Jets Trade For Offensive Tackle Jeff Otah

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 23, 2012, 9:57:14 PM7/23/12
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Jets-Trade-with-Panthers-for-T-Jeff-Otah/7e68e9f4-4ac2-451f-bec2-abbdea63bb21

"The New York Jets have acquired tackle Jeff Otah in a trade with the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed conditional draft choice. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Otah (6'6", 340) initially entered the NFL as a first-round selection (19th overall) of the Panthers in 2008. In four seasons with Carolina, Otah started all 29 games that he played. Last season, he started four of the first five games before he was inactive at Atlanta on Oct. 16 and placed on injured reserve with a knee injury three days later.

In his first two seasons, Otah started 25 of a possible 32 games at right tackle, helping the Panthers establish team highs in rushing yards both seasons. In 2009 he blocked for running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart as the pair became the first set of teammates in NFL history to each rush for more than 1,100 yards in the same season."

John C TX

Jul 24, 2012, 9:18:08 AM7/24/12
On Monday, July 23, 2012 8:57:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Jets-Trade-with-Panthers-for-T-Jeff-Otah/7e68e9f4-4ac2-451f-bec2-abbdea63bb21
>
> "The New York Jets have acquired tackle Jeff Otah in a trade with the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed conditional draft choice. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
>
> Otah (6'6", 340) initially entered the NFL as a first-round selection (19th overall) of the Panthers in 2008. In four seasons with Carolina, Otah started all 29 games that he played. Last season, he started four of the first five games before he was inactive at Atlanta on Oct. 16 and placed on injured reserve with a knee injury three days later.
>
> In his first two seasons, Otah started 25 of a possible 32 games at right tackle, helping the Panthers establish team highs in rushing yards both seasons. In 2009 he blocked for running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart as the pair became the first set of teammates in NFL history to each rush for more than 1,100 yards in the same season."

Maybe the confidence in Hunter isn't all that great?

:)

He is a free agent so maybe he works his ass off. It would have been nice to have him in the earlier camps.

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 24, 2012, 9:54:53 AM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:18:08 AM UTC-4, John C TX wrote:
> On Monday, July 23, 2012 8:57:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> > http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Jets-Trade-with-Panthers-for-T-Jeff-Otah/7e68e9f4-4ac2-451f-bec2-abbdea63bb21
> >
> > "The New York Jets have acquired tackle Jeff Otah in a trade with the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed conditional draft choice. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
> >
> > Otah (6'6", 340) initially entered the NFL as a first-round selection (19th overall) of the Panthers in 2008. In four seasons with Carolina, Otah started all 29 games that he played. Last season, he started four of the first five games before he was inactive at Atlanta on Oct. 16 and placed on injured reserve with a knee injury three days later.
> >
> > In his first two seasons, Otah started 25 of a possible 32 games at right tackle, helping the Panthers establish team highs in rushing yards both seasons. In 2009 he blocked for running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart as the pair became the first set of teammates in NFL history to each rush for more than 1,100 yards in the same season."
>
> Maybe the confidence in Hunter isn't all that great?
>
> :)
>
> He is a free agent so maybe he works his ass off. It would have been nice to have him in the earlier camps.

I dont even know what his medical status is... He's been hampered by injuries since he came into the league... Is that knee injury healed or is he still in the middle of a re-hab ?

John C TX

Jul 24, 2012, 9:48:44 AM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:18:08 AM UTC-5, John C TX wrote:
> On Monday, July 23, 2012 8:57:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> > http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/Jets-Trade-with-Panthers-for-T-Jeff-Otah/7e68e9f4-4ac2-451f-bec2-abbdea63bb21
> >
> > "The New York Jets have acquired tackle Jeff Otah in a trade with the Carolina Panthers for an undisclosed conditional draft choice. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
> >
> > Otah (6'6", 340) initially entered the NFL as a first-round selection (19th overall) of the Panthers in 2008. In four seasons with Carolina, Otah started all 29 games that he played. Last season, he started four of the first five games before he was inactive at Atlanta on Oct. 16 and placed on injured reserve with a knee injury three days later.
> >
> > In his first two seasons, Otah started 25 of a possible 32 games at right tackle, helping the Panthers establish team highs in rushing yards both seasons. In 2009 he blocked for running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart as the pair became the first set of teammates in NFL history to each rush for more than 1,100 yards in the same season."
>
> Maybe the confidence in Hunter isn't all that great?
>
> :)
>
> He is a free agent so maybe he works his ass off. It would have been nice to have him in the earlier camps.

