Re: BTW... in case anyone forgot/didn't know...

Message has been deleted

Tutor

Jan 7, 2011, 8:53:38 AM1/7/11
On Jan 7, 8:23 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Overtime rules have been changed for the post-season... if a team kicks a FG, the other
> team gets one chance to match the score.  If they tie it up, then from then on it's
> sudden-death.
> I like this, although it seemingly gives a bit of an advantage, to the team that doesn't
> get the ball initially.  Teams that get the ball, will now opt to try to get a TD, rather
> than playing for the FG.  So, there's a bit of extra pressure, and more of a possibility
> of making a mistake.
> Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
>
> A look at new overtime rules for playoffs
> By Tim Graham
> ESPN.com
>
> In case you'd forgotten, NFL owners several months ago instituted new overtime rules that
> eliminate the possibility of the game ending on an opening-drive field goal in the
> playoffs.
>
> Good. Because that's dull.
>
> But we haven't seen these new rules yet because they weren't adopted for the regular
> season. That means this weekend's wild-card playoff games will be the first time we could
> see multiple-possession overtimes.
>
> At least one overtime game has transpired in nine of the past 10 postseasons. There were
> two last year.
>
> Here's a primer of the new OT rules (NFC West blogger Mike Sando posted the actual
> passages from Rule 16, Article 4 of the NFL Rule Book):
>
>     * The game does not end if the team that receives the opening kickoff makes a field
> goal on its initial possession. But the game is over if the team that receives the opening
> kickoff scores a touchdown on its initial possession.
>     * Each team must have the opportunity to possess the ball -- unless a touchdown is
> scored on the opening drive. Note that an "opportunity to possess" would include instances
> of onside kicks and fumbled kickoffs or punts.
>     * If the team that kicks off first ties the game with a field goal on its next
> possession, then the game becomes a true sudden-death affair. The next team to score will
> win.
>     * A defensive touchdown on the first possession would end the game automatically.
>     * There will be no coaching challenges. All video reviews will be initiated by the
> replay assistant.
>
> New York Jets coach Rex Ryan foreshadowed his strategy for the revamped overtime process.
> There could be strategic advantages to winning the coin flip and playing defense first.
>
> "Obviously, it's an advantage if a team kicks a field goal on you," Ryan said. "If you
> have a chance to come back, then you're basically playing four-down football until you can
> kick a field goal or score a touchdown. I think that's the advantage for the team that
> gets the ball second or if that team scores initially."

Team A wins the toss and takes the ball and kicks a fieldgoal.

Team B gets the ball. Needs to score 3 to extend the game or a TD to
win. So its offense is in 4 down territory from the moment it gets
the ball until it gets into field goal range. Say it gets to 4th and
2 or 3 around the 25 yard line. Coach has a real hard decision to
make. Go for the FG to extend the game? Or go for the first down in
an attempt to extend the drive to get the TD to win the game. Miss
the FG: game over. Go for a first down and get stopped: Game over.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Jan 7, 2011, 10:21:15 AM1/7/11
In article
<63c7bace-a252-45ec...@fo10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Tutor <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Actually, I think this is bogus. On 4th and 1 you take the points.

The real difference, the one no one is talking about, is if you get the
ball to the 25 yard line (or for better kickers the 30).

With the old rules, you ran the ball to make the kick shorter and on the
hash mark your kicker liked.

Winning coaches (or coaching to win) will no longer just run the ball
cautiously to set up a FG (as will cowardly, play not to lose coaches).
Getting a FG on a first possession will give one's opponent an easier
time: on every series they get all four downs plus the knowledge they
must score a TD. In the hands of a Peyton or Brady or Brees or Vick (I
think everyone gets the idea), scoring first with just a FG may improve
an opponent's chances of beating you.

Winning coaches will be forced to not make such conservative calls when
they get in FG range. They will need to still try to get a TD.

The first and second down calls when the ball moves to within FG range
will be the huge difference that no one is talking about..

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Jan 7, 2011, 10:22:42 AM1/7/11
In article
<22476915-970c-4aac...@j1g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>,
John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just plain stupid.
>
> Eliminate OT in eh regular season.
>
> In the play offs play 2-6 min periods with each team getting the wind
> in one period nut no sudden death. If it is tied at teh end of 12
> minutes, kick off & play sudden death.

