
> game, with the clock winding down, our offense doesn't have a sense of urgency.  Lots of
> time is wasted, & blown opportunities.
>
> After Sanchez tanked last season, Rex became more involved, and Sanchez settled down.  We
> went on a winning streak.
> We had the Ravens game.  Rex mentioned afterward, he had issues with benching Shonn.
> It seems Rex has become more involved again with the offense.  Not play-calling, per se,
> but he seems to have finally gotten that he's the head coach, and that entails involvement
> with the whole team... not just the D.
> Sanchez called Schott out on the multiple kill plays he had to deal with.  So, now Sanchez
> is able to read & react more quickly.  Schott has finally minimized some of the presnap
> motion.  We're seeing fewer penalties, and the OL especially, is coming together.  The
> players can just focus on making plays.  Schott hs more time to focus on play design.
> We're seeing many more well-designed plays.
>
> Kudos to Schott for altering his ways, when given feedback from players, or Rex.
> But, as was evident to me last week, while he's giving players more opportunity to make
> plays, his in-game instincts are still lacking.
>
> Just as an aside, JC, there are observations & opinions tossed about here.
> For me, a lot of what I post is based on observation & experience.  I'm not a technical
> football wizard, as I'm sure everyone's noticed.  So, when you tend to do the personal
> attack thing, wishing I'd change my *opinion*, or think I'm being stubborn, etc, you're
> missing the point.  I'm posting my experience of what I'm observing.  It's analogous to
> how we all experience momentum shifts in games.  Momentum is real, as is rhythm & flow.

I don't know how to really answer that. That was not a personal
attack. It is clear that you & Papa & company don't like Schott and I
think some of the criticism is unfair. I feel it is my job to call
Johnny a Bolshevik, Luddite or an anarchist regularly.

I found it funny how you deal with the anxiety of the game, during the
game, by posting about Schott. A few others jumped in and to me were
often screaming about things that to me made no sense. I ignored most
of it Tues. because I am not here to change your mind and you made it
clear you don't want to talk specifics. I promise not to stop to talk
you out of wearing that lime green leisure suit when we meet.

:)

> There's no opinion involved.
> When I was in the film business, 'twas all rhythm & flow.
> I played the same way.  Everything was rhythm & feel, as opposed to technical/mental
> precision on the field/cout.
> That's why you never see me trying to change anyone's mind, or get into the personal
> stuff.   You can't say someone's experience is wrong... it is what it is.
> You also don't see me, too often get into Xs & Os.  It aint my thing.
> So, in conclusion... to me Schott is an Xs & Os guy, with absolutely no feel for the game.

So when Brad smith moving freezes a defender, when LT is running
through a gap vacated by the guard, it is because he has no feel? I
don't see it and it is clear we disagree. I have my criticisms of
this offense & some players they kept but overall it could be worse.
He places the offense in a place to win and when a play is drawn up &
they drop the pass, Sanchez doesn't make the throw, Slausson knocks LT
over when he pulls, well, then I blame the players.

> Years ago, I saw a classical guitarist, Narciso Yepes in concert.  Fantastic technician...
> thoroughly enjoyable concert.
> A week later, I saw Segovia.  He was a musician, an artist.  The audience was wasted
> emotionally afterward  ;)

I would rather watch us win than look pretty and lose. We have the
talent to win now.

If I want pretty I look in the mirror. At Victoria's Secrets not my
own.

Message has been deleted

John C TX

Oct 15, 2010, 3:50:01 PM10/15/10
On Oct 15, 11:49 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Not this time, JC, but in the past you often go personal, rather than understanding not
> everything is an opinion.  Sometime it's actually a feel & experience, which doesn't make
> someone clueless, or whatever epithet that comes to mind  ;)

That's a fair comment I try to keep that to a minimum. Certain
things set me off.

I try not to do it. Hell, I haven't called Michael a toll for months.

> >I found it funny how you deal with the anxiety of the game, during the
> >game, by posting about Schott.  A few others jumped in and to me were
> >often screaming about things that to me made no sense. I ignored most
> >of it Tues. because I am not here to change your mind and you made it
> >clear you don't want to talk specifics.  I promise not to stop to talk
> >you out of wearing that lime green leisure suit when we meet.
>

> There you go again... it's not lime green, it's chartreuse.
> It's not the anxiety of the game, it's the cluelessness of our beloved OC.
> It's like I said, it's a feel for the game.  Mark calls it situational playcalling.
> Either way, it's the same thing, in given situations Schott stalls drives, because he
> lacks the feel for the moment & calls bizarre plays.
> Watch what he does next time the Jets take over after a big turnover, or ST play.
> It's usually a run straight ahead, which immediately kills momentum.