This written by a fan.What is interesting is how he leads off. This is a smart move in that worst case we cut him & we are no worse off than we were. If he works out then it makes sense as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-jeff-otah-jets-trade-addition-subtraction-carolina-031700795--nfl.html

If you had told any knowledgeable Carolina Panthers fans back in 2009 that Jeff Otah would be traded in 2012 for a cup of coffee, not a single one of them would have believed it. The guy was simply a beast that seemed totally unstoppable. He was the ultimate force for a running game that was ready to explode with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. At times, the guy would leave holes so wide that I think I might have been able to hit them in my prime.

As a huge Panthers fan, I have hoped for two years that Otah would recover from the repeated knee problems he suffered from. This was supposed to be the year...again. After another bitterly disappointing lead in to training camp, the Panthers finally cut ties with the big man. I actually find myself relieved in some ways.

When a player becomes a constant liability for any reason, you have to consider cutting ties with them. Jeff Otah was becoming a liability for a number of reasons.

He was starting to get a "soft" label, though that could be purely press driven. The fact is, he has been fighting off the same knee injury for what has become years now. That is a financial liability for the Panthers.

He has been a liability for planning purposes as well. Every season he was penciled in at right tackle and every season he ended up unable to play in the end. That messed around with draft pick needs, planning and even the advancement of other talent.

Otah was a liability in the locker room indirectly, if not directly. I have played football and been around many locker rooms and this type of thing can become a problem. Otah seems to have been well respected, but I guarantee the other offensive linemen got sick of the on again off again expectation of playing time. When a guy takes far longer than usual to recover from an injury, you have to question things.

The truth is, Otah is a huge man and does not have the typical situation. His knees are carrying a massive amount of weight around. Perhaps his injury is really not healing properly for those reasons. Whatever the case, Otah is still a liability from a business and fan's standpoint.

Jeff Otah is not your average guy and the New York Jets certainly were smart to pursue him. They got him for next to nothing, so if he pulls through for them and fixes that knee, he will be a huge asset. The fact remains, however, that the Carolina Panthers are better off now. They can move ahead with a modicum of certainty about their line and plan accordingly.

*Southern is a huge Carolina Panthers fan that is convinced that he will see a Super Bowl Trophy in Charlotte within five years.

papacarl

Jul 24, 2012, 10:04:16 AM7/24/12

wrote in message
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good....a little late, but good.

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 24, 2012, 11:28:01 AM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:48:44 AM UTC-4, John C TX wrote:
> [...]
>

> The truth is, Otah is a huge man and does not have the typical situation. His knees are carrying a massive amount of weight around. Perhaps his injury is really not healing properly for those reasons. Whatever the case, Otah is still a liability from a business and fan's standpoint.
>

> Jeff Otah is not your average guy and the New York Jets certainly were smart to pursue him. They got him for next to nothing, so if he pulls through for them and fixes that knee, he will be a huge asset. The fact remains, however, that the Carolina Panthers are better off now. They can move ahead with a modicum of certainty about their line and plan accordingly.
>

> *Southern is a huge Carolina Panthers fan that is convinced that he will see a Super Bowl Trophy in Charlotte within five years.

thank you for posting... this is a help... still leaves me with important questions... i could seach the web, but may be other posters in here already know the details.

The two important questions are:

1. Yes, I know it is a "knee" but what about the knee ??? What exactly ??? Ligaments ??? One or both... Torn or sprained... Have they been repaired ???

2. What is is current diagnosis/prognosis ??? Is he currently in the middle of of a rehab or is he ready to join camp and work out ???

Also nice to know... Laron Landry was put in the PUP list.

papacarl

Jul 24, 2012, 12:46:04 PM7/24/12

wrote in message
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oh great....wonderful decisions...they cut Leonhard and an added safety
can't play....very good work.

MZ

Jul 24, 2012, 7:15:56 PM7/24/12
It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't matter. They come off at any time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate (ie. within a week) on PUP.

The "real" PUP list comes later.

papacarl

Jul 24, 2012, 8:04:19 PM7/24/12

"MZ" wrote in message
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge gamble on
this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the knack of
getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he seems to
need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the safety
play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is because of
what is happening up front or not happening actually.

MZ

Jul 24, 2012, 9:47:58 PM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:04:19 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> "MZ" wrote in message
>
> It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't matter. They come off at any
> time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate (ie.
> within a week) on PUP.
>
> The "real" PUP list comes later.
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge gamble on
> this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the knack of
> getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he seems to
> need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the safety
> play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is because of
> what is happening up front or not happening actually.

Rex's defenses have beaten the crap out of New England's defenses, and I don't think Rex has had exceedingly more talent. BB can't hold a candle to Rex as a defensive schemer. As a head coach on the other hand...

