Sanchez - What to expect?

BicketyBam

Sep 10, 2010, 8:29:07 PM9/10/10
I am really baffled as to what to expect from 2nd year quarterback, Mark
Sanchez. I don't really follow college football, so I didn't see much of
his college career (not that there was a lot to follow). I've seen enough
pro football to know that rookie QB's that start in the NFL right out of
college typically struggle. I pretty much got what I expected out of
Sanchez last year, which was fair to foul with a couple flashes of good to
very good. But this year I really don't know what to expect. Based on
preseason, I would say not much. And the reports that I have read all seem
to say the same thing - he hasn't improved with a full year of experience
under his belt.

I took a look at Eli Manning's first two years and put them with Sanchez's
first.

Games ATT Comp Pct ATT/G Yds Avg
Manning (04) 9 197 95 48.2 21.9 1043 5.3
Manning (05) 16 557 294 52.8 34.8 3762 6.8
Sanchez 15 364 196 53.8 24.3 2444 6.7

Yds/GmTD TD% INT INT% Lng 20+ 40+ Rate
Manning (04) 115.9 6 3 9 4.6 52 11 4 55.4
Manning (05) 235.1 24 4.3 17 3.1 78T 49 8 75.9
Sanchez 162.9 12 3.3 20 5.5 65T 34 8 63

I guess the million dollar question is can Sanchez put together a 2nd year
that is comparable to Eli's 2nd year. I know there is no way he is going to
put the ball up 34 times per game. That is not how this team is built. But
a QB rating of 75 - 80, 20 td's and 10 or less int's would make me happy.
What do you guy think? Is this a reasonable expectation?

JKConey

Sep 10, 2010, 8:42:33 PM9/10/10

"BicketyBam" <Blo...@joemama.net> wrote in message

> I am really baffled as to what to expect from 2nd year quarterback, Mark
> Sanchez. I don't really follow college football, so I didn't see much of
> his college career (not that there was a lot to follow). I've seen enough
> pro football to know that rookie QB's that start in the NFL right out of

I expect more of the same. Looks to me like he's still a couple years
away from being a reliable every game guy. That said, defense and running
game can go a long way.

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

euphy

Sep 10, 2010, 8:56:55 PM9/10/10

A sophomore slump is coming. Yeah man. Get ready for it.

Message has been deleted

BicketyBam

Sep 10, 2010, 9:06:13 PM9/10/10
euphy <eüphe...@mindspring.com> wrote in

Fair enough, but based on what? A Dolhins' fan desire to see him suck?
If so, then I can just as easily say he will have a breakout year :)

BicketyBam

Sep 10, 2010, 9:07:32 PM9/10/10
graybeard <gray...@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> More of the same what? Here's what folks forget:
>
> Sanchez played 19 games last year, including playoffs, and had totals
> of 16 TD's and 22 Int's. In 4 of those games he had 2 TD's and 15
> Int's. That means in the other 15 games (almost a full season) he had
> 14 TD's and 7 Int's. Are we remembering only the bad Sanchez? It seems
> to me that our #1 defense gave away more games in the 4th quarter than
> Sanchez cost us.

That is an excellent point, Grey, and that is why I put this out there. I
never looked at it that way. And I totally agree with you about the
defense.

JKConey

Sep 11, 2010, 11:47:56 AM9/11/10

"euphy" <eüphe...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On 9/10/2010 7:29 PM, BicketyBam wrote:

> A sophomore slump is coming. Yeah man. Get ready for it.

Slump from what? 12-20?

--

www.myconeyislandmemories.com

Johnny Morongo

Sep 11, 2010, 2:25:36 PM9/11/10
On Sep 10, 6:04 pm, graybeard <graybe...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> More of the same what? Here's what folks forget:
>
> Sanchez played 19 games last year, including playoffs, and had totals of
> 16 TD's and 22 Int's. In 4 of those games he had 2 TD's and 15 Int's.
> That means in the other 15 games (almost a full season) he had 14 TD's
> and 7 Int's. Are we remembering only the bad Sanchez? It seems to me
> that our #1 defense gave away more games in the 4th quarter than Sanchez
> cost us.
> --
> graybeard

Right on, Gray. Put me down for expecting him to be a WHOLE lot
better than what most seem to expect. He's got the arm, is very
mobile and throws very well on the run. That and the fact that he
DOES know the playbook so much better. If he's not better by leaps
and bounds, we'll be drafting a QB next year, at the very least to
scare Sancho out of brain deadness. Rex doesn't sound to me like he's
a really patient guy. We'll move on quickly.

euphy

Sep 13, 2010, 9:42:42 PM9/13/10

Based on nothing but what seems like a real phenomena with many players.
I think Dolfans may see a slump from Henne. This is his 2nd year as a
starter.