I like the first part of your plan. I think the obsession with having a
winner instead of admitting that two teams are just equal is bad for the
American psyche.

I actually think the new rules as written work.

harlan

Keith Keller

Jan 7, 2011, 10:33:37 AM1/7/11
On 2011-01-07, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:

> I like the first part of your plan. I think the obsession with having a
> winner instead of admitting that two teams are just equal is bad for the
> American psyche.

I think that, for the regular season, if a game is tied after
regulation, the two teams should play 7 on 7 for five minutes. If
they're still tied, then they go to penalty field goals. That should
certainly make the game more exciting! Look at how well it's ''worked''
for the NHL!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. :) Obsessing with making a winner gets you
an idiotic system that makes your entire league look foolish. (Though
obviously you need to have a way to decide a playoff game; the current
system seems fine.)

Anyone know what proportion of NFL regular season and/or playoff games
end regulation tied?

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Jan 7, 2011, 12:57:16 PM1/7/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

What has always bothered me is two teams play a Hell of a game, tough and
determined...then because of a rule, and some luck, one team gets to be the
"winner"....it goes against the entire idea of the game. OMHO, Papa Carl

Keith Keller

Jan 7, 2011, 2:38:38 PM1/7/11
On 2011-01-07, John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My concern is you get the ball, drive the field & take the points &
> lose off a TD. It just seems wrong. You are probably at an advantage
> by having the other team kick a FG. Every series is a 4 down series
> so the defense has to play tighter making your options greater with
> pass. Even if you run it you have to get 3, 2, 3 & 2 yards. If you
> get 6 on the 1st why pass at all?
>
> This is a HUGE advantage to the Mannings of the world.

If it's such a huge advantage, just elect to kick off if you win the
toss. :)

Johnny Morongo

Jan 8, 2011, 2:18:30 PM1/8/11
On Jan 7, 11:38 am, Keith Keller <kkeller-use...@wombat.san-
francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2011-01-07, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > My concern is you get the ball, drive the field & take the points &
> > lose off a TD.  It just seems wrong.  You are probably at an advantage
> > by having the other team kick a FG.  Every series is a 4 down series
> > so the defense has to play tighter making your options greater with
> > pass. Even if you run it you have to get 3, 2, 3 & 2 yards.  If you
> > get 6 on the 1st why pass at all?
>
> > This is a HUGE advantage to the Mannings of the world.
>
> If it's such a huge advantage, just elect to kick off if you win the
> toss.  :)
>
> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller-use...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

> (try just my userid to email me)
> AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
> see X- headers for PGP signature information

Even if you're giving the ball to Manning, Brady, Brees or Vick?
Really?

Receive and go into four down game calling. Just do it.

John C TX

Jan 9, 2011, 9:19:00 PM1/9/11
On Jan 7, 1:38 pm, Keith Keller <kkeller-use...@wombat.san-
francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2011-01-07, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > My concern is you get the ball, drive the field & take the points &
> > lose off a TD.  It just seems wrong.  You are probably at an advantage
> > by having the other team kick a FG.  Every series is a 4 down series
> > so the defense has to play tighter making your options greater with
> > pass. Even if you run it you have to get 3, 2, 3 & 2 yards.  If you
> > get 6 on the 1st why pass at all?
>
> > This is a HUGE advantage to the Mannings of the world.
>
> If it's such a huge advantage, just elect to kick off if you win the
> toss.  :)
>
> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller-use...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

> (try just my userid to email me)
> AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
> see X- headers for PGP signature information

Funny and buRf it is better but I am with Papa it goes against the
grain of fair.

Keith Keller

Jan 9, 2011, 10:44:37 PM1/9/11
On 2011-01-10, John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Funny and buRf it is better but I am with Papa it goes against the
> grain of fair.

I don't think the right question is, "Is it fair?" I think the question
is, "Is it more fair than what the NFL had before?" Would you rather
kick off to Manning (or, apparently, Sanchez?!?) and have to stop him
from getting to field goal range, or would you rather take the ball, get
a field goal, and have to stop him from getting a touchdown? Or
similarly, would you rather have to kick off to Manning and hold him
scoreless, or have to kick off to Manning and hold him to a field goal?

Sure, the new system isn't ideal, but the previous system was worse.
And as someone noted, coaches resist change like crazy, so perhaps this
was the best the NFL could do this year.

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us