Now where getting somewhere something specific

:)

Sometimes that bugs me too. You know I think that some of the
conservative side comes from Rex. It doesn't make me crazy if we can
get 3 points. I like to see us take a shot but opening up with 2nd &
4 can set up a better pass than 1st & 10. I think you have seen less
of that this year.

>Or, when they're in
> the red zone, after marching down field.  Suddenly, everything changes, and he goes away
> from what's working.

Is he moving away because you are now working with 1590 sq yards or
less so the defense has an easier time defending? Is he changing
because of the risk of losing teh 3 points. There are many things
going into the decision but this is a good example. If he runs it
some people scream and label him an idiot. If he passes he is an
idiot. So two people are agreeing that Schott is stupid from watching
the same play. I see that quite a bit in here.

A great example is at the end of the half. Schott call three straight
pass plays in monsoon. People go nuts. No one thought to think that
we were out of timeouts and that is why at 1st & goal from the 4 he
didn't run it.

>Or, when they're moving the ball well, and he tries a cute play that
> blows up.  This all has been happening consistently, since he got here.
> And it drives me crazy.  If I can see something, I want my OC to be able to see it too.
> Sanchez has straightened him out on extraneous plays... Rex has done his part, too.
> And the result is a better offense.

> >:)
>
> >> There's no opinion involved.
> >> When I was in the film business, 'twas all rhythm & flow.
> >> I played the same way.  Everything was rhythm & feel, as opposed to technical/mental
> >> precision on the field/cout.
> >> That's why you never see me trying to change anyone's mind, or get into the personal
> >> stuff.   You can't say someone's experience is wrong... it is what it is.
> >> You also don't see me, too often get into Xs & Os.  It aint my thing.
> >> So, in conclusion... to me Schott is an Xs & Os guy, with absolutely no feel for the game.
>
> >So when Brad smith moving freezes a defender, when LT is running
> >through a gap vacated by the guard, it is because he has no feel? I
> >don't see it and it is clear we disagree.   I have my criticisms of
> >this offense & some players they kept but overall it could be worse.
> >He places the offense in a place to win and when a play is drawn up &
> >they drop the pass, Sanchez doesn't make the throw, Slausson knocks LT
> >over when he pulls, well, then I blame the players.
>

> It's not about ALL the presnap motion, it's about how much he used to have the players do.
> The opposing D would just stand there, and wait for the motion to stop... and the waste of
> time.  Then Sanchez would have to rush to get a play off.

Some of that last year was Sanchez. They took away his options at the
end of the year and Ryan was labeled the savior. Maybe Ryan managed
Schott properly, which is job, & something positive came out.

> Did you watch the Ravens game?
> The team was confused with all the motion.

I did & you posted a piece that explained that Sanchez had two
choices. I don't know pro football well enough if that type of play
calling is rare, common or SOP. They tried it it didn't work and
they stopped doing it. I think the play calling has been good since.

> >> Years ago, I saw a classical guitarist, Narciso Yepes in concert.  Fantastic technician...
> >> thoroughly enjoyable concert.
> >> A week later, I saw Segovia.  He was a musician, an artist.  The audience was wasted
> >> emotionally afterward  ;)
>
> >I would rather watch us win than look pretty and lose.  We have the
> >talent to win now.
>
> >If I want pretty I look in the mirror.  At Victoria's Secrets not my
> >own.
>

> You miss my point.
> Who said anything about pretty.
> It's about the feel for the game... not the Xs & Os.

We disagree. To me Its not about feel it is about making the right
decision before the play (Schott), after the play (Sanchez), &
execution the team. The right decision is the one that gets a desired
and acceptable result . IMHO Schott often gets slammed for part 2 &
3.

> Mangini was the same way... an Xs & Os guy, clueless to game situations.

They both could have had more experience but Schott's resume looked
impressive when lined up with Mangini.

If I don't get back in here have a good weekend.