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 24, 2012, 11:24:31 PM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:47:58 PM UTC-4, MZ wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:04:19 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> > "MZ" wrote in message
> >
> > It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't matter. They come off at any
> > time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate (ie.
> > within a week) on PUP.
> >
> > The "real" PUP list comes later.
> > ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> >
> > Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge gamble on
> > this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the knack of
> > getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he seems to
> > need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the safety
> > play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is because of
> > what is happening up front or not happening actually.
>
> Rex's defenses have beaten the crap out of New England's defenses, and I don't think Rex has had exceedingly more talent. BB can't hold a candle to Rex as a defensive schemer. As a head coach on the other hand...

Mark... As far as how BB and Rex will stack-up as head coaches... It is way too soon to make that call. Consider what people thought of BB his first three seaons as a HC and then what people thik of Rex at this three season juncture. Rex wins hands down. Also... They are not the same style of HC. With BB it is his show... With Rex, it is his defensive show... As HC that *CAN* be OK if you pick the right people to run the other half of the team.

As far as talent level... BB had a good cookie cutter defense that worked well. Play the run on 1st and 2nd with a read and react two gap 34, then go balls out one gap 43 after forcing 3rd and long. What the problem is now, is he does not have the front seven he did in years gone by. The LB corps especially. It seems to me now, that BB has tossed that old scheme out and has taken a lesson from the defense that beat him in the superbowl twice. A one gap 43 with four defensive ends :-) IMHO... That defense sucks unless you play the pats 18 times a year :-)

As far as what Rex does on defense... Some coaches make adjustments at half time.... On the defensive side of the ball, Rex makes adjustments from play to play and drive to drive. In all my years as a fan, his defensive play calling and schemeing is the most complex and impressive. Thus far, he only fucked up wiht the absolute worst call once... That being, the all out blitz vs. Tebow and the option that lead to a Denver TD. That single bad call, IMHO cost them their post season last year. Who calls an all out blitz vs the option ????

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 24, 2012, 11:28:23 PM7/24/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:04:19 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> "MZ" wrote in message
>
> It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't matter. They come off at any
> time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate (ie.
> within a week) on PUP.
>
> The "real" PUP list comes later.
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge gamble on
> this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the knack of
> getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he seems to
> need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the safety
> play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is because of
> what is happening up front or not happening actually.

Papa... Yes.. HUGE gamble... Not in money, but in their season. Landry has crapped out every year... No reason to expext he wont crap out again. Just look at the dude... What is he taking ??? HGH ??? His connecting tissues and joints cant handle his muscle strenght.

Dig this... If Landry craps out, the Jets starting safties will be Erick Smith and Bell... Tight ends will feast as usual... But may be one of the new guys they drafted will surprise us... Who knows...

papacarl

Jul 24, 2012, 11:36:34 PM7/24/12

"MZ" wrote in message
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I said, Rex has it all as the defensive schemer...that was my point.
But...I think Rex has had the top level D backs as far as his corners are
concerned. Revis is the best there is, and Cromartie is pretty damn good.
BB can take an O player and get him to perform back there in situations.
Rex has not had good luck and I think a lot of those issues especially with
safeties has been driven by what is happening in front of them. The
safeties have had way too much run responsibility and there would be no pass
rush if it were not for LB's and Rex's schemes. As a head coach...it is not
even a contest, BB wins hands down.

papacarl

Jul 24, 2012, 11:39:40 PM7/24/12

wrote in message
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you...now do you see why I am far less than optimistic. I have NO
idea why they think Landry will be anything but another injured player. I
have to believe Rex still thinks that with the top corner combo in the
League he can scheme away bad talent elsewhere. I think guys like BB and a
few others have figured that out and will eat him alive.

John C TX

Jul 25, 2012, 8:50:15 AM7/25/12
On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:28:23 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:04:19 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> > "MZ" wrote in message
> >
> > It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't matter. They come off at any
> > time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate (ie.
> > within a week) on PUP.
> >
> > The "real" PUP list comes later.
> > ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> >
> > Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge gamble on
> > this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the knack of
> > getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he seems to
> > need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the safety
> > play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is because of
> > what is happening up front or not happening actually.
>
> Papa... Yes.. HUGE gamble... Not in money, but in their season. Landry has crapped out every year... No reason to expext he wont crap out again. Just look at the dude... What is he taking ??? HGH ??? His connecting tissues and joints cant handle his muscle strenght.

He played every game his first three years. He had groin injuries in the past & last year it was his hammie.

His rep at LSU was the king of HGH. He is a fanatic for lifting.

> Dig this... If Landry craps out, the Jets starting safties will be Erick Smith and Bell... Tight ends will feast as usual... But may be one of the new guys they drafted will surprise us... Who knows...

I think they started believing their own BS when they let Rhodes go. I was he better than Eric Smith?

