Analysis: Matt Slauson isn't a downgrade from Alan Faneca in pass protection

Tutor

Oct 3, 2010, 12:39:07 AM10/3/10
October 2, 2010 9:52 PM
Analysis: Matt Slauson isn't a downgrade from Alan Faneca in pass
protection »
By Manish Mehta

Matt Slauson was brutally honest with me for a story in Sunday's Daily
News about his ongoing education as an NFL starter.

Specifically, we talked about his pass protection and how one missed
block could derail the Jets season.

"I know teams are coming after me," Slauson said. "If Mark gets hit
wrong, if anything happens, he could be out … and it could be my
fault. I think about that a lot. But I can't be scared about it. If I
play scared, he will get hit."

Slauson said he has a long way to go to fill Alan Faneca's shoes. But
the numbers suggest that he hasn't been a downgrade in pass
protection.

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Faneca allowed six sacks, two hits
and 15 pressures in 2009. In three games with the Cardinals this year,
Faneca has given up one sack, one hit and an eye-opening 10 pressures
on the quarterback. He gave up four pressures in Week 1, a sack, a hit
and four pressures in Week 2 and a pair of pressures last week. His
only penalty this season was declined.

By comparison, Slauson has allowed two sacks, no hits and one pressure
on Sanchez, according to ProFootballFocus.com. Last week, he committed
three penalties, including a pair of critical holding calls that wiped
out a completion that would have given the Jets the ball at the Miami
5, and Sanchez's touchdown scramble.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/10/analysis-matt-slauson-isnt-a-d.html#ixzz11GdpCIDd

Tutor

Oct 3, 2010, 12:42:15 AM10/3/10
Matt Slauson trying to fill Alan Faneca's shoes & hold the line for
the New York Jets
BY Manish Mehta
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, October 2nd 2010, 3:37 PM

He was steamrolled by a 350-pound Tongan tank when the thought crossed
his mind for the millionth time: I'm going to get my quarterback
killed.

For all the strides Matt Slauson has made since taking over as the
Jets' starting left guard, he knows being good most of the time isn't
good enough. His job is as simple as it is critical to the Jets' Super
Bowl dreams: Protect Mark Sanchez on every play.

So, when Ravens defensive end Haloti Ngata ran over Slauson before
sacking Sanchez in the season opener, more questions arose over
Slauson's readiness to take over for nine-time Pro Bowler Alan Faneca.
The second-year offensive lineman has accepted the pressure of making
sure the Jets' $50 Million Man stays upright, but can he deliver?

"I think about that all the time," said Slauson, whose education
continues against the Bills Sunday. "I know teams are coming after me.

If Mark gets hit wrong, if anything happens, he could be out … and it
could be my fault. I think about that a lot. But I can't be scared
about it. If I play scared, he will get hit."

* * *

The Jets' pass protection has been uneven so far, allowing five sacks
in the first two games before keeping Sanchez clean last week. Despite
the perception to the contrary, Slauson has made incremental
improvements. He's logged plenty of hours in the film room with
offensive line coach Bill Callahan to better anticipate scenarios,
improve communication with the rest of the offensive line and "play
faster with his eyes," Callahan said. He also has a better feel for
making calls on certain plays.

"He's striving for perfection," said Callahan, who coached Slauson at
Nebraska. "He wants to be precise."

Mistakes, of course, can prove costly with Sanchez's health at stake.
Although the second-year quarterback insists that he doesn't "even
worry about Slauson," the truth is that one missed block could derail
the season.

"He took such a bad rap in that (Ravens) game," Sanchez said. "He had
one bad play. That just goes to show you how tough it is to play in
this league, especially at his position. I'm not sugarcoating it. I'd
tell you, 'Hey, he needs to do much better,' but the dude's doing a
really good job."

There have been some close shaves since Slauson started competing with
rookie Vlad Ducasse for the vacant spot. The "Hard Knocks" cameras
caught general manager Mike Tannenbaum cringing at Slauson's missed
block against the Panthers in the preseason. Tannenbaum specifically
mentioned season-ending knee injuries to Carson Palmer and Tom Brady,
while watching the replay of Carolina defensive tackle Derek Landri
beating Slauson and diving at Sanchez's knees. "You see that and you
say, 'Is Ducasse that bad?'" the general manager said at the time. As
a result of that play, the team mandated that Sanchez wear a knee
brace.

Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/10/02/2010-10-02_slausons_holding_the_line_for_the_jets.html#ixzz11GedsBZe

Michael

Oct 3, 2010, 10:26:54 AM10/3/10
> Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/10/02/2010-10-02...

also good to keep in mind... faneca is not getting younger... it is a
sure bet that he is going to continue his decline. slauson at least
has it all in front of him. the way i have been seeing it, his
problems are with his ability to quickly recover and reset. he can
work on that. once he gets his guy locked up, he's very good. when
he got blown over by ngata it was because he was not set properly. he
can get that much fixed at least.

John C TX

Oct 4, 2010, 9:09:19 AM10/4/10

He has done OK. We miss many of the things Faneca can do very well.

Tutor

Oct 4, 2010, 11:59:15 AM10/4/10
> He has done OK.  We miss many of the things Faneca can do very well.- Hide quoted text -

look, I'm not defending the move and still would like to know the
*real* reason they cut Faneca loose, but the Cardinals gave up 9 sacks
yesterday and rushed for less than 50 yards against the Chargers.
Slauson gave up no sacks for the second straight game and committed no
penalties. This is his fourth career start. I still think we vastly
overrate Faneca. But I admit, Tanny saved no money by cutting him and
the team is pretty thin on the oline.

Michael

Oct 4, 2010, 2:21:36 PM10/4/10
> the team is pretty thin on the oline.- Hide quoted text -

i think the "real" reason was that faneca was doing the same thing
with the jets that some steeler fans have told me he was doing
there... "bucking the system" in so that he knew more than the coaches
did as far as how to run the o-line. he was a quite agitator. add
that up with his poor pass protection, age and that = he's gone. i
cant prove it, but i think that is the "real reason". he was
agitating.

John C TX

Oct 4, 2010, 2:23:28 PM10/4/10

Slausson is probably an improvement on some running plays & may
ultimately prove to be a far superior pass blocker -- we don't know--
and maybe by play offs this is smart. I agree iwth what you wrote.

btw the Cardinals are my case in point that the QB drives how smart
the OC looks. How smart does Whisenhunt -- i assume he calls the
plays--look right now?

Michael

Oct 4, 2010, 2:39:44 PM10/4/10
> plays--look right now?- Hide quoted text -

i knew that team was doomed without warner. he pretty much uplifted
that entire organization. even when boldin was out, they still had
tremendous production. it was not wisenhunt... it was all warner...
that includes their running game too that was only decent at times
because defences were pissing their pants in coverage

Tutor

Oct 4, 2010, 5:46:42 PM10/4/10
> plays--look right now?- Hide quoted text -

I remember how awful Warner looked behind that terrible Giants
Oline. A couple of years later he becomes superman ala his Rams days,
behind the Arizonal line.

Now other than Faneca at guard, what other changes have been made on
the Zonal OL? They look like dog poo now.

John C TX

Oct 5, 2010, 5:06:23 PM10/5/10

It is part of my frustration when people scream about offensive
coordinators. As I have said before it ain't the x's & the o's it is
the jimmies & the joes.

MZ

Oct 5, 2010, 5:17:54 PM10/5/10
On 10/5/2010 5:06 PM, John C TX wrote:
> On Oct 4, 4:46 pm, Tutor<dcat4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Slausson is probably an improvement on some running plays& may

>>> ultimately prove to be a far superior pass blocker -- we don't know--
>>> and maybe by play offs this is smart. I agree iwth what you wrote.
>>
>>> btw the Cardinals are my case in point that the QB drives how smart
>>> the OC looks. How smart does Whisenhunt -- i assume he calls the
>>> plays--look right now?- Hide quoted text -

>> I remember how awful Warner looked behind that terrible Giants
>> Oline. A couple of years later he becomes superman ala his Rams days,
>> behind the Arizonal line.
>>
>> Now other than Faneca at guard, what other changes have been made on
>> the Zonal OL? They look like dog poo now.
>
> It is part of my frustration when people scream about offensive
> coordinators. As I have said before it ain't the x's& the o's it is
> the jimmies& the joes.

Explain Kansas City. :)

John C TX

Oct 5, 2010, 5:29:46 PM10/5/10

Bill Muir OL coach?

:)

It is obviously a combination of factors but they now have 2 solid
RB's and maybe a stud at TE.