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Oct 16, 2010, 2:22:36 AM10/16/10

> I could write a long list of issues Schott has dealt --again--with
> different QB's, no RB's, no OL, etc. I won't waste everyone's time as
> some of you just ignore it.
>
> What?????? NO RB's????? some of the best last year and this year

I was referring to year one. It was so bad we traded w/ the 49ers.

Papa, you usually do better.

He did well with Pennington. You think it really mattered with
Favre? What one week of camp & two pre-season games and a torn bicep
tendon for the last 5 when we got dumped from the play offs?

Hey...how much does camp matter...guys can hold out and still start. Of
course, I do believe camp matters and I do not think Schott did well with
Pennington, not at all. We just see things very differently on this. With
Favre, the QB knew a lot more than the OC about the game.

papa.carl44

Oct 16, 2010, 2:43:19 AM10/16/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

:)

John, You are involved with a game that has a constant movement, flow and
momentum is critical in that type of sport. It doesn't have the pitfalls of
losing it by choosing to slow things down quite as much as can happen in the
ultimate American team sport...football. Schott can call ONE good play, and
even on occasions can follow it up. But then he gets overly cautious or
seems to freeze and goes to some inane set of moves that totally slows the
game, loses all momentum and he does it apparently by choice. HE breaks the
flow of the game, the rhythm...HE does not have a feel for the game. He
even admitted he had problems with that. I don't have any anxiety issues
and I don't have any personal vendetta against Mr. Schottenheimer. I met
his father twice and he was affable. What I do have is over 30 years of
direct active involvement with the game of football and I've had the
pleasure of being able to talk and converse with some very skilled
practitioners of the game and learn from them. Those are the things I base
my observations on. I don't like the Dolphins, never have like most Jets
fans. However, at times, most of the time actually, as a football fan I
enjoy watching them execute their offense based on the play selection and
how it is run. In their game against the Jets I think Henning screwed up
and broke some of his older patterns. Still, he is routinely regarded as
one of the very best OC's in the game. I actually like watching a few high
school coaches just as much in that same regard. So....I really don't care
if you think Schott is great or whatever, and I'm not too concerned if you
think I'm nuts for not liking him and thinking he is a real drawback to the
possible complete development of this team..and I definitely think he is.
But...don't suggest I have these ideas from some strange phenomena related
to insecurity or whatever. I feel like I can watch and evaluate football, I
got paid to do it and never lost a job doing it. It's still a free country
and you can look at it your way, I just don't see it that way at all.
Schott is responsible for the preparation of the players, the choice of the
scheme, the selection of the plays called and the adjustments necessary
during the game....those are the things I slam him for.

John C TX

Oct 18, 2010, 9:20:55 AM10/18/10
On Oct 16, 1:43 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "John C TX" <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:c24f8197-81cd-427f...@x42g2000yqx.googlegroups.com...

Carl - so you understand the tone of this is friendly - you ran down
few alleyways on this one.

To start off with I never said anyone was nuts. I used the term
anxious which I believe many fans become when they watch their team
struggle and I linked it with some of the Schott haters who posted
during the game at the height of their anxiety. i don't believe you
get online during games.

I could pick & choose the problems I have with each fan who dislikes
Schott. I think you are assuming that it is all directed at you. It
isn't. Like I have said to buRf, Ilike specifics, & oftentimes you
provide it.

As for you opinions on Schott, they are yours, even with your
experience it doesn't make them right or wrong. I think if anyone
posts something here they should often expect a post that is contrary
to it. You like Henning. There are many Dolphin fans who hate him.
probably some who have coached as much as you. Many people like Weis
and yesterday I saw his play calling hand a game to Houston
yesterday.

I never said Schott was great. I just think some of the criticism he
has gotten in the past doesn't consider many other factors that result
in a bad outcome. That is my opinion.

papa.carl44

Oct 18, 2010, 10:35:47 AM10/18/10

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I assumed I was one of the Schott haters, and I am....and was just speaking
up. I can understand your point of view. I really don't get emotional
during a game, I think that is something that just happens after spending a
lot of time with it. I generally like Weiss too. I think the officials
handed the game to Houston, that PI call was so bad. Perhaps yesterday was
"Let's call a lot of PI calls day." The game at the pro level has changed
so much I actually think more real "coaching" and skill at decision making
goes on at the high school and college levels. The athleticism of the pro
players, coupled with the rule changes and the role the officials now play
make the game a lot less about strategy and a lot more about taking wild
chances. That said, why does Schott concede a third and long situation?
With the way they call PI now, he could easily pick up a first with certain
patterns. Is he still afraid of Sanchez? Then that's on him too because he
will then go into a series and let the kid throw throw throw. I find it
very unsettling to watch the tools he has to work with and see what he does
with it.