John C TX

Jul 25, 2012, 9:36:26 AM7/25/12
If Otah can play close to like he did in years 1 & 2 we will have a RT for the 1st time in years that doesn't need 2 TE's & a FB to block.

Woody sucked too.

papacarl

Jul 25, 2012, 2:21:03 PM7/25/12

"John C TX" wrote in message
I totally agree there...always felt Rhodes was better than Smith...and I
don't buy the he was "unhappy" crap either...they put up with Holmes who is
the King of BS and crap.

John C TX

Jul 25, 2012, 3:10:30 PM7/25/12
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:21:03 PM UTC-5, papacarl wrote:
> "John C TX" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:28:23 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:04:19 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> > > "MZ" wrote in message
> > >
> > > It's early. This is the PUP list that doesn't
> > matter. They come off at any
> > > time. It makes sense to put any player whose return is not immediate
> > (ie.
> > > within a week) on PUP.
> > >
> > > The "real" PUP list comes later.
> > >
> > ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
> > >
> > > Thanks...I sort of knew that...but they are still taking a huge
> > gamble on
> > > this guy I think. He has some serious injury issues. BB has the
> > knack of
> > > getting lesser D backs to play...as great as Rex is at scheming he
> > seems to
> > > need much better talent to get some things done. I still think the
> > safety
> > > play for the last couple of seasons has looked worse than it is
> > because of
> > > what is happening up front or not happening actually.
> >
> > Papa... Yes.. HUGE gamble... Not in money, but in their season. Landry has
> > crapped out every year... No reason to expext he wont crap out again.
> > Just look at the dude... What is he taking ??? HGH ??? His connecting
> > tissues and joints cant handle his muscle strenght.
>
> He played every game his first three years. He had groin injuries in the
> past & last year it was his hammie.
>
> His rep at LSU was the king of HGH. He is a fanatic for lifting.
> >
> > Dig this... If Landry craps out, the Jets starting safties will be Erick
> > Smith and Bell... Tight ends will feast as usual... But may be one of the
> > new guys they drafted will surprise us... Who knows...
>
> I think they started believing their own BS when they let Rhodes go. I was
> he better than Eric Smith?
>
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________
> I totally agree there...always felt Rhodes was better than Smith...and I
> don't buy the he was "unhappy" crap either...they put up with Holmes who is
> the King of BS and crap.

I never thought of the tools that they have kept in the shed. Just that Rhodes is a better player.

Great point.

mjd...@verizon.net

Jul 25, 2012, 4:04:54 PM7/25/12
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:21:03 PM UTC-4, papacarl wrote:
> "John C TX" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:28:23 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> > > what is happening up front or not happening actually.
> >
> > Papa... Yes.. HUGE gamble... Not in money, but in their season. Landry has
> > crapped out every year... No reason to expext he wont crap out again.
> > Just look at the dude... What is he taking ??? HGH ??? His connecting
> > tissues and joints cant handle his muscle strenght.
>
> He played every game his first three years. He had groin injuries in the
> past & last year it was his hammie.
>
> His rep at LSU was the king of HGH. He is a fanatic for lifting.
> >
> > Dig this... If Landry craps out, the Jets starting safties will be Erick
> > Smith and Bell... Tight ends will feast as usual... But may be one of the
> > new guys they drafted will surprise us... Who knows...
>
> I think they started believing their own BS when they let Rhodes go. I was
> he better than Eric Smith?
>
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________
> I totally agree there...always felt Rhodes was better than Smith...and I
> don't buy the he was "unhappy" crap either...they put up with Holmes who is
> the King of BS and crap.

papa... i liked rhodes... loaded with talent. good size and range. i think the primary reason he shuved off was leonhard. rhodes wanted to be the captian and signal caller of the DB's. Rex obviously favored leonhard for that role. due to rhodes pissing and moaning about it, rex labeled him as a selfish player... so... rhodes wanted out and rex wanted him out. it was mutual. there was also icing on the cake... i dont know if you remember the end of rex's first season. the jets blew games vs. the jags and falcons at the end. a big part of both those two losses were breakdowns in coverage that led to long pass plays that put both the falcons and jags in scoring position at the end. it was rhodes that blew the coverage on BOTH of those drives. it may also have been that he did not grasp or buy into the system. bottom line... talented dude, but he did not want to obey or believe in his coach. the way it looked to me, rhodes made his own problems with rex and the jets

papacarl

Jul 25, 2012, 11:07:08 PM7/25/12

wrote in message
I would have agreed with this once upon a time...not now...they put up with
all kinds of stuff from Holmes and some others...Revis toying with media is
NOT being a stand up guy and a leader....they allow all kinds of nonsense
that ultimately hurts the team...so they could have found a way to deal with
Rhodes....I think too often when a team or group of coaches put up with crap
that eventually they pick one guy to hammer...he may have been the nail.