John C TX

Oct 18, 2010, 11:43:27 AM10/18/10

> I assumed I was one of the Schott haters, and I am....and was just speaking
> up.  I can understand your point of view.  I really don't get emotional
> during a game, I think that is something that just happens after spending a
> lot of time with it.
I don't get emotional. Anything I yell I blame on Tourette's.

>I generally like Weiss too.  I think the officials
> handed the game to Houston, that PI call was so bad.  Perhaps yesterday was
> "Let's call a lot of PI calls day."

On KC's 1st drive there was a PI vs the Texan's rookie CB Jackson. He
hit ball then hit the receiver & they still called it. There was pass
ruled a catch that I could see hitting the ground on the replay that
they chose not to reverse. Then they hosed KC although Johnson did
catch it.

:)

. I'll bet 4 of those guys on the crew were grabbing SS checks.

Weiss made a decision at the end. 3rd & 5 with 2:36. All day they
ran the same route to the TE with success. I mean all day. They
didn't run that play but they tried a pass across the field which
failed & stopped the clock.

My buddy & I were trying to decide if KC should run it & let the
clock tick down to 2:00 min taking away one time stoppage. I would
have gone that route.

>The game at the pro level has changed
> so much I actually think more real "coaching" and skill at decision making
> goes on at the high school and college levels.  The athleticism of the pro
> players, coupled with the rule changes and the role the officials now play
> make the game a lot less about strategy and a lot more about taking wild
> chances.  That said, why does Schott concede a third and long situation?

I hate it and I agree. It started last year. So if we credit Ryan for
getting involved in the offense you could assume it is a team
decision? We are seeing more attempts this year.

> With the way they call PI now, he could easily pick up a first with certain
> patterns.  Is he still afraid of Sanchez?  Then that's on him too because he
> will then go into a series and let the kid throw throw throw.  I find it
> very unsettling to watch the tools he has to work with and see what he does
> with it.

I like some things he does & Sanchez has improved dramatically. I saw
Chris Palmer the Giants QB coach destroy David Carr down here. Carr
should have rode the pine. Neither he nor Sanchez had the experience
to be a pro QB as rookies.

I hope Schott, Cavanaugh, Callahan & Sanchez work hard over the
break. It is one reason I think the wildcat is useful w/ young QB's
They take a break & get off the field.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Oct 18, 2010, 1:22:13 PM10/18/10
In article <0arob6dapefo317qg...@4ax.com>,
buRford <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> Though, yesterday, during that period where they ran the wildcat a lot,
> Sanchez was to say
> the least, perturbed. He had been struggling, and seemed to want to work
> through it.
> And Schott kept calling the wildcat.
> It all depends when it is called.

If I understood John's point, the Jets could use the Wildcat in games
like this one where it was as effective as anything else we were doing
to sit with Sanchez and go over things some more.

His irritation at being on the sideline might be exactly what he needs
to work on to get better.

harlan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Oct 18, 2010, 4:39:25 PM10/18/10

buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:22:13 -0400, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com>
> wrote:
> >In article <0arob6dapefo317qgpemub844rmmofh...@4ax.com>,

> Or, the only way to work through shoddy play/decision-making, is to be ON
> the field.

To make the mistake again?

I am not saying any coach uses the Wildcat as a cool down or coaching
moment as I really don't know. I will say I could care less if a
player is upset for sitting a few minutes if the coach thinks that is
best short & long term.

But he doesn't sit...he goes to WR, and then backs up. That is a complete
giveaway of a player. Do you think he is going to stop the CB when the ball
is run and the CB breaks to the inside? The Wildcat is run to speed up the
game, put the defense on it's heels. It can move the football and do it
quickly, it's drawback is it becomes less and less useful as the field
shortens and it becomes a lot easier to defend on a short field. I have NO
problem with them using it correctly, put one of their big time WR's out
there not Sanchez...let the passing game get into the scheme too, if that
happens the D MUST respect it and not crowd the line, then you will see some
serious movement. But...it is very hard to score in the Red Zone with that
offense and it always was, even when they called it a Single Wing.

Message has been deleted